Just Off the Dream

sjaz22

Own at BLT
We just got off our first DLC on the 4 day Bahama cruise. For the most part, we had a great time. We were in room 9010, deluxe oceanview. Our kids, 11 (DD) and 9 (DS) loved the large window overlooking the ocean.

We found the food to be good. Really enjoyed Cabanas for breakfast and Animator's Palate for dinner. Thought that Royal Palace had the worst food of the rotational restaurants. We really liked the quick service options also, especially Eye Scream and Luigi's.

We were surprised by how much our kids loved the nightly shows. Villains was tremendous and was a highlight for all four of us.

Highly recommend the Midship Detective Agency. As mentioned on this board, Castaway Cay was incredible. Would definitely book a double dip the next time.

The service of the crew was outstanding. We are DVC owners and were amazed how the service on the ship was even that much greater than the service you get at DVC properties and in the parks. Truly tremendous.

We had two major complaints of the cruise though:

1. The pool situation is HORRIBLE! I cannot believe that for families with kids 9 and 11, the only pool you can go in is the Donald pool. I do not include the Mickey pool because it is only 2 feet deep. The Donald pool is so small. There is no possible way to swim in that pool as you are lucky to get enough space to even enter the pool. Our kids normally would spend hours in a pool, but they spent almost no time in the pool on the ship because of the lack of space. This would be a serious deterrent from us booking again.

2. We were surprised that after 11:00PM at night, unless you ordered room service, the only food option open was Luigi's pizza. All of the other counter service restaurants closed and there were no other options for people with children. Not sure why they feel the need to do this.

Follow-up questions:

* Was there any particular time in the day when the pool was less crowded/more crowded?

* You didn't mention the AquaDuck, any reviews (from you and the kids)

* How did the kids like the clubs?

* Did you play the mini-golf, thoughts?

Basically the pool was very crowded from 10:00AM-4:00PM. Even the day we were in Nassau (we did not get off the ship) was very crowded.

Aquaduck was good, both kids and adults liked it. Wait time varied from 10-45 min. Would definitely recommend you do it as you get on the ship before lunch.

Kids thought the clubs were OK. I think they were at that in between age though for the clubs. A little too old to enjoy the Club/Lab fully and not old enough for the Edge. My daughter was old enough for EDGE, but decided to do the LAB to be with her brother. They would NOT let her go back and forth between the LAB and EDGE.

Mini-Golf was 9 holes and was fun, we played twice.

Appreciate the quick response.

My understanding is they tried to improve the pool situation by putting some water areas on the top deck, but your results show that this solution hasn't fully worked.

I'm not sure what they can do to correct this now.

We just got off our first DLC on the 4 day Bahama cruise. For the most part, we had a great time. We were in room 9010, deluxe oceanview. Our kids, 11 (DD) and 9 (DS) loved the large window overlooking the ocean.

We found the food to be good. Really enjoyed Cabanas for breakfast and Animator's Palate for dinner. Thought that Royal Palace had the worst food of the rotational restaurants. We really liked the quick service options also, especially Eye Scream and Luigi's.

We were surprised by how much our kids loved the nightly shows. Villains was tremendous and was a highlight for all four of us.

Highly recommend the Midship Detective Agency. As mentioned on this board, Castaway Cay was incredible. Would definitely book a double dip the next time.

The service of the crew was outstanding. We are DVC owners and were amazed how the service on the ship was even that much greater than the service you get at DVC properties and in the parks. Truly tremendous.

1. The pool situation is HORRIBLE! I cannot believe that for families with kids 9 and 11, the only pool you can go in is the Donald pool. I do not include the Mickey pool because it is only 2 feet deep. The Donald pool is so small. There is no possible way to swim in that pool as you are lucky to get enough space to even enter the pool. Our kids normally would spend hours in a pool, but they spent almost no time in the pool on the ship because of the lack of space. This would be a serious deterrent from us booking again.

2. We were surprised that after 11:00PM at night, unless you ordered room service, the only food option open was Luigi's pizza. All of the other counter service restaurants closed and there were no other options for people with children. Not sure why they feel the need to do this.

was this your first cruise? if not, how do the Dream pools compare to other cruise ships?
we've only been on the Disney Wonder, and never got near the pools because the decks were WAY too crowded. I avoid crowds at all costs.

regarding late night food, in my opinion the lack of food is true around the clock, both day and night.
I know there is 24 hour room service, but that's not enough.
Cabanas should be open non-stop, not just certain hours.
And it should be open, if not 24 hours, then at least until 1 or 2 am.
Disney definitely doesn't match up to other cruise lines in terms of the food options available both during the day and at night.

Thanks for your experience

I too am disappointed by the pools and we haven't even cruised yet!
At least I am prepared to feel that way
We are not getting in Nassau either, so I will have to find things for my 2 kids who are 7 and 3

Odd question.....did you happen to notice if prune juice was offered?

My 3 yo boy needs a shot of it daily!
Just one less thing to pack
Thanks so much!
Annabug

This was our first cruise, so maybe this is an issue on all cruise ships.

Regarding food, we found the food options plentiful during the day, but really thought all of the counter service restaurants should be open past 11PM. Also, don't other cruises have a late night buffet?

This was our first cruise, so maybe this is an issue on all cruise ships.

Regarding food, we found the food options plentiful during the day, but really thought all of the counter service restaurants should be open past 11PM. Also, don't other cruises have a late night buffet?

there are several cruise lines with 24 hour food options in addition to room service.
Some have a cabanas like restaurant that's open 24 hours.
some have coffee houses and pizza places that are open 24 hours.

i think princess cruise lines has a 24 hour cabanas type place.
and RCCL has a cafe and a pizza place open 24 hours..

this is in addition to room service..

i like to have someplace to go to, not just eat in my room..

i think disney falls short in the food department...
and also in activities for adults....both during the day and late at night..
why can't they at least have the movie theater open in the middle of the night?

disney is definitely not the cruise line for night owls.

unfortunately, we'll be on the dream in october.
if i could get us onto the allure/oasis i would, but the timing just doesn't work for anything longer than a 4 day.

i'm hoping that concierge will make up a bit for the shortfall.

Our kids are almost the same age, DS10 DD7, and they never even went in the pools! They rode the Aquaduck 3x after boarding, and in hindsight I probably should have let them splash in the pool for a bit then, but we went to lunch and did the sports deck instead. I think you just sort of need to give up on the idea of the pool--even when empty it's really only big enough to splash around. We just told the kids that this isn't really a pool vacation, and we would do other things.

On Nassau day we also didn't get off the ship--my daughter and I barely made it outside that day! DH took DS to do Aquaduck a bunch of times while DD and I did the princesses. Then we spend an hour doing the Detective Agency (GREAT!) and then we did a nice lunch in Royal Palace followed by kids clubs for kids and Rain Forest room for us.

THe pool decks were just wall to wall people on Nassau day, so I did't mind skipping them. The kids REALLY loved the clubs, but DS was also right at that in between stage. He was unhappy when open house was in the lab and they needed to move to club--really not a lot for him to do there. But he had a really good attitude about it--never called us, just decided to stick it out until he could go back to lab. He really loved the Pirate video game.

One regret we had was not taking the wave phones on Castaway Cay. I didn't think they'd work. The kids kept BEGGING us to go to Scuttles for sand soccer, capture the flag, etc so we finally left them a little before 1. We went to Serenity Beach and came back to get them around 2:30. They were not happy--only VERY little kids there that day so they didn't do any of the planned activities. I felt really guilty!! They weren't there too long, but in hindsight, I'd always bring a phone because I think that club really depends on the other kids who go in.

Happy to answer any more questions!

Our kids are almost the same age, DS10 DD7, and they never even went in the pools! They rode the Aquaduck 3x after boarding, and in hindsight I probably should have let them splash in the pool for a bit then, but we went to lunch and did the sports deck instead. I think you just sort of need to give up on the idea of the pool--even when empty it's really only big enough to splash around. We just told the kids that this isn't really a pool vacation, and we would do other things.

On Nassau day we also didn't get off the ship--my daughter and I barely made it outside that day! DH took DS to do Aquaduck a bunch of times while DD and I did the princesses. Then we spend an hour doing the Detective Agency (GREAT!) and then we did a nice lunch in Royal Palace followed by kids clubs for kids and Rain Forest room for us.

THe pool decks were just wall to wall people on Nassau day, so I did't mind skipping them. The kids REALLY loved the clubs, but DS was also right at that in between stage. He was unhappy when open house was in the lab and they needed to move to club--really not a lot for him to do there. But he had a really good attitude about it--never called us, just decided to stick it out until he could go back to lab. He really loved the Pirate video game.

One regret we had was not taking the wave phones on Castaway Cay. I didn't think they'd work. The kids kept BEGGING us to go to Scuttles for sand soccer, capture the flag, etc so we finally left them a little before 1. We went to Serenity Beach and came back to get them around 2:30. They were not happy--only VERY little kids there that day so they didn't do any of the planned activities. I felt really guilty!! They weren't there too long, but in hindsight, I'd always bring a phone because I think that club really depends on the other kids who go in.

Happy to answer any more questions!

how was the rainforest on nassau day? crowded?

Hi--not empty, but certainly not crowded. We went after lunch, and at that time all but like 1 or 2 loungers were full but there was no one in the hot tubs!! So we sat in the empty hot tubs overlooking Atlantis, the beaches, etc! In hindsight, I would not bother with it again. I just don't think there's much to do in there. But it's certainly not expensive and it was really nice to sit in the hot tubs. They had some of the windows open and there was a nice breeze and you sort of felt outside. It was relaxing. And then I went to check out the adult section of the cove pool and it was wall to wall to bodies--so Rain Forest room was much better in that respect!

Oh--we did get on loungers later and there was no one in the steam rooms.

We just got off the same Dream cruise. We were also a little disappointed on the late night food options. I was use to a midnight buffet on other cruise lines. Royal Palace for breakfast was our least favorite, but we did enjoy the dinner there our first night. We never got the chance to eat at Cabanas, but I too wish it was opened throughout the day and not just select times. It seemed odd for food choices to be limited to room service if it wasn't breakfast/lunch/dinner time.

Though I did remember to order Mickey Bars from room service ;)

Hi--not empty, but certainly not crowded. We went after lunch, and at that time all but like 1 or 2 loungers were full but there was no one in the hot tubs!! So we sat in the empty hot tubs overlooking Atlantis, the beaches, etc! In hindsight, I would not bother with it again. I just don't think there's much to do in there. But it's certainly not expensive and it was really nice to sit in the hot tubs. They had some of the windows open and there was a nice breeze and you sort of felt outside. It was relaxing. And then I went to check out the adult section of the cove pool and it was wall to wall to bodies--so Rain Forest room was much better in that respect!

Oh--we did get on loungers later and there was no one in the steam rooms.

yes, on our sea day on the wonder it was wall to wall bodies, so i can imagine that on the Dream it would be much worse.

i'm glad that we're planning on getting off the ship in nassau.
Last time we stayed on the Wonder, but the number of people who stay on the dream will make it just like a sea day. We'll have a sea day, so better to break that up by getting off the ship. Too bad i hate nassau, but better to do something than for my mom/sister to figure out that we're paying way too much money for not that great a ship experience (we're in concierge, so it's really really really a lot of money :eek: :eek: :eek:)..

we're going to the graycliff and then to the straw market...probably will only take us 2 hours - but it will get us away from the madding crowds..

was there a midnight dessert buffet? I can't remember if we had that on our 4 night Bahamas cruise or the 7 night western caribbean.

We took our first DCL cruise last month, and I totally agree with you regarding the pool situation. We had a five night double-dip, so we didn't spend that much time at the pools on the CC days. We did stay on board on the Nassau day, and the ship was pretty empty. Little to no wait for the Aquaduck. However, the pool situation on the at-sea day was truly painful. The Donald pool was so full it seemed dangerous. Then to top it off, they closed that pool from 3-4:30 in the afternoon for "scheduled maintenance." Now, we didn't believe for a minute Disney would close one of two available pools at the busiest time of day on the busiest day of the cruise for maintenance, but obviously someone had an "accident" or something in the pool, which then had to be cleaned. :eek:

There were no midnight buffets on the 4 day Dream. After 11:00PM your only food options were Luigi's for pizza or room service. And one night we ordered cookies and milk at night and it took 45 minutes to arrive at our room! They really need to look at the food options again.

There were no midnight buffets on the 4 day Dream. After 11:00PM your only food options were Luigi's for pizza or room service. And one night we ordered cookies and milk at night and it took 45 minutes to arrive at our room! They really need to look at the food options again.

i vote for keeping cabanas open 24 hours/day... like on princess..
of course that would totally screw the people in the cabins right below cabanas! :eek: :eek:

We just got off our first DLC on the 4 day Bahama cruise. For the most part, we had a great time. We were in room 9010, deluxe oceanview.

Not only were we on the same ship, but I was right below (room 8010) :)
I agree with your review. I was shocked at how crowded the pools were, but they didn't affect us much. The adults used Quiet Cove and the kids used the pool at Vibe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter