Just off the Dream! I'll try to help with questions

Bambi D.

Earning My Ears
It was a fabulous vacation on a most excellent ship.
You know you are on a beautiful ship when each time you are in a port, cruisers from the other boat get off their boat and take pictures of the DREAM.
The ship was truly beautiful and the staff could not do enough to keep us smiling.
Castaway Cay was most definitely the highlight of the cruise!
GET THE CABANAS if you can! It makes a WORLD of difference.

Will you be posting pictures? Any info would be great such as wait times at the port. Best place to have breakfast and lunch. Your experience on any excursions you booked. Did you try out the spa? What activities did you enjoy at Castaway Cay?

First.... we actuator slept in! There is so much to do and see we felt the need to get up every morning but purposely slept in on our sea day. We played games in the D Lounge and scored a mixology class in the afternoon. (Pay service coordinated by a travel group).
Other than that we just explored the ship and shopped. The gift shops on board are required to be closed when the ship is in port so this was the best time to go.
Nassau....
I wasn't even going to go ashore but decided to go to the shopping talk on board and I'm glad I did. We walked the ships and collected all the free items (made one decent "mom" purchase) and then headed to hard rock cafe for a quick drink and appetizer.
We were back on board by 2 and preferred room service to snack before swimming.

Will you be posting pictures? Any info would be great such as wait times at the port. Best place to have breakfast and lunch. Your experience on any excursions you booked. Did you try out the spa? What activities did you enjoy at Castaway Cay?
I will certainly get some pics up and a raving review... :)
We are actually still on the bus back to the airport so doing it from my phone is challenging. Should be home late tonight. :)
TRY TRY TRY for a cabana at CC. we got lucky and we're able to get one.. THE DAY BEFORE OUR CRUISE.
It's worth every penny! (And I'm a Scrooge).

Yay! I will be looking forward to reading your review. I'm traveling alone with my girls. I MIGHT have a group of coworkers join me on this trip though. If I get a chance to book a cabana as a group that would definitely be great. Have a safe flight home!!

Did you have any kids with you? We're taking our second Disney cruise in November (first time on the Dream) and taking DS10 (he went with us before on the Wonder when he was 4), DS5 (first cruise) and my parents (first Disney cruise, but they're cruise veterans). I have kid questions.

Did you have any kids with you? We're taking our second Disney cruise in November (first time on the Dream) and taking DS10 (he went with us before on the Wonder when he was 4), DS5 (first cruise) and my parents (first Disney cruise, but they're cruise veterans). I have kid questions.
I'm not the OP, but I think it's safe to say lots of us can try and help with kid questions. I've been on the Dream twice with DD.

Thanks, TestingH2O, I'll start by reading your trip reports! and searching the boards. I haven't been here in a long time. Bambi, looking forward to your report!

Any hints from the shopping talk? Now I may attend as I wouldn't have previously. Looking for some reason to get off the ship in Nassau in Oct. :)

Just read TestingH2O's cruise #2 report, and I have questions!

The last I read, muster on DCL was inside a theater. Is that not the case anymore? What is it like?

Is Satellite Falls only for concierge, or is it for anyone? Is it adult-only or open to families?

Your muster location depends on where you stateroom location is. There are many different muster stations, including on the deck by the life boats, in the night clubs, in the theater, in a dining room....

willijen, as stated by ahain muster stations are scattered about. You can wind up inside a theater or lounge, or you may be out on deck 4. You can read the back of your stateroom door once you get inside to find out how to get to your muster station.
Satellite falls is not just for concierge but is on an 18+ only area of the ship.:smooth:

Satellite Falls is for adults only. There is a somewhat similar are called the funnel puddle on deck 12 that is open to families. It overlooks the adult pools and was never crowded.

I wish our muster had been inside again, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm interested in the shopping talk as well. I've done two on the Dream but went to Atlantis both times so I've never really walked around/shopped but planning to do that in March…thanks for the help!

Hey All,

We got off the Dream yesterday and I've just got to share some things. Sorry about the length but I can't stop sharing... LOL

The shopping talk was full of information. The first time I went to Nassau - I was completely turned off by the condition of the island and the barrage of hair braiders and taxi drivers all wanting/needing your business. Some would even follow us for a few minutes trying to convince us to take their tour of the island. It was a little intimidating for me on my first visit - but this time I was more prepared. It truly is a gauntlet to get through but I didn't feel that we were in any danger - just a plethora of "no thank you's".

I had originally thought I wouldn't bother getting off the ship but then went to the shopping talk just before Muster. First let me say that I am sure a particular set of stores/shops pay a fee in order to be promoted on board the Dream. I am not so naive to believe otherwise. That being said, most of these shops offered a free "something" just to get you in the door. They had a detailed map of stores which were numbered so you could find your way around and they very ''gingerly" talked about what areas/streets to avoid. (I got the impression they were not safe - but one could interpret it as simply as the direction away from the stores that they were paid to promote).

My ears and eyes perked up when they brought up tanzanite. It has become my new obsession over the last 5-7 years. So - I stayed focused on those stores. I sent the teens off with the map and a list of the free things they could collect as souvenirs for their friends and extended family members if they wanted. The jewelers at DIamonds International were nice. I stayed within my budget and then the pressure was ON. I left feeling good about sticking to budget but a little beat up with the end of sale pressure to "upgrade" my purchase.

The jewelers at TI International were much better. By the time I got to their store - I had wished I had went there first. If you shop in the stores promoted by the Dream - you may leave your purchases at the stores and pick them up on the ship that evening before dinner. I took advantage of this option as I felt I would be a walking target if I were to carry those bags through Nassau. Both stores had free drinks while you shop.... :) We opted for water due to the heat but I saw Mai Tai's and sodas being handed out to the others shoppers.

The shopping talk will give you special VIP cards to take with you but I didn't find much use for them. Just keep name dropping "Kyle & Hannah" and they will get the picture. I'm guessing they rely on Kyle and Hannah to keep sending people their way so they seemed to pay closer attention to us.

Other Nassau :
We stopped at the Rum Cake Factory - Tortuga. DH is a HUGE rum cake fan so it was a must. The ladies in there were not personable but helpful nonetheless. We keep forgetting that not everyone is a cast member... :)
We wrapped up Nassau with a stop at the Hard Rock for the traditional Hard Rock glasses with Nassau, Bahamas on them. Food was good, service was better than the Rum Cake Factory but still nothing compared to what we could get on our ship. We were back on board around 2PM which was plenty of time for room service while we showered and then off to top deck for drinks and socializing.

MUSTER:
Our muster station was in one of the theaters. This was VERY fortunate for us. Some of our party was out on the deck - packed in like sardines and it was HOT outside. We went early and were afforded an actual seat which helped with DH's nerve pain and DVT issue in his leg. We were very grateful for the seats and air conditioning. Our only hold up was "the Davis Family" who apparently never showed up. We sat in there for what seemed like forever while they kept trying to locate them on the ship. PLEASE go to muster when you're supposed to - it holds up everything when someone doesn't show up on time.

Shopping:
The shops on board are only open when the boat is not in port. SO - if there is something you want or need (sunscreen) or that DOONEY that I never bought - get it while at sea.

Drinks:
I did not find the alcohol to be diluted or light handed in anyway. They did a very good job with the drinks and the prices were no more than you'd find in a local pub.

Other Tips:

We never went to dinner before our seating time. In fact, we generally showed up about 5 minutes late and usually walked right in or waited on one other party in front of us.

BE READY TO Wait - If you are looking for photo's with all the characters possible - be ready to wait. Lines form before the characters even get there. Some of the dads in our party complained that their entire cruise felt like one waiting line after another. Our kids are older and were able to wait in their own lines... :)

BRING A WATCH! - waterproof preferably. We purposely shut our cell phones down and locked them up once we boarded the ship to prevent them from being misplaced, water/sand damaged...etc. There is not a single clock to be found ANYWHERE on the ship besides your stateroom. We spent DAYS not knowing what time it is... LOL. The problem you ask????? Everything on the boat is on a schedule. meals, character spots, shows, games.... everything is on schedule and they are not messing around... :)

Brush up on your '80's music! We played the most fun game EVer in Evolutions. (probably because of our age) It was '80's music challenge or something similar to that. It was similar to "name that tune" but done in a bar - team setting. SUCH FUN! One of the challenges was one man from each team (1/2 of the bar was team and the other 1/2 was the other team) had to come up and do their best Tom Cruise / Risky Business impersonation. Wouldn't ya know it...... but each of those guys stripped down to their "under WEAR" (leaving their shirts on) and just about nailed it.... (except the first guy wiped out and quickly struck a pose on the floor)... it was hilarious and so much fun!!! The host of the game couldn't even talk he was laughing so hard.... SUCH GOOD FUN! (After this game Mike Super did a more intimate and "adult" magic show for a much smaller crowd than the theater filled with our children) This magic show was much better :)

Dining:
The food was superb. We are kind of "beer and pizza" people and some of the food we didn't even recognize. We just told our servers that we were a little lost in the menus and they were happy to "dumb it down" for us :)

We also watched "Match Your Mate" in Evolutions. Similar to "Newlywed Game" it was fun to see how the hubby's answered and it was clear who was going to sleep on their verandah that night... :)

We skipped Golden Mickeys but watched Villains and Believe (I preferred Believe to Villains - but both were Grade A)

The magic show with Mike Super was LAVENOUS.... (you'll understand that word if/when you go to the show)

To summarize ~ the ship is BEAUTIFUL. Some (like me) will never get bored just strolling the decks (with a fabulous drink) and looking at the art, the views, the details in the ironworks.... it's just an awesome work of art made to carry a LOT of Disney lovers.

Sorry for the novel but it's so fresh in my mind.... Castaway Cay is whole other NOVEL .. LOL

If there is anything more specific you'd like to know - let me know... if I experienced it, I'm glad to help.

Just read TestingH2O's cruise #2 report, and I have questions!

The last I read, muster on DCL was inside a theater. Is that not the case anymore? What is it like?

Is Satellite Falls only for concierge, or is it for anyone? Is it adult-only or open to families?
We LOVED Satellite Falls....! It is for all adults. We also spent a lot of time at Cove Pool and Currents just above the Cove Pool. It was peaceful. We took our 17 year old daughter in there and no one questioned her. She looks old enough and recognized how to behave herself as to not be asked to leave so it wasn't an issue.

The smaller kids that were in our group never wanted to leave their clubs. Their parents (our friends) had to bribe them with photo ops with characters. Disney caters to all guest but most particularly the children. I would strongly suggest convincing them to go as soon as possible once boarded. It will make a HUGE difference in their experience for them and YOU.
PS - Don't miss the crab races at Castaway Cay.... SO much entertainment for us adults :)

Afterthought.....
We opted to pay for a private car to take us to the DCL port on the morning of our cruise instead of waiting for the Disney Cruise Line bus to come to the resort we were at. IT WAS SOOOOO WORTH IT! We got to the port by 10:15 am and were on board before noon. While some other members of our party weren't even getting picked up from WDW until 1:30 pm. They didn't get boarded until almost 3PM. We'd already eaten lunch, drank and been through Aquaduck twice before they got there. Once we booked it - we had the travel agent cancel our transfers to the port and we were refunded $35 per person. We paid $160 (plus or minus) for an SUV to drive us from WDW to DCL early. Just be sure to change your port arrival time once you book it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter