• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just the 2 of us - A Mommy and Me trip 9/25 - 10/1 - Update 7/2

my DS will be turning 4 two days before our trip and know you got me wanting to go measure him. I really am planning on him being tall enough this time. That was one of the main reasons why we did not go last year.

How did the measuring go? Is he there yet. Fingers crossed for you guys :goodvibes

We've only stayed at Pop Century, so I can't compare it to the others. But, we really liked it. I'm sure the theming isn't quite as young kid friendly as the All Stars, and I don't think anything can compare to the kid-centric theming at the AoA (we are totally going to explore that one on our trip also, if I can convince dad. ;)).

But, we stayed at the far reaches of the resort both times and didn't find the walk too difficult (we prefer the outskirts of the resort for the quiet). We were in the 90s section the first time and could easily trot across a parking lot to the buses. Very quick. But it was much warmer crossing all that blacktop.
Our last trip we were in the 60s (I think), on the back side facing the lake and AoA. A slightly longer walk, but still not bad.

We found the buses great. We never waited long. The longest drive is to MK, so that's not ideal, but still not awful when you had a seat.
Just do NOT get on a bus back to the resort at the end of a long day if you will end up standing with your little guy. Just my opinion, but it would be easier to wait for the next bus (which come quickly when the crowds are exiting the park) than to try to stand with a young one for the entire ride back. (We actually try to follow the advice of staying seated while the crowd exits, then heading out as things quiet down.)

Good Luck making the resort decision. That's a tough one!

As for tickets. I think you should get the 4-day pass. You can always add a day to your tickets if you decide you want to add another park day.
We're going to be at Ft. Wilderness for 5 days, but we're only going to have four park days. We'll just enjoy our resort, DD, or maybe some putt putt on our check-in day.

This decision is just so tough. Woe is me right??:rotfl2: I am so torn between a moderate and the value. I am glad that you are thinking the same way as me about the tickets. Do you think it is better to do one resort at a time or should I think about park hoppers? I am thinking it is not worth the extra money at this time with Gabrian. Maybe when he gets older it would be better.

How did the measuring go? Is he there yet. Fingers crossed for you guys :goodvibes

I actually did after you gave me the idea:thumbsup2 and he is well and good at 42 inches. He likes to watch roller coaster rides an you tube and he thinks he can ride them. I found Everest on there and he wants to ride it. One brave kid but he still has 2 more inches before he can ride it.

"Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea"

Ok...I completely surprised myself but I have finally committed to a Resort and I couldn't be happier. October 19th - October 24th we will be staying at AoA in a Little Mermaid room!

AoAroom_zpse876769b.jpg
(Thank you to whoever's picture this is. It was a great shot of the room!)

I was debating back and forth and really thought I had decided on a moderate (even though it was out of my price range). However, I found a great resource of pictures on trip advisor and none of the pictures of any the moderates were really speaking to me. I just couldn't see any of them really being worth the extra money. When I found the pictures of AoA, I just knew it would be perfect for Gabrian. He will recognize all of the characters and the biggest selling point was this:

AoApool_zps59f5aa37.jpg

It was so exciting to actually make the reservation. On my Disney page it says 217 days until vacation. I am so beyond thrilled and I love how you can make multiple payments online so I can chip away at this balance. I would like to request a King size bed and to be put in the building that is the closest as possible to everything (I realize that all of the LM rooms are pretty far away and all pretty close to each other but it seems that building 9 may be the "closest" so I will have to research). Then I will have to figure out how to make the request.

Now I can spend the next 37 days obsessing over the dining reservations.

"Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea"

Ok...I completely surprised myself but I have finally committed to a Resort and I couldn't be happier. October 19th - October 24th we will be staying at AoA in a Little Mermaid room!

AoAroom_zpsa65476ef.jpg
(Thank you to whoever's picture this is. It was a great shot of the room!)

I was debating back and forth and really thought I had decided on a moderate (even though it was out of my price range). However, I found a great resource of pictures on trip advisor and none of the pictures of any the moderates were really speaking to me. I just couldn't see any of them really being worth the extra money. When I found the pictures of AoA, I just knew it would be perfect for Gabrian. He will recognize all of the characters and the biggest selling point was this:

AoApool_zps0acc692a.jpg

It was so exciting to actually make the reservation. On my Disney page it says 217 days until vacation. I am so beyond thrilled and I love how you can make multiple payments online so I can chip away at this balance. I would like to request a King size bed and to be put in the building that is the closest as possible to everything (I realize that all of the LM rooms are pretty far away and all pretty close to each other but it seems that building 9 may be the "closest" so I will have to research). Then I will have to figure out how to make the request.

Now I can spend the next 37 days obsessing over the dining reservations.

Ooooh, so jealous. I think that resort is adorable. Your son is going to LOVE it!!!
I couldn't see the photos? So I've got a question...
Are those standard rooms or suites? I know they have both at AoA.

I wish, wish, wish I could stay the night in a cosy cone. lol. Too bad they didn't create cosy cone cabins for that section.
I'm such a dork and think that would be hilarious. :upsidedow

Yeah for AoA! Take lots of pictures!! :worship:

We are in a standard room. I wish that I could afford one of the suites because Gabrian would love to be in Cars room. I am trying to make sure he doesn't see pictures of the suites because I think he would be disappointed when our room doesn't look like that. It is a shame that they make it so expensive or that they didn't make some standard rooms with boy choices. Oh well...I think the resort will be awesome and we will love the grounds.

Oooohh, now I'm jealous! I really want to try AoA but I haven't been able to convince DH yet. Maybe one day.

I agree that it's a little frustrating that the only standard rooms are LM, it seems like they could have at least offered another choice. Or even better, make all the buildings such that they had both regular rooms and suites. But being so young, I bet he's going to love it anyway! Actually my 2 yo DS is fascinated by mermaids, go figure!

I feel the same way! Devyn would love lion king or cars but it was out of our price range and i wish the standard rooms had a theme for boys as well

Exciting development!!! Can't wait to hear about your experience at AoA. That was our other consideration for our trip too before the 'points' won out!

The resort looks so awesome!!!!

I am so confused. I have been making list after list of restaurants that we may want to consider and it is getting longer and longer. Than on top of that I am thinking about making switching to just the regular dining plan. We like eating 3 meals a day so I don't think that will be a problem with the deluxe but I worry that we will always feel that we have to get to the next reservation and it will become more of a chore than something fun. The other thing that would be nice is that it would save me about $300. I will list out what I am considering for our meals if we are on deluxe and put in parenthesis what we would do if it was the regular dining plan. I have put down which park we would be at for that day but until the hours come out those won't be set in stone.

Saturday: Arrival Day
Breakfast: Airport
Lunch: Airport/Snack at Resort
Dinner: T-Rex or Raglan Road or 'Ohana or Spirits of Aloha (CS at DTD)

Sunday: Animal Kingdom
Breakfast: Tusker House (CS - OOP)
Lunch: Sanaa or Yak & Yeti (CS in the Park)
Dinner: Turf Club Bar & Grille or Raglan Road or T-Rex (same)

Monday: Epcot
Breakfast: Captain's Grille or Akerhus (CS - OOP)
Lunch: Food & Wine Festival (same)
Dinner: Kouzzina (same)

Tuesday: Magic Kingdom
Breakfast: Grand Floridian Café or Crystal Palace or CRT (CS - OOP)
Lunch: Kona Café or The Wave or The Liberty Tree Tavern (BOG or Pecos Bill)
Dinner: BOG or T-Rex or Raglan Road (same)

Wednesday: Hollywood Studios
Breakfast: Hollywood & Vine (same)
Lunch: Brown Derby or Mama Melrose (CS in Park)
Dinner: Boma (same)

Thursday: Departure Day
Breakfast: Kona Café (same but OOP)
Lunch: Bongos Cuban Café or Paradiso 37 or Fultons (CS in DTD)
Dinner: Airport

So what does everyone think? Which one should I go with? Which reservations should I go with? Am I missing any restaurants that are must do?

Help...I am so confused!!!

I am so confused. I have been making list after list of restaurants that we may want to consider and it is getting longer and longer. Than on top of that I am thinking about making switching to just the regular dining plan. We like eating 3 meals a day so I don't think that will be a problem with the deluxe but I worry that we will always feel that we have to get to the next reservation and it will become more of a chore than something fun. The other thing that would be nice is that it would save me about $300. I will list out what I am considering for our meals if we are on deluxe and put in parenthesis what we would do if it was the regular dining plan. I have put down which park we would be at for that day but until the hours come out those won't be set in stone.

Saturday: Arrival Day
Breakfast: Airport
Lunch: Airport/Snack at Resort
Dinner: T-Rex or Raglan Road or 'Ohana or Spirits of Aloha (CS at DTD)

Sunday: Animal Kingdom
Breakfast: Tusker House (CS - OOP)
Lunch: Sanaa or Yak & Yeti (CS in the Park)
Dinner: Turf Club Bar & Grille or Raglan Road or T-Rex (same)

Monday: Epcot
Breakfast: Captain's Grille or Akerhus (CS - OOP)
Lunch: Food & Wine Festival (same)
Dinner: Kouzzina (same)

Tuesday: Magic Kingdom
Breakfast: Grand Floridian Café or Crystal Palace or CRT (CS - OOP)
Lunch: Kona Café or The Wave or The Liberty Tree Tavern (BOG or Pecos Bill)
Dinner: BOG or T-Rex or Raglan Road (same)

Wednesday: Hollywood Studios
Breakfast: Hollywood & Vine (same)
Lunch: Brown Derby or Mama Melrose (CS in Park)
Dinner: Boma (same)

Thursday: Departure Day
Breakfast: Kona Café (same but OOP)
Lunch: Bongos Cuban Café or Paradiso 37 or Fultons (CS in DTD)
Dinner: Airport

So what does everyone think? Which one should I go with? Which reservations should I go with? Am I missing any restaurants that are must do?

Help...I am so confused!!!

I think I would go with the regular plan. For two reasons...

1. Like you said, it's a shorter trip, with just a little guy, and you might feel pressured making all those ressies.

2. (Maybe it's my lack of planning/understanding of the new Fastpass guidelines and how to make them work, I'm used to the old method of return any time.) But, I'd also worry about how to work out that many ADRs around fast pass return times and not feel like I was missing out on something. Just seems like it could get complicated. :scratchin

If you're little one loves the restaurants and you've got a better understanding of how to make the new fast pass rules work, these may be non-issues. In which case, $300 is not worth changing to me. :upsidedow

Confusing enough for ya? :rotfl:

I think I would go with the regular plan. For two reasons...

1. Like you said, it's a shorter trip, with just a little guy, and you might feel pressured making all those ressies.

2. (Maybe it's my lack of planning/understanding of the new Fastpass guidelines and how to make them work, I'm used to the old method of return any time.) But, I'd also worry about how to work out that many ADRs around fast pass return times and not feel like I was missing out on something. Just seems like it could get complicated. :scratchin

If you're little one loves the restaurants and you've got a better understanding of how to make the new fast pass rules work, these may be non-issues. In which case, $300 is not worth changing to me. :upsidedow

Confusing enough for ya? :rotfl:

I know I am so confused! One one hand we would love to try out all the different restaurants. On the other hand I don't want to always have the thought that I have to get to the next reservation. I guess what I need to do is really figure out what I would do with the regular dining and see how badly I would feel if I were dropping the other reservations.

Just stopping by real quick!

After work I'll be able to help with feedback :)

Hey! You didn't tell me you had a PTR going! (did you???)

I would go with the regular DDP. It doesn't seem like it when you think about eating 3x a day, but it really is. I cannot imagine interrupting what you are doing all the time for an ADR on the Deluxe plan! And don't get me wrong...Disney food is a big part of my trip, but it really is a lot to do 1 ADR a day! Ok, subbing now! :woohoo:

Hey! You didn't tell me you had a PTR going! (did you???)

I would go with the regular DDP. It doesn't seem like it when you think about eating 3x a day, but it really is. I cannot imagine interrupting what you are doing all the time for an ADR on the Deluxe plan! And don't get me wrong...Disney food is a big part of my trip, but it really is a lot to do 1 ADR a day! Ok, subbing now! :woohoo:

Yay!! I am so glad that you are here! I know I should switch to the regular plan but I having such a hard time giving up the Deluxe plan. I keep putting off the decision...I only have about 6 1/2 months to waffle about it!

We haven't done any of the dining plans, I think we should but DH doesn't think it is worth it. But her deluxe seems like a lot of eating and ADR's. in general, we do one tae service a day. Occasionally 2 but those are rare and most likely a late character brunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter