Just started planning May 22nd trip - yikes!

travelitis

DIS Veteran
Any thoughts for a tired mom who would rather not have to plan where we're going every day because of making PS?

Here's the scoop on our trip:
I normally plan to plan to plan our trips, but there's no time now. We just decided to go on the 11th! We're going to do 1 day of water park and maybe 4 days of WDW. We haven't gone to Universal, so I'm thinking of going there a couple of days. We would enjoy a Disney Quest day, too. Did I mention I want this to be laid-back? ha! We'll arrive on the 23rd after a 15 hr. drive. We leave on the 30th, probably 4-ish. My dd's 6th b-day is Friday. We're staying off-site at our timeshare.

I have the Wonderland Tea Party booked for Tuesday but am thinking of cancelling it just to simplify. (bad mom!)

For her b-day we got 1900 PF, because all princess meals of any kind are totally booked all week, of course.

Our cast of characters:
dh and me
ds 12
ds 10 this mo.
dd 6 on the 28th

We will get haircuts at Main Street barber shop and ride Mission Space. I'll probably have to go to 50's PT for Dad's Super Sundae.

Did I mention I've had to reschedule 2 MRI's and have to resched my ds's orthodontist appt that is one we really don't want to postpone. He's getting spacers, and his bite is causing neck and head pain, so he needs this apparatus. I also need to get him to the doc tomorrow to get a referral for a chiro to help with his neck pain to make the Disney trip livable. Then we might also take him to a massage therapist, because we can't drag him to WDW and expect him to miss his long-awaited ride on Mission Space.

This is starting to sound oppressive! Sanity help please! Vacation is supposed to be fun, not an albatross around my neck.

I normally plan to plan to plan our trips, but there's no time now. We just decided to go on the 11th! We're going to do 1 day of water park and maybe 4 days of WDW. We haven't gone to Universal, so I'm thinking of going there a couple of days. We would enjoy a Disney Quest day, too. Did I mention I want this to be laid-back? ha! We'll arrive on the 23rd after a 15 hr. drive. We leave on the 30th, probably 4-ish. My dd's 6th b-day is Friday. We're staying off-site at our timeshare.

US and IOA should not be miss and take a day to see each park. The Spideman ride is the best ride there. WDW do not have nothing like the ride.
This what I would do:

Day1 Mk

Day 2 MGM

Day 3 IOA

Day 4 Water Park and rest

Day 5 US

Day 6 IOA

On the day leaving I would go shopping and visit some the cheap attractions around and would not spend a full day in a theme park.

I love last minute trips!!! I get anxiety over waiting too long. We have literally decided Friday morning to go Friday evening somewhere's for a week.

If you want to make this more laid back then go for it!! You don't have to have everything planned out. However, if there are any "must do" meals then by all means get a PS. If you decide not to go, then just cancel. But this way you'll have your bases covered.

Man, I would have a massive panic attack :crazy: if I had to plan that quick, but I commend you on the plans you have made so far!! ::yes::

I think going to Universal is a great idea - and two days would be plenty to see both Universal and IOA (if you plan on going to both) DH didn't much care for IOA, but he isn't the thrill seeker I am, and I loved it. Loved Shrek 3-D and really want to see the Mummy ride!!

I really hope you have a wonderful trip!! I do think if you have anywhere special you want to eat to make a PS, but other than that, go with your gut feeling and you will have a blast!! :hyper:

Thanks for the words of support. This was becomming a chore, if you can believe that. I didn't even want to go to WDW, and I love Disney.

I'm trying to decide if we should go into a park Tuesday because the parks are open later or if we should skip it because they'll be busy? It's a Spectromagic night at MK, and I always love to see that.

We watched our Universal Studios propaganda video, and the vote was: 2 yes, 2 no, and 1 maybe. We have 4 thrill-seekers and a 6 yr. old who refuses to try the Haunted Mansion. We're hoping to get her in it this time, but we don't believe in pressuring her like I've seen some parents do at WDW. (A father witting behind us was scolding a small child for crying on ToT, the ride I'm most afraid of. We gave him pretty disgusted looks, and I told the little one I was as scared as he was. The father shut his ignorant trap. Poor kid!)

Here's the verdict:

IF we decide Mon. is a park day, cancel the tea party because it's
too inconvenient.
Postpone Universal until dd is more adventurous.
Get 4 day hoppers
Do a few hours at Disney Quest
Hit a water park one day
Make some more PS's

Now I'm off to work on those PS's.

Thanks!

I am also just starting to plan for the same dates that you are. We were all set to go to Destin FL and I changed my mind and decided to go to Disney instead. Now I can't seem to get excited about it and wished I had just kept my others plans. I think it's because I feel so run down and laying which sounded boring before sounds wonderful now.

Your strategy is totally different from mine. I love the last minute trip but I don't understand planning 6 park days, 3 water park days, one DD disney day in 7 days and then saying you don't want the "stress" of a few PS's.

I hyperventilated just reading your post.

:crazy: :crazy2: :crazy: :crazy2: :crazy:

For contrast, we get there the 22nd, leave the 30th and will do 3 park days (with afternoons OFF at the resort pool), one water park day (with half day off) and 2 full days off. Plus arrival and departure days are "off" too. I have a bunch of PS's which we will cancel if they just don't suit us that day -- so they really are no stress at all.

But then I'm sure this type of schedule looks just as crazy to you.

Our trip will still be hectic as we have 5 kids with one in a helmet due to seizures -- she's a handful!!!

When it's all said and done to each his own and I bet we'll both have a blast! So ENJOY.

:wave2: :earsboy: :wave2: :earsboy: :wave2:

I'm a real Universal and IOA fan (do love the thrill rides), and think your 6 yo might find things she likes at Universal--Woody's small roller coaster, the water play area, Jimmy Neutron, and Shrek. At IOA I'd think Suess Landing, the Sinbad show, maybe Unicorn Flyer, maybe the Popeye Raft Ride (very wet--I love this one). You might want to visit the Universal Boards here on the DIS. I've left out Nickelodeon Studios--don't know their schedule now.

HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter