Just off the Magic

laujac

Mouseketeer
We just sailed the 2/25 Western...other than rain at Key West... absolute gorgeous weather!!!

Just thought I would share a few things... if they have already been posted elsewhere I apologize... I have not had time yet to catch up on the boards.

Grand Cayman- This was our third Western cruise and the first time that we rented a car. I would HIGHLY recommend it. We rented a jeep from AVIS, put the top down and drove to Rum Point. The drive was much longer than I thought 45-50 minutes (I would recommend getting off the boat as early as possible) but Rum Point was well worth it.... a nice shaded beach with a beautifully calm lagoon. The rates are reasonable... $81 USD for the jeep which included all taxes, gas, insurances and drivers permit. You can get cars as cheap as $51 USD.

Costa Maya- We loved this port. Very small and unintimidating. Definately preferred this stop over Cozumel. We did a little shopping in Mahajual (SP?) and then sat by the beach... ordered a bucket of Corona (6), nachos and guacamole and chips... all for $18 USD. Word of warning... the Magic is the third ship to arrive. We got off the ship as soon as we docked and there were already large crowds everywhere. The taxi line was extremely long and the golf carts were sold out. Once in the village, getting a taxi back was a breeze.

Castaway Cay- if you have younger children the Stingray excursion is worth every penny. I reluctantly booked it... since it looked a bit lame in the photos... it was everything but. Wilson, who lives on the island and who previously worked at the Living Seas, is extremely knowledgable and very patient with the kids. My kids pet, fed and swam with the rays. They are still talking about it.

A few things on the ship... Scoops now offers wraps and light sandwiches which is a pleasant option for their "fast food". The peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from room service are now the pre-packaged smuckers ones with the crust cut off... and if you are ordering the much talked about cheese platter from room service... order one per person since they are quite small...

We are re-booked for next year... the count down begins...

Thanks for the very helpful trip information. We are going on our 1st Western in June and have booked an Avis rental. I am concerned about tendering since it seems that Disney Excursions have priority. I told Avis we would pick up at 9:00. Is that about right? How easy was it to find the Blue Iguana? And how easy was the whole process? What time did you leave to make it back to the ship? I can't wait to get to Rum Point!!!! :yay:
Also, at Costa Maya was there sufficient beach space at Mahajual even though you were the 3rd ship? It sounds like your only issue there was the taxi line but everything else was good. Thanks
Sorry about all the questions

Curious about excursions as we have booked Dune Buggy excursions. anybody know what it is like?

Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for the report. I love wraps so that is great news to me about Scoops. :goodvibes

lmok said:
What kind of excursions did you have in Costa Maya?

:rolleyes:

We did not do a ship excursion. We just jumped in a taxi on our own and went into the village. It worked out great for us... we were three adults. But if my kids had wanted to come (I could not get them out of the kids club that day!) I would have felt a bit pressured to find "beach space" in the village... again... this is because we were the last of the three ships to pull in and most prime real estate had been claimed. I would HIGHLY recommend aqua shoes if going into town to use their beach... my MIL cut her toe open on a rock when walking to put her feet in the water.

Musicgirl has posted some aerial shots of a pretty open beach... if this is Tequila Beach... this may be a good option for families since the beach front is not as crowded as the village.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter