Just ordered the Canon Powershot SD550....

dsnygirl2006

DIS Veteran
and I was wondering who else might have this camera and what do you think of it, :confused3 :confused3 I should probably get mine in the mail in the next week or so, I ordered it from Dell.
Thanks for any tips/advice.

Hi,
Can't really tell you to much about it since I have only had mine for about 3 weeks. Got mine at Circuit City via mail and love it. This is my first digital camera and have found it really easy to use and the few pictures I have take have really come out nice. It is easy to transfer the pictures to the computer as well.
My only problem is I read on the boards here where some people were using I Pods as extra storage for their pictures so I bought an I Pod. Well it works great for transfering the pictures to the I Pod with the camera connecter I bought but now I can't figure out how to get my pictures from the I Pod to the computer. Anybody out there have any ideas I would love to have some help. Something tells me there is another component I need to purchase from the I POD to the computer but have no idea what it is.
Enjoy your new camera I know I can't wait to get to Disney to really use mine.

dsnygirl2006 said:
and I was wondering who else might have this camera and what do you think of it, :confused3 :confused3 I should probably get mine in the mail in the next week or so, I ordered it from Dell.
Thanks for any tips/advice.

I have the SD500 (last year's model, but the only difference that I know of is that yours has a larger LCD screen on the back). We've taken a couple of thousand pics with it (literally!), and as a combination of size and performance we've been very happy with it.

Do spend time with the owners manual. We had to tweak the camera to get the settings right for a lot of the shots that we take. Unless you're planning on blowing up some shots to take to a size larger than 5x7, adjust the megapixels down to one of the middle settings; otherwise you're wasting memory space on something that you'll never notice a difference on, and we're pretty picky!

Do play with the movie camera mode...while it chews up memory, the quality is rather good for a tiny digital camera. We got back from WDW three weeks ago, and I ended up taking a bunch of mini-movies with it on some of the rides, and I was quite impressed with how they came out. I've had this feature on previous digital cameras, and in the past it wasn't worth the time.

Enjoy your Canon SD550, and feel free to ask any other questions!

Here's a shot I took with the SD500 on the last trip; note the detail and the color shading differences in a low light pic with no flash...

2-06DisneyTrip066.jpg

And here's another one. I just like the detail and the angle...

2-06DisneyTrip1stseries009.jpg

Mugg Mann said:
Here's a shot I took with the SD500 on the last trip; note the detail and the color shading differences in a low light pic with no flash...

Not that it matters, it is still a very detailed image. But to me it looks like there was flash. Noet the eyes and shadow along the left side of the tombstone.

Mugg Mann said:
Do play with the movie camera mode...while it chews up memory, the quality is rather good for a tiny digital camera. We got back from WDW three weeks ago, and I ended up taking a bunch of mini-movies with it on some of the rides, and I was quite impressed with how they came out. I've had this feature on previous digital cameras, and in the past it wasn't worth the time.

First off great pictures! What memory card/size did you use for taking your pictures in the movie camera mode? I tried mine when I got it just for fun and the memory that came in it lasted all of 1 minute it seemed. Also, how many memorycards did you use on your trip if you don't mind and about how many pictures did you take. Since I am totally new as with this digital deal I am really afraid I won't have enough memory with me when we go and since I can't figure out how to get my pictures off my I POD I need to get more memory. Right now I have the one that came in the camera and also bought a I GB SD ULTRA.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

padisneylover said:
First off great pictures! What memory card/size did you use for taking your pictures in the movie camera mode? I tried mine when I got it just for fun and the memory that came in it lasted all of 1 minute it seemed. Also, how many memorycards did you use on your trip if you don't mind and about how many pictures did you take. Since I am totally new as with this digital deal I am really afraid I won't have enough memory with me when we go and since I can't figure out how to get my pictures off my I POD I need to get more memory. Right now I have the one that came in the camera and also bought a I GB SD ULTRA.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Can't help you on the IPOD part, although as an IPOD owner the answer has to be in your ITunes program on your computer. You should be able to transfer pictures elsewhere on your computer from there, and then just delete them off of ITunes when you know they're safely elsewhere on your computer. The next time you sync up your IPOD after that, they should be wiped from the IPOD itself. I don't own a video IPOD, so I can't be more specific, but the theory of what I'm telling you should work.

We went for a 17 day WDW trip armed with two 512 cards and a couple of 128s. More importantly, we also went there armed with the knowledge of where we could get a full memory card downloaded to disc so that the card could be reusable on the same trip. (Of course, if you have a laptop, there's no problem, just download to the laptop).

You can go to;
-Main Street in the MK. They do it on the spot (it only took a few minutes) and charge about $12 bucks
-Epcot. On the spot again, and another $12 bucks or so
-Walgreens off property. They only charge $3-4 bucks BUT you have to wait at least an hour. I did this once, and it wasn't worth the waste of my time to save the money. At least in the parks I had the option of having fun instead of waiting a couple of minutes.

We ended up using the equivalent of 2.5 Gig on our trip, but we like to take a lot of pictures, and knowing I can just delete them, I experiment as well. Here's a MK castle shot taken seconds before a thunderstorm with lightning illuminating a partly cloudy sky. It's not the best resolution, but I love the lighting backdrop, and this became my computer's wallpaper for awhile.

2005DisneyTrip289.jpg

Movie mode chews up a lot of memory, no doubt about it. Try downsizing the settings to a lower resolution and you should at least double the amount of movie time. I've gotten 7-10 movies on a single 512 card, and that's without trying to fill the whole thing from scratch.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information Mugg Mann and I love that picture you took of the castle with the storm. I think I will just get another 1GB of memory and take your information on where to get my pictures transfered to CD if need be.
I figured it can't be that hard to get these darn pictures off my IPod I just have to figure out what I am doing lOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter