Just wonder why anyone books Home away from Home thru Disney when can rent pts?

We just got back from 5 nights at BCV, thank to renting points from a DVC DIS member and would (and will, in fact) do it again in a heartbeat! We stayed at CB for the two weekend nights, but decided that the moving, tipping bell services, etc. was not worth saving the extra money. Next time we'll do 7 nights at BCV. It's still a great bargain over booking direct through Disney.

Pam

pstepka - Sounds like we're doing the same thing! We check in on Sunday and out on Friday. I thought about adding a weekend night at the beginning or end, but we live pretty close (1.5 hours) and go to Disney pretty frequently, so we decided 5 nights was enough. My DH is not quite the Disney nut the rest of us are!

I have rented points from an owner, and had a great experience, and would definitely do it again. However, there are plenty of reasons I would book through CRO if I had to. There is definitely risk, and inconvenience involved with renting from a member. Risk that you're going to get shafted (although with safeguards, the risk is low) and inconvenience in that it is customary to pay for a large part if not all of the ressie upfront, and often you have to reserve far, far in advance of your vacation to get the space you want. And once you're reserve, you are more or less locked in and can't cancel. Also, I have seen code discounts appear for Home Away from Home accomodations, and some of them are quite good-- particularly for OKW, and also for the others. Renting is the most economical if you are looking at Sunday-Thursday nights-- even adding in one weekend night, but once you're looking at using a lot of weekend nights-- like arriving on a Saturday for instance, and leaving the following Sunday, it isn't such a fabulous deal anymore. Those weekend nights can kill you. CRO makes no such distinction. Anyway, I would definitely consider renting again if I wanted to stay at those resorts, but if I could get a comparable CRO reservation for just a couple hundred more or less, I might do that because of the risk and inconvenience built into renting.

Just my two cents.

Well I am in the process of renting points and I think it is going to be terrific to stay at the BWV for 11 nights for $130 per night! There is no way you can beat that with an AP rate or anything else that I can think of, so am pleased as punch with what we are getting.

I think that most people shy away from it because of the amount of trust you need to complete the transaction. Plus if you are not sure of your plans or itinerary, then renting points would be a con since you usually need to pay a decent deposit and then pay in advance of your arrival.

My terms with the seller are $500 down after I receive the confirmation showing my name on the ressie, and the remainder due before Dec 1st--our trip is in mid-Jan. I have no problem with paying ahead since our plans are set, our airfare is booked, etc...

Also, some others mentioned, there is no daily Mousekeeping, just trash & towel service on certain days and then a full clean later on in the stay. You can always pay for additional services, but we are not going to opt for that since we keep our room pretty clean.

Anyway-there are lots of pros and cons to both. I would read lots of posts on the subject before you make a decision. The DVC forums are terrific and the folks there will help you out with any questions-they have the answers! :)

Good Luck!

Here's another theory as to why folks book through CRO. Right now the Rent/Trade board is filled with hopeful renters trying to rent points for trips between Sept. and Dec. of this year, but they need reservations. Most of them want to stay at BCV, BWV, or WLV. These resorts have been booked for months, as they are equally popular with DVC owners. Noone can help them, and they aren't getting any replies to their posts. I was able to book an October trip a couple of months ago for a few nights in a 2 BR at OKW, but that was kind of luck. I also booked a stay next May with no problem for a renter wanting a stay at BCV and OKW. That guy had rented before, and knew to plan ahead. I don't think anyone at DVC has a problem with points being rented out that I have seen. We always use all our points, but wanted to cruise next year and are renting points to pay for that. Anyway, to rent points for a DVC stay, you have to plan ahead. Diana

I have rented points for an upcoming trip in November. My son has rented for his January trip. It is a first time venture for both of us. But I feel quite comfortable with the process.

I may be mistaken, but it seems to me, that if anyone had been ripped off, there would be posts about it somewhere. This is such a helpful group of people. Most would want to make sure it did not happen to anyone else.

Do I have those rose colored glasses on again?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter