Just Returned From Our First POLY/WDW Resort Stay!!!

Maukey

Mouseketeer
I'm not really good at writing detailed reviews, so I've decided to just do a list of points, likes, dislikes, discoveries, etc. that I experienced throughout our trip. These points will be bulleted by a + or - which indicate a positive or a negative. I've frequented these boards for quite some time in preparation for this trip. I've read and seen a lot that has inspired me to write this. Alright, lets get started.

+ Lets get this out of the way from the get go, the POLY is simply AMAZING and deserves ALL of the LOVE that it gets. It was an experience for my family that I can't put into words. The smells, exotic plants, views, MK sounds and sights, food, friendly staff, large rooms, monorail convenience, etc. Pictures don't do this resort justice. DO NOT base your decision to stay here on pictures.

+ We stayed in Tokelau Room 1916 on the beach end of the longhouse facing Tahiti. Tokelau definitely has the best Garden/Standard Views on disney property in my opinion. We had a view of the lagoon and CR from our room, and once we stepped out onto our patio, there was the Castle and GF without the MK View price! Loved It.

+ Tonga Toast and Lapu Lapu are a MUST!

+ Alright I'm going to say this is a positive for those planning to stay here, but a negative to comments I've read. Regardless of what people tell you, the walk from Tahiti to the GCH is NOT 5 mins unless you are walking slowly. Please don't get offended, but you have to remember that people come in all different sizes, ages, and physical abilities. Some walk slower than others. It took my family 5 mins to walk from the TTC to the GCH, give or take a few seconds. We stayed in Tokelau and it took us about 2 1/2 mins to get to the GCH. Tahiti is right next to Tokelau.

+ The Monorail is by far the BEST form of transportation on Disney property. It's NOT overrated as some believe, and the boats from WL, Poly, and the CR are not quicker. They can be more relaxing when it's cooler, but NOT quicker. The monorail is of unbelievable value if you're dealing with small children and strollers, my 2 year old LOVED it. We rode up front as co-pilots for 2 hours one day when it was slow and my 2 year old still didn't want to get off. By far his favorite.

- Unfortunately we had bad bus experiences. One time we waited for a bus from HS to Epcot for 30 mins only to be moved to another bus because the driver made a mistake. We also waited about 20 mins for a bus from the Poly to HS.

+ My dream was always to stay at the CR with a MK View. We booked the Poly because the CR was unavailable for our dates. I was at first skeptical because of the photos I'd seen, WL and the CR are VERY photo friendly resorts. After spending some time at the CR, I'm so glad I went with the Poly. The CR is too "business like" for our taste. And when we ate at the Calif. Grill, while the MK View is nice, my family actually preferred the MK View from the Poly beach. They loved looking across the water rather than over a parking lot. Shocked me.

- We didn't care for the GF at all.

+ After spending some time at the WL, we would only want to stay there at Christmas time. We can see how it would be a perfect theme for christmas. We loved Whispering Canyon too! We wouldn't prefer it any other time though.

*** This next statement is a curveball and is going to shock many of you. Trust me, it was a shock to my family as well. Our favorite WDW Resort was actually the ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE :eek:! I know, I know, I just gave the Poly all this love, and all of it is deserved and true. But on our next to last day when we walked into the AKL Lobby on our way to Bomas, our breath was completely taken away. The lobby is breathtaking. The theming with everything from the firepit to the Savannah Views was just perfect. The only things we give the Poly the edge on are the lagoon for water sports, transportation, and restaurants. Some say the bigger rooms, but when we viewed the room with bunkbeds, the bunkbeds negated the room size difference a little. We just loved the theming, decor, and atmosphere of the AKL, and not to mention that it shakes hands with our favorite disney park, the AK. Don't get me wrong, we're not saying the AKL is hands down the best, and we still prefer the Poly with small children, but my family will definitely be seeing a ton of the AKL when my 2 year old is a little older.

In summary, our trip was almost perfect with the exception of the bad bus experiences. No sick children, suprising rashes, bed bugs, swine flu, filthy rooms, rude cms, and every other horrible thing people worry about before traveling to WDW. Again I stress, don't allow pictures on these boards and other disney sites to influence your decision of where to stay. We were in love with the WL and CR based on the pictures we had seen, but actually found that the Poly and AKL were more beautiful resorts to us.

WDW is just unbelievable in every way. I'm already planning a return trip with my best friend (No wife and kids) sometime in 2010. I got a funny feeling we'll be staying at the AKL;)

Thanks for the review--- I am soon to be a Poly convert (a WL gal originally)... was the bus issue to DHS the norm or just one bad experience? ALso, I have a ds 12 who will be with me next month- any tips as you had a teen/tween with you??
thanks Jill

Thanks for the great mini review! Adn i'm SO glad your first WDW experience was a great one!

I totally agree that I don't understand when people don't LOVE Animal kingdom lodge.
I get that there's only bus transport and if u must have a boat/monorail then i guess it's not for you- but it is DEF one of my favorite resorts. I've stayed there twice- and you won't regret it!
I've been to disney a gazillion times but have sadly never had a Poly experience :-( I'm hoping to on our next, next trip. This next one will be at FW cabins which i'm looking very forward to b/c we've never done b4 and i'll have a newborn and need the separate bedroom/living space so the baby doesnt constantly wake up the other kids :-)

But thanks for the info!

Thanks for the review--- I am soon to be a Poly convert (a WL gal originally)... was the bus issue to DHS the norm or just one bad experience? ALso, I have a ds 12 who will be with me next month- any tips as you had a teen/tween with you??
thanks Jill
I'm not gonna say it's the norm, we went to DHS only once as we spent most of our time at MK and Epcot.

I really don't have any advice as far as tweens go, fortunately we have one that's easy to please. Just let him know in advance your plans so he's prepared. I.e., how much time you all will spend at the parks, pool, etc.

Thanks for the review! Reading it is making me even more excited for our split stay next month. We will be at the Poly and then AKL!

Thanks for the review! We loved the Poly too and I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay there. :goodvibes

Glad you had such a good trip! :)

This report has me so pumped for our upcoming stay at the Poly! Happy to hear you had such a positive experience!!! :banana:

Thanks for sharing your Poly experiences, glad you enjoyed it! After a long absence from the Poly, we stayed there last September and fell in love with it all over again. Staying there was like two vacations in one - the Disney experience at all the parks, but then coming back to a relaxing, tropical paradise at the end of the day.

We also thought AKL was beautiful, but we're spoiled by the monorails ;)

We were going to do our bounceback at CR MK view like we did two years ago, but switched back to the Poly after dreaming of Pina Colavas on the beach :cloud9:

I agree about the MK view at the CR. We stayed there a few years ago and while the view and fireworks from the room were nice, looking over the parking lot was so-so. The booms from the fireworks actually made a couple car alarms go off. (a little distracting LOL)

that was a great review. our dream is to stay at the Poly and AKL. we have a big anniv. coming up in a few years so i should start saving now. unless we hit the lottery. but we cant wait to stay at the poly. we have only stayed at all star music and movies many many times. all those trips were great . we always have nice rooms, nice cm., etc .

Glad you had such a wonderful trip. I still have 5 months to go. We stayed at Poly last year and loved it. We were in Rapa Nui . The closeness to TTC was great for us. As you can tell by my signature, we like to try a different resort each trip. Poly is one we will be going back to (after we , hopefully, stay at least once in all of them). We also liked AKL. Our only complaint was the long distance from our room to the lobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter