• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just returned from Alaska 6/3-6/10 ... AMAZING

OrcaPotter

Lucky to be local to the Mouse
If you are on the fence about going to Alaska ... get down off that fence and just go! It is absolutely the most amazing place on Earth. I never wanted to close my eyes in case I missed anything, because every moment the views were spectacular! Everyone needs to go there at least once; I know I'm never taking it off my bucket list because I want to go back!

I'm also glad I went with Disney. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to go again, they'll offer different ports and Glacier Bay. I plan to write a trip report once I have photos sorted and uploaded, but am willing to answer any questions here if you have any and are sailing soon.

This sounds sooo cool! How did you go with Disney? Is it a cruise? Can kids of all ages go or is it in their adventure line where you must be older? This just may be the next "big" trip!

This sounds sooo cool! How did you go with Disney? Is it a cruise? Can kids of all ages go or is it in their adventure line where you must be older? This just may be the next "big" trip!

Yes, it's on the Disney Wonder for 7 nights. Leaves out of Vancouver, goes to Tracy Arm Fjord, stops at Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Kids of all ages can go, but I would strongly recommend waiting until children are at least 6 years old so they can appreciate everything more. It's a major trip for anyone and I can't imagine how stressful it would be for folks with young kids and babies. I saw plenty of them, though, and I don't think the adults got to see much as result. Personally, I wouldn't do a cruise or anything with a baby or toddler; much less a cross-country trip involving customs and immigration.

Yes, it's on the Disney Wonder for 7 nights. Leaves out of Vancouver, goes to Tracy Arm Fjord, stops at Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Kids of all ages can go, but I would strongly recommend waiting until children are at least 6 years old so they can appreciate everything more. It's a major trip for anyone and I can't imagine how stressful it would be for folks with young kids and babies. I saw plenty of them, though, and I don't think the adults got to see much as result. Personally, I wouldn't do a cruise or anything with a baby or toddler; much less a cross-country trip involving customs and immigration.

Awesome, thanks! I think if we start planning & saving now, they will be older by that time! :)

If you are on the fence about going to Alaska ... get down off that fence and just go! It is absolutely the most amazing place on Earth. I never wanted to close my eyes in case I missed anything, because every moment the views were spectacular! Everyone needs to go there at least once; I know I'm never taking it off my bucket list because I want to go back!

I'm also glad I went with Disney. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to go again, they'll offer different ports and Glacier Bay. I plan to write a trip report once I have photos sorted and uploaded, but am willing to answer any questions here if you have any and are sailing soon.

My co worker was on this cruise!! She loved it!! She already wants to go back to Alaska next year. :)

I love reading posts like this. :cool1: We have this cruise booked for August 2014 (with an extra couple of days in Seattle and then the Amtrak Coast Starlight back to LA). I am so excited to see Alaska.

This is one cruise where I don't anticipate my kids hanging out in the clubs much. I have a feeling we will be doing a lot of scenery watching together. :thumbsup2

Adventures by Disney also does a trip to Alaska. I've done it, and it is absolutely AMAZING. You get to see more of inland Alaska (Such as Denali National Park and the Kenai Penninsula). I *HIGHLY* recommend it! (You can check out my Trip Report - link in my Signature - if you want to know more about it.)

Sayhello

I have been waiting for some current Alaska trip reports, so I am more than excited to know that there is one coming up. We are on next May's 9 nighter. Hope you get those pictures sorted soon. :goodvibes

I love reading posts like this. :cool1: We have this cruise booked for August 2014 (with an extra couple of days in Seattle and then the Amtrak Coast Starlight back to LA). I am so excited to see Alaska.

This is one cruise where I don't anticipate my kids hanging out in the clubs much. I have a feeling we will be doing a lot of scenery watching together. :thumbsup2

Whoa. Haven't heard about this train before. What's the deal? I'm thinking of doing California and Alaska in 2015 and I was trying to figure out how to get back and forth from LA. This sounds awesome. We love the Auto train. Is this similar, but with no autos?

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Another going next year and looking forward to reading your trip report.

No pressure;)

Glad you enjoyed it and said it was amazing:yay:

Glad that you had a wonderful time. This is exciting! Hope DCL will go to Alaska in 2015. Will book a dummy cruise in August. Thanks for sharing your experience!!

I second this! We cruised to Alaska last year in late August on the Wonder. It was one of our best vacations ever. The scenery is definitely spectacular! This cruise is what got us hooked on DCL. We had an incredible time!

Whoa. Haven't heard about this train before. What's the deal? I'm thinking of doing California and Alaska in 2015 and I was trying to figure out how to get back and forth from LA. This sounds awesome. We love the Auto train. Is this similar, but with no autos?

Yes :thumbsup2 It is Amtrak's service from Seattle to Los Angeles. One cool addition to this route is the Pacific Parlour car, which is an additional lounge car just for the use of the people staying in the sleeper cars.

http://www.pacificparlourcar.com/

We have taken the Coast Starlight from LA to San Jose a few times and just love it. We stay in a sleeper car room even though there is no over-night for that portion, just to enjoy the Pacific Parlour car. But we are really looking forward to trying out the two-day trip, covering the entire route.

But I have been warned that sometimes the Pacific Parlour Car is not on the train. There are only 5 left in the Amtrak fleet and four trains running that route at any given time. So if two are out of service, a train might run without it. So far we have been lucky and had it every time :thumbsup2

We also are choosing to do the train portion after the cruise since many times the trains can run late. I don't want to worry the whole train ride if we are going to be late for the cruise. So we are flying to Vancouver and then taking the train home. I don't care if I'm late getting home from vacation :rotfl2:

Our boys (12 & 14) actually spent a lot of time in the clubs. It was our first cruise and first time in Alaska but they got to see so much at the ports they didn't mind hanging with some friends. We had to make them spend an hour with us while viewing Tracy Arm. We saw a ton of wild life and beautiful scenery. I don't think it is a trip anyone would regret doing. We were ready to go back before ever leaving the ship!

We leave on sat for this cruise. I'm so excited. My dd (8) is also super excited. She's disappointed massages are only for adults! What movies were playing?

Thanks for posting this & looking forward to your trip report. We are taking this cruise in July. Like you, we have been waiting for our kids to get a bit older so that they will appreciate the scenery & wildlife. But when I say this to people, they seem puzzled.

I was grinning ear to ear reading how much you loved it!! :lovestruc We are on the 6/17 sailing and we are so excited!! :cool1:

Any tips you want to share? How was the disembark process and do you remember about what time the first group was called? Lastly, was the Pixar party at 10:15pm?

Thank you :goodvibes
Heather

Looking forward to your trip report. We cancelled our cruise on another line because of water polo and I regret our decision as they cancel the water polo tournament. Nice, huh.... I rebooked for next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter