Just Sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandymelons

mandymelons
We just got back from our wonderful trip and we stayed at the POR!!! Our room was perfect and the Acadian section was soooooooo quiet. Loved it!! Not once did I have to complain about noisey neighbors or ANYTHING.. All our dining reservations went off without a hitch and most of the time we got into them early. Food was great!! :banana: My only complaint about ANYTHING on our trip was the ECVs!!!! Im disgusted on how many people use them and they ARE NOT handicapped. I also DO NOT think that it is fair that I can be waiting in a line to go back to my hotel for 25 minutes and one of these ECV people can just go right to the front!!! This is not ok for me OR the 20 people in line in front of me. We are ALL tired and would like to get a seat and unfortunately every time an ECV gets on there the bus loses 4 seats. Okay, thats alright if you are truly handicapped but most are not,, its called eating too much or lazy. Maybe the transportation system needs to be tweeked so that a special bus designed just for the ECVs can make a loop around the resorts. Yes, this would take some time BUT this would deter some people from taking advantage. Sorry JUST SAYIN:confused3

Wow...judge much?

Sorry if this sounds harsh, and I (thankfully) have never needed an ECV, but WOW - to presume they are all fat and lazy? I assume you interviewed everyone on the ECV and reviewed their medical history?

WOW....

ETA - we also just got back, and the buses were virtually EMPTY, so I'm guessing you likely only saw this during park closing or other peak times, certainly not every time you used the bus. We used them all week and even with ECV's we still always got on the bus.

How can you possibly know what health issues people have just by looking at them? You are making some very big (and unkind) assumptions.....JUST SAYIN!

this thread is going to get ugly fast. the moderator will probably be along soon to close it.

First of all I DID NOT say fat!!! I saw many many many people jumping on and off of these ECVs and using them innapropriately, with small children on their laps and YOUNG people misusing them, and actually one tipped over in a crowd on Main Street with a baby riding in his mothers lap. Yes, I did see overweight people on them also, I wont lie. Not once did I say ANYTHING to insult the handicapped nor did I say they shouldnt have them . My grievance was with the misusers. THATS ALL!!! I made an observation and I was not judging anyone so chill out.

We just got back from our wonderful trip and we stayed at the POR!!! Our room was perfect and the Acadian section was soooooooo quiet. Loved it!! Not once did I have to complain about noisey neighbors or ANYTHING.. All our dining reservations went off without a hitch and most of the time we got into them early. Food was great!! :banana: My only complaint about ANYTHING on our trip was the ECVs!!!! Im disgusted on how many people use them and they ARE NOT handicapped. I also DO NOT think that it is fair that I can be waiting in a line to go back to my hotel for 25 minutes and one of these ECV people can just go right to the front!!! This is not ok for me OR the 20 people in line in front of me. We are ALL tired and would like to get a seat and unfortunately every time an ECV gets on there the bus loses 4 seats. Okay, thats alright if you are truly handicapped but most are not,, its called eating too much or lazy. Maybe the transportation system needs to be tweeked so that a special bus designed just for the ECVs can make a loop around the resorts. Yes, this would take some time BUT this would deter some people from taking advantage. Sorry JUST SAYIN:confused3

Emphasis mine - you did INSINUATE fat, and regardless, even if you think they're being misused (and I'm sure that on occassion some are) you can't know the reason behind renting the ECV.

First of all I DID NOT say fat!!! I saw many many many people jumping on and off of these ECVs and using them innapropriately, with small children on their laps and YOUNG people misusing them, and actually one tipped over in a crowd on Main Street with a baby riding in his mothers lap. Yes, I did see overweight people on them also, I wont lie. Not once did I say ANYTHING to insult the handicapped nor did I say they shouldnt have them . My grievance was with the misusers. THATS ALL!!! I made an observation and I was not judging anyone so chill out.

Oh, so what exactly DID you mean by "its called eating too much or lazy"?

You know, I've never needed or wanted to use one and I couldn't imagine spending one second judging why someone else would - it simply is not my business and completely their choice whether needed or not.

We leave in a couple of weeks for our third WDW vacation and have invited my handicapped aunt to join us. She will be utilizing an ECV (she can walk with a cane, but would NEVER be able to walk through the parks). She is pooh sized (as am I).

My family and I have been concerned about the perception that we would be "line skipping" while utilizing the resort busses. The OT confirms our fears. We do not want to be unfair to anyone, however, may need to get on before others to help her and will need to use those extra seats for her and her ECV.

One of the reasons why we love WDW so much is that it is so accommodating to all shapes, sizes and abilities. I am sad to hear that some WDW guests are not as accepting....

My only complaint about ANYTHING on our trip was the ECVs!!!! Im disgusted on how many people use them and they ARE NOT handicapped. I also DO NOT think that it is fair that I can be waiting in a line to go back to my hotel for 25 minutes and one of these ECV people can just go right to the front!!! This is not ok for me OR the 20 people in line in front of me. We are ALL tired and would like to get a seat and unfortunately every time an ECV gets on there the bus loses 4 seats. Okay, thats alright if you are truly handicapped but most are not,, its called eating too much or lazy. Maybe the transportation system needs to be tweeked so that a special bus designed just for the ECVs can make a loop around the resorts. Yes, this would take some time BUT this would deter some people from taking advantage. Sorry JUST SAYIN:confused3

Buses load handicap people first for safety issues. If you and the 20 people got on the bus, what does it matter when the ECV got on? Did you notice on your trip, since you were watching the ECVs, that they got off the buses LAST, after everyone else had left? No? Didn't think so.

Buses must comply with laws that provide for equal transportation. Therefore, the bus does not "lose seats" when a handicapped vehicle comes aboard--they make provisions to handle the handicap vehicles. Disabled are not supposed to be singled out and treated separately, you know, like the old time white-school black-school thing. So no separate-but-equal bus system, and anyways, yes, it would take some time to make a resort loop. I, an ECV user paying the same as you at Disney, wouldn't want to be put on a slow, milk-run bus just to make a point of detering some imaginary "scooter-cheaters" (whatever you are trying to describe).

My advice to you, "JUST SAYIN," is to JUST SAY NOTHING!!!

:sad2:

We leave in a couple of weeks for our third WDW vacation and have invited my handicapped aunt to join us. She will be utilizing an ECV (she can walk with a cane, but would NEVER be able to walk through the parks). She is pooh sized (as am I).

My family and I have been concerned about the perception that we would be "line skipping" while utilizing the resort busses. The OT confirms our fears. We do not want to be unfair to anyone, however, may need to get on before others to help her and will need to use those extra seats for her and her ECV.

One of the reasons why we love WDW so much is that it is so accommodating to all shapes, sizes and abilities. I am sad to hear that some WDW guests are not as accepting....

You will read these nasty comments here on the board, where people's real identity is concealed, but I bet anything you will not see or hear anything on your trip. You will have a great time. I have been to Disney many times with my ECV and nothing bad like the line skipping perception has happened. The more you try to engage strangers around you with smiles and small talk, I feel like it's being a handicap ambassador. We'll be there in a couple of weeks, too. Hope your aunt has the time of her life! :)

Okay Okay my god let me change my whole Just sayin comment.. Let me get politically correct.. I loved my trip it was great I have no complaints at all about anything the food the people the hotel the busses the ECVs I loved it all. I live in a perfect world and I never say anything wrong or have an opinion . You say you dont judge, but your judging ME for having an opinion.

WOW Op, that was a titch bit of an ignorant statement. How do you know that there is not an "invisible" medical syndrome? ARGGHHHH This particular judgment makes me ill, because SOME people are already dealing with a handicap, and are having to deal with the "death glare" from someone who is making a judgement where none is to be made.

Okay Okay my god let me change my whole Just sayin comment.. Let me get politically correct.. I loved my trip it was great I have no complaints at all about anything the food the people the hotel the busses the ECVs I loved it all. I live in a perfect world and I never say anything wrong or have an opinion . You say you dont judge, but your judging ME for having an opinion.

My mother in law will be making the trip with us to WDW FOR HER 70TH BIRTHDAY!!! Her appearance is that of a spry senior who is alert and can handle anything... she will be using an ECV. Why? She is a survivor of a heart attack two mini strokes and cancer. Try as she might, she would never be able to walk all day without losing steam... I hate to think what you might think of her if you saw her get on the bus before you... No.... scratch that. I couldn't care less. We are going to the happiest place on Earth where preconceived stereotypes and prejudices don't have control over us... we will be just fine! :thumbsup2

You were judged because your put your case to us for our comments. You don't live in a perfect world. If it was perfect, I would have the ability to walk, like you do. Sometimes I dream that I can walk again.

You last post shows you have learned something. All people are the same, don't point them out negatively because of some perceived differences that are only in your head. I am just the same as you. I can't walk for health reasons I won't discuss here so I use an ECV. But I have married, raised a child, buried my husband. I don't want you to pay attention to me any more than you would pay attention to any other stranger. Focus on other, positive things. Be thankful that you don't have health problems, because they are life-changing.

to the OP -

On behalf of my son with Autism.

On behalf of my grandmother with COPD.

On behalf of my friend whose wife has MS.

On behalf of every person out there that with a dissability that you can NOT see....

My deepest sympathy to you on the world of ignorance that you live in. I do hope that you are never put in a situation where you will cause such "inconvience" in the life of someone else as you were placed in on your vacation.

I appologize to you on behalf of everyone who made you wait a few extra minutes while they more than likely struggled with an issue that you can't even fathom.

You really can't always tell that someone has a disability from just glancing over for a minute or two. There are people who may need a scooter that can walk, just not for very long distances. Never assume and always be grateful if your arms and legs work well.

We had one for my MIL a few trips back. She is pooh sized and has terrible back and knee problems. Yes she is deconditioned, yes she could lose a few pounds, yes, she can walk (but not long distances without pain). So, the only way she could enjoy the WDW experience with us and her grandchildren is to use an EVC. Many of the que areas require the person with an EVC to go in a different line, not by choice. We often waited longer for a bus to accommodate her then others did. My point is that the only way for her to have the WDW experience was to use the EVC. Period. I don't care what the condition, even if it is deconditioning, obesity, chonic fatigue, etc., everyone has the right to experience the magic and none of us should even wonder why anyone is using an EVC, line pass, cane, etc. Most of us should be grateful we don't need one and be considerate of those that do. It is not easy navigating one of those things through crowds, it's very difficult. Whatever one's condition, if they are using an EVC, chances are there is a very valid reason they need it, and that reason doesn't even need to be 'medical' in origin. It's none of our business. I am so grateful that WDW is a place that is very accommodating to mobility issues and those with special needs. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter