Just off the Fantasy...

I would love to hear your review of the Dolphin encounter in Costa Maya. We are trying to plan our January trip and want to do a Dolphin experience on one of the islands. With the other things we want to do, Costa Maya is the most ideal place for us to do that excursion, but I want to make sure it's the best place. We will have a 3 year old and 2 8 year olds.

We were also on the Fantasy last week and did the dolphin excursion in Cozumel. It exceeded our expectations - we did the "encounter" excursion with our 5- and 7-year-old. The enclosure where we played with the dolphins required us to wear life jackets and stand on a metal grating in about 4 feet of water (too deep for our kids to stand - we had to hold them, let them float, or let them hold on to the railing behind us).

We got to touch the dolphin several times and each got to kiss, dance with, and pet the dolphin as it stretched vertically up to reach our hands. As I'm sure you've seen from other comments about these excursions - the pictures are extraordinarily expensive. We were able to get a CD of all of the pictures taken by the staff of both of our kids for $109. If you have someone extra in your party that can take their own pictures from the walkways, you can do that - they pay a lesser fee to be an "observer" but won't get in the water with the dolphins.

I know you were asking about Costa Maya, but hopefully this gives you a comparison of what the Dolphin Discovery package was like in Cozumel.

The Cozumel adventure sounds much like the one in Costa Maya. Our 3 year old granddaughter loved it. We were not charged to stand around and take pictures while they were in the water. I thought there was a real advantage with a little one being able to just walk to the adventure. Compared to some of the other dolphin excursions, this one was relativley inexpensive as well. Also helpful to know that they provide free lockers for all your stuff.

The whole experience is hard to put into words. We had such fun with dd and dgd. Just amazing.

One thing I have never read here before but thought it might be of interest to someone. We had dgd's hair braided on the ship early Sunday morning. Just a few hours later she broke out in a burning, red, itchy rash all over her head, neck and face. The ladies thought she might have a latex allergy and removed her braids. I think it was the "grease" they put in the hair to allow them to braid easily. Luckily I had some allergy medicine with me that had an antihistamine in it. That, and a good hair washing, made the rash pretty much go away within a few hours. Thought this might be good information for anyone with kids who are considerring the braids.

Our ship came upon a raft and small boat of Cubans attempting to reach the United States. After our Captain determined that they were not in distress, pictures were sent to the Coast Guard, who also determined there was no distress. We were required to stay and "keep watch" until the Coast Guard arrived. For approximately 2 hours, we widely circled them until relieved of responsibilty when the Coast Guard arrived. Was quite interesting.

These were the crazy things that happened. The rest was just blessings one after the other. I found myself on many occasions with a tear rolling down my face just from having such a full heart watching our dgd lierally smile and laugh all day long. By the end of the week, the characters know her by name because she visited them every time they were out and about.

If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to answer. This was our first Disney cruise, and thanks to this board, we were so well prepared for everything. Not one time did we have to say "wish we would have brought____" or "wish we would have known about______." Not once. I booked this cruise 19 months ago and studied these boards with a vengeance. I made lots of notes. I have earned my ears...thanks to all of you! And yes, we rebooked on board. We're hooked!

Beautiful!! Strange goings on for sure, but thanks for the info about the braids. I never saw about the braids...maybe wasn't paying enough attention;)

Next year we go on a family cruise w/my nieces & nephew & I'm bursting-can't wait!

I got the pillow cases (2 per stateroom) signed by the characters after leaving them at Guest Services...so tickled by that!

No one does a cruise like the Mouse House!:thumbsup2

I have also read that if braids are done too tight it can make a break out of little itchy red bumps occur. That is probably what happened.

these weren't just bumps. this was a fiery red solid rash that spread to her face and neck, headed down her back. the beads and bands are made of latex, which led the ladies to believe she has a latex allergy. because the rash was so agressive and wide spread, i'm still thinking it was the "goo" they put all over her head. just thought this would be good info since i had never seen anyone write about it before.

these weren't just bumps. this was a fiery red solid rash that spread to her face and neck, headed down her back. the beads and bands are made of latex, which led the ladies to believe she has a latex allergy. because the rash was so agressive and wide spread, i'm still thinking it was the "goo" they put all over her head. just thought this would be good info since i had never seen anyone write about it before.

Oh, ok, yeah that sounds like a reaction.

I thought they just used petroleum jelly? Which of course could make someone break out if they aren't used to it. You can have a reaction to anything if you aren't used to being exposed to it.

DGD is nearly 4 and not comfortable going to Lab/Club alone. But we did take her to the open houses. She loved it. Another fun thing was the early morning program for kids in the D-lounge. The characters show up and since there aren't many kids, they get a lot of individual attention. So fun!

Can you tell me about this early morning program in the D lounge? All characters, every morning or just all sea days, do you have to reserve it, what time and for how long?:thumbsup2

The day we caught the action in the D-lounge was a sea day. Started at 9, and I believe Mickey, Goofy and Minnie made appearances. The kids danced and sang and had plenty of time with each character. I think this particular event was called wake up with Disney Junior, or something like that. From there we went to the Open House at the Oceaneer Club. Maybe 10 kids in there, and 5 or 6 characters showed up there as well. Nice way to start the day for the kids (ok, for grammies too!)

My daughter also got braids on board the Magic last year (she was 9 at the time) and I have several pictures of her making terrible faces during the process. She didn't cry, but it did hurt. She also got the red bumps and was relieved to take the braids out a few days later. We set sail in the Fantasy next weekend and she has declared that she does not want her hair braided again!

I have pictures of my DD getting braids. It was hard to get the "grease" out of her hair. She looked so cute though!

I love reading about everyones expereinces it really helps plan our trips! We did the dolphin encounter on Cozuemel, and it was awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter