Just Returned - Fantasmic Rained Out

buddyboo

Earning My Ears
We just returned from a great WDW trip, and I thought I'd share my Fantasmic Dinner Package experience. We had an early ressie (4 p.m.) at Hollywood and Vine and enjoyed a great meal. We booked it early so we could arrive at the park late and enjoy some rides at a time not in the heat of the day. At about 6:30 p.m. a thunderstorm began. We put on our Mickey ponchos and still enjoyed ourselves for a whilie. At 8:00 we made our way toward the back Fantasmic gate. Still no word on if the show would be cancelled. At about 8:30 they started letting people in, it was pouring pretty good with thunder and lightning. The place was pretty much empty, with the exception of the Fantasmic dinner package ticket holders. I think everyone figured the show would be cancelled, since it was a pretty good storm, but ticket holders couldn't leave and still get a raincheck for another night. They finally cancelled the show shortly after 9 p.m. Everyone then filed to guest relations to obtain tickets for another night. To get a new voucher, we had to say which day we would like to return (it couldn't be an open date). I was told that if it were to rain the night of our raincheck, that we wouldn't have to wait in the rain, instead if at 8:30 it was raining, that we could just go to guest relations and say we were rained out before and didn't want to wait in the rain again, and that we'd receive a new raincheck. Fortunately the next night was clear.

I don't know if I'll do the Fantasmic dinner package again. I'm appreciative that I was able to get the raincheck, but didn't really appreciate having to sit on metal benches in the middle of lightning for 30 minutes. I've been told that when there is a 10:30 showing of fantasmic, there isn't much of a line, so maybe we'll plan for that one next time.

Thanks for letting us know this! I had been told by a server at the resturant during our FDP Meal that if it was rained out they would not give you a raincheck, you would just have paid a high price for a meal.

Thanks for the info!!

I booked our Fantasmic package half way thru our trip in case we got rained out we could make it up. I just assumed we would have to stand in line the next time!!!

Thanks for the info! It must have been such a disappointment after all the sitting. We also went on an "iffy" night, and as we sat there in our ponchos with about 1/3 the theater full, they kept announcing that they would make a decision about whether to have the show at the last minute. DH kept betting how if they decided to cancel it, there would be this swarm of yellow ponchos storming the control booth! Fortunately the show went on in our case, but I remember the tension we felt wondering, so sorry yours met with an unhappy ending.

Glad to hear you got a raincheck; I was also under the impression that if it rained out pretty much TOUGH.

This morning I booked a package w/ Hollywood and Vine hoping I didn't sign myself up for an expensive dinner and show sans the show :) I also got the package early in our stay in case a later raincheck was available in the week.

We did the dinner package two years ago and got stormed out. We sat and waited, and the stadium was packed. It started to lightening pretty good, and they made an announcement, that for safety reasons everyone had to exit immediately. We waited in some shops for awhile, as they said they may start it later if the storm passed. The CM's in the store, announced it was completely cancelled about half an hour later. When we left, I saw a huge line at Guest Relations, I asked what it was for (I was hoping rainchecks) and it was, so I stayed and my family took the boat back to the hotel. We got the raincheck for the next night, and it got dark again, but luckily it passed and we finally got to see the show! So if they tell you no rainchecks, don't believe them. (All of this was after we tried not doing the package, and just waiting in line and couldn't get in. Third try was the charm that year to see the show).

Erika

Do you have to go to the MGM Guest Relations or can you use the guest relations at your hotel.

If not, what were the lines like?

If you are talking about getting the rainchecks, you have to go to MGM's guest relations. The lines were quite long, they were well out of the building, probably waited 15 minutes the night I was there.

Erika

I wonder if this was the same night we tried it? We did the Brown Derby package for 8/1 and got rained out. We didn't realize that you could get rainchecks for it, but it didn't matter, as we were only there for 1 more night, and had reservations for Cirque for that one...

It was quite a disappointment, although the party thought that the dinner was excellent and we all understood that there was no guarantee/obligation on their part for the Fantasmic. I don't know that I would do it again, as the dinner and the wait to find out it was cancelled ate about 3 hours of park time. Plus, the park closed at 9, so by the time they cancelled it, you just had to leave--kind of insult to injury...

Hmmm...I just read on the Fantasmic Package thread (thanks for the link, Beattyfamily :) ) that vouchers were NOT given out recently?

Can anybody shed more light on this?

I definitely would not want to be sitting on metal benches suring a thunder & lightening storm.

Originally posted by lonegungirl
I wonder if this was the same night we tried it? We did the Brown Derby package for 8/1 and got rained out. We didn't realize that you could get rainchecks for it, but it didn't matter, as we were only there for 1 more night, and had reservations for Cirque for that one...

It was quite a disappointment, although the party thought that the dinner was excellent and we all understood that there was no guarantee/obligation on their part for the Fantasmic. I don't know that I would do it again, as the dinner and the wait to find out it was cancelled ate about 3 hours of park time. Plus, the park closed at 9, so by the time they cancelled it, you just had to leave--kind of insult to injury...

Hi
we are thinking of brown derby for fantasmic,we have 4 + 12 year old, do you think this will be ok for them.
Not sure what you mean about them giving no garauntee for fantasmic ??? do you mean they just can,t be responsable if it is cancelled.
thanks.
kim.

We just made reservations for a Fantasmic Dinner Package at Mama Melrose's for Saturday, 9/27. The CM who took my res. SAID that if Fantasmic is rained out,we would get a raincheck. I hope that's true.
On another note, I am wondering if we even need to do this dinner package? $28.99 for each, she said we get dinner, dessert and the show. But if we don't get to choose the dessert, well, I don't like coffee and DH wouldn't even think of eating tiramisu (too finicky). OK, we are both finicky. So, maybe I will just cancel. Any opinions on whether the crowds will be light enough that we don't need reserved seating, or if at $28.99 we will get to choose from the entire menu?

kim wilson:

I saw lots of kids there...although many had passed out at the table after a hard day of touring. It was a lengthy dinner though, so it would probably depend on whether your kids have a high tolerance for long meals.

When I made my reservation, I was told that there was no guarantee that Fantasmic! would go on, probably to ward off people who would want refunds for their dinners if the show got cancelled. People seem to be getting rainchecks for other nights when it gets rained out, anyway.

LadyAurora :

I don't know about how the crowds are, but at the BD, we were allowed to choose anything off the menu. There was an optional additional lobster tail available, but they told us outright that it was not included in the package.

Buddyboo, I did not realize they issued rainchecks for Fantasmic. My sister and I were there the last of July and almost were rained out too. If we had been all our evenings were booked up with other things we had planned in advance so we would have been out of luck. It was good you were able to go and see it another night. Big sister and I thought it was great! So next year when we go again with the rest of the family we will know to leave more evenings open in case we do get rained out. Not so fortunate for the Illuminations, I just could not wait any longer I was drenched so we left and hopefully will be able to see it next year.
Thanks for the topic.
"Montana Minnies":Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce:

I don't know if the CM I asked was aware of this policy- but I'd be forewarned next time!! That's what makes these forums so great- you always learn something new!!!!!

At Mama Melrose with the Fantasmic Dinner Package you are REQUIRED to get the flatbread as an appetizer (one to share, depending on party size) and the tiramisu as dessert. No choice. You can choose your entree, however.

We really wanted to eat at Mama Melrose, but we don't like tiramisu, so we opted for Hollywood and Vine.

Maggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter