Kali River Rapids

Ah, Kali River Rapids....DS4 is tall enough to ride this now and after seeing it featured on that Ultimate Disney t.v. special, he and my other kiddos have all been begging to ride this when we go to Disney. I am thinking that we will make this our last AK attraction for the day :laughing:

Determined not to look like a drowned rat, I wore one of the cheapo disposable ponchos on Kali. I put the hood up over my baseball cap, and did my best to tuck the plastic in around my shorts, but they still got a little wet...not to mention I looked like someone had thrown a bucket of water into my face. Anyway, at least I did not become a member of the wet tee shirt club that day.:rotfl:

This will be the 1st trip the girls are tall enough to ride. We enjoy this ride but the last time I rode in 9 years ago I really got drenched and it was hot and humid so it was only refreashing for like 5 mins then not fun. Thinking I want to ride and enjoy so thinking of making this our last ride and wearing a poncho. Does it keep you from getting drenched (a little wet is ok) but I don't want to feel like I jumped in pool with my clothes on.

I didn't realize HOW VERY SOAKED you could get the first time. It was the middle of the day (big mistake) and my daughter just couldn't go around that wet in November. I brought her extra clothes, but not underwear. I was the woman trying to dry out little girl undies in the bathroom (but I bet I'm not the 1st)!

You weren't the last either! Only I was dealing with a *screaming* child who is very particular about all things in life all of a sudden. One of those things is you don't get wet when you're in your day time clothes. Ho. Lee. Cripes. I honestly did not see his level of anger/frustration at the world coming. The only thing I could do (besides try really hard not to laugh!) was take him in to the bathroom and have him remove one piece of clothing at a time and put them under the dryer. We will NOT be making that mistake again!

:rotfl:

Love Kali!:cheer2: Our method is: wait until end of the day, and then ride several times in a row. We bring a change of clothes, including undies, in a plastic bag inside the backpack. We change into waterproof "beach sandals" before riding. When prepared, the wetter the better!:cool1:

bdklein said:
Do people ride in the middle of winter on a cold day? And if they do, I guess they change their clothes after?

We did! The day after Christmas a few years ago it was in the 40s. My mom wanted to ride it. We were the only ones on the ride. We stayed on 8 times in a row. One of my all time favorite Disney memories. We couldn't stop laughing because no matter where I sat, and i moved each time around i would always get the wave. Afterwards we left the park but didn't go straight home. We stopped at Epcot to grab a fast pass for soarin to use that evening. Needless to say we were a bit chilly by the time we got dry clothes.

Sent from my phone using DISBoards Ap, please excuse any typos and autocorrect mistakes.

I'm a religious user of the unofficial guide touring plans, i used to rip the touring plans out of the books before fancy things like smart phones came along. I have definitely stood under a hand dryer trying to delicately dry my touring plan after getting soaked on Kali. Protect the paper in your pockets that you may care about because it will get soaked too.

Sent from my phone using DISBoards Ap, please excuse any typos and autocorrect mistakes.

Been on it several times, found that if you're going down facing backwards you will get absolutely soaked compared to a light showering if going down face first :)

I would not count on the center container keeping anything dry. I would not put my camera in a case inside it without some extra protection.

Be prepared to be DRENCHED! I highly suggest putting everything you can in the lockers. If you have too much, I suggest putting the extra stuff in a locker at the front of the park (its very cheap). If you don't want to worry about 2 lockers, bring the rest with you. ;)

This will be the 1st trip the girls are tall enough to ride. We enjoy this ride but the last time I rode in 9 years ago I really got drenched and it was hot and humid so it was only refreashing for like 5 mins then not fun. Thinking I want to ride and enjoy so thinking of making this our last ride and wearing a poncho. Does it keep you from getting drenched (a little wet is ok) but I don't want to feel like I jumped in pool with my clothes on.
If you get a direct hit, the torrents of water that rain down upon you find their way into any available opening in the poncho. I was wet, but not the drowned rat I might have been without the poncho.

If you get a direct hit, the torrents of water that rain down upon you find their way into any available opening in the poncho. I was wet, but not the drowned rat I might have been without the poncho.

Ok I can deal with slightly wet, just not sure I want the drowned rat treatment:rotfl2:

How much are lockers? Is there a time on them? What forms of payment do they take? Change only? Room key/room charge?

I have ridden this ride and not gotten very wet. I have also ridden this ride and gotten completely soaked. It is a water rapids ride and it just luck of the draw. There is a compartment to put items in the middle of the raft and lockers.

Be aware that the compartment in the middle of the raft is shared by everyone seated on the raft. So if someone else's belongings take up a lot of room, it's possible that your things wouldn't be able to fit into the compartment.

I'd recommend putting your things into a locker, just to be safe, especially if you have something bulky like a backpack or bag.

We skipped Kali last time because we only had one AK day and the lines were SO long (June, 97 degrees...) but I really want to ride it this time. I've read that it is similar to Grizzly River Run at DCA - I do know you get soaked on that one too! The difference though, is the humidity. Southern California is not very humid so it's actually possible to air dry. I assume this is not the case in Florida? So a change of clothes is necessary? I think this may be something we save til we are on our way out of the park, lol...

Ok I can deal with slightly wet, just not sure I want the drowned rat treatment:rotfl2:

How much are lockers? Is there a time on them? What forms of payment do they take? Change only? Room key/room charge?

I am not 100% sure, as we did not use a locker, but I believe I read in one of the posts some time ago that the Kali lockers are complimentary for up to 2 hours. Hope so...it would be great!

disneycat321 said:
We skipped Kali last time because we only had one AK day and the lines were SO long (June, 97 degrees...) but I really want to ride it this time. I've read that it is similar to Grizzly River Run at DCA - I do know you get soaked on that one too! The difference though, is the humidity. Southern California is not very humid so it's actually possible to air dry. I assume this is not the case in Florida? So a change of clothes is necessary? I think this may be something we save til we are on our way out of the park, lol...

This is not the case in Florida. In Florida's humidity, the air is "wet". Humidity runs 95-100% for much of the summer.

we do this too - it's an end of the day ride for us and we tend to ride it multiple times in a row.

To add to what the PP have mentioned - there is a place (a bar) where you can put your feet up so they're not in the water that tends to gather in the bottom of the raft.

The main soaking is one downhill area after the truck (when you ride you'll see the truck) if your side is going down first a large wave will go over you and you will be drenched. If you're on the sides of the raft at that point (so going down sidewise) you will get medium wet the closer you are to the wave. If you're going down last / frontwards you're much less likely to get wet. I've been in all the postions - the wave is a brutal shock the first time it happens. After that you just laugh about it.

This (bolded parts). Before riding the first time, I read here about how if you go down the drop backwards, you get soaked. Sure enough the raft rotated at the last second and we went down backwards. We hit the bottom and got splashed a little. I was just about to say, "That was it?" when the WAVE of water went over my head from behind. :scared1: It's a bit of a delayed reaction which makes it more shocking. So much fun, though, and I get upset now if I don't go down backwards! :thumbsup2

I love the ride but it simply is not worth it to us to go to all the trouble. We go in the winter and it is mostly quite cool or even cold! We really need to change clothes or risk a bus ride back in cold wet clothes. Be aware of what you wear at any time. My nephew road in jeans and tennis shoes one comfortably cool November day. He was drenched and by the time he got back to the resort, he was very chaffed and had blisters on his heels. Not fun for the rest of the trip!

We were just on this ride 2 weeks ago and everyone and I mean everyone who was getting off was soaked. Drowned rat soaked. We wore our ponchos and we were still pretty wet. We had two young ladies in out boat who kind of forgot that white goes see through when wet if you get my drift and they were pretty embarassed when they got off.

Anyways there are jets of water just after the ride leaves the platform at the beginning that go off randomly. We were lucky but the raft behind us (could see it as we were going up the hill) got hit full on. These are not jets that go up in the air but rather are horizontal just below the seat line on the rafts. That was soaking everyone in the raft but yes the hill is the worst.

I am one that went on the ride praying not to be the rider that everyone waiting in line pointed to when exiting saying "I don't want to be that person." Yup...I ended up being that person. Not wet, but like a PP said "wring your underwear out in the bathroom wet." The ride is like a tornado. You get drowned under the waterfall as the raft seems to just get stuck there while the person immediately beside you gets their shirt a little wet. :sad::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter