• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Returned From POFQ

billylen

Mouseketeer
Well...just returned from our trip to POFQ and the World! It was an interesting trip and I will share some of the highlights (and lowlights) of our adventure...

Tis was a trip for the boys, me and two 17-year old and 1 18-year old boys. My son will be a senior as well as his two buddies. I wanted to do a big trip next year, but I started thinking that after he graduates next year he may have other plans...

I booked my trip through AAA> I usually book all trips through the internet or on my own, but gave AAA a try because I wanted two rooms and they actually offered the best rate for the type of package I wanted.

The Lowlights

When we arrived at the resort The reservations were screwed up. Let me say up front that part of this is how the trip was booked through AAA. In some respects Disney's mouse hands were tied. The kids were shown in my room and one of the kids (the 18 year old) was in a room alone. Add to that I requested connesting rooms, but was given adjacent rooms. At frist we were in different levels, but was able to get them to change it to righ around the corner.

An additional problem we had was in order for the kids to have proper access we would have had to play a key game, meaning that one of us would have had to use anothers keys so everyone could be where they needed to be. I did not like the idea of playing that game especially if one of us had to prove who we were. It just did not feel right, but the CM said he could not provide any other solution. I was not happy but kept my cool. Then it dawn on me to ask if we could have an extra key for each room. That way we could have an extra key each and work around the system. Sounds confusing I know, but what else could I do?

When we made it to the room I encountered another surprise...they were SMOKING ROOMS! MAN o MAN! You could smell the stench the second you opened the door. Mind you I am a former smoker and if you choose to do it fine, but I never could smoke in my house and especially where I sleep! was no happy, but I had to live with it until I could reach the rep at AAA to try to work it out.

The next day (to make a long story short) I reached the AAA rep he in turn contacted Disney and after two nights in the smoking room we were moved to connecting rooms. and they were non smoking! YESSS!

We had one other problem (then I will move to the more positive experiences of our trip...Once the rooms were reassigned the dinign plan was screwed up...meaning that we did nto have combined meal creditis. I had some and the other room had some. I learned pretty quick that I had to keep track of who paid for what and also what was left on each. I do nto blame Diseny for this. It was the way the trip was booked. Now with that said would I use a service like AAA again? Maybe if the price was right, but I now know to pay closer attention to how the trip is booked...

ok enough griping...

Port Orleans French Quarter

I read a lot about this resort on this board before the trip. I have stayed at a few of the properties. I think the last time was the Contemporary.Concierge. (which was great) I also have stayed at one other moderate, Coronado Springs. I was not sure how I would like the theme of POFQ. Here is my take on the "joint"... I LOVED IT! It was laid back yes, but there is a charm about it that I really liked. I also liked the river. I liked the trees (they were cuting some down as we left today.hmmmm) I liked the streets the room was nice and the A/C worked like nobody's business...You could hang meat in there! I loved strolling along the banks in the evening. Sometimes I would sit on the bench and watch the boats go by. I like a lot of activity, but there was something about that place that I liked a lot. In fact I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

The CM's were hit or miss...Most were just fine, but if you got one that was not up to snuff that was a bad time... I give the CM's an overall grade of "B". They could easily get an "A" if they change a few things. (very minor stuff)

My room was clean and housekeeping did a good job (no towel animals). I tipped daily (both rooms...even the smoking ones)

I walked to Port Orlaens a couple of times. It was a nice looking resort. I did nto walk to the side where the rooms were only to the main building and food court. Some have reported that the walk is 15 minutes. I found it to be about 10, but I am a tall guy with no young kids so that may have made the difference.

Disney Dining

We did the meal plan ( sorry the name is escapng me at the moment) The one with 1 snack, Table Service & Counter Service. My take on it is that it is worth the money. It is a lot of food. So choose wisely. Three of us can power down food, the other eats like a bird (he will probably live to be 300 years old). By the end of the week we had enough food. I will have to do a food detox to get rid of the cravings I have developed after the week. Let's see...the food highlights... Le Cellier, (WOW!) found that by accident...Got a reservation by accident too. It was late and we were starved, but it was worth the wait! I hughly recommend it (I hope you get "Char" as a server...she was fantastic!) Great food! I also used the dinign experience to teach the "boys" that there are other was to eat other than using your feet! Hmmm. Boma! WOW! Went there for dinner and folks on this board mentioned that some of the dishes were daring, and some were a little (coconut chicken soup delicious) curry in several dishes, but you know what? It was a wonderful dining experience. I also got the see the Animal Kingdom resort. WOW! What a lobby...(maybe next trip?) I can only imagine what the rooms must look like. Boma was so good that We went there again for breakfast before we left today. Again, it was great! We also did the Crystal Palace. good...My only waste was the Hollywood & Vine Diner. What a waste of a table service! (just my opinion, ok? Please don't hunt me down... :teeth: ) The food had no imagination at all. I realize it is designed to be all american faire, but give me a break! All of the counter service meals were fine. They were what the were...

The Parks

Went to all the parks. All were fine. It was hot a humid. My son and I have visited many times. One of the kids (we are from California) had a little trouble adjusting, but after a couple of days he was ok. I will mention one park specifically...Animal Kingdom. I visited that park when it first opened. I was not impressed. It was just ok. I was encouraged by members of this board to give it another try..so we did. I went twice. I noticed a couple of things. One it has grown out a lot. Meaning the plants are taking shape. I liked the par. I think it still need work. I can think of a couple of things they could do but it is growing nicely, but it is still lacking. I believe there is a lot of hope for this park and I have not given up on it yet. I look forward to going again.

Last Note

I have to admit that I did something for the first time. I went to "La Nouba". I have wanted to go before and I have seen many of the Cirque Shows, but for one reason or another I had not made it. Well, this time I made reservations and paid for the tickets so I would be locked in. My son is a musician and fell in love with one of the pieces that someone had given him to play on sax. When We saw the show all I can say is FANTASTIC! what a great "friggin" show! (can I use that word here?) I mean it was just supe from beginning to end. WORTH EVER DIME! I brought my customary magnet and the CD for my son. Yes, it was a great show!

I could go on and on, but I will say we had a good time. I would recommend POFQ and the meal plan to anyone, and Le Ceillier, BOMA and La Nouba to everyone!

Great report! I agree with you about POFQ...we really like it there. You said you have previously stayed at Coronado Springs? Which did you like better? We're thinking of CS next time so I was just wondering. Thanks!!

Great report. Glad to hear you enjoyed French Quarter. :)

Cinerama said:
Great report! I agree with you about POFQ...we really like it there. You said you have previously stayed at Coronado Springs? Which did you like better? We're thinking of CS next time so I was just wondering. Thanks!!

I would say it depends on yor taste. CS has a great pool area and the Pepper Market (food court) was neat (although I stopped by on this last trip and the lines were very long...but it was lunch time) Also POFQ is a much smaller resort. So it is a toss up...One other thing about CS is it has more color because of the theme. Either way you will be fine.

Great review! Thanks! We're going to POFQ in September, last year we were at Caribbean Beach (which I liked too), so I'm very much looking forward to trying a different resort. I too booked through AAA and just double checked my resi because I wanted a non-smoking room too! I hope that's not screwed up on mine!!
Thanks again & welcome home!
One question...re: Le Cellier...you said you got reservations by accident...did you book those before you left for your trip, or while you were there? I'd like to try it when we are there.

Magical JenK said:
One question...re: Le Cellier...you said you got reservations by accident...did you book those before you left for your trip, or while you were there? I'd like to try it when we are there.

Well, we were going to do Hoop de Doo, but when we arrived I realized that he kids may have thought it was tyoo corny, so I was looking for something to do with the dinner credits. We went to BOMA for breakfast one additional time and I was talking to the concirege and she mentione Le Ceillier. I had read about it, but it did not really register...When the Concierge recommended it she looked for a reservation but it was all booked up except for an 8:40 reservation that same night. I knew that would be pretty late for us but I took it (and I am so glad i did!) and was hoping to maybe get in a little early. We did not get in early and it was interesting to watch those who did not have reservations try to get in...most accepted the no seating available ( we waited for a little over an hour) to some who tried charm, begging, and maybe even a little attitude...but they did not budge...they were booked solid.

We were seated at about 8:43 and we left at about 10. The park was closed and there were about 6 families left eating...How neat to walk out of the park when they are getting the stragglers (probably other late diners from different restaurants) out of the park.

I say all of that to tell you that it was because of the concierge recommendation that we went to LC. and it was by luck that there was a reservation available...

The moral of the story?

MAKE A RESERVATION WELL IN ADVANCE...I think they were actually booked the rest of the week we were there!

huppfamily said:
Thanks for the great review. Nice to see a neighbor from Monrovia on the boards.

Yes, but it feels like I brought the humidity back with me...

What a great review of my favorite resort. We are planning our third trip in just as many years back to WDW and we are staying at POFQ AGAIN.... We loved our stay there in February. Even got my in-laws (m-i-l. f-i-l, b-i-l, s-i-l and niece) to join us there in February 2006.

Do you remember whic building you stayed in (which #)? Did you have a wtaer view or a courtyard view? Our water view last year was just a view of the pool. We are requesting a courtyard view this year and was curious if you were happy with it.

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Great report. I am with you on Hollywood and Vine. Although in all fairness it was so hot out the day we went (we are from Colorado and cannot handle humidity too well) we probably just didn't have much appetite! Glad to hear you liked POFQ, we are staying there in December and can't wait. Welcome home!

Drizzo67 said:
Do you remember whic building you stayed in (which #)? Did you have a wtaer view or a courtyard view? Our water view last year was just a view of the pool. We are requesting a courtyard view this year and was curious if you were happy with it.

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

The first couple of nights we were in building 2. I do not know if the entire building is smoking or not, but our rooms were. The "kids" had a water view and I had a courtyard view. When we moved we were in building 6 (6133 & 6134) Connecting rooms both with water view. Here is my thought. It did not really matter. I did like being on the ground floor. I did not notice any noise to speak of. The reason I say it did not matter which view is because we did not spend a lot of time in the room and I did not spend a lot of time looking out the window. We went outside for that. Perhaps if you have a water view and you are on the 2nd or 3rd floor it would make a difference.

One final note. The courtyards on the buildings 1-3 side were more lush. All of the areas were nice, but the courtyards were more open and not as lush on the buildings 5-7 side, but again the entire resort had a charm that I liked.

As long as the room was non smoking I would have been happy.

Hope this helps

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter