• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

just wondering about bags for kids...

You're not wicked... you're smart. They're old enough to keep track of their own things. I got tired a long time ago of my son wanting me to hold all his things while we were at the park, then asking me for them every 5 minutes. I took him to Wal Mart and let him pick out a fanny pack he likes. He keeps it packed and wears it to the parks now. SOOOO much easier for me. :)

:lmao:
Well what can I say? We all assumed you were serious about your "wickedness" but no where in your statement did it imply you were kidding. So I will apolize for assuming the worse. However it does still (even with your explainations) that you have some issues. It is not the childrens fault if they are over indulged by the family. There are ways to work with that. I am excited that you and your daughter (I don't believe in the the words "step" or "in-law") are going to the princess tea. There is absolutely nothing wrong with teaching responsibilty---I am all for that. I raised 3 responsible sons (one is a fire fighter/paramedic, one is a preacher and one gave up a kidney to a friend.) Just a reminder that there are two parts to teaching responsibility: *teach by example (who is whining) and teach at their age level. I believe you are a great parent. I know I assumed the worse but with children it is better to err on the side of caution. Please accept my apoligy. Enjoy

thanks for the apology... but I don't believe that referring to myself as a wicked step mother means I have issues in any way. I think most people knew I was kidding...due to the lighthearted nature of the Dis and the ever present Disney association with the Wickedest of wicked step mothers, I figured it would be apparent. :rolleyes:

She is not my daughter...she is my husband's daughter, she is her mother's daugther, she is MY step daughter. That relationship is special in and of itself...a relationship I'm proud of and that SHE is proud of.

no, it's not their fault they are over indulged, but my step son has a choice when he picks up a very heavy ball and heaves it at his sister. He is old enough to know that doing such a thing is very wrong. To excuse that behavior b/c his grandparents have zero control is sending a very bad message. My step daughter even had a part in that. She was ignoring her little brother on purpose which she knows frustrates him.

Personal responsibility and the reality of consequences for our actions is the greatest thing we can teach our children. My job as their step mom is to be the best role model I can be. I am very clear and direct. They know what is expected of them at all times and they also know, with a predictability of 100% that when I say something I mean it. If they choose to ignore it, there is a consequence. :teacher:

What was my original question??...oh YEAH...waistpacks for kids...I got sidetracked through all the judgement...SEE...being sarcastic again!!! Must be that wickedness inside me!!!pirate:

You're not wicked... you're smart. They're old enough to keep track of their own things. I got tired a long time ago of my son wanting me to hold all his things while we were at the park, then asking me for them every 5 minutes. I took him to Wal Mart and let him pick out a fanny pack he likes. He keeps it packed and wears it to the parks now. SOOOO much easier for me. :)

Yup...I think that is what we are going to do! Give them some ownership!! We started talking this morning about our trip and from now to then all the things we would be doing and ways that they could earn money of their very own for Disney! They were excited about it and it keeps me in the Disney mood!! August is so far away, but it'll be here in a blink!

Well, I am "wicked" mother I just told my kids 9 yrs and 16 yrs old that are caring there own stuff. Now my daughter always had. I told my son last night he going to carry his snacks to help himself.

Hey don't sweat it...I'm a step mom too. I understand...been there. My step kids (adults now LOL) loves me.

I really like the the mesh bag there backpacks..I know walmart carries them...I trying to decide for my son, caring a mesh backpack or waist purse.
I'll just let him decide...
Good ideas here,:) thanks
ang

She is not my daughter...she is my husband's daughter, she is her mother's daugther, she is MY step daughter. That relationship is special in and of itself...a relationship I'm proud of and that SHE is proud of.

As it should be. :thumbsup2

You are doing right by your step children and society. ;)

Small backpacks/fannypacks should work well. If they get tired of wearing them, they can easily be stored in the basket under the stroller. :)

If you haven't yet bought the bags they will use to carry their stuff around thenI would take them to the store & help them pick something out. I would also explain to them what the deal is so they have all the clues. This way they can try on fanny pack or whatever they & you choose making sure it fits & is comfortable.
My ds carrys his own camera case(we get him a disposable) around his neck & we are always making sure he remembers it. (almost more trouble then it's worth) Good luck & Have fun!:)

There is nothing wrong with teaching kids to be responseable.The rule in my house is if you take it you carry it.Same with going to the beach,if you want to play with it at the beach you must carry it on to the beach.I will just not under stand why people think kids can do things for them self.Oh campbellscot I new you where just joking:goodvibes

Oh good...I'm glad SOMEBODY knew I was joking...I was worried that my naturally sardonic nature was going to cause a problem! (see I don't really think that...I was joking...just wanted to be clear on that...:rolleyes: :laughing: )

When my son was younger, he carried a very small Disney backpack. It wasn't big enough to use for school, but would carry pins, autograph book, pen, etc. He got it on his first trip about 8 years ago. Don't know if they still have them.

Or get them cargo shorts with the big pockets on the legs and they can stuff the autograph books in the pockets.

I bet as the days go on, the entire family will realize that they really don't need to lug all that stuff with them. Now, I'm the only one in the family who has to go through security because I wear a fanny pack. My son and husband just carry their wallets in their pockets. I have mine in my fanny pack with a set of car keys and the passes.

When my son was younger, he carried a very small Disney backpack. It wasn't big enough to use for school, but would carry pins, autograph book, pen, etc. He got it on his first trip about 8 years ago. Don't know if they still have them.

Or get them cargo shorts with the big pockets on the legs and they can stuff the autograph books in the pockets.

I bet as the days go on, the entire family will realize that they really don't need to lug all that stuff with them. Now, I'm the only one in the family who has to go through security because I wear a fanny pack. My son and husband just carry their wallets in their pockets. I have mine in my fanny pack with a set of car keys and the passes.

Our first trip in 2004, DD was 4, carried her own small little fanny pack with autugraph book. This insured that even if she was with me or with DH she'd be sure to have it.

We also learned over the years that we didn't need to lug so much stuff with us all day long.

Dina Marie

When DNephew was turning 7 we took him to WDW for the first time (celebrating his bday with Mickey). As one of his special "gifts from Mickey" we had picked up a Mickey fanny pack. That was for his pen, autograph book, and 2 dollars a day (he was 7, spending cash was just to feel like a big boy). We also put a rescue card in it in case he got lost/seperated from us. It said what his name was, who he was with, resort, etc. It also explained that he wears glasses and if those are missing he pretty much is helpless. He never complained about carrying it at all....even when I zipped my glasses in it with his during Space Mountain.

I guess that makes me a Wicked Tia - I got him to carry my stuff....lol

Hi all!! We are heading to the World in August and this time my step kids are coming along...due the fact that I am extremely Wicked in the Step mothering arena

OMG YOU WERE KIDDING??!?!?!?!!:)

Anyways,
I don't remeber the evil stepmom ever taking Cinderella anywhere! ;)

Guess what, my own DD9 is packing her own stuff in her own fanny pack this year!! Its never to early or late to learn to be responsible for your own stuff and appreciate dear old Mom (step or not)and her bad back from hauling everything around all the time

PS:: you should use the wicked queen or malicifent or someone evil at the bottom of your Signature!!!

Heck why not make them pay for their part of the trip or better yet leave them at home with their real mom. Sounds like they would be better off. Post like yours I find quite sad and no humor in it at all. Those kids did not ask to be in your life it was daddy dearest who chose it for them. Take it out on them and leave the kids alone.

Heck why not make them pay for their part of the trip or better yet leave them at home with their real mom. Sounds like they would be better off. Post like yours I find quite sad and no humor in it at all. Those kids did not ask to be in your life it was daddy dearest who chose it for them. Take it out on them and leave the kids alone.

:rotfl: Judge much? Considering my stepmom would move out when we went to visit in the summer, these kids have it pretty darn lucky... To tease about such a strong disney theme (wicked step-moms) is to pick at oneself, not at the kids.

Humor is a funny thing...no pun intended...some people get it and some dont'.

I could tell you were joking, perhaps it is because I have a bit of a warped sense of humor :thumbsup2 I don't see why the post should bother anyone, and I am familiar with all aspects of blended families. I have a step dad, half sisters and my children have a step mom (an actual evil one at that :scared1: )

On the topic of backpacks, I agree with the fanny pack if you can find one to fit the autograph books. My youngest DD had an autograph book that was a little bigger than youngest DS's. Hers wouldn't fit in a fanny pack. She used a sling bag, she really liked it.

Besides teaching them to care for their own things, it's also a good idea for them to carry their own things just incase the "pack mule" gets separated from the bunch. That would be the time that the kids' favorite character would come by, and the "evil pack mule" would be away getting drinks for everyone with the autograph books.

I know you said you're planning on renting a stroller, so if you rent from Disney you won't have the basket underneath to store stuff. You could always clip the belts around the stroller handle till you have to leave the stroller for a ride/meal. You might be able to find caribeener clips big enough to go over the stroller handle if you go with the mesh backpacks. You might also want to give your stepkids a heads up about security going through their bags before going into the park, so they know they'll have to be able to repack it fairly quickly.

Hi all!! We are heading to the World in August and this time my step kids are coming along...due the fact that I am extremely Wicked in the Step mothering arena AND my s-kids are going to be 8 and 5...I feel they should pack their own dang autograph books around! So does anyone have any suggestions for kid friendly bags that are light weight, not backpacks (too HOT in August for BP's and this would lead to whining and possibly the death of one or both children...I'm wicked like I said...don't judge...;) ) Just something they can carry easily that would fit an autograph book and a pen and maybe a trinket or two? We will rent a double stroller b/c as I mentioned before, whining of any kind could be deadly and WDW is a LOT of walking and Hey, I might need a ride myself!

These are kids that pretty overindulged in at least one half of their life and they have this aversion to "carrying" anything. This aversion makes me nuts and I'm tackling it NOW so when it's time for Disney we won't be all shocked at having responsibility of our own...:rolleyes:

SO to recap...smallish, not too bulky or backpacky...manageable for kids.

thanks y'all!!!:cutie:

I think the simple drawstring athletic type bags (I think the 2nd poster mentions them) would do. The other option is just not to do autographs if they don't want to carry them. That, or have their dad carry the backpack :-)

Hi all!! We are heading to the World in August and this time my step kids are coming along...due the fact that I am extremely Wicked in the Step mothering arena AND my s-kids are going to be 8 and 5...I feel they should pack their own dang autograph books around! So does anyone have any suggestions for kid friendly bags that are light weight, not backpacks (too HOT in August for BP's and this would lead to whining and possibly the death of one or both children...I'm wicked like I said...don't judge...;) ) Just something they can carry easily that would fit an autograph book and a pen and maybe a trinket or two? We will rent a double stroller b/c as I mentioned before, whining of any kind could be deadly and WDW is a LOT of walking and Hey, I might need a ride myself!

These are kids that pretty overindulged in at least one half of their life and they have this aversion to "carrying" anything. This aversion makes me nuts and I'm tackling it NOW so when it's time for Disney we won't be all shocked at having responsibility of our own...:rolleyes:

SO to recap...smallish, not too bulky or backpacky...manageable for kids.

thanks y'all!!!:cutie:

You don't sound "Wicked" to me, sounds like you must be an extremely kind SM, but with a sense of humor.

Anyway, when on vacation, if my son (or his guest) wanted to have something with them at the parks, they were instructed to carry it. I have seen too many times where the "kids" just couldn't live without something, but as soon as they were distracted by the parks they completely forgot about the item, and didn't really "need" it afterall.

If they really, really want something, I feel that this is a good time to start teaching responsibility.

If they need something (juice, water, or snacks for emergencies) I will make sure that it is taken care of, either I carry it, or I can get it quiclky.

I think maybe something like a smallish courier bag would be easy for kids to use. If I remember right, they are out of the way, and easy to carry.

IHTH

Andy

They're kind of pricey, but I really like Overland bags. There make some smaller sizes-- like the Placer (7 x 5 x 3) or the Day Tripper (9 x 6.5 x 3) , although I'm not sure about the length of their straps. What I like about Overland bags is that they're adult bags that could grow with your kids over many trips to Disney. (Because only Wicked parents take their kids to Disney. ;) )

One of the reasons I like Overland so much, btw, has to do with the rule in our family: if you pack it, you carry it. This applies to everything from the vacation suitcases to daily gear. (Man, do I hate that rule in the airport!) So I bought the Donner bag just for our Disney trips. It holds two water bottles in side pockets that our attached to the straps, and I think it's perfect for DH and me. (There's only the two of us on a normal trip to Disney.) And because the Donner allows us to condense two bags into one, we found ourself willing to compromise on our rule--we know take turns, no complaints, about carrying the bag.

In the words of London(Sweet life of Zach & Cody), "Yeah Responsibility"!

I am changing it up a bit, but it is good for kids to have some share in taking care of their things. Loved the idea of adding a camera to the fanny pack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter