Just returned home from our annual ten day trip - here are my top 10 observations.

wijkowski

999 miles from the magic.
1. We stayed at the Polynesian for the first time. A very nice resort, but honestly not worth the price (we booked at 35% off the rack rate). I will post a detailed review of the Polynesian in the resorts board. We could have booked two vacations at a moderate for the price paid at the Polynesian.

2. Seems as though the on site food quality is improving. We did most meals on site and the food was better than years past. I will post details and photos in the restaurant board.

3. I posted it last year, and the same holds true this year - EPCOT needs a serious shot in the arm. A new country (or two) and maybe an Imagination pavilion refurb. It may also be time to re-think Innoventions, it is just not as good as years past. The SSE descent just pains me every time!

4. MNSSHP - We went in 2004 and again this year. The 2004 party was much more enjoyable. The lighting in 2004 was more "ominous" and better themed. In addition, the candy was "higher end" (full sized chocolate bars, etc.). We did see a few guests with incredible costumes. I still recommend it, but the price is climbing to a point of a "maybe" next time.

5. The merchandise selection is improving, but still not as good in years past. I like to purchase WDW pocket watches and every store in every park had the same three. In years past, there were several unique versions in each park.

6. Star Tours 2 was great. Would love to see more merchandise in Tatooine Traders.

7. The Haunted Mansion graveyard queue is nice. Would love to see a dedicated merchandise shop with expanded offerings. The cart outside was 80% Nightmare Before Christmas items.

8. The animals on safari were very active. We were able to see the "Tommies" at full speed. Seeing these animals at full speed cutting to the left and right is NOTHING like watching them on TV - it is an impressive sight.

9. Not a fan of the doors on the trams. I am sure the decision to install them had to be some sort of liability issue, so I can understand why they were installed.

10. Cast members seemed to be much "happier" and into their jobs than years past. Everyone we walked past, whether a popcorn cart attendant or Manager, greeted us with a happy tone and seemed to enjoy being a cast member.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ron

Thank you! I will look for your other reports on the resorts and restaurants boards! Glad you had a good time. How were the crowds/wait times?

Ps I agree with you, I wish they had more HM items!

Thank you for your observations. We'll be leaving tomorrow.

We will be going to MHSSHP and will have to reevaluate for next year. I do love chocolate...:)

I guess our vacations are more centered around the fact that we can enjoy our vacations in each other's company.

But, we appreciate your input and will use the information to think about our next trip. :)

I love #8!

We saw zebras running very fast one early evening from our balcony at AKL. It is a magical experience !

Great observations. I love the Poly but I agree for the $$$$ it's not worth it.

Yes, the descent on SSE makes me sad every time. It used to be my favorite attraction; now I don't really care if we ride it or not.

Thanks, full trip reports are fun, but I find a lot of these "quick hit" type posts after returning are often most helpful in planning my next trip.

I totally agree with the OP's on the Polynesian. It was a lifelong dream of mine to stay there (our "home" resort is POFQ) so for our anniversary trip we did a split stay - 4 days at each resort.

Bottom line- we both liked POFQ better! Although we enjoyed the theming and general atmosphere at the Poly, along with being on the monorail, it was in no way worth the almost double in cost for the room (yes, we had a discount too.) Poly buses were "meh" and mousekeeping was horrible - she rarely emptied trash cans and never restocked the coffee. Not to mention that the internet cable never worked, despite being replaced twice while we were there. The room was larger (but darker) than our room at POFQ, but with two people it really didn't make much of a difference.

Thank you! I will look for your other reports on the resorts and restaurants boards! Glad you had a good time. How were the crowds/wait times?

Ps I agree with you, I wish they had more HM items!

The crowds were actually heavier than I thought they would be considering it was September.

All restaurants were booked, so I am assuming the free dining was a driving force.

Ron

I totally agree with the OP's on the Polynesian. It was a lifelong dream of mine to stay there (our "home" resort is POFQ) so for our anniversary trip we did a split stay - 4 days at each resort.

Bottom line- we both liked POFQ better! Although we enjoyed the theming and general atmosphere at the Poly, along with being on the monorail, it was in no way worth the almost double in cost for the room (yes, we had a discount too.) Poly buses were "meh" and mousekeeping was horrible - she rarely emptied trash cans and never restocked the coffee. Not to mention that the internet cable never worked, despite being replaced twice while we were there. The room was larger (but darker) than our room at POFQ, but with two people it really didn't make much of a difference.

We love POFQ and consider it our "home" as well.

Ron

Welcome Back

Glad you liked the updated Star Tours and HM queue. Both are new since our last visit in July 2010. Can't wait only 49 days :banana:

Totally agree with Epcot needing something and the HM needs more merchandise than the NBC stuff..Maybe instead of Avatar land they can fix up some of Epcot and add stuff to DHS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter