Just returned - the good and the bad from Univeral

BAST

DIS Veteran
We just returned from an 11 night trip (7 at WDW then 4 at Universal). I must say that, for the first time, Universal beat (or at least matched) WDW.

Here are some observations:

1) Universal costs are much lower than at WDW (and this is a good thing). I really liked the soda deal (buy the $6.99 cup (actually buy 2 get 1 free) and get $.79 refills all trip). Also, food was cheaper and generally better (first time I have ever said this) than at WDW.

2) Mama Della's at PBH is a great restaurant.

3) Forbidden Journey sets a new standard for theme park rides. Truly amazing. Also, the Harry Potter land is truly amazing - the theming is really great. It does need another ride but IOA is really improved by this attraction and area.

4) FOTL really makes the park experience much more enjoyable. No real need to run to the top attractions or collect Fastpasses. That said, Universal needs to better monitor the Express lines - especially later in the day some lines were as long if not longer than the regular lines.

5) RRR is a real debacle for Universal - a headline ride that breaks down alot (and for long stretches). For the three days were were in US at opening, it was not open. And, it closed for several hours each day. Rode it once and was not all that thrilled anyway.

6) Parks were crowded (August 6 to August 10) but manageable, especially with FOTL.

7) We stayed at PBH. Boat transportation worked well.

8) Early morning hour for HP for resort guests worked well one day, but not on another. We did Olivander's (just ok - I would not stand in line long for this) and tried to ride FJ, but it was broken down. Essentially, wasted an hour on one day. On the second day, I went into IOA by myself (kids wanted to sleep in). I rode FJ 4 times within 35 minutes (single rider line) and really was able to enjoy the ride.

9) PBH is a really nice hotel. Nice pool, nice rooms, and very quiet. Used an APH discount ($199 for one night, $179 for other 3 nights). I was not asked to show an AP at checkin.

LOL. I love your username. I call people "You Bast!" all the time. Short for....you know. :thumbsup2

Anyway, nice review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Always love hearing first-timers', or those who aren't regulars', opinions on UOR. Sometimes as an expert (!) I can often overlook the nitty gritty that only becomes noticeable to somebody who attends once every 10 years or so. :thumbsup2

Personally as a theme park fan, I still cannot get my head around how people still haven't ridden FJ yet. I came to Orlando from London for 4 nights in June 2010 on my own on the opening week of WWoHP just to ride FJ (59 times in 12 months so far lol) so that kind proves that I often have a slightly skewed view of all things IOA.

One thing can be certain: people are continue loving WWoHP for many years to come, whether it's your first time or a threepeat or whatever! :yay:

Rockit seemed to be working pretty well this past week. You can't miss the noisy thing when it's working particularly since we waited in line for TNA twice and it about drove me crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter