Just returned from Rocky Mountain Sewing Festival!

MontanaCowgirl

I'm addicted to quilting & not ashamed to admit it
I just had some great fun & learning at the Rocky Mountain Sewing & Craft Festival in Billings Montana! What fun! I learned some new things & was reminded about some things we should all know!

Like: Keep your thread in a zip-loc baggie! especially metallic threads. They can become brittle & dried when exposed to the air.

Keep your water soluable stabilizers in zip-locs also! Lengthens their life considerably!

Do you embroider? Machine or hand embroidery should be stabilized properly. Simple rule of thumb... if the fabric has any stretch or give in it what-so-ever use cut-away stabilizer!!!! Stiff fabric with no give or stretch to it you can use tear away. This makes all the difference in the world!

Use polyester thread on anything going to be washed....it doesn't run when wet & is considerably stronger.

You can put heavier thread...even knitting yarn & crochet thread in your bobbin & draw with it! Just slightly loosen the screw (1/4 turn at a time)on the plate on your bobbin case till your thread/yarn slides easily out of the bobbin but not so loose so the bobbin falls off the thread. Tip: get a separate bobbin case just for this purpose so you have the one that came with your machine for your everyday sewing! Remember you are sewing upside down. I'll be glad to go into this in further detail for anyone interested.

I learned a fantastic & easy way to sew the binding on your quilted items completely by machine & you can't see a stitch!!! Will be happy to offer an online class once I get pictures put together if any of you would like to know how this is done! I will never hand sew another binding again!!!

Had a fun mosaic tile class, a free motion quilting class, a long arm machine quilting class, a rug braiding class & a curved piecing quilting class! I had soooo much fun!

Naturally I will be happy to help anyone! I only have a short time until I go camping with my favorite mouse! Oh yes...hubby is coming too! :teeth: So I won't do the picture thing till I get back unless I can squeeze it into my time slot I have left. But as it looks now that isn't to likely. I will try though!

:wave:

sounds neat but way over my head! LOL! I don't really sew much, will make a few costumes for the kids....maybe a pillow but that is about it!
But I am sure this will help someone!

But do tell more about the mosaic class I really want to try that. I keep thinking my bathroom sink area would look great with some funky tile!

The mosaic class was fun! You got to smash plates & take out your frustrations!:teeth:

You can use rocks, pieces of pretty plates whatever you want as long as it has a flat surface to glue to the top of whatever you want to tile. We used ordinary Tacky glue & glued down all our tiles & plate pieces, & also some flat bottomed rocks that were real pretty. Be generous with your glue!!! We had to wait until the glue dried before we grouted it, so she just gave us the instructions on how to do that & a bag of grouting mix which you can get at any craft store or hardware store. Don't worry about getting the glue on top of your design pieces...it will come off with the grouting process. Lay out your design without glue first to see how you like it then glue them all down after you are sure that's the way you want it...or you can just wing it!

Also at the craft store you can get colored grout or white grout & color it yourself (do not use paint to color your grout...I used powdered food coloring). Be sure to read the instructions on the package. If you use a mirror like we did in the project be sure to cover the mirror with a sheet of clear contact sticky paper. Be sure it does NOT go beyond the edges of the mirror or you will have a hard time getting it off the mirror. This will prevent the grout from scratching your mirror.

You mix your grout so that it's the consistency of muffin batter but no lumps. Now put on plastic/rubber gloves! The grout stains your hands & it will last for days! Then spread it all over your design covering all the spaces between all your stones, tiles, etc. Don't worry about covering the stones as they will wipe clean when you remove your grout. The grout should dry to a chalky grey color if it is black grout...fairly dry to the touch. (If it is wiping away leaving a highly textured surface it is still to wet...it should wipe away leaving the grout fairly smooth.) Then using a damp, but not soaked sponge, wipe back the grout revealing your design. Then voila`! You have a mosaic design! It's very easy & lots of fun! Even the kids can help with the pieces that don't have sharp edges! Have fun!

Thanks for the sewing tips! I made grocery cart seat cushions for DS's when they were babies, and half way through the project I read something that told me this was an advanced quilting technique called biscuit quilting, and I thought eek! I can't do this!until I realized I already was. They turned out great and I have been wanting to try quilting a "real" quilt ever since. I would like to see how you did the binding once you are ready. Have fun at Disney1:wave:

Since you quilt, do you know how to make a quilted photo album without sewing? Or do you know where I can find out how to do it? Thanks:wave2:

Frazier I believe you can get a "How-to" booklet from Plaid.com or any Michael's or Ben Franklin Crafts store. They take a little practice to get the window right but they are fairly easy to do. But then again they are just a little to involved for me to explain here without illustrations.

Twigs the bisquits are one of my favorites to use for baby quilts. They come out so soft & fluffy! I never thought of them as anything more than a beginner pattern though. Try them in soft flannels for a lap quilt! Soooo snuggly!

Happy quilting everyone!

we have something(s)in common...first, will be with the Mouse at the same time as you are, I love to quilt, and would really like to learn the quilt binding method from you, and I was an adult "learner", went back 8 years ago to get my nurse practitioner certification...Only thing is that school demands alot of time, and it's hard to feed the quilting and Disboard addictions!!! Will be looking for your lime green! MaryAunt:wave2:

We are leaving here on Nov 3rd & won't actually arrive until the 10th. We are staying in the campground till the 21st! I can't wait to get there!

I'm going back to college next June! I've been accepted to the Western Culinary Institute in Portland,OR! My classes at college will run from 7AM till noon! I'll have the rest of the day to quilt! I AM bringing my machine & several kits I'm making up ahead of time! I figure by the time 9 months of school is over with I should have lots of quilt tops to sandwhich & quilt! I'll also be able to share lots of baking tips with you all when I get finished too! I'm looking into a wireless ISP while I'm at school so I can keep coming here too!

Montana cowgirl,
Thanks for the info, I will try that. Enjoy your trip. I am going to WDW for the first time ever Nov 22-29 and can't wait to get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter