Just returned...couple of Baby Care Center observations

amarberry

DIS Veteran
Hello...

We just returned from a week at WDW. This was my 14 mo. old DD's second trip. She is still nursing, so I've now had two Baby Care Center experiences to compare.

I'm not sure if "times have changed" in the last 10 months since our last trip or if I just happened to hit the BCC's at the right/wrong time, but I have to say that I found the cell phone usage in the nursing rooms to be a little shocking/annoying. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but almost everytime I was in the nursing room at Magic Kingdom, somebody was making or receiving a cell phone call. The room would be nice and quiet and peaceful, and all of the sudden one of the mom's would whip out her cell phone and proceed to have a loud conversation with someone. I just couldn't believe it. It's one thing to accidently have your phone ring and to quickly answer it to say "I'll have to call you back" and hang up, but these were loud conversations.

I know that I'm not at home and can't expect a perfectly quiet nursing environment, but the primary reason why I nurse my DD at the BCC center is because she is easily distractable and I want to minimize those distractions. I don't know...am I overreacting?

As they were on our last trip, the BCC's at MK, Epcot, and AK were wonderful. They were spacious, clean, and always staffed by a very helpful cast member. These three BCC's really make a WDW trip with an infant/toddler "doable" in my eyes.

The BCC at MGM just does not live up to the standards of the other BCC's by any means. In fact, I thought it was horrible. It is not staffed which leads to a lot of confusion, especially about the nursing rooms which are private, but only seperated by a curtain. I was nursing my DD at MGM when another mom came in to check out the BCC and must have been showing her older child around. At the end of her self-guided tour, I could hear her right outside my nursing stall saying something like "and her are the nursing rooms." I can't remember exactly what I said, but it sounded like she was just about to open the curtain to my room, so I think I said something like "there is someone in this room." I don't think that she understood that the nursing rooms at MGM were private because she got all huffy and started saying "I'll nurse my baby wherever and whenever I want to." I tried to explain, through the curtain, that the rooms were private and that there was another one on the other side, but I think that she pretty much stormed out of there. It would have been nice if someone, besides me, could have explained the set up to this woman.

Also, not to get all worked up about noise in the BCC's again, but there is no soundproofing at the MGM BCC at all. Later that afternoon, I was nursing my DD and trying to get her to fall asleep and it was like there was a party going on in there.

Anyhow, those were some of my observations. Sorry this is so long. We had a great trip!!!!

Thanks for your post. My dd will be 17 months old when we go in jan and in all possibilities still nursing. I have never used a child care center before. i plan on using it to try to get Audrey to get to sleep. Other than that I will just about nurse her anywhere. She is the 3rd baby I've nursed so i lost all modesty ages ago. I do appreciate your reviews and wish there were monitors in all of the centers. i will probably not even try at MGM now. no way will she sleep if there is any "fun" going on nearby!!

Goodness --- I can top that. We went to the MK baby care center one day when my DD was about a year old. I was feeding her in the high chair after I heated up her Lil Entree. This ENTIRE family (with no infants, let alone toddlers) plopped themselves in the middle of the room at the table and unloaded a cooler for lunch! :confused3

rchristiansen said:
Goodness --- I can top that. We went to the MK baby care center one day when my DD was about a year old. I was feeding her in the high chair after I heated up her Lil Entree. This ENTIRE family (with no infants, let alone toddlers) plopped themselves in the middle of the room at the table and unloaded a cooler for lunch! :confused3

I can't believe a CM didn't say anything!! They are lucky I wasn't there onone of my "moody" days! I'd of whipped my puppies out and started feeding my family too :goodvibes

I find that cell phones make alot of people rude. People just continue on w/ their conversations while with other people is extremely rude. They should have a 'no cell phone rule'.

*mama2aislinn* said:
I find that cell phones make alot of people rude. People just continue on w/ their conversations while with other people is extremely rude. They should have a 'no cell phone rule'.

i agree about the NO CELL PHONE rule! I hate them. I can't tell you how many times I've been at Disney and have stood in line next to people and have heard INTIMATE details of their lives, or entire business deals. it's not even like its an emergency conversation! Its usually like these people are talking about AIR. Come ON, You are on VACATION!! Spend some time with your family or friends. I think cell phones have made us forget real face to face conversations and manners.

In Jan I found the MK BCC to be filthy! I changed my son's diaper so fast and ran out of there. I was planning on feeding him in a highchair, but the place was so crowded, smelly and dirty I couldn't wait to leave.

Never seen the MGM BCC, will check it out this coming Dec. Loved the Epcot and AK BCCs, empty and very clean.

About the cell phone use, I would have said something!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter