Just Returned - 1st Timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfc3rid

DIS Veteran
I'm a long time Disney Park fan, having been to WDW about 30 times and DL 1 time (last Summer), this was my first trip to an overseas Disney Park/Resort, with a planned journey to Tokyo in 2013... I'm also a 12 year member of the Disney Vacation Club and stayed at the DL Hotel using DVC Points... Please note this is one couple's opinion.

Well... Disneyland Paris is very...different. My wife and I both feel that it did not feel 'Disney'. Did not live up to the 'Disney' name the way the parks in the US do. Cast Members could certainly use some Disney University training as CM's do here in the US. They were not willing to do whatever it takes to make guests feel special.

Disneyland Park is beautiful. However, signs of poor or no maintenance were evident. Areas that should have received a good coat of paint, especially for an Anniversary year, are all over the place. Folks are smoking all over the park in areas designated no smoking. I know this is France but still... I just felt there were a lot of places that looked run down and unused. Large areas in Frontierland which could be home to Splash Mountain or Winnie the Pooh sitting unused. Many restaurants completely shuttered...

Walt Disney Studios Park was interesting. I cringe to think how awful it was on Opening Day but I give the Euro Disney folks credit for realizing it needed work. I think if they could do a reworking the way Disney California Adventure is getting, this Park will be exceptional.

The Disneyland Hotel is charming but dated. Our room certainly needed some TLC. In addition, the hallway outside of our room smelled of vomit the entire trip and CM's were not that interested in fixing that issue. Breakfast was nice. Plenty of food.

The fact that the RER and EuroStar stops here is great, as we took to RER in from Paris and EuroStar over the London.

Overall, it was an interesting visit. I had low expectations coming in and they were justified. I tried hard to like it but I don't think we will be returning anytime soon. We are greatly looking forward to Tokyo Disney next year...

We are long-time Disney fans - with most of our visits at DL. When we go to DLP this summer we will finally have visited all the parks!!!

I just wanted to say that we have visited Tokyo twice and it is the best of them all. You won't be disappointed! :cool1:

I'm sorry you didn't overly enjoy your visit to DLP. The smelly hallway does not sound pleasant. :(

My wife and I both feel that it did not feel 'Disney'. Did not live up to the 'Disney' name the way the parks in the US do. Cast Members could certainly use some Disney University training as CM's do here in the US. They were not willing to do whatever it takes to make guests feel special.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I really don't find DLP any less "Magical" than WDW (which is the only other Disney resort I have visited) I think the majority of CMs at DLP do a good job. Sure there are some that aren't very Disney, but I have also encountered a few in WDW who could have done with some re-training!! ;)

Disneyland Park is beautiful. However, signs of poor or no maintenance were evident. Areas that should have received a good coat of paint, especially for an Anniversary year, are all over the place. Folks are smoking all over the park in areas designated no smoking. I know this is France but still... I just felt there were a lot of places that looked run down and unused. Large areas in Frontierland which could be home to Splash Mountain or Winnie the Pooh sitting unused. Many restaurants completely shuttered...

The restaurant thing is terrible and it's a big talking point on the French forums also. ::yes::

DLP unfortunately don't have the budget that the US parks have so they have cutbacks in several fields....

Because they don't have the budget I don't think that there will be any new attraction in the park soon. Especially not a Splash Mountain as the weather isn't suitable in Northern Europe for such a ride :rotfl2:

The Studios will be getting the Ratatouille ride in 2014 which will liven up that park a bit more though so it's not all bad.

I personally prefer the European approach to service and I get culture shock in the US so I can see where you are coming from on that point.

What did you think of Dreams though as you've not mentionned it ? :goodvibes

Yes, wasn't the fantastic, beautiful, amazing Dreams enough to make up for any shortfall?!!! I always feel a little sad when "our" park is compared unfavourably with the others. I have never visited any others and with a son who could never cope with long-haul flights I am unlikely to ever do so. It does make me wonder sometimes what it would be like but then I think I would be overwhelmed with the sheer scale of the American parks.

Interesting that Chimay likes Tokyo best as I would probably have put it last on my list to do. French feels "normal" in the park but Japanese - I'm not so sure, although I would love to visit Japan itself.

Hope you will still have some happy memories. :goodvibes

Oh, that's a shame you didn't enjoy DLP.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and I actually thought the park was in great shape, following several refurbs over the last few months.

I suppose it's what you're used to. I try to remember my first time at DLP and I know that we most probably look at it differently now that we've been many times (kind of like not noticing that you own hallway needs re-painted, because you live in it and see it every day).

I hope that 'sick' smell wasn't the hotel's very own vanilla/sandalwood smell :lmao:

Oh, that's a shame you didn't enjoy DLP.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and I actually thought the park was in great shape, following several refurbs over the last few months.

Me too, and I always think the natural beauty of the landscaping is superb at this time of year.

I suppose it's what you're used to. I try to remember my first time at DLP and I know that we most probably look at it differently now that we've been many times (kind of like not noticing that you own hallway needs re-painted, '*** you live in it and see it every day).

I know exactly what you mean! :)

I hope that 'sick' smell wasn't the hotel's very own vanilla/sandalwood smell :lmao:

:rotfl2:

You will realy enjoy Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea, they are the best Disney theme parks in the world. Once you have visted these two parks you will look at DL and WDW in a totaly new light.

Are you going to visit Hong Kong too while your in the region?

TDL is at the top of our Disney list.

Sorry to hear you weren't impressed. The American parks are on a different scale to DLRP and I doubt I'd visit DLRP if WDW or DL were closer to me.

But for a short Disney fix its perfect for us Brits. Also we're all a bit more moody and rude so probably don't notice the CMs as rude as much as Americans do.

Hope you enjoyed Dreams. I live wishes and Fantasmic and World of colour is high in my Disney must do list. So I'm hoping it brings a little but of ech of those 3 together to tide DH and I over until we get back to the States. X

Sorry to hear you weren't impressed. The American parks are on a different scale to DLRP and I doubt I'd visit DLRP if WDW or DL were closer to me.

But for a short Disney fix its perfect for us Brits.
Also we're all a bit more moody and rude so probably don't notice the CMs as rude as much as Americans do.

Hope you enjoyed Dreams. I live wishes and Fantasmic and World of colour is high in my Disney must do list. So I'm hoping it brings a little but of ech of those 3 together to tide DH and I over until we get back to the States. X

moody and rude? I can't agree with that, theres a huge spectrum between smiley gushing enthusiasm and "moody and rude". Do you really think Brits are generally moody and rude in their day to day lives? Because I don't.

I'm genuinely interested - what is considered "rude" behaviour from CMs?

moody and rude? I can't agree with that, theres a huge spectrum between smiley gushing enthusiasm and "moody and rude". Do you really think Brits are generally moody and rude in their day to day lives? Because I don't.

I'm genuinely interested - what is considered "rude" behaviour from CMs?

+1 I'd like to know too as I don't consider the British as moody or rude nor any other nationality as a whole. :confused3

Dreams was on our first night there but we were getting over Food Poisoning from our previous day in Paris so we didn't make it and the second night we were there it was cancelled due to weather... So we did not see it...

It's not that I felt the CMs were rude, just that if the Disney name is going to be in the park, you would expect some sort of common CM training in dealing with guests on stage... CMs were checking their cell phones while working in the on-stage areas... Come on now...

We are very much looking forward to Tokyo even though language will be a major issue.

sorry to hear about your food poisoning - are you all feeling well now?

Dreams was on our first night there but we were getting over Food Poisoning from our previous day in Paris so we didn't make it and the second night we were there it was cancelled due to weather... So we did not see it...

It's not that I felt the CMs were rude, just that if the Disney name is going to be in the park, you would expect some sort of common CM training in dealing with guests on stage... CMs were checking their cell phones while working in the on-stage areas... Come on now...

We are very much looking forward to Tokyo even though language will be a major issue.

Sounds like you didn't have much luck in Paris. What with your food poisoning - then your disappointment with DLP. Hopefully you have better luck in Tokyo and you find that up to par! :thumbsup2

But for a short Disney fix its perfect for us Brits. Also we're all a bit more moody and rude so probably don't notice the CMs as rude as much as Americans do.

Oh my goodness!

I wouldn't say the American parks are on a different scale to DLRP, they're just different full stop.

And moody and rude? I don't know about you but I'm not moody and rude :confused3 I seriously don't think you can make a sweeping generalisation like that!

And DLRP is ok for a "quick fix"for us Brits but not for anyone else? Let alone Americans I'm assuming? I happen to know two different American families who's fave Disney resort is DLRP.

Ok, so it's subjective but let's judge the park on it's own merits and DLRP has many many good and unique points that helps it stand alone as a Disney Resort.

Wow! Calm down guys.

I said we're a "bit more moody and rude"

All I meant was in our day to day lives we aren't greeted with a smile and a "how may I help you" upon entering every shop. In the US that's something that's done as standard in my experience. American customer service (in my opinion) seems to be about approaching customers as soon a possible and with a huge smile.

You cant disagree with me that in Europe that isn't the norm. I'm not complaining, I am English after all. I just always think as we notice the difference in American service, Americans must notice the difference in ours.

I'll admit moody and rude was the wrong phrasing to choose, but in my head it sounded very different to how I think you have all interpreted it. X

I love Europe, and love DLRP. And contrary to what a few of you seem to think, I'm here to talk about Disney, not cause fights or insult people.

Xx

I might be a bit "moody" - at certain times of the month :laughing: ..... but i'm definitely not rude. *thumbsdown*

Wow! Calm down guys.

I said we're a "bit more moody and rude"

All I meant was in our day to day lives we aren't greeted with a smile and a "how may I help you" upon entering every shop. In the US that's something that's done as standard in my experience. American customer service (in my opinion) seems to be about approaching customers as soon a possible and with a huge smile.

You cant disagree with me that in Europe that isn't the norm. I'm not complaining, I am English after all. I just always think as we notice the difference in American service, Americans must notice the difference in ours.

I'll admit moody and rude was the wrong phrasing to choose, but in my head it sounded very different to how I think you have all interpreted it. X

I love Europe, and love DLRP. And contrary to what a few of you seem to think, I'm here to talk about Disney, not cause fights or insult people.

Xx

thanks Torsie, thats the only issue I had with what you posted, that we were moody and rude.

thanks Torsie, thats the only issue I had with what you posted, that we were moody and rude.
Glad I explained myself. Of course I wasn't calling anyone moody or rude. I just meant in comparison our customer service attitude in general is a lot less smiley and chatty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter