Just read a horrible review of Fireworks Dessert Party from last week-keep or cancel?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by wannabemini, Aug 13, 2013.

1. kristainohio

kristainohio Mouseketeer

One negative review would not change my mind. I read so many positive reviews that we booked ours for the last week of June. I wanted to have a place for my mom to sit (has trouble standing for long periods of time) and I thought it would be great to be out of the crowds. In my opinion the party is not worth it. Our table was placed right next to the buffet and it was very cramped. People were constantly walking by us. We couldn't see since people stood right in front of us and you could not hear the music at all. The desserts were good and it was nice to sit down, but for a fireworks viewing it was not great. The one thing that makes Wishes magical is the music so we were disappointed. I didn't complain or anything, we just chalked it up to something we won't spend our money on again. :goodvibes I rarely find anything at Disney less than satisfactory it's just this didn't live up to the hype I had read.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. d1gitman

d1gitman Mad About The Mouse!

we did it in 2012 and they had breads, cheeses & crackers with servers cutting for guests in addtion to the sweets. we did it again in March of this year and the breads, cheeses & crackers were gonzo. also, in March, the layouts of hte tables were terrible and hard for guests to navigat as you had to walk thru the crowds getting food in order to get to the dishes & silverware.

all in all we enjoy it and feel it is completely worth it as we like the ability to relax and enjoy the show. the drinks and treats are a bonus in our opinion.

4. Brian_WDW74

Brian_WDW74 <font color=red>Theme Parks Co-Moderator<br><font Moderator

I've moved this thread to the Disney Restaurants forum. :)

5. fflmaster

fflmaster DIS Veteran

deleted since my question was answered

6. Dizneefamily+4

Dizneefamily+4 Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

Didn't read the replies, but we just attended the party on 8/1 and LOVED it! We had awesome seats, the desserts were plentiful and delicious. There was plenty of room for people to stand at the rail and watch without "fighting" over spots. I don't know what there would've been to complain about???

I never base my decisions off of one bad review. For every bad one, there's typically a good one!

Here's where we were:

[​IMG]

7. Aaeolien

Aaeolien Mouseketeer

We did the party the night of July 5th. It was great. Couldn't have asked for a better way to end our vacation. There was plenty of desserts and plenty to drink. It was so nice to just have a place to spread out and relax before the show starts. I will 100% be booking it on our next trip.

8. wannabemini

wannabemini Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the input! I don't think my uncertainty came from just the one review...I had heard many stories like all the ones in this thread--good & "meh"-- but this one I read was from someone who just went last week, so it seemed more timely or something, but I worded so it seemed it was all hanging on the one review--sorry bout that!

My worry is because we're a larger party, we'll get stuck in the back. Are all seatings at 9 pm? I need to go back & re-read, but I think ours says 9:20??

I just hate to plop down the 140+ for the six of us if it's just "meh." That's my worry.

Thanks for listening! Off to pack! We leave in 27 hours!

9. Dizneefamily+4

The seating is based on the order that reservations get placed. The seating time you chose means nothing. Like I said above, we just went on 8/1 - so just about 2 weeks ago. We got in line at 8:35 or so. The party starts at 9. Your seat has already been determined. I stalked the ressie site for weeks waiting for the Aug dates to open. I was able to make our ressie within minutes of those dates being released, so that's why our table was at the front. And really, the seating doesn't matter. Most people go up and stand at the rails once the show starts.

10. Mousemommy1

Mousemommy1 DIS Veteran

We did the dessert party in April and enjoyed ourselves. We are glad to have had the experience and may do it again sometime.

I would not base my decision on one review. I like to form my own opinion on things. :goodvibes

11. BEASLYBOO

BEASLYBOO <font color=deeppink>It's part of the charm<br><fo

The way I approach things, it's one event, not a lifetime commitment, no matter the cost! There are way more positive reviews thant bad ones, take a chance!

If you have a sweet tooth, you won't be disapointed and they even have a few savory things like hard cheeses, crackers etc. for those of us like me not so much into sweets!

12. peachiepie

peachiepie Mouseketeer

So agree with this!

I looked up so many reviews of everything before our last trip and got myself convinced everything we'd picked was going to end up terrible! But we had a wonderful time and didn't regret any of our choices.

As for the dessert party, we loved it...the view, the food, the convenience, everything. I've got DH to agree to another WDW trip, his only condition was that we booked the dessert party again!

13. jaiminee krikit

jaiminee krikit Mouseketeer

We did the party last Christmas Eve, and IMO, it was totally worth it. I loved the desserts, I loved being able to watch the magical projection show on the castle from our seat, and I loved having somewhere to sit (comfortably) before the show.
    I didn't love that as soon as the music started for Wishes, everyone ran to the railing - I had thought everyone would just stay in their seats (we were in the row furthest back and would have been able to see just fine). My daughter stood on her tiptoes for about 5 minutes before the people in the front noticed her and let her squeeze in between them. I also did not love that during the fireworks, cast members cleaned up our tables (we each had a drink and a few more treats left to finish). I also did not love that we ate a big dinner beforehand. Next time, the dessert party will be our dinner!
    A couple of pointers - get up as soon as the music for Wishes starts playing to get a better view (unless you and your family are tall, then feel free to stand behind the shorter people LOL!), and if you are thirsty bring your drink with you to watch, but I wouldn't cancel it because of a few negative reviews. I've read a lot of complaints about things I love, and that doesn't make me love it any less!

14. karmacats

karmacats Mouseketeer

The larger parties can actually have better seats! When we went in Dec. 2011 we were a party of 7, and were in a table right up against the railing - we didn't even have to leave our seats to see the fireworks. When DH and I went alone in April this year, our two-top was placed further back - I was kind of bummed, but then I looked at the seating configuration and there was only 1 two-top near the railing, and the rest were all large tables. I guess maybe they can vary it depending on how many large/small parties are coming to the event, but don't worry about your party size affecting where you sit. Besides, other than the 3 tables up against the rail we were lucky enough to sit in in 2011, even the other "front" tables have space between them and the rail so you will have to stand to see the fireworks.

All seatings should be at 9 when you're going. Ignore the 9:20 time - the reservation system has to give staggered times because of the way it's programmed. This year we got there half an hour before it started and were 5th and 6th in line, so were able to get to the desserts pretty quickly. ;)

I will say the dessert selection seems to have lessened between 2011 and 2013, and the 2013 event was more crowded. There were still plenty of dessert options, though, and plenty of room to stand at the rail to see the fireworks without being crowded. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

15. princess aleya

princess aleya DIS Veteran

I would just go experience it for myself. Have fun!!

16. MsKitty77

MsKitty77 Earning My Ears

We did the party of July 7th (a surprise for the lil sis) and we really enjoyed it, desserts were really tasty and it was nice to sit down and enjoy the fireworks (got a bit of shock though, thought we were going to be watching Wishes and didn't factor in when booking that it with be Celebrate America fireworks instead, so didn't get Tink flying over but an epic view of the 180 fireworks that made up for it). It's booking time that determines where you sit, I managed to score a ressie 30 minutes after the dates opened and we got according to the castmemeber the best seat in the house and we had to agree :thumbsup2, we were a party of 2 but sat next to us was a party of 6 so don't worry about party size affacting where you sit. We really rate it highly and would most likely do it again should we return, though next time we'll probably skip dinner to make more room for dessert :rotfl2:

17. nostalgic4disney

nostalgic4disney Earning My Ears

I've tried to get ressies for this before and was not able to. How were you able to make them 30 min after they were released? Did you just keep checking online or call? Thx.

18. babydoll65

babydoll65 I need a Dole whip

My sister and I went in Oct 2011 and thought it was great and going to try to get a ress for November 10th. Not sure if it matters if your the first to make a ress that your table will be near the front. We booked rather late in 2011 and were seated in the front. I think alot of it has to do with party sizes and just the way they can configure the area. Like most people say, it doesn't matter where your seated everyone we I'll move up to the railing when it starts.

19. Dizneefamily+4

I subscribed to the Wishes Dessert Party thread for info and started stalking the reservation site just before the 60 day release date. I was able to make our ressie within minutes of the dates being released - this I know because of the stalking. Our reservation was just on Aug 1 and our seats were up front by the rail.

20. bluejasmine

bluejasmine DIS Veteran

I agree that you will always get a mixture of reviews on anything in WDW or out.. Youll never know if you dont try it and then if you dont like it you wont have to go back..

21. RedStars

RedStars Mouseketeer

We went last year and got a horrible table. I booked it the morning reservations opened.
    We were sat behind a big column and couldn't see the castle AT ALL. The CMs wouldn't let us move OR move our table.

I was really mad because I was so excited to look at the castle while enjoying my dessert. Instead we stared at a white column. We were told "no one sits during the fireworks any way". But the fireworks were only half the draw.

Never again.