Just Returned: 7 Days of Disney Dining

stardis

Earning My Ears
Just returned from our Disney trip today and wanted to provide my perspective on our dining choices.

1. Victoria and Albert's
2. Kona Café Breakfast
3. Mama Melrose Fantasmic Package
4. Roaring Fork CS
5. Tusker House Lunch
6. Ohana Dinner
7. Crystal Palace Breakfast
8. BOG Lunch
9. Fireworkds Dessert Party
10. Akershus Breakfast
11. Afternoon Tea
12. Boma Breakfast
13. Hoop Dee Doo

1. V&A

It probably wasn't wise to start our trip out with V&A because nothing afterwards could even compare. When others review this meal as the best they have ever had, they are not exaggerating! The food was absolutely fantastic but I will highlight my favorites. I did upgrade to the Australian Kobe and was not disappointed. This beef melted in my mouth and the oxtail ravioli on the side was rich and flavorful. The halibut was perfectly cooked and the acidity of the tomato accompaniment was a perfect pairing. The banana gateau was beautifully presented. The filling was creamy while the outer shell crispy and sweet. My husband opted for the wine pairing and was more than satisfied. The personalized service and atmosphere make this an absolute must do for anyone who has the budget!

2. Kona Café Breakfast

After reading several reviews, I had to try the Tonga Toast. This was a huge piece of French toast, crispy on the outside and gooey and warm in the middle. The strawberry compote is a must do as I am not sure I would have liked it as much without it. My husband had the steak and eggs. He had no complaints but didn't rave about it either. Our 9 year old had the kids Mickey pancakes, which were misleading because they are plated as a large middle pancake with 2 smaller pancakes for Mickey ears. Not that this affected the taste but I was under the impression they were smaller as was she. The place was crowded and busy so our server was less attentive and it took some time for us to get our drinks. However, overall I would do it again.

3. Mama Melrose

I was skeptical about this one because the reviews were not great but really wanted the Fantasmic package so decided to give it a try.

We attempted to check in for our reservation a little early and found the place to be packed. Reservations were running 20 minutes behind and that made our wait for a table almost an hour and they were fully booked (no walk ups at all). Note that there is very little indoor seating available in the waiting area. I knew it was a crap shoot to try to get in early so the wait to get seated did not impact my perspective very much but other guests seemed to voice their frustrations with the delay.

Our service once seated was a bit slow as well. We had the antipasto for two as an appetizer and found it to be good. The bread service was also good-warm and moist inside and crispy on the outside. My husband and I both had the seafood arrabbiata. My husband raved about the dish and thought it was very good. I found it less appetizing. It did have plenty of seafood, which was a plus but the sauce was a bit watery for my liking.

Our daughter had the kid's chicken parm. She said the sauce tasted like water and that the chicken at Olive Garden was better. I did taste it and it wasn't very flavorful.

With the Fantasmic package you get a dessert sampler. We got a honey-hazelnut ricotta cheesecake, cappuccino cream puffs, and a dessert a pistachio (almost cheesecake consistency) on top and a fruit square (of the berry variety) on bottom. I thought the desserts were the best part of the meal.

Without the Fantasmic package, I would definitely not eat here again. However, when we arrived at Fantasmic and got our seats, I was glad we did. I read a lot of reviews that the Fantasmic reserved seating is to the side but we sat right in the middle. I would still recommend showing up earlier than the suggested time to get a good seat though. Once the middle section was full, dining package guests were filling in the side sections, which wasn't much different than everyone else.

4. Roaring Fork CS Mickey Waffles

I know this one is not a TS but we stayed at WL and Roaring Fork just happens to have some of the best Mickey waffles! Yes at the waffle bar you can get Mickey waffles three ways: with strawberries and whipped cream; with a rich bananas foster sauce, or with chocolate chips and chocolate sauce. All served with crispy bacon as a CS meal!

I might add that they have some tasty sandwich options for lunch and dinner as well.

5. Tusker House Lunch

This is the 3rd time we have had TH lunch with character dining. They have a variety of food both African influenced and traditional. The carved meats were all juicy and flavorful. My favorite items include the couscous salad, seafood stew, chicken curry, and the marinated salmon. The dessert selection is okay but not as good as other buffets on property. I liked the bread pudding best but not as much as Ohana.

Our character interaction this trip was not as good as previous trips. We were done with our food and still waiting for characters. Although, this was not an issue for us, our waitress seemed in a rush to get us out of the door so we missed Goofy.

With that said, I still love the food and this remains a must do for us.

6. Ohana Dinner

I timed this reservation perfectly to enjoy the view of Wishes from the window and even lucked out and got a front window seat. However, the nasty rainy weather and low cloud coverage made it very difficult to see the fireworks :(

My daughter and I enjoyed the salad and the passion fruit vinaigrette. My husband thought it was too sweet and didn't care for it. We all enjoyed the pot stickers and usually love chicken wings but weren't crazy about the sauce on these. The noodles were good as was the broccoli but nothing memorable. I have heard mixed reviews about the meat being dry but was still eager to try. The steak was absolutely delicious, tender and flavorful as were the shrimp. The pork and chicken were a little dry and we did not bother with seconds on either of those. The bread pudding with caramel banana sauce and vanilla ice cream was excellent.

The restaurant is very dimly lit which didn't bother me at all but some might find it too dark at night. The entertainment was corny but my 9 year old liked it.

7. Crystal Palace Breakfast

Our reservations were pre-park opening and I would definitely suggest doing this if you haven't before as an empty park does add something magical. Unfortunately for us, we did not indulge in this moment as much as we would have liked because the weather was again less than cooperative.

The buffet included your usual breakfast fare complete with an omelet station. Noteworthy items included the breakfast lasagna, which was very sweet, and Mickey waffles. I did try the popular puffed French toast but found it to be too dry for my liking. All other items were pretty standard but good.

The character interaction here was great and probably one of the best we experienced this trip. I felt it was very organized and the wait wasn't as long in between characters.

If you are looking for a good character experience and a pre-opening spot then this is a good choice. However, based on food alone, I probably wouldn't give this a second visit.

8. BOG Lunch

I fell into the same boat as many other Disers and could not seem to score a dinner reservation for BOG so I settled for lunch. The line was consistently long throughout the afternoon but definitely got much shorter after 1:30, which is when we decided to hop in. The wait was no more than 30 minutes which seems consistent with other reports. However, it does seem that the hold up is at the touch screen ordering stations as many others have pointed out. People are very easily confused during this portion of the experience and I am really not sure how to mitigate this issue.

There was plenty of seating available when we arrived. We ate in the ballroom which was nicely decorated but did some exploring of the other 2 rooms as well. The West Wing was definitely dark but if you don't mind that, it was less crowded and much more quiet.

The stand out dishes for our party were the French onion soup, pot roast, and the strawberry cream cheese cupcake. I thought the pot roast was a little salty but others in my party did not. I ordered the chocolate cream puff and thought it was yummy but tried my husband's cupcake and it for sure won the dessert round.

Overall, not bad for a CS. I liked the atmosphere and the fact that your food is delivered to you. I would do it again.

9. Fireworks Dessert Party

The location is great and covered in case you are trying to avoid the elements. The desserts were delicious and plentiful. The all you can eat buffet included cupcakes, brownies, mango shooters, cannoli, mini fruit tarts, tiramisu, mini cheese cakes, cookies, ice cream, fresh fruit, coffee, lemonade, tea, milk, water, and I am sure I am forgetting something although I tasted almost everything! Everything was bite sized so sampling was easy. I read other reviews about desserts running out and not being replenished but did not experience this at all. There were plenty of desserts left even after the fireworks and many guest enjoyed a few to go.

Some tables allow for seated viewing of the fireworks but many people went to the rail where the view was much better. However, it still didn't seem crowded and viewing was not an issue like it is on Main Street.

Although this experience costs extra and is not covered by the DDP, I felt it was worth it. It was a relaxing, stress free way to view Wishes and Tinker Bell flies right above you.

Note: We booked our trip with some friends who did not initially book the party. They were able to get a reservation the same day as there was a cancellation. I would still recommend booking as soon as the reservation is available especially during peak seasons but it isn't impossible to get something closer to your date.

10. Akershus Breakfast

Belle is my daughter's favorite princess so this one was a must do for her. Although the lunch/dinner menu looked more appealing to us, breakfast allowed us to take advantage of the tasty eats of the world showcase later in the day.

Your reservation begins with a photo op with Belle. The photo package is included with your reservation (like CRT).

The buffet has cold breakfast items such as yogurt, fruit, meats, and cheeses as well as bagels and assorted pastries.

Eggs, cheesy potato casserole, sausage, and bacon are served family style at your table. The potatoes and sausage were favorites.

The princess experience was great, we were not rushed, and our daughter enjoyed the princess parade.

This is a cost effective alternative to CRT and in my opinion the food was better!

11. Afternoon Tea

Located in the Garden View Lounge of the Grand Floridian, Afternoon Tea provided a relaxing atmosphere and break from the hustle and bustle of the parks. That being said, do not book this reservation if you are in a hurry as our dining experience lasted about 1.5 hours.

I know there has been some debate as to whether or not a la carte options are offered and I can tell you that there weren't any a la carte items on the menus we received.

There were several tea packages to choose from that included a pot of tea and varying food courses depending upon your preference.

I had the Buckingham palace which included tea sandwiches, onion tart, jam tart, scone, and either strawberries and cream or pastries of which I had the strawberries and cream. The tea sandwiches were all good but I preferred the chicken curry. The onion tart was a nice surprise. The jam tart and scone were delicious and the lemon curd served with the scone was perfect. My favorite was the strawberries and cream-simple and light yet delicious!

My husband had the Princess Kate and enjoyed the tuna poke!

Our 9 year old enjoyed ham and cheese sandwiches and chocolate milk. Although, I think the experience is better suited for older children (pre-teen, teen) or adults. Our daughter did not have the patience for the slow, relaxed setting.

12. Boma Breakfast

I had to try the jungle juice which was refreshing and delicious! The ham on the carving station and mustard accompaniment were excellent-ham was juicy and flavorful. I tried the turkey and it was good but not as moist as the ham. The turkey bobotie was also very good if you are looking for something more adventurous. My husband and daughter took advantage of the omelet station while I opted for the more sweeter options like French toast bread pudding with bananas foster sauce and blueberry pancakes both of which were favorites at our table. The buffet also hosted fresh fruit, sausage, bacon, and assorted pastries and cereals.

The best breakfast buffet we had on this trip and a new must for us!

13. Hoop Dee Doo

If you can afford the category 1 seating, do it! We were center stage in the middle of all the action! The food served family style included fried chicken, BBQ ribs, salad, corn bread, baked beans, corn, and mashed potatoes, all of which were very good! Strawberry shortcake was for dessert and was also very good. However, it was a close second to the one you can get at Sunshine Seasons in the Epcot Land Pavilion.

The show was great. I felt that it was upbeat enough for the kids but included some subtle adult humor to keep us entertained. I would do this again as well.

And after all of that, plus my CS, snacks and 2 buffets and Discovery Cove, I think I may have gained a few lbs!

Sorry I did not get photos! I hope this helps some fellow disers in their dining planning. Please feel free to ask any questions that I did not answer.

A very positive great review. Thanks. I love Boma breakfasts and always go once or twice. Crystal Palace is always wonderful. I havent tried the others but we are doing HBD with the Fantasmic package.
I don't think we always need pics. Well written and helpful .:thumbsup2

I agree. This was a great review. Easy to follow and didn't take a lifetime to get through to the main points. Bravo.

I also agree with you...I would have put V&A toward the middle/end of the trip. Or bookend it with CaliGrille

Cheers!

So nicely organized! I'm a first timer trying to figure out WDW food! Just DH and I this trip. Your thoughts on each place were very helpful!

Is Boma's Breakfast always a buffet? I'm looking for a good breakfast place for my DH that isn't a character meal.

In Hoop de Doo did you have to participate in the show with up close seating?

For V & A you may not know the answer, but I have a fish allergy and half the courses are fish. Since it is pre fix could I have those courses replaced? Also, how dressed up do you have to be?

So nicely organized! I'm a first timer trying to figure out WDW food! Just DH and I this trip. Your thoughts on each place were very helpful!

Is Boma's Breakfast always a buffet? I'm looking for a good breakfast place for my DH that isn't a character meal.

In Hoop de Doo did you have to participate in the show with up close seating?

For V & A you may not know the answer, but I have a fish allergy and half the courses are fish. Since it is pre fix could I have those courses replaced? Also, how dressed up do you have to be?

Yes, Boma breakfast is always a buffet. But a very good one that seems to consistently get great reviews. Our reservation was for a late breakfast (1045), which was perfect because the place was empty.

For Hoop De Doo, random audience members are selected to participate but seating didn't seem to impact selection.

V&A is very accommodating and the Chef will create a personalized menu just for you if necessary. A few days prior to your reservation, a cast member from V&A will call you and/or send an email asking about allergies/preferences and will adjust your menus accordingly. In terms of dress, men do have to wear a collared shirt, jacket/sports coat-tie optional. My husband wore slacks, dress shoes, collared shirt and suit jacket. I wore a cocktail dress, however a nice pant suit is also an option for women.

Yes, Boma breakfast is always a buffet. But a very good one that seems to consistently get great reviews. Our reservation was for a late breakfast (1045), which was perfect because the place was empty.

For Hoop De Doo, random audience members are selected to participate but seating didn't seem to impact selection.

V&A is very accommodating and the Chef will create a personalized menu just for you if necessary. A few days prior to your reservation, a cast member from V&A will call you and/or send an email asking about allergies/preferences and will adjust your menus accordingly. In terms of dress, men do have to wear a collared shirt, jacket/sports coat-tie optional. My husband wore slacks, dress shoes, collared shirt and suit jacket. I wore a cocktail dress, however a nice pant suit is also an option for women.

Thanks! Good info. I'm adding these to our possibilities list. Trying to decide if we will feel like packing "dress up clothes" in a probably over full suitcase. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter