Just off the Wonder Yesterday

Phew....I had visions of those full blue bedspreads they show in the pictures on their official website. They need to change their photos. Lol

I've been saying that for years, that their website pics need to be updated. You would think it would hurt business for them.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Although my son (4 yr old) couldn't wait to get to kids club/lab, he did say he liked the "monster kids club" better from the fantasy. The only disappointment I had between the wonder and the fantasy was the MDR food - really didn't like the food at all on the Wonder.

Food is so subjective, I know, but I actually thought the food on the Wonder last month was some of the best I've had on our 6 Disney cruises (and about the same as the Carnival cruise we took the next week). A lot of it probably comes down to what you order, I guess. I know what to avoid now, so the things I know I would like were just done really well this time.

As for the PP concerned about the Wonder for her kiddo, my kids (10 and 7) LOVE the Wonder clubs. They've been on the Dream and Fantasy, but something about the Wonder appeals to them. It also helps that they were both allowed to self-checkout to move between the club and lab ;). But even the 10yo, who spent a lot of time in Edge, still went back to the club/lab for activities. It's still an awesome club!

Do they perform the shows twice? So that the late seating sees them as well? I looked at your navigators and it didn't look that way! New cruiser here, and we are the second seating!!!

They do shows twice. If you have late seating, you will go to the early show. If you have early seating, you go to the late show.

Food is so subjective, I know, but I actually thought the food on the Wonder last month was some of the best I've had on our 6 Disney cruises (and about the same as the Carnival cruise we took the next week). A lot of it probably comes down to what you order, I guess. I know what to avoid now, so the things I know I would like were just done really well this time.

I'm a month away from a cruise on the Wonder so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on what should be avoided!

I'm a month away from a cruise on the Wonder so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on what should be avoided!

I thought seafood in the MDR was just okay. I ordered a seafood option quite often, but I won't next time.

An important note: you can have breakfast and lunch in Parrot Cay instead of Beach Blanket. It's still a buffet, but it's not as cafeteria-like and never crowded. I think we ate at Beach Blanket only twice. It's still old school cafeteria style instead of being several stations where you walk up at any point.

you're right, it is subjective. But on this trip, I was unhappy with nearly every dish. I ordered a sirloin one night - it was inedible due to gristle and fat. I cant remember what my wife ordered the last night but we both laughed b/c instead of starch, she ordered extra veggies (greenbeans). When it came out, she literally only had THREE greenbeans on her plate :rotfl2:

I've always liked the escargot but this time I only ate one or two. I think they forget salt, garlic, and good olive oil or butter. Seemed to be just cooked in flavorless vegetable oil.

I admit I am a foodie and have never raved about any DCL food but this time it was BAD. We were not scheduled for Palo dinner but we got in the third night just so we wouldnt have to eat at Parrot Cay (where they had gristle-steak) a second time.

I've only ever been on DCL so cant compare the food to other lines, but if anything were to ever drive us away from DCL, it will be food.

Was on the same cruise. I was satisfied with the food overall (esp Palo), but was disappointed in the escargot. Needed more garlic and butter (the whole point of eating escargot for me!) and less mushrooms.

We ate breakfast and lunch most often at Beach Blanket and were fine with it. The turkey/cranberry sandwich at Goofy's Galley (?) was ok, too.
The BBQ at CC was so-so.

Was on the same cruise. I was satisfied with the food overall (esp Palo), but was disappointed in the escargot. Needed more garlic and butter (the whole point of eating escargot for me!) and less mushrooms.

We ate breakfast and lunch most often at Beach Blanket and were fine with it. The turkey/cranberry sandwich at Goofy's Galley (?) was ok, too.
The BBQ at CC was so-so.

Palo was insanely good. I also enjoyed the pizza and hamburgers at whatever the small places were on 9. . . my son loved room service chickenwings :)

MDR food was disappointing though. I also ordered a small side of the lobster mac & cheese ... that was TERRIBLE and my waiter agreed :)

Palo was insanely good. I also enjoyed the pizza and hamburgers at whatever the small places were on 9. . . my son loved room service chickenwings :)

MDR food was disappointing though. I also ordered a small side of the lobster mac & cheese ... that was TERRIBLE and my waiter agreed :)
I didn't care too much for the pizza.
My DH had the lobster mac and cheese--I was going to get it and then got the beef tenderloin(?)--I made the better choice on that one.

I should have tried to remember what else I ate at the other meals. It was all a blur. Oh, I had one of the fish dishes either at AP or Parrot Cay...it was good.

Palo was the best! :)

you're right, it is subjective. But on this trip, I was unhappy with nearly every dish. I ordered a sirloin one night - it was inedible due to gristle and fat. I cant remember what my wife ordered the last night but we both laughed b/c instead of starch, she ordered extra veggies (greenbeans). When it came out, she literally only had THREE greenbeans on her plate :rotfl2: I've always liked the escargot but this time I only ate one or two. I think they forget salt, garlic, and good olive oil or butter. Seemed to be just cooked in flavorless vegetable oil. I admit I am a foodie and have never raved about any DCL food but this time it was BAD. We were not scheduled for Palo dinner but we got in the third night just so we wouldnt have to eat at Parrot Cay (where they had gristle-steak) a second time. I've only ever been on DCL so cant compare the food to other lines, but if anything were to ever drive us away from DCL, it will be food.

I freely admit that the food in the MDRs is NOT why I cruise. I'm a slightly picky eater in that I don't care for seafood and one or two other things, like bell peppers. Chicken tends to be safe, I almost always avoid pasta (except the black truffle pursiettes, of which I had two servings ;), steak is hit or miss. I really dislike the pirate night menu and just have pot stickers as my app and entree, for example. I've managed to find a few things on each menu that make me happy, and on this cruise they were better than usual. That's not to say that they were actually that great, compared to land-based restaurants, but there was something i could stand to eat.

But to be honest, my previous two cruises I was pregnant and couldn't stand the sight of pretty much any meat on the cruise, so...maybe I was in a unique situation. The saving grace for DCL for me is that the food up on deck and through room service is great for late night snacking. So even if I don't enjoy dinner, I can grab a sandwich or cheese plate later. I don't mind that. In comparison, the food in the dining rooms on our Carnival cruises was much more varied (they have an everyday menu AND a unique menu for each night) and sometimes just better quality than DCl. But their food options outside the MDR at night are not as good. So it's a wash. Well....except the lack of chicken strips on deck probably skews me toward DCL ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter