• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Justifying camping cost

twooley2

DIS Veteran
O.K. To be honest we have never camped as a family and was thinking of trying it. Although after looking at the cost to camp at the Ft. How does one justify the cost. Tent camping is not an option as we do not want to be wet from a failed tent setup or a wet ground. The campsite cost is exorbitant at best. Than add the cost to rent the camper, golf cart, gas, supplies like lawn chairs that are plush/comfortable to sit on. Yes it will rain if we go as it always rains every time we have gone to Disney World in June or July. WE have DVC and enough points to stay for 6 nights free at OKW or camp and use our points and stay longer but will have to pay for a camper at 125.00 to 150.00 a night. This would eliminate the gas cost and campsite cost but still very high. Please tell me the positives for the price difference. We have teenagers and campers seem so confined inside with little sleeping room once inside and the smores campfires might be a little pushing it

RVing is a different lifestyle. but from the way you are talking I do not think camping would fit you. Fort Wilderness has a life all of it own. nothing like any other resort at disney. when you own a RV you have your own food, bed, bathroom, shower and kitchen. so you save on food since you do not have to eat out ever night. there are some that are small just like a tent, but with slideout most are very large. also with a RV you can bring or have more people with you and you can not just do that with a hotel room. hope this helps.

You may be able to use DVC points for the "cabins" at Fort Wilderness to give it a try. I went camping for the first time at FW last June and really enjoyed it. I hadn't been camping n 20 years, mostly because I spent 6 months in a tent in the first Gulf War and didn't even want to think about camping!!!

I started out with a tent and have been adding a little bit at a time. I just spent two nights at FW, brought my own food and just enjoyed being there. Camping isn't for everyone, but I really enjoy being there.

I admire you wanting to try camping. However, in Orlando in the summertime is not the time to try it IMO with daily summer thunder boomers. Although people camp year round at the Fort, first time tenters have a tougher time.

Not a lot of folks use DVC points to camp at the Fort. It's possible but those that do tend to already own a trailer.

Golf carts are nice but not a necessity so I don't know that their cost needs to be part of the program.

And for stand-alone comparison purposes, the OKW option is not "free". If you own DVC you already paid for the points over umpteen years. Plus you have your annual maintenance fee. So a 1-BR OKW is approximately $210/night weekdays in summer at current resale rates; a 2-BR OKW is nearly $280 on an equivalent basis.

I think your point is the INCREMENTAL cost to camp at the Fort. You've already paid for your DVC points. You've already paid for this year's fees. Camping at the Fort would be much more on top of that (ignoring banking/borrowing of points).

I would suggest sticking to DVC for your vacation. But come over to the Fort for the campfire/singalong. Eat dinner at Trail's End and then watch the MK fireworks from the beach. Or splurge on the Hoop Dee Doo review (my teens love it - corny but fun).

So I agree with wobblez. It's not a financial winner in your case (not even close). But for those of us not in DVC, our campers or tents or RVs are our timeshare at Disney, our cabin in the mountains, or our cottage on the beach. Camping/RVing is a lifestyle choice and a relaxing one at that.

Good luck!

Bama ED

PS - you can tell from my signature that I avoid the hot summer months at Disney. But we only sleep in the camper, otherwise the Fort is like our big front yard (with a pool no less).

In my opinion, one cannot justify the cost of the Fort. It is however, Disney, and is done in the true Disney style, as no one else can do. Sooo, if you want that awesome magical Disney style inna campground (and I do) then you do the Fort and put out the cost.

Camping in general is a hobby for some, and a way of life (so to speak).
It's kinda like fishing,,it's not for everyone, it's not cheap to get started, but once you have all the necessities then the actual cost of camping is general cheaper than a hotel/resort. (Not including camping at the Fort).

Not to mention the fact that when I sleep in my own bedding, I know that I'm not sleeping in the filth of someone else .

Thanks for all the replies. I was looking to see where others were coming from. We have visited Ft wilderness 5 times in 5 different yrs. Been to Hoop de Doo each time and seen the fireworks multiple times. I was trying to see what people were finding of interest. No staying at OKW is not free but it is what we own and pay for so as stated camping would be on top of what we already have to pay for through the DVC. The other main reason is my points are dwindling down and I have been looking for a stay longer than 6 nights in an off year of our points. We would not be in our own bed as we have no camper and do not plan on running out to buy one for now. We were still going to rent one. Which I see many others doing on here. So I was trying to see the bargain side of things too and how that panned out to be a bargain over staying in a hotel room.

You may be able to use DVC points for the "cabins" at Fort Wilderness to give it a try. I went camping for the first time at FW last June and really enjoyed it. I hadn't been camping n 20 years, mostly because I spent 6 months in a tent in the first Gulf War and didn't even want to think about camping!!!

I started out with a tent and have been adding a little bit at a time. I just spent two nights at FW, brought my own food and just enjoyed being there. Camping isn't for everyone, but I really enjoy being there.

This is exactly my husbands thought on camping. He does not see the recreational side of it after serving in the military and the Gulf War living in one.

RVing is a different lifestyle. but from the way you are talking I do not think camping would fit you. Fort Wilderness has a life all of it own. nothing like any other resort at disney. when you own a RV you have your own food, bed, bathroom, shower and kitchen. so you save on food since you do not have to eat out ever night. there are some that are small just like a tent, but with slideout most are very large. also with a RV you can bring or have more people with you and you can not just do that with a hotel room. hope this helps.

We went RV scouting last week and the ones we looked at were not big enough for 8 people as many state they can accommodate. We may be missing the ones that do actually. The most we found was what they term a double sofa bed , a queen bed and a dinette which makes into some rinky dink sleeping accommodation. Oh and they had bunks which do not seem to fit adults in a non claustrophobic way. If we were thinking of spending 100+ on an RV it better have some room to take a lot of people and extended family to justify the cost. We will still be looking of course but not buying anytime soon.

Eight people in your group? That changes the dynamics of your request somewhat. Now we know what you are dealing with.

Bama ed

This is exactly my husbands thought on camping. He does not see the recreational side of it after serving in the military and the Gulf War living in one.

One of my former-Navy co-workers says the same thing about cruising!!!

For me, I get to be with nature when I'm camping and Fort Wilderness makes it very comfortable - especially the AC Comfort Stations which are always spotless and the laid-back structure of the campground.

O.K. To be honest we have never camped as a family and was thinking of trying it. Although after looking at the cost to camp at the Ft. How does one justify the cost. Tent camping is not an option as we do not want to be wet from a failed tent setup or a wet ground. The campsite cost is exorbitant at best. Than add the cost to rent the camper, golf cart, gas, supplies like lawn chairs that are plush/comfortable to sit on. Yes it will rain if we go as it always rains every time we have gone to Disney World in June or July. WE have DVC and enough points to stay for 6 nights free at OKW or camp and use our points and stay longer but will have to pay for a camper at 125.00 to 150.00 a night. This would eliminate the gas cost and campsite cost but still very high. Please tell me the positives for the price difference. We have teenagers and campers seem so confined inside with little sleeping room once inside and the smores campfires might be a little pushing it

I justify it because I already have put out the initial cost for supplies - popup camper, chairs, etc.... We camp all up and down the east coast, not just disney - the majority of our vacation time is spent camping. Initially thought we did purchase the popup so we could stay at disney longer than a week. At the time, campsite prices weren't what they are now - and my kids were under age 10 (made a big difference in meal/ticket prices). If you do plan to try this for the experience, I'd start with a FW cabin first - although with 8 people is that even an option?

Plush lawn chairs....really???:rotfl2: Camping might not really be a good choice for you.

My husband felt that way until I drug him to the Fort, it's the "Hilton" of all campgrounds, he's as nutty about it as I am now :rotfl:

We went RV scouting last week and the ones we looked at were not big enough for 8 people as many state they can accommodate. We may be missing the ones that do actually. The most we found was what they term a double sofa bed , a queen bed and a dinette which makes into some rinky dink sleeping accommodation. Oh and they had bunks which do not seem to fit adults in a non claustrophobic way. If we were thinking of spending 100+ on an RV it better have some room to take a lot of people and extended family to justify the cost. We will still be looking of course but not buying anytime soon.

Our 39 foot fifth wheel toy hauler sleeps 10. We have a queen bedroom, a very comfortable queen loft bed, two queen bunks in the toy hauler area, and of course... the not so comfortable sofa bed. We found the fifth wheel had more sleeping options . You have to factor in the cost of the truck to pull the hauler. Might want to check out that option!! Have fun shopping! :wizard:

Unless you tent and cook hot dogs over an open fire there is no cost savings. Camping/Rving is a life style.

Unless you tent and cook hot dogs over an open fire there is no cost savings. Camping/Rving is a life style.

I don't agree. We have been camping for years and finally bought a hybrid travel trailer this summer. The reason we bought this is to take to WDW next October. We are taking at least 7 people, w/ AAA we paid just over $500 for a premium site for 8 nights. If we not taking the camper we would have to have two rooms again. Plus the food savings will be huge as we are only eating 3 character meals and the rest at our site!
Driving w/ the camper from Upstate NY won't be cheap buy flying would have priced out @ at least 1800!:scared1:

We ran the number and think we can make it to WDW every 12-16 months using the camper vs. on site hotel!
Before we could only swing Disney every 2 years! So camping is essentially getting us to our happy place 2x as much!:goodvibes

Absolutely true.

By the time you

- rent or buy a camper
- pay the camping fee, which is pretty high at Disney
- buy gas to get the camper to Disney
- include on-site transportation /grocery store transportation 'cause you aren't going to to drive that RV around town -- and although it doesn't cost anything, don't neglect the stress of driving an RV in Orlando traffic
- if you rent the camper, don't forget to include fees for cleaning and mileage
- buy other camping equipment; for example, a screen house for your picnic table, lanterns, etc.
- buy firewood, ice for the cooler, and propane for the grill

By the time you've done all that, you could stay in a discount or moderate hotel room a whole bunch of times!

On the other hand, if you want to tent camp, you can save some money . . . but I personally don't like to mix Disney and camping. We love camping, but it IS the destination for us. I don't like to have to be up and about, trying to look good from a tent. I do want to come back to my room and have a hot shower IN my room, air conditioning, etc.

And, honestly, even if you're tent camping, if you have NO camping equipment right now, it'd take several trips to "break even" from buying equipment.

Don't get me wrong: Camping is great, but do a cost comparison before you jump in. We do it because we enjoy the camping lifestyle -- lengthy evenings around the campfire, kids riding bikes -- but we don't use it as a cheap way to travel. When you look at all the costs, you can get a cheap-cheap hotel room for about the same cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter