Just returned from Mother's Day Cruise on Wonder -- they stole things off our doors!

On our cruise in February, we had two adjoining rooms on deck 2. My daughter had taken the time to cut out about 20 Mickey heads from the paint samples at Home Depot. She applied magnets to the backs and arranged them on each of the doors when we arrived. By the second night, our magnets started "disappearing". At first, I was a little disappointed in our fellow cruisers, but we made a game of searching for our "kidnapped" Mickey's. We were able to find most of them, applied to other doors on the same deck. We just took the liberty of rescuing them :) and putting them back on our door.

Its sad to hear about a wheelchair being taken.. Where are the PARENTS?? I had my brand new BERKENSTOCK SANDELS taken right off the deck while I was in the pool..Sadly.. I only had those and a pair of dressy sandels with me since I wear my BERKIES everywhere.. I complained to the front desk immediately and asked them to give me a coupon or something for a pair of sandels from MICKEYS MATES.. I got nothing.. I was so upset.. someone from a DCL actually stole from someone.. :furious:
We will see what happens this AUGUST when I go again..

Reenie...

disneycrazzzy said:
When we went on the 14-day repo cruise last August . . . I didn't make signs per se, but I cut out a couple hundred mickeys and smiley faces and peace signs and many, many nautical letters of the alphabet. We spent the whole cruise re-arranging and spelling names and all kinds of fun stuff. On the last day or two, I arranged some of the letters to let everybody know that they could take whichever ones they wanted.

I remember your sign, and it was a big hit! If there was a contest, it would have won an award.

But I wonder if encouraging people to take things from your door starts unintended behavior as to other doors.

Some of our friends on the same cruise were very disappointed (especially their young daughter) when things were taken from their door. There was nothing the parents could do to comfort their daughter after her favorite characters were stolen.

Woody

woody73 said:
I remember your sign, and it was a big hit! If there was a contest, it would have won an award.

But I wonder if encouraging people to take things from your door starts unintended behavior as to other doors.

Some of our friends on the same cruise were very disappointed (especially their young daughter) when things were taken from their door. There was nothing the parents could do to comfort their daughter after her favorite characters were stolen.

Woody

JMO of course, but no I don't think one person giving permission to take their magnets could be construed in any way as an open invitation to wander the halls and take magnets indescriminately from any door.

I'm guessing folks who would take magnets off someone else's door don't need any one to suggest the idea.

I think it was a fun gesture on disneycrazzzy's part. :thumbsup2

Ours made it without being taken, moved, or rearranged.
I did have some type of personalization on all of them and I did take them down before we went to bed that last night since I'd read here that a lot of the magnet mischief takes place then.

Maybe next cruise I'll make some generic ones to give to other people. We had a couple of little ones down the hallway from us who loved to stop and admire our magnets. It would have been fun to give them a couple for their door.

:bounce: We were on the Mothers Day cruise too! My door was decorated from top to bottom. I had a sign with my dis name, all our names and cut outs from clearanced birthday decorations, ribbons, and all kinds of disney magnets. Nothing of ours was moved or missing. However, we were at the very end of the hall, "aft" and unless you were going there, we didn't have a lot of traffic. I didn't see a lot of doors that were decorated, but I'm sorry that yours were tampered with. I would have been upset too after all the work I did to get it ready. :confused3

on our cruise our signs were removed, but we never knew our steward mentioned it to us and then just told us not to worry he would keep an eye on everything! it was fabulous!

Meresandwillsmom, I'm sorry I missed your door -- it sounds great! :)

I think it helps to have "out-of-the-way" rooms. We were in a hidden porthole room on 5 this time and there were only a few doors right near us. Our signs stayed -- but our cute magnet was gone. My folks, who had the sign taken, were on deck 2 and right in the middle of a whole line of rooms. People walked past their door all the time. We were on deck 2 on our first cruise, near DH's sister's room. I think their sign was moved, but found further down the hall.

How awful to have shoes taken! You wouldn't expect that if you left them by the pool!!!! I'm glad no one took my crocs! I would have been lost without them. :goodvibes

We were on the same cruise. Deck 5, aft.

I had a strange feeling that might happen to us. Just memories of college and how we all had decorated doors and the decorations ended up...well... everywhere! All over campus. Sometimes at other campuses. Sometimes at White Castle.

We had the opposite problem. People left us notes under our door sign magnets.

"Great door!"
"Hope you are having a wonderful cruise!"
"Did you enjoy Castaway?"
"Thanks for the gorgeous door that we pass daily."

Each day we'd find hellos from people. I kept them for the scrapbook.

One day a line of kids from the club passed by with counselors by their sides. The kids ooohed and ahhhed over our door. Some reached out to grab magnets. The counselors told them no, to put them back.

So maybe it was a child who didn't know better and grabbed the magnets in passing.

Or one of the many drunk adults. We certainly had a lot of party-goers on that cruise. Lots of nuttiness in Nassau, especially!

To the person who wrote about the garden gnomes that went traveling around...

Myself and friends did that once. The guys had swiped a little Dutch Boy and his Dutch Girlfriend from a lady's yard. When we gals found out about it, we made them take the statutes back. But we had them leave a note. It said something like, "We're sorry we left you. We had a craving for a Slurpee. So we went down the street to 7-11. It took a long time because our feet do not move independently. Here, we brought you some treats." And we left her a bag filled with candy.

A week later we drove by and the statues were gone from her yard. For good. That lady gathered up everything from her yard and took it all inside or got rid of it.

I would have framed the sign and displayed it in my yard, too.

Some people just don't "get it."

I cannot stop posting in this thread. HELP ME!

I had a magnetic notepad on the door with a ribbon and a Sharpie attached. On the notepad it said, "Please do not take our notepad or you will be forever haunted by the ghost of Walt Disney."

My husband argued that some people might like that.

I told him that no one wants to be haunted, not even by a clever man like Mr. Disney.

MY DOOR SIGNS WERE STOLEN ON MY WONDER CRUISE DURING THE LIFEBOAT DRILL !!! They lasted about 1/2 hour on the door. And yes, they were personalized. Go figure!

I made a sign yesterday to put on our door. It is black and white and has Mickey on it! It says:

''Please Be considerate. Don't take our artwork! Our child worked hard to make this cruise magical! Thank you!''

Hopefully that does the trick! :confused3

Some people take the theft with a grain of salt, but my personlaity won't allow me to rest easy until the culprits were found! :stir: I would use the qualities that make Columbo, Matlock and Perry Mason the great investigators they are!!! :rotfl2: No stone would be unturned!! Believe it or not, I am so high strung that an incident like this could ruin my vacation not to mention how my son would feel if what he made were to diappear!! :guilty:
I think I will remove the door signs also when we go to bed.......just in case!
By the way, my son is working on a CARS themed door! Can't wait! :banana:

I'll let you know! :listen:

vlf32 said:
I made a sign yesterday to put on our door. It is black and white and has Mickey on it! It says:

''Please Be considerate. Don't take our artwork! Our child worked hard to make this cruise magical! Thank you!''

Hopefully that does the trick! :confused3

Some people take the theft with a grain of salt, but my personlaity won't allow me to rest easy until the culprits were found! :stir: I would use the qualities that make Columbo, Matlock and Perry Mason the great investigators they are!!! :rotfl2: No stone would be unturned!! Believe it or not, I am so high strung that an incident like this could ruin my vacation not to mention how my son would feel if what he made were to diappear!! :guilty:
I think I will remove the door signs also when we go to bed.......just in case!
By the way, my son is working on a CARS themed door! Can't wait! :banana:

I'll let you know! :listen:

Look forward to seeing your door sign creations. When you are ready to post, post your pics of your creations on this thread. There's also instruction on how to post your pictures. Magnetic door thread link here

I would like to make a door sign but since we are in 2618 right off the aft elevators I figure they would be gone in no time. :sad2: You can see our stateroom from the elevator lobby so lots of people would see it.

DS had his Nemo float stolen on CC and he was so upset. He just didn't understand why someone would take it and he didn't understand why we couldn't make them give it back. I hated for him to have to learn that lesson on our cruise. :( I know he would be upset if our signs were stolen and I could not replace them like I could the Nemo float.

kaykels said:
MY DOOR SIGNS WERE STOLEN ON MY WONDER CRUISE DURING THE LIFEBOAT DRILL !!! They lasted about 1/2 hour on the door. And yes, they were personalized. Go figure!

How awful! I hope it did not put a damper on the rest of your cruise.

Woody

I can't think of any DISNEY movie where characters talk about stealing at the moment. Can you? It would be kinda cute if you could find quotes from a movie(s) and add that character.

I still like what MB Minniegirl said, "BIG Mouse and Pirate Captain with a mean and nasty Hook!" (post #32).
ETA: I just saw this on yahoo: Your stealing...Its best not to mess with karma. :rotfl:

becka said:
I would like to make a door sign but since we are in 2618 right off the aft elevators I figure they would be gone in no time. :sad2: You can see our stateroom from the elevator lobby so lots of people would see it.

DS had his Nemo float stolen on CC and he was so upset. He just didn't understand why someone would take it and he didn't understand why we couldn't make them give it back. I hated for him to have to learn that lesson on our cruise. :( I know he would be upset if our signs were stolen and I could not replace them like I could the Nemo float.

You could say, If you're thinking about taking my signs, please smile for the cameras. Or, I hope you have the same last name as me, something like that. :stir:

Just had a reverse psychology sort of thought here:

What if you made a sign that invited all passerby to sign it? Hang a sharpie from the door, get a big laminated posterboard, and make it BIG so it's really hard to just slip off with it unnoticed, put a ton of magnets on the back, and put on there an invitation for people to "Add some Disney Magic".

Keep your fingers crossed that everyone keeps it PG Disney magic. Maybe they'll be so entranced by the big sign that invites them to participate on your door :artist: that they'll leave your other magnets alone...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter