Just what is the difference

KAK

Earning My Ears
What are the biggest differences between the Deluxe resorts and the Moderate Resorts besides price?

Inside hallways, larger rooms, and more amenities are the biggest difference.

Hi,

In general the deluxes have full room service (moderates usually have limited room service), on-site childcare, valet parking, and most deluxes have a fitness center.

I think the top difference is location. You can easily get to at least park not all parks) from the MK and Epcot resorts, either through special transportation or walking. (Except for WL and AKL, which may be why they are entry level Deluxes)...and internal lobby and hallways (more hotel, less motel approach to the set up).

What are the biggest differences between the Deluxe resorts and the Moderate Resorts besides price?
The difference is that deluxe's have bigger beds and bigger space. Second of all, Deluxe's usually have easy access to the parks. Deluxes might have a nicer atmosphere with more amenities included in the hotel.For example GF has clubs, instrument players, and other AMAZING services. They also might have better quality pools and spa's.:flower3:
Hope I helped!!!

One of the first things that comes to mind is the QS beds in a deluxe vs the fulls in the mods (except Coronado Springs). Also, you get the day bed at many deluxe that allow for 5 people in a room.

As mentioned above, interior corridors and things like room service. Their lobbies have more of a hotel feel, you see more bell staff around and you can valet park which none of the mods offer.

Most deluxe's also offer some proxmity to a park. Obviously the ones on the monorail and the ones that are near Epcot really capitalize on that. WL and AKL are close to a park but not walkable and neither is on the monorail. But most people will definitely site location when they say that is why they enjoy a deluxe. Most deluxe's also offer more than just busses for transporation. Most but not all. (AKL has all busses). So in most cases you can take a boat to a park or the monorail or walk. Not to all parks, but to some. Again, AKL is the exception and uses busses and only busses to all areas.

CSR does have some features that used to be deluxe only, like the queen beds and the room service. Its the only mod that has those things. The others do have pizza delivery and that's it for in room dining.

I will also say that room size is a big difference if you are talking say the Poly or CR. But if you are talking about WL or AKL, those rooms are the same size as rooms at CBR and only about 25 square feet bigger than the other three mods. So if you need a bigger room than a mod can offer, you need to steer away from WL and AKL.

Balconies to me is the biggie. We love having a balcony and when we have stayed at a deluxe or DVC, its been beyond nice to have one. On the other hand, we somehow don't miss them or think about them much when we stay at a mod or value! I'll also add that not all rooms at the Poly have balconies so if you go with that one and a balcony is a big thing for you, be sure and note you want a room with a balcony or patio (first floor rooms have a patio) on your reservatioin.

Oh, and most deluxe's (maybe all of them) have some sort of signature restaurant or dinner show (or both). The mods (with the exception of POFQ) have a table service restaurant but nothing on the scale of the restaurants at the deluxe's.

I think the biggest thing to consider when comparing a deluxe to a mod is that not all deluxes are the same. Some sleep five, some do not. Which is why they vary in price so much. A room at WL will be much cheaper than a room at the Poly. Whereas mod rooms pretty much have the same price structure and the same amenities. CSR is the only exception.

Another difference is you have a covered walkway to all of the Deluxes bus stops. At the moderates you'll have to walk in the rain if it's raining.

I would say the feel of the rooms is the #1 difference.

I've stayed at GF, CR, WL, Polynesian, AKL, BC and BWI. Multiple times at all of those except just once at WL (we LOVED it though!)

This summer we spent one night at POR b/c we drove all the way thru and arrived earlier than expected. We had a res. starting the next day at AKL but when I called it was "sold out" for the night I needed to add... All I could get next door at AKV-Kidani was something for about $389 and that was out, pricewise... anyway, I chose POR from what was offered over the phone. The grounds ARE pretty and the pool was fun for my dd and dniece (so in those 2 departments I would basically say NO difference) but the room was very, very basic. The furnishings, fabrics, materials and layout was just not what I'm used to or what I want. I won't ever book a moderate at Disney again. I would stay offsite at a new Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn before I would do that, I think. Or just stay home.
WL and AKL are the lower-priced Deluxes and to me they are head and shoulders above what we experienced at POR. Incredible theming, great pools, tons of fun...
The food court at POR, to me, felt like something in one of the theme parks. Lots of food choices, yes, but VERY crowded and bustling and NOT in a good way.
If you're debating b/w Mods and Deluxes, I would recommend securing the best deal you can get at AKL or WL vs. going w/ a Mod. There is a lot of magic there :wizard:

Also want to say that I do one day want to stay at POP Century. Looks sooo cute, modern and clean. And not trying to be something it's not :upsidedow

With CSR being a moderate it has a lot of the Deluxe "amenities" (queen beds, fitness center, spa). In my opinion the only difference between CSR and the deluxe resorts is doors opening to the outside and balconies (some of the more inflated rooms in Deluxe have "views" but you have to pay out the eye).

I can't even say the transportation at the Boardwalk resorts is better because the busses to MK are horrible. I've had better bus service at POFQ. POFQ also has boat service to DTD which is far better than most bus transportation to DTD from the Deluxes. The Poly and GF have separate buildings where you need to walk outside to go to the lobby, similar to all mods. The Poly doesn't have a hottub. CR doesn't have a nice pool but has the monorail. Just a few opinions but you could make an argument why one resort is better than the other.

Another difference is you have a covered walkway to all of the Deluxes bus stops. At the moderates you'll have to walk in the rain if it's raining.

I never thought about that before, but I guess it is true (I haven't stayed at all the deluxes, but I have stayed at YC, BC, BW and AKL). I would never have noticed that if it had not been pointed out!

I can't even say the transportation at the Boardwalk resorts is better because the busses to MK are horrible.

I have stayed over a dozen times at the YC, BC and BW and "horrible" bus service to the MK has not been my experience at all.

Not true of the Poly...we walked numerous times in the rain at the Poly.

I have stayed over a dozen times at the YC, BC and BW and "horrible" bus service to the MK has not been my experience at all.

I've stayed there three times and all three times I had horrible bus service to MK. Yes, "horrible."

The boat to Studios and walk into Epcot is great though which is why we continue to go back.

I've stayed there three times and all three times I had horrible bus service to MK. Yes, "horrible."

The boat to Studios and walk into Epcot is great though which is why we continue to go back.

That was our experience as well. I loved BW but do have to say, that is the only resort I have ever stayed at where I vowed not to go back if I didn't have a car.

Walking to Epcot and DHS about made up for it. But MK and for us especially AK it was a real headache. Took us almost one hour to get to AK after we boarded the bus.

I also agree with Kathy about the Poly and getting wet. The one building set ups have you keeping your head covered but that still leaves a few deluxes where you will be getting drenched on your way to anything if its raining.

Well you have price as number one, there is room service at deluxe resorts, and larger beds. The rooms at CBR are as large as the ones at WL and AKL, but the other deluxe resort have larger rooms. Most of the deluxe resorts have indoor corridors as well.

The only mod that has queen beds, deluxe shampoos, a spa and room service is CSR.

Honestly, if I stay deluxe I want to stay at a good deluxe resort like the Poly or BWI. But I happen to like moderate resorts, and am looking forward to trying CBR and CSR some day. I also enjoyed our stay at POP except for the bad bus karma we had.

Even though I did not want to pay for it, we ended up choosing a deluxe for location. My children are young, and we thought it would be worth the $ this time, to be able to use the monorail system to get back to our hotel for naps, snacks, breakdowns, etc. I heard the moderate hotels are very nice inside.

For us, the biggest difference is transportation and location.

We always use Disney transportation when we are at WDW, so Deluxe cuts down on the number of times we use the busses and gives us additional options (boat, walking, monorail.) With 3 kids, it's nice to have those additional options, so we've been staying Deluxe lately.

On the other hand, we're doing a short trip in March and staying at Movies for our Toy Story fans - and we are ready for those busses!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter