• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just took the DVC leap!

jenniferlyn1085

Earning My Ears
DVC newbie here! My husband and I have been talking about buying and researching for a couple of years now and just kept putting it off. Well, we finally took the plunge and purchased at SSR and are super excited to be a part of the DVC family. After all disney is out second home anyways and now we have years or vacations to look forward to. So just a little Q&A...what was the first vacation you took after purchasing your DVC??? I just can't decide...there are so many possibilities and I want to do them all :) Can't wait to hear what some of you have done!!

Congrats and Welcome Home! pixiedust:

Our first trip after buying DVC was to our home resort at AKL and we LOVED it (we bought on cruise and had never stayed at AKL before.)

I'm with you I want to try them all but the good thing is you have lots of time to try out all the resorts!

PS we haven't stayed in the main part of SSR but we did a week in a Treehouse and OMG I can't wait to try one of those again :)

DVC newbie here! My husband and I have been talking about buying and researching for a couple of years now and just kept putting it off. Well, we finally took the plunge and purchased at SSR and are super excited to be a part of the DVC family. After all disney is out second home anyways and now we have years or vacations to look forward to. So just a little Q&A...what was the first vacation you took after purchasing your DVC??? I just can't decide...there are so many possibilities and I want to do them all :) Can't wait to hear what some of you have done!!

Congratulations and Welcome Home!

The first DVC trip we booked was at our home resort of BLT in a 2 bedroom because we were bringing family in Sept. But we couldn't wait that long so we got 2 nights in June at BWV with boardwalk view. After that short little trip we were hopelessly hooked and have added on twice since then.

Suggest that you start a log/trip report keeping track of your vacations, the resorts, room info, location, what you liked and didn't like.

After a few years you can use the log to decide where to book your repeat stays and which resorts to buy as an add-on.

:earsboy: Bill

So just a little Q&A...what was the first vacation you took after purchasing your DVC???
Welcome and Congratulations!

We purchased SSR in May 2004. Our first stay using DVC points was at Vero Beach in late August of the same year. We called DVC Member Services while already vacationing in Pompano Beach and booked 2 nights in a studio for "same day arrival." So our Vero Beach stay was a "vacation within a vacation." Very spontaneous and very fun!

Beyond that we use our DVC points primarily at either BWV or the Grand Californian. Our first SSR visit was in Dec 2009 in the new Treehouse Villas.

Suggest that you start a log/trip report keeping track of your vacations, the resorts, room info, location, what you liked and didn't like. After a few years you can use the log to decide where to book your repeat stays and which resorts to buy as an add-on. :earsboy: Bill

This is a fantastic idea!!! We have taken several vacations to disney (which is what prompted out purchase of DVC) and I wish I would have been keeping a log all along. Not that I don't remember the big stuff but I'm sure that after the years it will be helpful to have a log!
I am enjoying reading all the vacations and it makes me even more excited to book our first trip. We definitely want to stay in the tree houses when we have our families along though!
Keep 'em coming!!

We were staying onsite at DL-AB (now POR), when we took the DVC tour. As part of the contract I required them to set-up a DVC at what at that time was DVC (OKW) within the cancellation period. So the next weekend, we came back to OKW and were very glad that it was everything we were told it was suppost to be. We were previously burnt by a timeshare purchase.

Welcome home! And good for you for researching before you bought. We bought 12 years ago, purely on impulse-DH didn't even go on the tour-but when I came home and he saw the look in his eyes, the smart man said "Great idea!" For our first visit (about 5 months after we bought) we spent a week at our newly purchased home resort. Then on the spur of the moment (note a trend?), we added a night and when we called Member Services "Just add a night at any other DVC resort-we want to try them all".

We own at VWL, and love our home resort. Our contract came loaded, and we decided that since we had those extra points to use, we would use them at the most point-expensive DVC property.

So we stayed for a week in a one bedroom at VGC, which was tops of the point charts at the time. It was a fantastic experience, and we are returning to repeat that vacation this coming winter.

I'm a fan of "buy where you love to stay." But if you are diligent about seven month windows and can travel at off-peak times, DVC really is pretty flexible about letting you experience the whole system.

We bought in 2003, and in December of that year, we had a Carnival cruise planned out of Miami. We had air tickets in/out of Miami, but when we thought about it, we just could not travel to FL without using our DVC. So, just 3 months out, we booked a weekend at VWL. It was December 19th and while we were there, our first grandson was born! In 2003, weekends cost quite a bit more than week days, so at 3 months out, we were able to get a studio, at what was our very favorite DVC resort!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Congratulations on your purchase!

Congrats:banana:

Welcome home! pixiedust::cheer2: We joined in 2008 while on a cruise too. Our home resort was SSR also. Our first trip was to SSR, and we loved it! Our kids say it is the best thing we ever did. We have added on many times since, and the love keeps growing. Enjoy!!!!! :thumbsup2

WELCOME HOME!:welcome::welcome:

We purchased our home, AKV in October, 08 and our first trip was Aug, 09, on "Developer Points". Don't believe that DVC does that anymore but they were "matching points" incentive points to the amount of points that you purchased...We used them at Grand Californian Resort, 2 Connecting Rooms which was awesome. At that time, Villas at Grand Californian was in almost the completion phase and we had a chance to see that...FABULOUS VACA for first DVC trip..2nd trip, was our home, and we did Animal Kingdom Kidani, summer of 2010! :dance3:

Hope that you ENJOY DVC as much as OUR FAMILY DOES!!!!!:thumbsup2:dance3:

Congratulations! We purchased at BLT in 2012...three contracts of 170 for each of our kids eventually. Our first stay was at a regular room in GF...last minute trip and we had a lot of points that first year available...since then we stayed at VWL and BLT 2 bedroom units! Love how the family can stretch out. Enjoy!

Here's hoping you have decades of wonderful Disney trips! pixiedust: My fiancee (now wife) and I bought at VWL a few years back in May. We wanted to stay in our home resort during the second week of December, but had to go on a waitlist with little hope of it coming through so late. It took four months of waiting, piecing together days, and being willing to do a split stay before we lucked out. Loved our stay, especially since it was my first holiday stay at WDW. Again, congrats!

Congrats on becoming a DVC member, I hope you will have years of great vacations to come. I also just became a DVC member for the first time last week when I bought into the GFV. On our first viist to WDW in Aug. 08 we took the tour at AKL and almost did it. After 6 years of thinking and putting off we decided now was the time... Our first trip as members is already booked and will be next June at the GFV with a deluxe studio lake view. :goodvibes

CONGRATS to you too! WELCOME HOME!:cheer2::welcome::welcome:

We are doing a split stay this beginning of Dec...2 nights our home, AKV, but Jambo(stayed at Kidani previously) and 2 nights VGF!

CAN'T WAIT!!!!:cheer2::cheer2:

First time at the Grand...Can't wait to see the BEAUTIFUL HOLIDAY DECORATIONS!:santa::thumbsup2

We just closed earlier this month and have a few quick,trips planned. AK in Aug, VGF in sep, WL in Oct, BW and AK in Dec and OKW in Jan. Next month we are booking a trip in March.

We just closed earlier this month and have a few quick,trips planned. AK in Aug, VGF in sep, WL in Oct, BW and AK in Dec and OKW in Jan. Next month we are booking a trip in March.

Holy moley!! That sounds like the life ;)!!! I hope you all have tons of fun and make some magical memories , I know you will!! Can't wait to book our first! We've been talking about maybe doing a couple of nights at disney then heading out on a disney cruise (paying cash). We've been wanting to do a cruise for a while and I know they offer special discounts to DVC members so we may check it out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter