• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just purchased DVC

Isi

Mouseketeer
We were on a cruise this weekend and purchased the DVC..Now I'm thinking its not worth it for me..I'm looking at the points schedule and the times that I can use them is the most expensive times of the year...What should I do, I'm so scared that this is really not for me...Please help me out..We purchased 225 points...

Everyone's situation and needs is different. You still have time to recind your contract and get out of it.

I think you need to take your time to understand the DVC system. We travel at Christmas thru NYE every year. That is the highest, peak time of year. Do you go to Disney every year and stay at Moderate or Deluxe resorts? If yes, you are a DVC candidate. If you stay in the values or offsite, and are happy with those accomadations, then DVC may not be for you.

What exactly are you afraid of?

We were on a cruise this weekend and purchased the DVC..Now I'm thinking its not worth it for me..I'm looking at the points schedule and the times that I can use them is the most expensive times of the year...What should I do, I'm so scared that this is really not for me...Please help me out..We purchased 225 points...

Since you have doubts, I would cancel and rethink things. It is a sizeable investment (purchase). If you do some research and find out DVC is right for you and your family, there are always new inventives (discounts) being offered. I am not sure when but you do have a deadline to change your mind. Think things through tonight and then call your rep. Remember they will always steer you in the direction of keeping the purchase. Make your decission before you call. Good luck.

You have buyers remorse! I would take a deep breath and relax.

I was on the Magic this past week and know the incentives that you got. You got 2007 and 2008 points with no dues on the 07, no closing costs, on-board credits, gift card, and the discount per point and I might be missing one other incentive.

SO, you have over 400 points to use for a first trip which will get you through the first holiday trip and once you see how it all works you will be happy you joined DVC.

Even if you decide to sell in a year you can still break even if you add up all the savings you got when you purchased.

Book a room at the Boardwalk Villas, enjoy the vacation and you will be wanting to add on points!

Only you know your financial situation and how you vacation. DVC is a good deal for some but not for others. Sometimes experience is the best lesson. If things don't work out, sell. You may loose some money, but at least you gave it a try.

Only you can say if this is for you, but because this is a big puchase, YOU have to be 100% happy with it. You have a cooling off period, use that to back out. Take the time to review everything and when you're comfortable, come back to DVC. It may be a different set of incentives though when you return, but at least you'll be completely happy with your decision. Although I think DVC guides are not pushy like other timeshare reps, DVC offers incentives that kinda make you want to decide NOW NOW NOW. A big purchase like this should not be done in haste - well unless you have lots of extra moolah laying around :)

Good luck in your decision-making!

You have buyers remorse! I would take a deep breath and relax.

I was on the Magic this past week and know the incentives that you got. You got 2007 and 2008 points with no dues on the 07, no closing costs, on-board credits, gift card, and the discount per point and I might be missing one other incentive.

SO, you have over 400 points to use for a first trip which will get you through the first holiday trip and once you see how it all works you will be happy you joined DVC.

Even if you decide to sell in a year you can still break even if you add up all the savings you got when you purchased.

Book a room at the Boardwalk Villas, enjoy the vacation and you will be wanting to add on points!

Yes we got I think all those incentives but we have to pay $320 for closing cost..They gave us 225 points for 2007 and another 225 in September, $10 off per point, $500 on board credit which we didn't use so they said we can apply to the balance on the account, $500 gift card...

I'm going to sleep on it tonight because I think we have 72 hours to cancel.. I have never stayed at the deluxe hotels that Disney has to offer we alway stay at the value or at Fort Wilderness Camping and with crusing we get great deals with the FLorida discount, last year we went in June and paid $1400 this past weekend we paid $1800 for the 4 of us..

Tomorrow morning if you still feel distraught, call/fax/letter Disney and recind. You can always buy later. If you are still interested, stick around and learn all you can before reconsidering.

That all said, we love out DVC and look forward to all of our trips. What are your travel needs? How much room do you need? How many people normally travel with you? How long are your trips to WDW?

First of all Welcome Home!. Secondly, relax. We also have 225pts at BCV and love the DVC. In a few years we are probably going to add on 50pts at AKV and KT. I think that if you stick with it that you won't be disappointed. Good luck with your decision.

I'm looking at the points schedule and the times that I can use them is the most expensive times of the year.

I'm not a DVCer (yet) but from what I can gather, this isn't true. You receive your points at a certain time but can use them anytime through out the year. You can bank one year at a time and borrow one year at a time. So even though you receive your points in Sept, you can still use them in Feb or Mar or whenever is best for your family.

And from what I can gather, the amount of points you are starting off with is awesome!

Maybe they are talking when they go to Disney is the highest points to stay there.Like Christmas and Easter.I think thats what they mean.
I'm not a DVCer (yet) but from what I can gather, this isn't true. You receive your points at a certain time but can use them anytime through out the year. You can bank one year at a time and borrow one year at a time. So even though you receive your points in Sept, you can still use them in Feb or Mar or whenever is best for your family.

And from what I can gather, the amount of points you are starting off with is awesome!

If you're not COMPLETELY comfortable with the purchase, then cancel now. You can always get back in later after doing more research. I believe you have 10 days to cancel from the date you signed on, but check your documents to be sure!

;)

Agree.. do all the research you can, then if you still feel bad about it.. get out now!

Good luck with your decision!

As another poster indicated, only you know your financial situation and whether you can afford the purchase, or whether you'll receive the greatest benefit possible from becoming a member. That being said, we closed on our DVC purchase last Sept. and I remember that feeling of "OMG, :eek: what did we just get ourselves into?" I think it's natural to feel that way anytime you are entering into a long term commitment such as this.

However, after booking our first trip (which we'll be taking this coming Aug), I realized what a great thing this membership is going to be for our family. I stopped being nervous and started feeling EXCITED!!!!:yay:

Hopefully you will start feeling that way as well, but if not, you certainly should be within the time frame to change your mind, and back out of the deal. Good luck with whatever you decide!

We felt like this after we brought in. We kept wondering if we were doing the right thing. It was quite tight financially for us, but DH has just started on a great career path and his pay will climb each year so we knew that we would be able to fly out to Florida more often. We love WDW but would never have been able to afford to stay in the deluxe resorts without DVC. We have now booked our first trip home and every time I look at pictures of the AKV I get shivers, I can't wait :cool1:

If you are used to staying at the campgrounds or at the value resorts, then maybe DVC isn't for you. I wouldn't hold on to the contract if I wasn't 100% sure, even though it sounds like you got great incentives.

I can only echo what the others have said - we LOVE our DVC!

Yes we got I think all those incentives but we have to pay $320 for closing cost..They gave us 225 points for 2007 and another 225 in September, $10 off per point, $500 on board credit which we didn't use so they said we can apply to the balance on the account, $500 gift card...

I'm going to sleep on it tonight because I think we have 72 hours to cancel.. I have never stayed at the deluxe hotels that Disney has to offer we alway stay at the value or at Fort Wilderness Camping and with crusing we get great deals with the FLorida discount, last year we went in June and paid $1400 this past weekend we paid $1800 for the 4 of us..

While "sleeping on it" consider a few things that might have slipped past you in your thoughts. If you are a frequent vistor or WDW or HHI, or Vero and while at WDW you prefer to stay in the mods or deluxe resorts, then you have to look at DVC as a way of pre-paying your acccommodations there for the next 3 5-50 years (depending on which resort you purchased into). You are basically paying for your accommodations on vacations for the next 50 years without the annual increase in rates. Of course, you will have some maintenance fes but this too is reasonable when you consider the cost of a vacation home etc.

Good luck making your decision, and I would reccomend you read as much information here on the DVC boards as you can. It will answer many questions for you. Be sure to consentrated on the stickys first.

Only you can say if this is for you, but because this is a big puchase, YOU have to be 100% happy with it. You have a cooling off period, use that to back out. Take the time to review everything and when you're comfortable, come back to DVC. It may be a different set of incentives though when you return, but at least you'll be completely happy with your decision. Although I think DVC guides are not pushy like other timeshare reps, DVC offers incentives that kinda make you want to decide NOW NOW NOW. A big purchase like this should not be done in haste - well unless you have lots of extra moolah laying around :)

Good luck in your decision-making!

I completely agree with disney0210-If you have any concerns, back out now and really consider the cost and the use you will get from it before making your decision!

We bought 3 years ago with every positive feeling about owning a piece of the magic! Since then we had a trip 'Home' to Saratoga Springs that was so nightmarish, DVC refunded our points. DVC has changed the Concierge choices yearly since we bought (with some nice resorts being deleted). Since then we've been on a waiting list for an Interval International Trade for 18 months with no success (before anyone flames me, it's for an 8 week time period for 7 different resorts world wide!). While I understand our experience is ours, if we would have known then what our experience would have been, we would have not purchased DVC. We're still hoping that there is light at the end of the DVC tunnel, but so far, we're not sure!

I wish you luck in any decision you make!:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter