• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kansas City to Orlando- Any Airline Suggestions Appreciated.

Disuser

DIS Veteran
I have just read that Southwest does not have seat assignments. Wonderful!
We have 4 grandchildren ages 7-15 going with us that have never flown before so this seems unacceptable. The business fare seems quite high.

I liked Southwest because they have direct flights from Kansas City International to Orlando. Any suggestions for a good airline out of Kansas City that does not cost an arm and leg? Thank You:)

Go ahead and go with SW. At the 24 hour mark before your flight so to the SW site and check in online and print your boarding passes. DO IT RIGHT AT THE 24 HOUR MARK AND YOU WILL BE IN BOARDING GROUP A. You will then all have a seat together practically any where you want to sit in the plane.
Also go online and install DING and watch for lower fares. I would never purchase a Business fare,I'd look first for the Web special.
SW has several non-stop flights to Orlando each day and that is so much more convenient.
Good Luck!!!

Airtran is another viable option from Kansas City to Orlando. They have had low fares and usually one non-stop flight per day. You can choose your seats for an extra $6 charge (if you don't want to wait). I would say pick a flight on Southwest or Airtran, whichever has the schedule and price you prefer. Good luck!

We fly out of Kansas City and I find Air Tran to be fairly expensive. The best low cost options are Southwest and Delta. We've flown both, but Southwest is the only one of the two with non-stop flights.

With that said, do Southwest. While there is no assigned seating, it's generally not a problem. There are three possible boarding assignments, A, B or C. The A group boards first, followed by the B group, then C. It's easier if you have an A pass. The easiest way to get one is to check-in exactly twenty-four hours in advance of your flight. For the flight home, go to Guest Services at any park exactly twenty-four hours before the flight home and check-in. They will print your boarding pass for you. Disney hotels will do this too and I'm sure other non-Disney hotels will as well.

However if you get a B or C pass, it's still not a problem. The airline personnel do try and make sure that kids sit with at least one of the adults taking them on the trip. On our last Southwest flight, my husband sat with our two girls and I was sitting in a seat behind them. A dad had a C pass and was disappointed that the seats left didn't allow him to sit with his son. I promptly got up and moved, volunteering the seat I'd chosen. (The seat next to me was empty, so my moving freed up two seats next to each other.) If no one volunteers, the staff have been known to sweeten the deal with free adult beverages.

As for Delta, we've flown them before and did so this summer. It's fine and while it is a hassle to go through Atlanta, it's doable. The kids you're taking are old enough it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Ours think the "subway" in the Atlanta airport is pretty cool! My biggest complaint is the time it adds to your flight, but we didn't have any other issues.

AirTran beat SW by over $100 for our flight to MCO in November.

That's a great savings! I'm starting to think this might have to do with time of year. I just checked Air Tran for our December dates and the non-stop flights are cheaper. Downside is that I'm one of those that likes to leave early going and leave late coming back, and with that schedule, it's tough to get super great rates.

For June, Air Tran was more expensive than Delta, every time I checked.

Thank You for all the good advice. :flower3:

I might just make it to Disney World without a break down after all.:) :dance3:

Thank You for all the good advice. :flower3:

I might just make it to Disney World without a break down after all.:) :dance3:

Your DIS friends are here to help you make it to a super great vacation!

BTY-When are you going and where are you staying???

We've used both Airtran and SW this past year from MCI to MCO. In February we flew Airtran and I found great web special for DH, DD, SIL, and twin grandbabies. This was non-stop from MCI to MCO and MCI to MCO. We did not pay to pick out seat assignments but we were altogether. Flight to Orlando was mid-morning as well as our return flight.

In Sept. DH and I used SW to take twins back to WDW and the FA were fabulous with the kids. Again, I found web special that was non-stop although the flight out was at 7 a.m. but certainly did not want to have layovers but it was fine. Don't worry, as other PP have said, be certain to go out at the 24 hr. mark and get your boarding assignments. FAs were wonderful on SW and no families were separated from each other.

We've used both Airtran and SW this past year from MCI to MCO. In February we flew Airtran and I found great web special for DH, DD, SIL, and twin grandbabies. This was non-stop from MCI to MCO and MCI to MCO. We did not pay to pick out seat assignments but we were altogether. Flight to Orlando was mid-morning as well as our return flight.

In Sept. DH and I used SW to take twins back to WDW and the FA were fabulous with the kids. Again, I found web special that was non-stop although the flight out was at 7 a.m. but certainly did not want to have layovers but it was fine. Don't worry, as other PP have said, be certain to go out at the 24 hr. mark and get your boarding assignments. FAs were wonderful on SW and no families were separated from each other.

We booked our flight out of Kansas City in Jan. We paid $160.00 per person with Delta. At the time of booking, they were the cheapest. We have always used SW and get to check on board first because our kids were young. It will be interesting this time, our youngest is 2 and we have 3 kids total. I checked on flights a few days ago and you can still find flights for the same price we paid. Now they are allowing use to use our cells phones as boarding passes. Good luck.

The previous posters gave you good suggestions. It's not the end of the world if some of your grandkids get seperated. The 15 year old might prefer to sit by him/herself.

Passengers with a connecting flight sometimes arrive at the connecting city after their connecting flight has started boarding. An "A" BP doesn't do you much good if the Cs are already boarding by the time you get to the gate.

Passengers are good about moving so one adult can sit with a very young child but not a 15 year old.

Your DIS friends are here to help you make it to a super great vacation!

BTY-When are you going and where are you staying???

We are going in June and staying at the Board Walk Inn. I really have lots of time and I am glad I do. It is not cheap or easy to plan going to Disney World anymore. We went the first year Magic Kingdom opened. Right before Easter. We had the entire park to ourselves. Only about 5-6 people in any line. We have gone a few times but not since our kids were teenagers and they are in their 40's now.
Again, Thanks for your help.

I last used Airtran and had a non-stop there but not back and did pay for seat assignments. Don't be afraid to book 2 one-way tickets to get the exact times/stops/layovers you're looking for. This can sometimes be cheaper than booking a roundtrip with just one airline.

For those of you who have used Airtran, do you feel you get very good/reliable service? We've flown SW for several years and never had a flight time change. I've read lots of posts about that happening, though, with Airtran. So, while cheaper, I'm nervous to book with them. :confused3 We have a 3 hour drive before we even arrive at MCI, our closest airport. :eek: I can't fathom a mid morning flight being bumped to an early morning time and then us waking the kids at 2 a.m. just to arrive in time. I'm looking to save money by not staying in a motel the night prior. Security of SW some days overrides my desire to save money by going with Airtran. What advice is out there?

Security of SW some days overrides my desire to save money by going with Airtran. What advice is out there?

I've not flown Airtran--Call me Chicken but NO lower fare can budge me from my SW security blanket. They are on time, never change flights and I always seem to get a good fare with them. Just tonight I looked on line (Not a Ding Fare) and got $59.00 one way K.C. to Orlando. MY trip back is currently $139. but I really do expect that to change.
Just curious--where are you from????

I've not flown Airtran--Call me Chicken but NO lower fare can budge me from my SW security blanket. They are on time, never change flights and I always seem to get a good fare with them. Just tonight I looked on line (Not a Ding Fare) and got $59.00 one way K.C. to Orlando. MY trip back is currently $139. but I really do expect that to change.

*LOL* We must be going at similar times. I bought my tickets a month ago and prices just dropped to the $59/139. Lowest they've been since I started watching two months ago.

Have a great time!

Near Abilene. How about you?
$59?? What month? Wow...I thought I was doing great to book our family of 5 at $99 each. Still haven't purchased return tickets. Thus, the quandry.

I just wanted to shout out "THANK YOU" for mentioning the $59 one-way. I was able to get $200 for future use by simply rebooking the same flight I already had! WooHoo!

Near Abilene. How about you?
$59?? What month? Wow...I thought I was doing great to book our family of 5 at $99 each. Still haven't purchased return tickets. Thus, the quandry.
I am 20 miles SE of you. I live out in the country near Woodbine. Small world. We are going Dec 12/18.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter