Kathy lived in Africa?? That's so cool!

Tonyz

How do ya do? Pretty good, sure as you're born!
I had no idea. I even laughed when Pete first mentioned it last week because I thought he was just doing very dry sarcasm.

Anyone know where exactly she lived and for how long?

Kathy was an Army brat and lived there while her Father was stationed in Africa. Perhaps she will fill in the details when she sees this thread.

Kathy is Africa as third worldish as people make it out to be???

Also what do they have to eat over there I can only imagine!

Asmara was a city that had been occupied by the Italians at the end of WWII. It was more modern than when you went out into the countryside. The places we used to vacation were pretty 3rd world as compared to the US. We didn't really eat their style of food but I can remember one being (not sure of spelling) zigani.

My Dad used to bring water from the Army base to our home because you couldn't drink their water. He also had to chop wood to fire the hot water heater in the bathroom.

My Dad has asked to be assigned to Hawaii and he got Africa. The base was a "listening" post for that part of the world. We had been stationed in MA. before and after Africa. Strange that my Disney connections brought me back to MA to see where I grew up and I was able to show my daughter.

Going to Animal Kingdom in the Africa section reminds me so much of Africa. My kids get tired of hearing me say that.

Asmara was a city that had been occupied by the Italians at the end of WWII. It was more modern than when you went out into the countryside. The places we used to vacation were pretty 3rd world as compared to the US. We didn't really eat their style of food but I can remember one being (not sure of spelling) zigani.

My Dad used to bring water from the Army base to our home because you couldn't drink their water. He also had to chop wood to fire the hot water heater in the bathroom.

My Dad has asked to be assigned to Hawaii and he got Africa. The base was a "listening" post for that part of the world. We had been stationed in MA. before and after Africa. Strange that my Disney connections brought me back to MA to see where I grew up and I was able to show my daughter.

Going to Animal Kingdom in the Africa section reminds me so much of Africa. My kids get tired of hearing me say that.

This is very interesting to me. What an interesting childhood. Disney has always been good at theming especially when they Imagineers are allowed to go for it. I remember that the brought craftsman over from Africa so it would be more authentic.

Temporary (but no longer) Ghana and Tanzania transplant here. I love hearing Kathy talk about Animal Kingdom's similarity to Africa, because that strikes me every time I enter the park. DAK and AKL bring back such a flood of memories, that I really have to stop myself from making my family's DAK day be all about "I remember this one time…"

I wanted to say another note about Kathy - I just watched the podcast with her Dis story, and I found it to be really touching. She seems like such a strong, smart, and thoughtful woman - and I'm glad to have her presence (if only virtually) in my life. Thanks, Kathy!

Wow I think it is amazing that you got to live in Africa! Thank you for sharing this with us, Kathy. I know personally that next time I visit Animal Kingdom I will definitely have better appreciation for it. I mean I know Disney did all sorts of research when designing AK but hearing first hand accounts from Kathy and also @Asc341 that this is the real deal makes me excited to go back.

Going to Animal Kingdom in the Africa section reminds me so much of Africa.

I know exactly how you feel, Kathy. I grew up in the Navy (I lived in 3 states before I turned 1 and on 3 continents before I turned 8) and that's one of the reasons I love Epcot so much. For only a brief moment, I can experience places I've lived or traveled and, most importantly, eat the foods I remember from my childhood. My favorite pavilion is Japan, which was my first foreign posting. Mitsukoshi is a must-do for me, as is the Germany pavilion. it's a small world has always been our family's favorite ride, because we get to see so many of the countries we lived in and traveled to (when I was young, I used to only take pictures of those countries).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter