Just to clarify my name. :-)

Today, I completed my final class at Brevard Community College, in Cocoa, FL. Graduation will be official on May 16th. On to UCF in 2014.

Talked to UCF this morning. They were very nice, understanding and helpful. They pushed back my admission, so I do not lose my opportunity if the wheelchair and everything does not happen in time. I can still attend UCF, but do not have to hold my breath hoping all this "3-6 months for a decision/approval" happens quickly. UCF is going to happen, but now, I have time to make sure everything is in place before I go.
Is there some sort of special wheelchair you need to be able to attend UCF?

Congrats, Skip!

Sayhello

Congratulations on finishing your classes, Skip. Hope you have fun at graduation!

Thanks Jack!

My transcript will reflect my Graduation and AA degree on May 16th, but I am not going to be at the Ceremony. I will actually be arriving in Orlando to see someone who I have not seen in a long time, take care of some business, and I am going to meet with an attorney too. ;)

Is there some sort of special wheelchair you need to be able to attend UCF?

Congrats, Skip!

Sayhello

As my Facebook friends know.....my current wheelchair is constantly in need of repairs lately. The company that makes it, no longer provides parts for it, so I need a new one in general. A new chair can only be approved every 5 years, so we had to wait until March 2013 to start the process for a new chair. The process takes 3-6 months, so we do not know if I will get my new chair in time for the Fall 2013 semester. We want my chair to be reliable before I "leave the nest" and stray too far from my family, and my wheelchair repair guy. We are just concerned about reliability of my current chair.

Thanks Jack!

My transcript will reflect my Graduation and AA degree on May 16th, but I am not going to be at the Ceremony. I will actually be arriving in Orlando to see someone who I have not seen in a long time, take care of some business, and I am going to meet with an attorney too. ;)

Be very careful about meeting with attorneys in Orlando. They think in terms of very small worlds. ;)

Maybe you can get Dr. Doofenshmirtz to "modify" the chair and add some "anators"

Skip,

I had not seen this thread before and was very touched by the story of your Dis name. Congrats on your accomplishment and hope you get your new chair soon!!

Laurie

Great story. We've always wanted to adopt a greyhound but have yet to act on it. They seem so regal.

Thats such a cool story!

I joke my cousins are named after our pets. We had a pet sheep (was a lamb that grew up and never left) called Nicky, my aunt and uncle called their first born Nichola). Our dog was called Sam... guess what they named their second born :lmao:

I'm glad Skip updated this thread - I had read it before but it had slipped my mind. Val & I are happy to hear that Skip is going to further his education and move into a career that he is eminently suitable for.

Skip - hope that new scooter comes through. :moped:

I love your story, Skip! :thumbsup2

You are an inspiration to all who know you, you help me to realize more and more that nothing is impossible. As a Christian I believe 'All things are possible through Him who strengthens me.'
You hear it and you know it, but until you see people act on it....you just blow me away, Skip. ::yes:: :hug:

2014 will mark my 20th year as a front line theme park employee. The year also brings with it opportunities to pursue some professional certifications, and opportunities for Taylor Nation Greyhounds. While I am not giving up on the childhood dream of attending UCF, I have decided to wait a little more. This will allow me time to Complete my 20th season at Wet 'n Wild North Carolina, pursue some IT and Travel Industry certifications, grow the Taylor Nation by putting more dogs on the track, and.....ok......yeah, have a little playtime too. I am NOT changing direction, just taking the scenic route to a bright future for me and the Taylor Nation.

I look forward to following your adventures Skip :good vibes

Hope that some time in the future our paths will cross. You are an inspiration and my hero :thumbsup2

I can't believe I've never seen this thread until now! Kudos to you Skip for your pursuits, you are an inspiration to many people.

When you visited the Greyhound Convention in Kansas, you probably weren't far from us. Abilene which is well know for it's Greyhound museum is only about 30 miles from us. Small world!

I can't believe I've never seen this thread until now! Kudos to you Skip for your pursuits, you are an inspiration to many people.

When you visited the Greyhound Convention in Kansas, you probably weren't far from us. Abilene which is well know for it's Greyhound museum is only about 30 miles from us. Small world!

Next Time that I go to Nationals, let's plan to meet up!

The Hall of Fame Museum is awesome.

Update: I became a resident of Florida in May 2013, but life's path has twists and turns, and I have commuted back and forth between Florida and North Carolina, to help my family. I hope everything works out as planned, so I can decrease the number of commutes.

Update for those who have asked: I have some things to take care of before I enter UCF. I still plan to transfer to UCF in August of 2015. I just have bucket list and other things to do and see before going back to school. This spring, I plan to become Apple Certified and learn the basics of iOS programming. I have not written code since 1993. Full Sail University reminds me of Weaver Education Center in Greensboro, NC. I am very curious about Full Sail, and really enjoy going to the WWENXT shows at the Full Sail Live Arena every month or so. I have always been fascinated with television production as well as WWE. I also admire Vince McMahon. If Full Sail still has the NXT partnership with WWE after I graduate from UCF, I may look into attending Full Sail, and getting involved with NXT for the learning experience. I do promise to complete UCF first. On the Greyhound side of things. There are some Taylor Nation Greyhounds at Roban Kennels. If all goes well, at least one Taylor Nation Greyhound will go to the track in 2015. There are plans for Taylor May Duffy to become a mother. I am still on a path toward UCF. I just need to get the dogs and other things taken care of first.

The Disability Services people at UCF were soooo nice and everything went extremely well. They knew about the DIS, so I found a comfort zone and relaxed. They looked at my history and saw what was not working. For the very first time in my college career, I found people who understand and want to help! Tracey Heinrichs THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!! This is possible!!!

I wrote this on March 21, 2015, but people keep asking me about it, so I will post it here:

I have just finished reading a blog entry by Mark E. Smith of powerchairdiaries.com, where Mr. Smith reflected on the past few years of his life’s journey. In the blog, Mr. Smith wrote “Sometimes our pasts, presents and futures collide all at once – and for a moment we see how it all makes sense.” Mr. Smith’s words caused me to reflect on the past few years of my own life’s journey, and how things in my past have collided with my present to possibly help shape my future.

In 1991, I was attending Smith High School. I was sent to Smith because the building was accessible. Page High School was the designated high school for handicapped students at the time, but Page was, and still is, the bitter rival of Grimsley (the high school in the school district where I had grown up.) When you grow up in either the Grimsley or Page school districts, you learn, at an early age, who’s side you are on. When it came time for me to go to high school, the school board said “Grimsley is not handicapped accessible. We have designated Page as the high school for handicapped students.” After growing up entirely in the Grimsley district, I was very aware of the Grimsley/Page rivalry, and viewed Page as “enemy territory.” I begged and pleaded not to go to Page. After a summer of discussions, a compromise was reached. I was sent to Smith High School, instead of Page, but my loyalty remained with Grimsley.

Smith was a very awkward and difficult time for me. The only person I knew at Smith was my childhood friend, Ryan. Ryan and I did almost everything together. Most notably was becoming fans of, and getting involved with the Greensboro Monarchs minor league hockey team. This is where I developed my fascination with sports and entertainment arenas/stadiums. Ryan and I shared both highs and lows. Hockey, and my other adventures with Ryan gave me something to focus on outside of Smith. Ryan also introduced me to a “sport” known as professional wrestling.

Also while at Smith, I met the Tyler family They taught me how to communicate using the message boards, chatrooms, and the “Citizen’s Band Radio Simulator” on CompuServe. The Tyler family opened up a whole new world for me, and gave me a skill that has evolved, and become a very large part of my life and socialization today. Part of this was finding an outlet for my passion for Walt Disney World in CompuServe’s Tuesday Night Disney Trivia game in the “Florida Forum.”

Smith was generally a very difficult and unhappy time for me, but had I not gone to Smith, I would have missed out on the good times with Ryan and the Tyler family.

In the 1993-1994 school year, I presented a schedule of Grimsley High School classes to the school board. I would spend half the school day at the fully-accessible Weaver Education Center, and the other half on the first floor of Grimsley. After years of failure, I was finally able to attend and graduate from Grimsley High School, with my friends from my neighborhood, elementary, and middle school.

In the process of choosing classes that were on the first floor, I was given the choice of Sports Medicine or Algebra. I had no idea what Sports Medicine was, but I knew very well that I struggled with Algebra. I chose Sports Medicine, Little did I realize how that one decision would have such a positive impact on my entire life.

Coach Joe Franks taught the Sports Medicine class. Coach Franks knew of my rough journey from Page, to Smith, and finally realizing my dream of attending Grimsley. He helped me experience sports, and everything the high school experience should be. He saw through the disability and everything, to see the person. He made me the Student Athletic Trainer for the Varsity Cheerleaders. I don't think he even knew how much heart I would put into, or how much pride I would have in being the cheerleader trainer. While teaching me how to tape a wrist, Coach Franks said “It don't have to be pretty. It just has to work.” I have remembered that saying through time. My methods of doing things may not always be pretty, but they work most of the time. Coach Franks also told me “It may not happen for you as fast as you want it to, but Florida and Disney will happen for you one day.” During the 9 month period that I spent at Grimsley, Coach Franks changed my life and my attitude. He also gave me the self esteem needed to apply for my first theme park job, at Emerald Pointe Water Park (now known as Wet’n Wild).

At the time I was in school, Weaver Education Center was a satellite vocational school that served 4 high schools in the school system. I took television production fro Mr. Chip McCraw. Mr. McCraw saw my eagerness to learn everything I could about television and video production. I would ask Mr. McCraw to teach me more advanced things after class. I spent many hours of my own time after school learning switching, editing, and the NewTek Video Toaster. Mr. McCraw even trusted me to operate the Video Toaster and the Switcher during live productions. I remember him putting me on the switcher for the broadcast of the “Little Four” basketball tournament at the Greensboro Coliseum. I asked him who was calling the (camera) shots. He said “It is your show. You call the shots.” I was a bit shocked and very honored that he would put that much trust in me. Mr. McCraw also had to endure my fixation on the production of a relatively new show on USA Network, called “WWF Monday Night Raw.”

In 1997, I was accepted into the Walt Disney World College Program, but I was not able to complete the program, due to medical reasons. I was told that I could come back and try again when the time was right. I was embarrassed and ashamed of myself for failing as a Disney Cast Member. I was to embarrassed to go back to Walt Disney World for many years, but as Walt Disney once said “You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” I was totally unaware of the great things to come.

On June 30, 1997, my Grandfather, Harley Alitz, took me to see my first live “WWF Monday Night Raw” in Des Moines, Iowa. I had attended a couple of WWF shows, but this was my first live Raw broadcast. The show was great, but what happened after the show was amazing! My Grandmother had booked the Best Western hotel, purely because it was next door to the arena, unaware of anything else. As we were walking back to the hotel, we ran into Brian Christopher (Lawler) and Jerry Lawler in the hotel parking lot. To our surprise, they were staying at the same hotel that we were. Brian Christopher was extremely nice and took me around, introducing me to everyone, including Hall of Famer Pat Patterson and company owner Vince McMahon.

On May 27, 2001, my Uncle, Dave Alitz took me to my very first Greyhound race in person at Bluffs Run in Council Bluffs, Iowa. I was totally fascinated, and wanted to learn more. I searched and searched, but everything I found was Anti-Racing. I did not give up, and finally, I found Kimberly and George Jewell. They were in the process of starting Project Racing Home. Kimberly saw how I connected with the dogs, and my willingness to learn. Kimberly and the dogs gave me knowledge and a purpose in life. I learned a lot about the breed, and about racing, and I met a lot of people along the way

By pure coincidence, May 27, 2001 was also the birthdate of a “Cowdog” Greyhound, known as “Kat Vette.” I did not meet (or even know of) Kat Vette until he retired and came to Project Racing Home, but his adoption brought many special people and experiences into my life. He became known as “Jett” once he arrived at Project Racing Home. He first attracted my attention because the 3 Cowdog spots on his rear end formed an upside down “Hidden Mickey.”

In 2005, my Mom was driving me to Derby Lane in St. Petersburg, Florida. I was one of the speakers at a Greyhound Adoption Convention. On the way to Derby Lane, Mom and I decided to stop at the Magic Kingdom for a day. At first, it felt like just a stop to break up the drive, but as the day went on, I realized how much I had loved and missed Walt Disney World. As we were leaving on the monorail, I told my Mom “I have to try again.”

I returned home, and posted on the Project Racing Home message board about my rekindled interest in Orlando and Walt Disney World. I also posted about my desire to start a Greyhound racing and adoption business in Orlando. I also mentioned interest in buying a hotel on International Drive and turning it into an adoption kennel. One of our volunteers, Taylor Hutchinson, responded. She introduced herself as being from Orlando, and said “I have to meet you.” She also expressed interest in adopting Jett. Yes, the “Mickey Mouse Cowdog” was heading for a home in Orlando!!!!

Taylor and I met about a week later, at a Project Racing Home event. At that time, I had never met anyone from Orlando before, and I was starstruck. When she first saw my message board post about turning a hotel into a dog kennel, she thought I was joking. After getting to know me, Taylor realized that I am crazy enough to attempt turning a hotel into a dog kennel. We share a love of the NGA racing Greyhound and the desire to start a Greyhound business of our own. Taylor and her family encouraged me to go back to school, and follow my dreams in Orlando. The Hutchinson-Plumblee family have really helped me start a life in Orlando, and finish school.

As my community college progressed, I began thinking about Walt Disney World and the Disney College Program. A quick Google search lead me to DISboards.com and the “DIS Unplugged” podcast. I would never have thought that I could get emotionally attached to a website and a podcast, but they have changed my life in such a profound and positive way.

When I first met the podcast team, it was like meeting celebrities. As I got to know them, and they got to know me, they became like family. They all mean so much to me. They have also given me a voice and helped to make my dreams come true. Also, the DIS events have provided me with every experience I could ever dream of, and more. The annual Down Syndrome Walk (The “Ferris Walk”) with the Martin family, has become very important to me. Also, the podcast team introduced me to Tracey, Chris, and Ben. They helped me find the answers to questions about myself that I have been asking and wondering about for my entire life. I will be forever grateful to them. Shortly after talking to Tracey and Chris, I had a conversation with Ryan (my friend of 31 years now). Ryan and I were reflecting on our years at Smith, and what we have discovered since. I, like many adults before me said “If I knew then what I know to be true now….” The podcast and the podcast team have had a very positive effect on my every day life, as well as my Disney life.

The DISboards themselves have helped me to form friendships too. Shelly has become like a sister to me. She and I do a lot together. I use the name “Justin Jett” on the DISboards, as an homage to the 2 cowdog Greyhounds who impacted my life greatly. Because of the name, Justine and I have the whole “Justin and Justine” repartee going on. Even though she is not a wrestling fan, Justine is also amused by my tales of WWE Superstar “Fandango.” To my surprise, Jeff Alves from the DISboards turned out to be the “Jeff” who was in the CompuServe Florida Forum every week, for Tuesday Disney Trivia over 20 years ago. Also, James Keeling attended many of the same Greensboro Monarchs hockey games that I attended over 20 years ago, but we had never met before the DISboards. There are too many people and experiences that the DIS has brought into my life to list here, but the DIS has become a very large part of my life.

In 2013, a friend of mine from the DISboards, who knew I was a wrestling fan, encouraged me to attend one of World Wrestling Entertainment’s NXT developmental (training) shows at Full Sail University.. Finally, in August 2013, I agreed to go to a show. The atmosphere and people reminded me of the atmosphere and crowds at the Greensboro Monarchs hockey games, and they don’t use pyro, so I was able to relax and enjoy myself. The fact that Full Sail University students were working as part of the production crew, coupled with the fact that there was a NewTek Tricaster 5 feet behind me made me think back to Chip McCraw’s class at Weaver Education Center. I said to myself “A wrestling ring is 5 feet in front of me, a Tricaster is 5 feet behind me. I like this!” It has been over 20 years since I last worked on a live or live to tape broadcast, but I can't help wondering if I can still do it.

As many of my friends know, I am an iPhone fanboy! As I am watching my first NXT show, out comes this dude, named Tyler Breeze, with an iPhone and boots with fur tassels. The fur tassels on the boots resembled a Puli dog. When the bell rang, he did not even wrestle. He just stayed in the corner, looking at himself with the FaceTime camera, while the crowd chanted “Breeze is gorgeous.” I was hooked from that point on. There were some NXT shows that took place at times when I was in Orlando for other events and business. The more NXT shows that I attend, the more I love NXT, and the more intrigued I am by Full Sail University.

Two months after my first WWE NXT show, Pete met and interviewed WWE Superstar Scotty 2 Hotty on the podcast. It was an experience to see a man who I have watched on many Monday Nights, being interviewed on the podcast that I dearly love. I was thrilled to find out that Scotty is a fan of the podcast and a theme park fan, like me. I looked forward to the day when I might meet Scotty 2 Hotty in person. About a year later, I did get to meet Scotty. Where? I unexpectedly ran into him in a hotel parking lot. Coincidentally, it was very similar to the way I met his tag team partner, Brian Christopher, in 1997. Scotty is a cool dude.

A few months later, I met Richard Bunt, Brian “Tiny” Bearden, and Theresa Parsons. They have enjoyed following my NXT and WWE adventures. They have taught me a lot about the history and the business of professional wrestling. Between NXT, Scotty, Richard, Brian, and Theresa, I cannot believe how professional wrestling has become part of my life along with the theme parks

If I had successfully been able to complete the Disney College Program in 1997. I most likely would have missed out on the Greyhound experiences and would have never met Kimberly, George, or anyone at Project Racing Home, Derby Lane, etc. I would live and work within 20 miles of the Hutchinson family, but would probably never meet them. Also, I don't know if the DIS and associated people would be part of my life.

In 2014, my past and present came together a few times. I celebrated 20 years of working at Wet’n Wild/Emerald Pointe. I got to show Coach Franks and his wife Tiffany around a Disney theme park, and ride “Living with The Land” with them. At the Greensboro Run/Walk for Autism, I saw Chip McCraw in person for the first time since my high school graduation ceremony on June 5, 1994. Mr. McCraw said “I’d ask you what you have been up to, but I already know. Your Facebook entertains me.”

During the Autism walk, Mr. McCraw and I talked about the past and the present. I told him all about UCF, NXT, and Full Sail University. I told him that I was frustrated with having to put things on hold, but I was crossing things off my bucket list while waiting for the right time to move forward with my plans and goals. He told me “Success is a journey, not a destination.”

In December 2014, I am on board the Disney Magic cruise ship for DIS Podcast Cruise 5.0, and we come to discover that WWE Superstar Roman Reigns is, coincidentally on the boat with us. On Castaway Cay day, we got to watch (from a far) as Roman Reigns got married on the beach. Shortly after watching the wedding, I find myself discussing Full Sail University with a dude who, ironically, was named Tyler!!

As I reflect on my past, and how I have gotten to where I am at this moment, it is fascinating how things have fit together to help life events make sense.. I had dreams and goals that 20 years ago were just dreams and goals. I could have never predicted that I would have the friends that I have, or that I have experienced all that I have. I would have never seen myself traveling on Amtrak to wrestling shows and theme parks once a month. I could have never predicted that I would become associated with a Platypus and a wrestler with furry boots and an iPhone. I have goals and plans for the future, and opportunities ahead of me. Will things change? Will things stay the same? As Mark E. Smith said in his blog “Despite the twists and turns, life always leads us to where we’re supposed to be.”

Skip, you never cease to impress me. You have a good head on your shoulders and you use it. Go for your dreams!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter