Just watched Samantha on the Travel Channel and I am hooked..

Trinity524

DIS Veteran
I have been to Disney world so many times I can't count. This year we stayed at the Poly and I can tell you one thing, I wasn't impressed for the money. My hubbie and I were watching the travel channel last night and BAM, I saw "Magic" and thought it looked awesome. I have a two year old, my hubbie and I to think about, so were do I start? When are the best deals? I am looking for something out of Port Canaveral. Every little tidbit helps!

TIA

Annie

I would suggest that you start with a great TA who specializes in DCL. That person will be able to answer many of your questions before, during, and after booking, and in addition, many offer an onboard credit or other perk as a thanks for booking with them. This is part of the service aspect that should be provided to you. There is no charge for using a TA to book; a few have a fee if you cancel a booking with them but most do no. You can "shop" for a TA the same as you can anything else--look for one that you feel is a good fit for your personality and the way you like to do business (face to face, internet, 800 number, etc.)

Tons of questions will be answered here, both in the "sticky" files at the top of the boards and thru the things people ask. If you are the kind of person who likes a book, the Passporter is as good as it gets. However, DCL is making many changes right now with preparation for the new ships, etc, and ANY book is out of date by the time it is published. Thus, some of the info in the Passporter is not current despite the best efforts of the authors.

These boards are a great place to research the cruises. Be careful-they are VERY addictive. You can order a free DVD off the DCL website which is a great overview of the cruises and ships. A travel agent might also be a big help.

We started with a 3 day and it was not long enough. Planning the trip is a lot of fun too. Have a great time planning it and a Magical time taking the cruise.

pirate:

Explore the DCL website and check out the DCL FAQ sticky thread at the top of this forum for some great info!!

MJ

As for the best price. Typically, the earlier the book, the better deal you get. This is almost the opposite of the other cruiselines who have last minute deals.

Sometimes if a ship is not filling up, DCL will drop the price, but that doesn't really happen often. It may change with the introduction of the Dream.

When are the best deals?

As others have already said, booking as far in advance as possible will normally get you the best rate for any particular cruise date. Also, the least-expensive cruise timeframe is late August through mid-October (kids are in school and it's hurricane season). Also, if you are a military family bear in mind that DCL does have military discounts on it's cruises, but it isn't a "blanket" discount - it's selective by sail date so be sure to mention your military status when you book if that applies to your situation. And according to DCL, the discounts are only announced/become available 90 days in advance of the sailings.

If you're planning on doing some WDW time in conjunction with your cruise, I would suggest against the DCL "land and sea" packages. I think you'll find that you can normally do better for yourself price-wise and have more flexibility by booking the land portion and the sea portion independently. Also, I would avoid booking air travel through DCL. Again, better pricing and greater flexibility if you handle the travel to Orlando seperately.

If you're positive you're going to love cruising go for a 7-night, or longer, cruise. If you're unsure whether or not you'll like cruising and you're thinking of doing a short cruise to "get a feel for it", I recommend going with a 4- or 5-night cruise. The 3-night cruises are just TOO short as you barely have time to get on the ship and start to find you're way around when it's suddenly time to get off. I use the 3-nighters for quick weekend getaways when I really need a "cruise fix" and can't squeeze enough time off for a longer cruise.

I have been to Disney world so many times I can't count. This year we stayed at the Poly and I can tell you one thing, I wasn't impressed for the money. My hubbie and I were watching the travel channel last night and BAM, I saw "Magic" and thought it looked awesome. I have a two year old, my hubbie and I to think about, so were do I start? When are the best deals? I am looking for something out of Port Canaveral. Every little tidbit helps!

TIA

Annie

.....wow! I wish I had Samantha's job!:goodvibes

About Poly......well - I am more of a Disney hotel "moderate" guest for the very reason you listed above. I feel the moderates are the better way to go because you are still within close proximity to the parks as we all know....it's location location location;).

T.T.F.N.

We went on the Western the first week in Oct because it had the best price when I was booking. The weather was perfect all week. Our other option due to school schedules was Jan, but I have heard the weather can sometimes be cold at Castaway Cay, and did not want to risk it.

TIA

Annie

For me the planning is almost as much fun as the cruise itself!

TIA

Annie

I have just booked my first DCL cruise and I waited til my son was 5. I got a really good rate for the Dream in 2011. Keep in mind your 2yr old can not swim in the pool w/ a swim diaper, the must be toilet trained. That's why I held off for so long, but we had some great trips to WDW. Have fun with your planning,:goodvibes

TIA

Annie

If you think watching a show about the Disney cruise will hook you, go on one -- even a 3 day and see what happens. Oh my!

So, you've been to WDW too many times to count but were a little bummed with the Poly?

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a Disney cruise - and just like WDW they can be addictive - and Disney knew how to get their hooks in you already, didn't they?

Unlike the parks and having to push around a little kid in a stroller, you'll be contained on that boat, not far from the pool, the bedroom, meals and snacks - and they have a nursery so you can have an adult dinner.

In 2007, I did a 3-night cruise in April (booked 3 weeks ahead of time - got a good deal on Travelocity). It was too short - pretty much the consensus of most cruisers - you get onboard, next thing you know you are packing your bags. But I didn't know how I would do with seasickness. Had to leave dinner halfway through on the first night.

Five months later, I was on a 4-nighter; we got a second day at Disney's own island, Castaway Cay, instead of at sea so they could do some routine maintenance. Truly wonderful. More like a long weekend away. That extra night helps. It might be a great starter cruise for you. (Wore a scopalamine patch for seasickness...what seasickness? it worked.)

Oct 2008, 7-night Western Caribbean - can you say Hurricane season? Missed out on water activities and had to change a port due to choppy seas.

I'm headed off on the April 2010 Eastbound Transatlantic repositioning cruise - Back to Back with the 1st Med cruise (same boat - finish one cruise and start the next on the same day). Panama Canal, new Dream boat, and Alaska all by mid 2011.

It really is addictive.

whats samantha brown working on now? havent seen her on any new shows lately

New shows upcoming are travels to Asia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter