Just off the Fantasy...

ohpatric

Earned My Ears
The whole experience is hard to put into words. We had such fun with dd and dgd. Just amazing.

One thing I have never read here before but thought it might be of interest to someone. We had dgd's hair braided on the ship early Sunday morning. Just a few hours later she broke out in a burning, red, itchy rash all over her head, neck and face. The ladies thought she might have a latex allergy and removed her braids. I think it was the "grease" they put in the hair to allow them to braid easily. Luckily I had some allergy medicine with me that had an antihistamine in it. That, and a good hair washing, made the rash pretty much go away within a few hours. Thought this might be good information for anyone with kids who are considerring the braids.

Our ship came upon a raft and small boat of Cubans attempting to reach the United States. After our Captain determined that they were not in distress, pictures were sent to the Coast Guard, who also determined there was no distress. We were required to stay and "keep watch" until the Coast Guard arrived. For approximately 2 hours, we widely circled them until relieved of responsibilty when the Coast Guard arrived. Was quite interesting.

These were the crazy things that happened. The rest was just blessings one after the other. I found myself on many occasions with a tear rolling down my face just from having such a full heart watching our dgd lierally smile and laugh all day long. By the end of the week, the characters know her by name because she visited them every time they were out and about.

If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to answer. This was our first Disney cruise, and thanks to this board, we were so well prepared for everything. Not one time did we have to say "wish we would have brought____" or "wish we would have known about______." Not once. I booked this cruise 19 months ago and studied these boards with a vengeance. I made lots of notes. I have earned my ears...thanks to all of you! And yes, we rebooked on board. We're hooked!

That is awesome! What kind of room did you guys have? My family and friends are going on the Fantasy in 2014 :-) Did you go on the Western or Eastern cruise?

So glad you had a great trip!! We are just 34 days from our turn on the Fantasy, and we can't wait!! How did you like the food? Were you Eastern or Western? Did you you DGD do the kids clubs at all?

We were on the Western, will take the Eastern next. A CM told us that Puerto Rico has replaced one of the ports on that itinerary. We were in cabin 5046 with the extended balcony. It was great having all that extra space. So great that we will definitely book this cabin again.

DGD is nearly 4 and not comfortable going to Lab/Club alone. But we did take her to the open houses. She loved it. Another fun thing was the early morning program for kids in the D-lounge. The characters show up and since there aren't many kids, they get a lot of individual attention. So fun!

Oh and the food.....wasn't fabulous, wasn't awful. Had read on these boards that sometimes the food lacked flavor. We found the same thing. Be sure to have salt and pepper shakers around. We liked the breakfast and lunch food in Cabanas and Flo's much more than the formal dinig rooms.

I would be interested in hearing about your excursions while in port. Thanks in advance!! Glad you and your family had a great trip.

Our friends had the room 6690 and they had a big balcony too. They were above evolution (on the dream) Were you near the night clubs?

Shore excursions - My DH and DD swam with the stingrays on Grand Cayman while I spent some one-on-one time with my fabulous DGD on the ship. DGD, DH and DD did the "submarine" adventure in Cozumel. DGD grabbed a towel and promptly fell asleep on the floor of the boat. Most expensive nap ever! DD and DH said it was fun, and DGD woke up long enough at the end to see a few fish and shells. At Costa Maya, DD and DGD did the dolphin adventure at the end of the pier. DH and I were able to get close enough to watch them and take pictures. All excursions booked though Disney and were great choices for my daughter (a first-time cruiser) and my DGD who is only 3.

Our cabin was forward, port side. Same deck as the Buena Vista theatre, kids clubs, one floor up from the Walt Disney theatre. Very near elevators and stairs. Great location. This room, when booked, was a Cat 5. It has since been re-categorized as a 4E because of the balcony size.

Did they hand out the little streamers to shake at the sail away party? :cheer2:
It seems to be hit or miss lately; some cruises they hand them out and some they don't. They didn't for our Alaskan cruise and it makes the SAP a bit more dull. Ds12 likes to bring them home.

My DD broke out in a rash after getting braids in Cozumel. I took her to the doctor when we got back. I was told that the hair is pulled so tight, it damages the hair follicle and can cause a rash. She never wants braids again!!

We have booked the same cabin for our February cruise, great to hear that you liked it. Did you hear noise from the elevators or kids club?

I was worried about potential noise as well, but that just didn't happen. Our cabin location was great. Enjoy!

I would love to hear your review of the Dolphin encounter in Costa Maya. We are trying to plan our January trip and want to do a Dolphin experience on one of the islands. With the other things we want to do, Costa Maya is the most ideal place for us to do that excursion, but I want to make sure it's the best place. We will have a 3 year old and 2 8 year olds.

What was that experience like? And does anyone know how it compares to the other islands?

TIA

We were on the Western, will take the Eastern next. A CM told us that Puerto Rico has replaced one of the ports on that itinerary. We were in cabin 5046 with the extended balcony. It was great having all that extra space. So great that we will definitely book this cabin again.

Which cruise(s) are they going to Puerto Rico? I can't seem to find any Easterns that are going there in 2013. I would love to go there over St. Maarten. San Juan is wonderful! We have an Eastern reserved for September. But I might be willing to change for a chance to go back to San Juan.

eva said:
Which cruise(s) are they going to Puerto Rico? I can't seem to find any Easterns that are going there in 2013. I would love to go there over St. Maarten. San Juan is wonderful! We have an Eastern reserved for September. But I might be willing to change for a chance to go back to San Juan.

I think the ones in early 2013 go to Puerto Rico, maybe up til may.

I think the ones in early 2013 go to Puerto Rico, maybe up til may.

Thanks! I was looking more in the fall. That April 20th cruise is enticing. But it would be $600 more than our cruise in September. Plus, we have already reserved Aulani for 10 days in May. It would be tough trying to move everything around. Oh we'll, not sure it is worth that much to go to San Juan again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter