Kali river rapids w/ mobility issues

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
How difficult is it to get on the Kali River rapids ride with balance issues? Rides with moving walkways are sometimes bothersome for me, so I was wondering about this. Does the platform rotate while you stand on it or is it still?

there is a second loading area where they can pull a raft to load and unload where you do not have to use the moving platform. because of not being to stand for any time I have been loaded there a number of times. they do try to fill the raft from the line near me. a few times we have been sent around a second time. raft is marked so CMs know it needs to be sent to second load area

As the PP noted, there is a second loading area for guests with mobility issues. It is stationary. Just tell the CMs on the queue that you need that particular accommodation and they'll point you in the right direction.

This is a picture of the loading area mentioned by te previous posters
2590P4200190.JPG

Yes, it makes me feel much more confident about the ride-thanks!

I have a prosthetic leg and can't balance unless holding onto something or using my walker. At Kali you can see there's no rails in the handicap raft loading area. But the raft itself has tall seat backs (see pic above), and the storage compartment in the middle of the raft can be used to brace. Between those two things, I can get in and out of the raft with ease. Are you aware there's a small step-down into the raft? But again, holding on to the seat back while entering/exiting the raft gives you plenty of support at a decent height. One "perk" of the handicap area Kali raft (in our experience) is that when you arrive back to the handicap loading area, if no one is waiting to board, and if everyone on your raft goes along, the CMs will allow your raft to ride again (and possibly again). Fun!

Also depending on needs, there is a "slide" to enter and exit the raft. We use it with a wheelchair individual, who cannot do the steps.

Also depending on needs, there is a "slide" to enter and exit the raft. We use it with a wheelchair individual, who cannot do the steps.
I was not aware of this. Never seen during our visits. Thanks for the helpful info!

The ride is slow paced and fairly brief, but there is a small "hill" that you slide down... at the bottom of which, everyone gets soaked... (either from the wave splashing over into the seats, or the "geysers" of water shooting up from underneath the "river"). Be prepared... it's not a matter of "You may get soaked"... you definitely WILL get soaked! Be sure to put anything in the storage bin (in the center of the ride) that you don't want to get wet.

Wow, I wish I had known about this before (and don't know why I didn't)! I was too slow getting to/into the raft my friends were all in, so I had to get on a different raft with strangers - and the CM was pretty rude about it! (She knew I had disabilities, as I was leaving my mobility dog with another friend right in front of her.) A raft that isn't moving would be much easier to get into (I have balance issues)!

I was not aware of this. Never seen during our visits. Thanks for the helpful info!
we have never used it, but at least one of Michigan's daughters has.
As I understand, it unctions kind of like a sliding board.

Here's how the boarding area works.

Kali River Rapids

This is the accessible boarding spot for Kali River Rapids. Follow the instructions from the CMs at the entrance to the queue for where to go. There is a pull off point for this boarding area right before you get to the regular boarding area.

As an empty boat goes by, the CM opens the gate (the bar going across the water in the middle of the picture). That traps a boat so that it will not move until all the guests have boarded.
For exiting, the CMs do the same thing.
It is not an easy transfer. A wheelchair can be parked next to the boat, but you have to go down into the boat and then over to a seat. The seats are made of plastic and the seats and floors can be wet and slippery because of water coming into the boat. Once you have gotten into the boat, the CM will move your wheelchair out of the way. You will return to the same dock when your ride is over.

The ride is slow paced and fairly brief, but there is a small "hill" that you slide down... at the bottom of which, everyone gets soaked... (either from the wave splashing over into the seats, or the "geysers" of water shooting up from underneath the "river"). Be prepared... it's not a matter of "You may get soaked"... you definitely WILL get soaked! Be sure to put anything in the storage bin (in the center of the ride) that you don't want to get wet.
like this?
2590P4200205.JPG

That is my DD and DH. I intended to take a picture of the wall of water that looked like it was heading for them. BUT, the water had other ideas and I got dumped on too and instinctively ducked. So, I cut their heads off the picture ;)

like this?
2590P4200205.JPG

That is my DD and DH. I intended to take a picture of the wall of water that looked like it was heading for them. BUT, the water had other ideas and I got dumped on too and instinctively ducked. So, I cut their heads off the picture ;)

LOL... Yup, that's pretty much IT! Full body immersion! :crazy2:

Last edited:

A slide to get into the raft? Does anyone have a picture of this or more details on this slide?

I love the idea of having one less thing to carry, personally. Plus it seems a little less obvious to people around, which as someone with social anxiety is a nice thought. I'd be interested in seeing how they set it up to prevent waiting in long, crowded FP+ queue, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

A slide to get into the raft? Does anyone have a picture of this or more details on this slide?
I think Michigan posted a picture of it when one of her daughters used it. As I recall, it's more like the bump steps at pools than a slide.

I'll look for it tonight

I think Michigan posted a picture of it when one of her daughters used it. As I recall, it's more like the bump steps at pools than a slide.

I'll look for it tonight

I didn't find pictures, but these 2 posts describe it as being similar to the bump steps at a pool:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/paraplegic-on-roller-coasters.3086089/#post-47913351
http://www.disboards.com/threads/refurbed-test-track.2958800/#post-45500844

Maybe SueM has a better idea where to look for pictures. One thread above mentions pics but doesn't include any.

Enjoy your vacation!

I heard that they stop the ride so that disable can board more easily. It is getting wet that is the problem.

I heard that they stop the ride so that disable can board more easily. It is getting wet that is the problem.
Read the previous posts. They describe the separate boarding area quite clearly. There is no need to stop either the ride or the main rotating boarding platform. Getting wet is not usually a "prob!em" for guests, whether they require boarding assistance or not.

Bump steps/slide can help one get down into the raft, but isn't it harder to get out? My mom can get into things, but it takes 3 of us to get her out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter