Just sailed the "Magic" Here are upgrades!

ashleylovesthebeach

Mouseketeer
Well I don't have time at the moment to write my trip report but I know a lot of people are wondering about the upgrades.
Everyone's opinions are different so I thought I would give you mine!

We were on the first sailing which was Sept 22nd through Sept 25th. The outside of the ship was excellent. You could tell she had been repainted.
Once we stepped aboard the first thing we noticed were all the pools were empty. While getting our first drink, of many :rotfl: , we asked Pio (our bartender) why. He said that the night before we sailed there was a huge storm in port and they could not get everything done. By the end of the day the pools were all back up and running. They did have a green tint to them but upon further investigation it appears they were clean. We are thinking they may have had the bottoms painted. We will have to get further updates on the pool from the next round of guests to see if they still have that green color.
I did see the kids splash area. It is by the slide but not very big. It looked as though the children were have a great time but it really is only big enough for five or six at a time.
This was my first time on the "Magic" so if I name some places the wrong name you will have to forgive me! :cool1: We spent a lot of our time at Beat Street :dance3: and my friend who has sailed the "Magic" before said there were a lot of changes here. The area was very nice and I though it was better than the wonder.
Other than this most of the changes were maintenance things that needed to be done. We asked our room hostess and she said most of the work done was carpeting, painting, redoing tile in a lot of stateroom bathrooms, redoing hand rails and floors (sanding and polishing) fixing things on the ceilings and such. I thought the crew would be well rested after dry dock but they all said that they had to help the contracters with the manual work and only had one day off. Most were not used to this kind of work and were very tired. They were glad to set sail and do their normal jobs.
I thought the ship looked good and althought some things were still being repaired everyone had an excellent attitude. I know many have complained but I really have no complaints. I hope to start my trip report soon.
Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you for this....

Being a first timer on Magic, what would you rate your stateroom? Did it seem worn to you or was it what you expected?

We are considering booking our first DC on the Magic when the new dates are released and this is the one thing that concerns me.

mom2two2

Thanks for taking time to report on the Magic. We're sailing in December and cannot wait to be back aboard. Lookin' forward to your report.

Thank you for this....

Being a first timer on Magic, what would you rate your stateroom? Did it seem worn to you or was it what you expected?

We are considering booking our first DC on the Magic when the new dates are released and this is the one thing that concerns me.

mom2two2

Our room was great! Nothing seemed worn at all. When we arrived we had a wet paint sign hanging in both bathrooms but the room steward quickly appeared and took the signs down saying all was dry! The flat screen T.V.'s were nice but we really didn't spend time watching them. I thought the beds were comfortable but I always seem to sleep well with the rocking of the ship! ;) We were in room 6134!

Our room was great! Nothing seemed worn at all. When we arrived we had a wet paint sign hanging in both bathrooms but the room steward quickly appeared and took the signs down saying all was dry! The flat screen T.V.'s were nice but we really didn't spend time watching them. I thought the beds were comfortable but I always seem to sleep well with the rocking of the ship! ;) We were in room 6134!

First of all - thank you for the report! I do have another question for you. Did you happen to notice the "Hot Tub" waterfalls to the adult pool in the Quiet Cove? I had read that this was going to be one of the upgrades but have not read any comments or seen any photos.

Thanks again!

Yep, the waterfalls are there and they are quite nice. I will try to get some pics and will upload after the trip. It takes way to long to get them to upload on this satellite internet! But the adult pool area is very nice, between the new tables and chairs and the updated pool I think you can "feel" the difference between the kids section and the adult section. :goodvibes

Thank you so much! There was another TR with pics and the stateroom looked really nice in that thread as well. It must have been some isolated and very unfortunate incidents that we have been hearing about (not that I did not take what they are saying with 100% faith....). It is sounding like the problems are the exception rather than the norm...

mom2two2

Yep, the waterfalls are there and they are quite nice. I will try to get some pics and will upload after the trip. It takes way to long to get them to upload on this satellite internet! But the adult pool area is very nice, between the new tables and chairs and the updated pool I think you can "feel" the difference between the kids section and the adult section. :goodvibes

OH Good! I really like to spend time in the pool and hot tubs at night. BTW is Arul still bartending at pool bar or in Quiet Cove? He was GREAT on our trip in 2006.

Thanks again for the update - Can't wait to see the pictures!

The water falls were there and they were great. Very relaxing! We hung out mostly in the evenings at the bar in quiet cove and our bartender was always Pio! But he was awsome!!
At beat street we had Resty and he was also very very good!:dance3:

Thanks for your report! We are sailing on Saturday, I am gobbling up your information. ;)

I have a question. Did they replace those horrible hairdryers in the state rooms? I can't stand the one that looks kind of like a vacuum cleaner. :lmao: I'll bring my own if they haven't.

TIA!

Thanks for your report! We are sailing on Saturday, I am gobbling up your information. ;)

I have a question. Did they replace those horrible hairdryers in the state rooms? I can't stand the one that looks kind of like a vacuum cleaner. :lmao: I'll bring my own if they haven't.

TIA!

No those didn't get upgraded! We brought our own! :thumbsup2

Joe the TV's do not have AV outlets (well not on the front). We did not look on the back.
I didn't like the channels either. They were 20.1, 20.2, etc. Complicated for the kiddos to figure. Plus we had baaad reception on the ABC, CNN, ESPN, channels, but that is the satellite and unavoidable I'm sure.

We had serious issues with our stateroom, and including sewage leaking for two weeks (yes it happened a week before we left and they had not fixed it by the end of the cruise, check my thread on the main board about room 6022 if you want the details on that.)

The new flat screen TV's were nice and Beat Street looked and smelled nice and new (wet paint smell) but we were honestly not impressed by the rest of the "upgrades". The splash zone is just like on the Wonder (some minor differences like the shape of the hat, etc.) but the Mickey pool was closed constantly so it was always packed full of big kids directing the spray of the fountains into the folks sitting at the tables nearby eating.:sad2: The Mickey Pool issues were mostly due to accidents, but the pool was closed the entire first day and some of the second day for some unspecified reason.
Quiet Cove lounges, there are only a few new padded ones and they have the blue padding, like on deck 4, not the thick brown padding like on the Wonder. Most of the lounges in this area, and all of them by the QC pool are still the old white plastic ones. The waterfalls are nice but imo the tile work does not look as nice as on the Wonder.

Stateroom, nothing has changed here except the TV. Still the same OLD bedspread. And our linens were not new either. No changes to the hairdryer, bring your own. Carpet in the staterroms was clean but not new. Ours had not been painted and had a few plaster spots on the walls where holes had been repaired but not repainted. None of the furniture or textiles in our room was new, nor was it in disrepair beyond normal wear and tear (a few scratches, etc.) Our toilet flush button kept getting stuck, we had to keep calling maintenance and we found that between our two staterooms air conditioning and the fridge temperature is inconsistent (one is hot and one is not, etc.)

We love the Magic and had a fabulous time, but most of the drydock work had to have been on the engines. Not much else was changed or improved. Animator's Palate appears to have no changes, either (there had been rumors this was getting overhauled in dry dock).

Hope that is helpful. She is still a beautiful ship!:thumbsup2

Joe the TV's do not have AV outlets (well not on the front). We did not look on the back.
I didn't like the channels either. They were 20.1, 20.2, etc. Complicated for the kiddos to figure. Plus we had baaad reception on the ABC, CNN, ESPN, channels, but that is the satellite and unavoidable I'm sure.

We had serious issues with our stateroom, and including sewage leaking for two weeks (yes it happened a week before we left and they had not fixed it by the end of the cruise, check my thread on the main board about room 6022 if you want the details on that.)

The new flat screen TV's were nice and Beat Street looked and smelled nice and new (wet paint smell) but we were honestly not impressed by the rest of the "upgrades". The splash zone is just like on the Wonder (some minor differences like the shape of the hat, etc.) but the Mickey pool was closed constantly so it was always packed full of big kids directing the spray of the fountains into the folks sitting at the tables nearby eating.:sad2: The Mickey Pool issues were mostly due to accidents, but the pool was closed the entire first day and some of the second day for some unspecified reason.
Quiet Cove lounges, there are only a few new padded ones and they have the blue padding, like on deck 4, not the thick brown padding like on the Wonder. Most of the lounges in this area, and all of them by the QC pool are still the old white plastic ones. The waterfalls are nice but imo the tile work does not look as nice as on the Wonder.

Stateroom, nothing has changed here except the TV. Still the same OLD bedspread. And our linens were not new either. No changes to the hairdryer, bring your own. Carpet in the staterroms was clean but not new. Ours had not been painted and had a few plaster spots on the walls where holes had been repaired but not repainted. None of the furniture or textiles in our room was new, nor was it in disrepair beyond normal wear and tear (a few scratches, etc.) Our toilet flush button kept getting stuck, we had to keep calling maintenance and we found that between our two staterooms air conditioning and the fridge temperature is inconsistent (one is hot and one is not, etc.)

We love the Magic and had a fabulous time, but most of the drydock work had to have been on the engines. Not much else was changed or improved. Animator's Palate appears to have no changes, either (there had been rumors this was getting overhauled in dry dock).

Hope that is helpful. She is still a beautiful ship!:thumbsup2

Thank you for answering my TV question. You also answered the question that I had about Animators.

IMO I think that DCL may be waiting to do the major stateroom overhauls as well the restaurants after the new ships are built and they can take their time with drydocks for the Magic and Wonder.

Sure they will fix stateroom issues on a as needed basis, but I believe when the Magic is next due for drydock, we will see many of the desired changes.

Joe

Thank you for answering my TV question. You also answered the question that I had about Animators.

IMO I think that DCL may be waiting to do the major stateroom overhauls as well the restaurants after the new ships are built and they can take their time with drydocks for the Magic and Wonder.

Sure they will fix stateroom issues on a as needed basis, but I believe when the Magic is next due for drydock, we will see many of the desired changes.

Joe
you know what Joe, I take that back, I think I lied!!:lmao:

Look at this pic I took. I know it is blurry but it sure does look like there is at least one A/V input (yellow) there: (sure didn't notice it while we were there!)
cruise261.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter