Just off the Dream- we won't be back any time soon

We got off the Dream today as well. We didn't mind, but my wife and I also commented on the very slow service at dinner. We had early dinner, arrived exactly at 5:45 every night but never left before 7:45. On 3 of the 4 nights, they turned up the lights in the dining room (basically a "time to leave" signal), while we were still eating dessert. We aren't slow eaters either! It wasn't a big deal to us, since we were talking with friends, but we did notice the delays.

I know Enchanted Garden had fruit on Wednesday morning for breakfast, but that was the only time I ate fruit for breakfast so not sure about the other days!

Overall, we had a great time and will be back again.

You can also get fresh fruit for breakfast, lunch or snacks at Fillmore's Favorite's, Deck 11 Aft. That's the place that also has Panini sandwiches and wraps.

I couldn't find fruit at breakfast

this caught my eye! one morning i walked that whole buffett end to end to end!!!! i SAW people with fruit salad!! it HAD to be there!!!!! there was some bananas, whole fruit in a couple spots.... finally found fruit with the desert/yogurt type items in a case that you ask the server for what you would like? no bowl of fruit salad or the like i could find!!

Everyone is different on how long to take for dinner, but with our experience last year, was our head server thanking us for our relaxed attitude and taking our time eating and enjoying good conversation with our tablemates. He said we were more like Europeans than Americans!

I agree with both of you:thumbsup2 I love the whole experience of dinner on vacation, were the ones who some probably think are overdressed. I never get to see my DH in a suit or in khakis and a nice shirt,unless were at a funeral.He's in construction so it's work clothes and boots. It is nice not feeling rushed to eat dinner, at home I usually rush right through and immediately start cleaning the kitchen. When we go out we usually feel rushed because we still have to get groceries. Plus the food is GREAT and I didn't have to cook it;)

AMEN!! me too!:lovestruc

Fruit at Cabanas can be easy to miss because they designed the buffet incorrectly. The fruit is in a glass class and you need to tell a server how many pieces of each fruit you want unlike the Magic and Wonder where you went down the line and picked your own.

We were on back to back and learned that the meal pace is directly related to your server. Our first servers were terrible. Second cruise amazing!

We are Platinum and other than the B2B Dream always cruised on the Magic. The Dream has some major faults that DCL is aware of and many changes will be made on the Fantasy. I agree with the OP, based on our B2B cruises WE would not cruise on the Dream again until changes are made but are looking forward to getting back onboard the Magic and then Fantasy next summer to see if the changes make a difference.

Fruit at Cabanas can be easy to miss because they designed the buffet incorrectly. The fruit is in a glass class and you need to tell a server how many pieces of each fruit you want unlike the Magic and Wonder where you went down the line and picked your own.

We were on back to back and learned that the meal pace is directly related to your server. Our first servers were terrible. Second cruise amazing!

We are Platinum and other than the B2B Dream always cruised on the Magic. The Dream has some major faults that DCL is aware of and many changes will be made on the Fantasy. I agree with the OP, based on our B2B cruises WE would not cruise on the Dream again until changes are made but are looking forward to getting back onboard the Magic and then Fantasy next summer to see if the changes make a difference.

I am very curious too to see if they fix the Fantasy. We were on the Dream only a month or so after they started sailing. We had slow and not quite as attentive service as we have had in the past. We were dissappointed but knew that they had a whole new crew. But the servers we knew already spoke to us and explained that they designed the restaurants for the wow factor and didn't consult the actual Wait staff at all. Things were set up poorly making it very difficult for the wait staff to be efficient. They did say that they knew within days of training the new staff that they had to make changes for the Fantasy. I hope they do because it was our one dissappointment.

I will say to the OP sorry you didn't have a good time. You should defnitely have had plenty of fruit on the ship. I am sure that if you had asked you would have been shown it but Cabanas is in my opinion a bit confusing. It also sounds like you only gave two nights a try at dinner so possibly you missed the "Good" experience at a "good" restaurant. Most likely it was your server but the Restaurants make a difference too in how quickly you are served. I would have been miserable too with tablemates I didn't know or like. Don't hesitate to ask to be moved if that happens again (on any ship)... you may have gotten a better server. Really it is one of the great highlights of Disney Cruising. So sorry for those who have gotten poor service. It puts such a damper on it.

Hope you try the Fantasy for a longer cruise. I really don't find the 4 day cruises all that relaxing anyways.

For those who are worried about meals taking too long for their family- just let your server know and they will try to accomodate your needs.

This is great advice. We were on the Dream 8/16-8/21. After we finished our rather long dinner the first night, our server asked how his timing was and did we have any preferences. Our kids are ages 8 and 6 and were always eager to finish dinner to get to the Oceaneer's Club, so we told him we'd prefer a bit quicker pace to our meal. He was more than happy to oblige us. And by no means were we speed dining; dinners still took about an hour.

I too, missed the fruit at Cabanas, couldn't find it. While looking for my husband (after eating breakfast because we got separated and couldn't find each other) I was walking out of the restaurant there was a case with fruit at the front of the restaurant. It's not with the buffet lines.

Cabanas is an option each night of the cruise (possibly they may have changed the last night) but on all my cruises it has been all 4 or 7 nights. The menu of the evening is from one of the other dining rooms as well as a steak and chicken service. We usually do this option at least once.

Also, while early dining may be inconvenient with its start time versus day activities, it is great in regards to getting you out of there quickly as the dining room must be turned over for the next serving. Early has never taken more than 1 1/2 hours for us while late has taken up to 2 1/2 hours.

Unfortunately, Cabanas isn't open for dinner on the 1st and last night, so on a shorter cruise it's only an option 1 or 2 times.

This is great advice. We were on the Dream 8/16-8/21. After we finished our rather long dinner the first night, our server asked how his timing was and did we have any preferences. Our kids are ages 8 and 6 and were always eager to finish dinner to get to the Oceaneer's Club, so we told him we'd prefer a bit quicker pace to our meal. He was more than happy to oblige us. And by no means were we speed dining; dinners still took about an hour.

We were on the same cruise, and our server also asked us about our preferred dining pace. We told him that we like to take our time and enjoy some wine with our meals, and all our rotation restaurant meals were perfectly timed - never rushed or feeling like we had to wait. We really like to linger over food though, we were among the last to leave at Palo brunch, Palo dinner and Remy... :blush:

I'm so sorry for those who didn't have the same great experience. Feeling like you're 'stuck' in a dining room for two hours every night must be a nightmare if you have lots of other things you want to do. :sad2:

Charlotte

Cons:
Ship was difficult to navigate
Lack of food choices- I couldn't find fruit at breakfast at all!
Rotational dinner took 2+ hours every night. This was a huge turn off and the reason we will not be returning soon. We skipped dinner in lieu of the cabana sit down meal on pirate night. We skipped our last dinner entirely in order to attend the show, pin trading, and See Ya Real Soon. If they offered dinner service every night in Cabanas we would skip the MDRs entirely. There is nothing pleasant about being stuck with 4 strangers while waiting on food for 2 hours.

I know you were excited from the thread...sorry it didn't live up to your hopes entirely and glad you did see positivies. This was our sixth cruise and I will say the classics are just a tad easier to navigate but there were maps all over the ship and signage and plenty of staff around to help if you had any questions along with the floor guides. I got turned around a couple times but felt it was my own fault for not paying attention.

As for meals - there was fruit available at all dining options for breakfast, primarily sliced, but if you requested whole from a dining team member at the restaurants or Cabanas, you could get it. It was always available at the quick service areas the rest of the day. (I know this because we discovered my daughter loves sliced cantaloupe and whole bananas.) Our niece has severe food allergies and the staff always made sure her mom knew ingredients both at Cabanas and in MDR. In general, I don't think it was difficult to find anything - MANY more food options than in the past - but you just have to be willing to ask.

It sounds like you might have been on the late dining, which in the past for us was indeed two-hour dining experiences. With early dining, the service was quick but didn't feel rushed because they needed to get everyone fed and the MDRs ready for the late seating. We had three kids and five adults and were finished by 7:15 PM every night and were able to get to every show and activity we wanted (and we were usually one of the last families out every night). We enjoyed being with family of course but to we always enjoyed meeting other families on previous cruises but it's all in one's perspective. I did notice there are a LOT more four-person dining tables than larger ones where they put you with others on this ship.

Maybe a classic ship is more suited for you. If you do return to DCL, as other posters have said I would just recommend you ask for what you want...family-only table in advance and on board after boarding (especially sending the form in that was mentioned - they will be sure to accommodate any special needs), specific dietary requests ie the fruit by asking someone, tell your server when you want to be out by at dinner. I know from experience with RCCL that DCL will bend over backwards and make reasonable requests happen and will help guests any way possible.

We just got back from the Dream. Overall I would call it a good trip, but seriously not worth the premium paid

Pros:
Awesome room steward
Fun ship/sea activities
Nice adult area (no kids tried to use it!)
AWESOME stage shows.

Cons:
Ship was difficult to navigate
Lack of food choices- I couldn't find fruit at breakfast at all!
Rotational dinner took 2+ hours every night. This was a huge turn off and the reason we will not be returning soon. We skipped dinner in lieu of the cabana sit down meal on pirate night. We skipped our last dinner entirely in order to attend the show, pin trading, and See Ya Real Soon. If they offered dinner service every night in Cabanas we would skip the MDRs entirely. There is nothing pleasant about being stuck with 4 strangers while waiting on food for 2 hours.

How funny, this is exactly why I love to cruise! It's not about the food it's about the family time. We always request a table to ourselves though as I would not like to spend my family time with strangers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter