• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just off the Dream! I'll try to help with questions

Will you be posting pictures? Any info would be great such as wait times at the port. Best place to have breakfast and lunch. Your experience on any excursions you booked. Did you try out the spa? What activities did you enjoy at Castaway Cay?

The port was a little chaotic. If you have small kids... try and keep them close. Towards 11:00- 11:30 it was almost shoulder to shoulder people waiting to board. Have your paperwork ready and check in as soon as possible once you get there. They will take your photo at the check in counter which will pop up for the security teams each time you get off or on the ship. Security was smaller than an airport but very similar. You'll leave your luggage at the "curb" with porters who will get it to your stateroom later that afternoon. We had all of ours before dinner. Your carry on will go through a scanner just like at the airport.

Remember your boarding group number they assign you at check in. Make your way towards the big "mickey ears" within 2 or 3 groups of your boarding group. It will take you that long to get there.

Once boarded the staff will try and funnel everyone to Cabanas but just for that reason ~ we headed to Enchanted Garden. It was indoor seating and a smaller buffet but that's what we were okay with. Cabanas has a MUCH larger buffet. It does have inside seating but comparatively a lot of people would sit outside and eat.

There is so much food on board and it's everywhere! If you prefer the simpler "kid friendly food" like chicken strips, burgers, fries...etc I'd suggest the counter services on the pool deck. If you prefer something a little more then Cabanas was our "go to" spot.

I did not get to the spa on this voyage.

All our excursions on CC were cancelled due to weather. (parasailing and jet skis) A huge storm rolled in on us on our CC day. However, it was the BEST thing that could have happened. Our cabana host told us not to worry "there's a breeze".... we didn't really know what that meant until about 30-45 minutes later when the storm had blown through and the sun came right back out. By then, about 50-60% of the passengers had scurried back to the ship and the island freed up immensely. :) Twas awesome! So, if you get weather or the weather forecast seems ominous.... don't fret! Just check for a breeze :)

I can not strongly enough suggest a cabana. We got so VERY lucky and got a cabana the day before we sailed. They sold out immediately and I tried for weeks to catch a cancelled one. I finally starting asking people on the boards and the Facebook boards to let me know if they had one they wanted to share costs on or perhaps had to cancel that I could buy...etc. and it paid off ! It made a HUGE difference in our CC day. I would also suggest walking the paths and just breathing for an hour or so. There is so much to do and so much to see that I felt the need to just STOP and soak it in for a bit.

The DH and DD took a kayak out and LOVED it.... DH, DD and DS went snorkeling and "OMG loved it". I stayed behind to relax in a hammock and then migrated to a chair placed strategically in the ocean almost waist high - perfectly positioned to see the ship and the family beach. It was a stunning view from behind the straw of a frozen fruit drink. :)

Can you give an example of the free items from the Shopping Talk? I wasn't planning to go ashore in Nassau this time, but is it worth the trip ashore just for those items?

Can you give an example of the free items from the Shopping Talk? I wasn't planning to go ashore in Nassau this time, but is it worth the trip ashore just for those items?
You bet!
Del Sol gave each of us a tote bag that changes color in the sun :)
One jeweler gave us charm bracelets. There was only one charm out them for (Nassua) but Hannah gave me one to add to it for the Dream. (We inquired what they were made out of and the salesperson said brass - so no swimming with that one)
Columbian Jewelers gave us sling backpacks
Milano/Mirago (can't remember the name for sure) gave away Nassau medallions for pendants. I didn't like them so we skipped it. They looked similar to an old/historical coins of some kind.
Di International gave a free tanzanite necklace with any purchase. I'll try and add a photo if I can figure out how..LOL
Another jeweler (I believe TI International) gave us a free birthstone type pendant and for $10.00 they included a pair of matching earrings. (DD swiped those sets for souvenirs for her girlfriends at home)

IMHO it was worth the trip ashore. We also had another purpose for Nassau..... my son turned 18 just before this trip. The legal drinking age on Nassau is 18 so we had his first "legal" drink at Hard Rock.

DisBoards says my pics "are too large"... I can email them to you if you'd like... just let me know.

I'm interested in the shopping talk as well. I've done two on the Dream but went to Atlantis both times so I've never really walked around/shopped but planning to do that in March…thanks for the help!
Hi TinkerbellLuvr.... the shopping talk was good. It got a little boring and Hannah can be cheerleader like in nature but once she mentioned tanzanite my ears perked up and decided to go ashore to check it out. At the very least the free items were worth it - in my opinion.

Any hints from the shopping talk? Now I may attend as I wouldn't have previously. Looking for some reason to get off the ship in Nassau in Oct. :)
Hello Plethera1 ... I posted a reply regarding the shopping below... :) In my opinion it was worth it. It's just the gauntlet of hair braiders and taxi/tour guides you need to get through. One thing I learned from the shopping talk is everything in Nassau is negotiable. Everything.

Yay! I will be looking forward to reading your review. I'm traveling alone with my girls. I MIGHT have a group of coworkers join me on this trip though. If I get a chance to book a cabana as a group that would definitely be great. Have a safe flight home!!
I am so excited for you (and quite jealous) I wish we could go back but promised a friend a Bulgaria trip next summer.... :) See my review below. I barely touched on Castaway Cay because that could be an entirely new novel. Just LOVED LOVED LOVED it !!!!

Thanks Bambi! I know I'll need a crowbar to get my boys (5 and 10) out of the kids' club, what with Disney Infinity and the Star Wars stuff. I will just have to use that time without them to live it up at Satellite Falls!

A very random question for anyone who knows -- what outfit does Minnie wear on optional formal night? When we were on the Dream a few years ago, it was a white gown. My daughter loves to dress up and loves characters and were talking about whether we should try to match or coordinate with Minnie when we are back this August!

All our excursions on CC were cancelled due to weather. (parasailing and jet skis) A huge storm rolled in on us on our CC day. However, it was the BEST thing that could have happened. Our cabana host told us not to worry "there's a breeze".... we didn't really know what that meant until about 30-45 minutes later when the storm had blown through and the sun came right back out. By then, about 50-60% of the passengers had scurried back to the ship and the island freed up immensely. :) Twas awesome! So, if you get weather or the weather forecast seems ominous.... don't fret! Just check for a breeze :)

We were at Serenity Bay, so I didn't see the change, but I suspected that would happen. SB was EMPTY and one of the cabanas were never used. The cabana came in real handy when it rained. Paid for itself right there.

Afterthought.....
We opted to pay for a private car to take us to the DCL port on the morning of our cruise instead of waiting for the Disney Cruise Line bus to come to the resort we were at. IT WAS SOOOOO WORTH IT! We got to the port by 10:15 am and were on board before noon. While some other members of our party weren't even getting picked up from WDW until 1:30 pm. They didn't get boarded until almost 3PM. We'd already eaten lunch, drank and been through Aquaduck twice before they got there. Once we booked it - we had the travel agent cancel our transfers to the port and we were refunded $35 per person. We paid $160 (plus or minus) for an SUV to drive us from WDW to DCL early. Just be sure to change your port arrival time once you book it.

Good tip, thanks!!!! Do you have any recs for car service? Did you use Happy Limo per chance? (used this once, they were great). I always wondered how much longer it takes the bus than it would be to use other transportation. Sounds like you really saved a lot of time and were able to make more time for fun!

Good tip, thanks!!!! Do you have any recs for car service? Did you use Happy Limo per chance? (used this once, they were great). I always wondered how much longer it takes the bus than it would be to use other transportation. Sounds like you really saved a lot of time and were able to make more time for fun!

As an alternative, we rented a Grand Caravan from Avis, picking up the Hilton on Hotel Plaza Boulevard and dropping off in Cocoa Beach, 10 minutes from the port, for $74. They have free shuttle service.

We used happy limo. I found them on Mousesavers. It wasn't a limo but an suv. It was much more comfortable and we were able to stop at a grocery store for last minute supplies.
I'd do it again - no question!

A very random question for anyone who knows -- what outfit does Minnie wear on optional formal night? When we were on the Dream a few years ago, it was a white gown. My daughter loves to dress up and loves characters and were talking about whether we should try to match or coordinate with Minnie when we are back this August!
Still the white dress.

Hi, I was wondering what it is about the cabanas at CC that you feel was important to try for? Is it just for the shade?

Hi, I was wondering what it is about the cabanas at CC that you feel was important to try for? Is it just for the shade?

That's a big part of it for us. On Serenity Bay it wasn't as important from a crowd perspective, since there were a lot more families and Serenity Bay was fairly empty. But when we go in the fall, there are a lot more adults traveling without children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter