• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just saved $20 a month on DirecTV - unadvertised package

DVCBELLE

Princess at Heart
I have subscribed to DirecTV for about 5 years now and have always had the total choice package - 150 channels. I never use them and have tried to call and get a lower package but the only lower one didn't have ESPN or Cartoon Network. I was not willing to give on those. My kids and DH watch them a lot.

I read somewhere there was a new unadvertised package called the select package with 72 channels. I called and they had it! It is 39.99 a month. I had a list of must have channels that I asked her about

Disney
Nick
Cartoon Network
ESPN

and they were all on the list (east and west coast feeds :thumbsup2)

They don't have Noggin or Boomerang or Sprout. A few years ago this would have bothered me but my youngest is 6 so we don't watch them as much as we used to!

I get a discount through my phone company and then I called once and they gave me a one year $10 monthly customer retention discount - I didn't lose either of those!!

Hopefully someone else can use this to save money!!

Of course - they don't have Disney XD - which I don't care about but wouldn't you know that was the channel my 6 yo was watching when they made the switch. He's never talking to me again and is going to be mad at me forever....:rolleyes1

My only requirement would be HGTV! :) I'll have to call and check on that! Thanks!

Does this package provide Discovery channels? We are looking at switching as well but once you price out what you watch nothing compares.

Do you know where we could get a list of the channels offered? I personally am thinking of switching to direct tv, but we need a package with the YES (Yankees) network!

Do you know where we could get a list of the channels offered? I personally am thinking of switching to direct tv, but we need a package with the YES (Yankees) network!

I was just wondering the same thing....we have to have certain channels too and most of them do not seem to be included on the lower priced packages.

We need:

BBC
HGTV
DIY
FOOD
TBS
ESPN
Fox Soccer

We pay extra for HD programming and I just notice most of these have HD channels so I am wondering if will would get them anyway with that.

THanks for the heads up OP

I don't have a listing of the channels. I just called and said a channel and she told me yes or no.

If you tell me the channel numbers - I will check them out for you.

I have no clue what the channel numbers are, but I can check from home and post to the thread. Thanks for being willing to help us out, I'd really love to get rid of my way too big Comcast bill!

I found a channel listing so I am going to go in and go station by station and highlight what I have - it will be nice to know what is in the package!

Once I have it I will post my channels for you all!!

Here is a listing of the channels...my guide didn't have every infomercial channel on them so I didn't write them down.

A&E +
Black Entertainment Television (BET)
Bloomberg Television
BYU TV
Cartoon Network
CNBC
CNBC World
CNN
Comedy Central
Country Music Television (CMT)
C-SPAN
C-SPAN2
Current TV
Daystar
DIRECTV Channel
Discovery Channel
Disney Channel (East)
Disney Channel (West)
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN CLASSIC
FitTV
Fox News Channel
Headline News
Home & Garden Television
Home Shopping Network
Link TV
MSNBC
MTV
NASA TV
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite (East)
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite (West)
NRB Network
PBS You
QVC
ShopNBC
TBS
The Church Channel
The Learning Channel (TLC)
The Weather Channel
The Word
TNT
Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN)
TV Guide Channel
TV One
USA Network
VH1

Blue Fairy - I know the FOOD wasn't one of them not sure about BBC but if you get them as HD channels - maybe you would be ok.

I really only "watch" about 25 channels and none of them are sports or Spanish stations - I wish I could pick my own list and go with those.

Unfortunately the "new package" won't help me. I watch too much AMC, Bravo, Lifetime, Food and Soap Network.

I'll keep calling them though.

Last question, does this also include your local channels? Because if so I'm ALL over this!!!! All the channels I'm looking for are on that list! Thanks for posting it!

Ugh, DH won't switch if it doens't have food network. I didn't see that on the list.

Last question, does this also include your local channels? Because if so I'm ALL over this!!!! All the channels I'm looking for are on that list! Thanks for posting it!
YEP!!! I have my local channels too! I had a moment of panic earlier b/c I didn't ask about them but they were there!!

DH is sad b/c we don't get our Fox Sports Channel that carries our baseball games. But since he only watched about 5 games this year - not worth it.

I really only "watch" about 25 channels and none of them are sports or Spanish stations - I wish I could pick my own list and go with those.

Unfortunately the "new package" won't help me. I watch too much AMC, Bravo, Lifetime, Food and Soap Network.

I'll keep calling them though.

I just said this to my DH the other day, I wish they would offer a tiered package and charge you how many channels you want, but let you pick the channels you actually watch!

directv's lowest package includes food network. it does not include usa however and we watch psych. i called about this middle tier unadvertised special and the gal in customer service said it didn't exist. foiled again.

directv's lowest package includes food network. it does not include usa however and we watch psych. i called about this middle tier unadvertised special and the gal in customer service said it didn't exist. foiled again.
Call again. All I asked for was the select package. Tell her you are sure it exists b/c you know someone who just signed up for it.

There are different channels between their base and this package. The base didn't work for me b/c it didn't have cartoon network and ESPN. It definitely makes sense to look at their choices and see what the minimum package you can live with is.

I read last night that there are groups trying to fight for ala carte services but the cable companies don't want that. It would hurt smaller channels that wouldn't get picked up otherwise so they fight it and then the service providers would lose money so they fight it.

Ugh, DH won't switch if it doens't have food network. I didn't see that on the list.

That's a deal breaker for me too. We don't have any kind of cable, but when I'm in a hotel I usually wind up turning the tv on the Food Network and leaving it there with an occassional trip over to HGTV or the Weather Channel.

Sheila

Ok, last question, I promise! LOL This package does not include HD or any type of DVR correct? Just wondering......Thanks OP for all your info!!

We actually got a letter from Direct TV, they want us to switch to them and get TV, high speed internet & phone from them....we are going to check into it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter