• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just off the Dream 3-day

JenniG99

Earning My Ears
My family and I just got home from our 3-day Dream cruise today. Since reading on the forums was a huge help for me as I was planning, I just wanted to offer to answer any questions about the Dream. This was my first Disney cruise (been on plenty of others before), and I was cruising with my husband, 4 and 2 year old sons and my mom and dad. Ask away! :)

My family and I just got home from our 3-day Dream cruise today. Since reading on the forums was a huge help for me as I was planning, I just wanted to offer to answer any questions about the Dream. This was my first Disney cruise (been on plenty of others before), and I was cruising with my husband, 4 and 2 year old sons and my mom and dad. Ask away! :)

I hope you enjoyed your cruise. How warm was the water at Castaway Cay?

I'm going next month with my ds 5 and dd 3. Did you get off in nassEau? What activities did they like to go too?

Castaway Cay was LOVELY! It was a bit chilly and overcast when we left Port Canaveral, but we couldn't have asked for a better day (which also happened to be my birthday!) when we docked at Castaway. I think it was in the 80s and pretty hot temperature-wise, and the water was chilly, but we all got in despite being very wussy Floridians who don't do cold. :) Really depends on your preferences.

We did NOT get off the ship in Nassau. I'm not too fond of it as a port, and especially didn't want to try it with little kids tagging along. The boat was still pretty crowded, so I think a lot of people followed suit.

The boat was nearly empty on Castaway day, by the way. We got back on the ship around 1 and were able to do the Aquaduck in 15 minutes once and 25 minutes the second time. By 3:00 the wait was up to 60 minutes!

Speaking of the Aquaduck, that was DS4's favorite part of the cruise. He was literally JUST tall enough (he was right at the marker, and the CM said if he could slide a credit card under his head, he would have to say no, but thankfully it didn't go under!) and was pretty nervous about it, but after I told him we could go get ice cream after if he was brave, he went with his Dad and has a blast! Then he and his Grampy went for a second time, and I think he would have gone over and over again if not for the lines.

As for activities, we didn't do much with the kids club. DS4 is a bit clingy, so he wasn't wild about being dropped off there by himself and DS2 was too little to go. We took them for Open House on the first day and they LOVED Andy's room, but we weren't too thrilled with the number of computers (a zillion!) in the Club. If we left it up to them, that's all they would have played with the whole time, and we would rather have them doing something more interactive. I'm sure the planned activities were great, just couldn't convince DS4 to stay! :)

They both really enjoyed dinner in Animator's Palette with all of the Nemo rigamarole. The other two restaurants were harder to keep them quiet and amused. Overall, I was very impressed by behavior of all of the children on board. Considering how many kids there were in those dining rooms, there were surprisingly few meltdowns...until night 3 and sheesh, there were a ton of them, including DS2! :)

The Golden Mickeys show on the first night was a big hit, but the Villains show on night 2 (despite DS2 always loving the "bad, bad witches" and "big, big dragons" in any movie we watch) scared both of them and we ended up leaving early because there were "hairy" (scary) witches. Hubby and I went to the third show solo while my parents watched the boys. We also went to see Frozen, but DS4 got cranky after about 20 minutes and left with his grandma, and DS2 fell fast asleep, so I just watched it myself with my sleeping guy and loved it. :) At least we didn't spend a fortune to see it in the theater!

They loved the Nemo splash area and DS4 went down the ray slide about 50 times in a row, and the Mickey pool was a big hit. I liked how shallow it was so I wasn't as stressed out about taking them both in by myself. (Donald pool is deeper)

We were very disappointed by the ridiculously long lines to visit with all of the characters. I was hoping it would taper off by the last day, but the line for Mickey on night 3 was the longest one I saw! We only saw Minnie (maybe 20 minutes in line) and Santa (my parents waited in that one for almost an hour!), but thankfully the boys were happy just waving at the others as we walked by. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it was Disney after all and lines are just par for the course, but I really thought that part would be easier!

The onboard mystery was lots of fun! DS4 insisted on going to ALL of the paintings despite it saying we wouldn't need to see all of them to solve the mystery (we didn't) and I'm glad we did because otherwise you would miss out on "catching" the villain. We only did the Missing Paintings (because my feet hurt after walking all over the ship!) but if you did one on the first day and the other one on the third day, you would be fine. It was a great way to get to know your way around the ship, too. DS2 was equally as amused, and Hubby and I thought it was fun, too.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more if you have other questions!

Thanks do much for the great review. I am also concerned dd3 will not go to the kids club but we will adjust if so. I'm glad you mentioned that about the villains show. We might skip it because my kids were pretty scared of the Halloween parade and show in oct at WDW. We are from ohio so the water will hopefully be perfect for us.

I have a question for those of you on this sailing.

We were on the Norwegian Epic parked right next to you in Nassau......... looking wistfully over at you and wishing I were sailing with you instead of where I was ;)

We watched you sail out of the harbour in Nassau and then you basically stopped right outside the harbour for a very long time. We had a show to see at 7 so we had to stop watching.

Anybody know what was happening that made you stay there for so long. We thought it was very unusual.

I didn't really think the Villains show was that scary, personally (it was actually pretty funny!) but there were some spooky effects and loud sounds that made my guys nervous. DS2 and Hubby left first, followed by DS4 and me a few minutes after. Might still be worth a try, just sit somewhere it's easy to escape.

Oh and another tip on the shows. Try to sit in the bottom section as close to the middle as possible so you can pop the bubbles that fall from the ceiling, catch the "Golden Mickey" confetti that falls on night 1, etc. It's hard to get one of those good seats! We were a few off the aisle on the right side, and we thankfully could still get the Golden Mickeys but the bubbles were a bit far away! If you are underneath the balcony (we sat there on night three so we could scoot out at the end and make it out to guest services before the line got crazy again) or on the balcony, your kids will miss out on this fun stuff. Also, if your little ones can sit on one of the aisles, they might get a hug from one of the princesses on night one (Rapunzel went right past us, but we were a few seats in) or a Mardi Gras necklace on night three. Every night the performers were out in the aisles interacting with the audience.

Regarding Nassau departure, we were sitting at dinner and just barely noticed that we were moving (we thought another boat was moving past us, but then realized we were the ones moving). I didn't even notice we had stopped! As far as I know, we had a pretty uneventful journey.

I have a question for those of you on this sailing. We were on the Norwegian Epic parked right next to you in Nassau......... looking wistfully over at you and wishing I were sailing with you instead of where I was ;) We watched you sail out of the harbour in Nassau and then you basically stopped right outside the harbour for a very long time. We had a show to see at 7 so we had to stop watching. Anybody know what was happening that made you stay there for so long. We thought it was very unusual.

I have no idea! We were also on that sailing and didn't notice we were not moving!

My kids were eyeballing the Epic! I think we may need to spring for a cruise with the more sportsy interactive features next time! They loved AquaDuck but want a wave simulator.

Might still be worth a so, if your little ones can sit on one of the aisles, they might get a hug from one of the princesses on night one (Rapunzel went right past us, but we were a few seats in) or a Mardi Gras necklace on night three.

My 9 year old hasn't taken the purple Mardi Gras beads off!

If you are underneath the balcony (we sat there on night three so we could scoot out at the end and make it out to guest services before the line got crazy again) or on the balcony, your kids will miss out on this fun stuff.

What are you trying to get in line for at guest services? You talking about leaving early, do you mean from the shows?

we definately weren't stopped in the water. But we were probably going very slowly. If I am not mistaken Nassau is 60 miles from Castaway Cay and you all night to get there.

What are you trying to get in line for at guest services? You talking about leaving early, do you mean from the shows?

That line was crazy from 9pm to well after 11pm. And they have the oddest questions and they want to pay off their bill and yes itemize while at the desk. The goal would be to get the purchases and pictures, drinks done by the time dinner is over and hit the line in between the dinner and the show. Or, 1am is a great time and 2am is even better. And yes, they were discussing paid tips. Are they not all signed on to this site? lol:confused3:confused3

we definately weren't stopped in the water. But we were probably going very slowly. If I am not mistaken Nassau is 60 miles from Castaway Cay and you all night to get there.

Yes you do sail very slowly to Castaway Cay but the ship never just pulls right outside the harbor and hangs around there for more than an hour(that was how long we sat and watched). Generally they move further out to sea and then slow down.

It was just very strange to see it there for so long.

We had a gift card that we needed to get them to add to our account at guest services, and I didn't think to do this before the last night. Everything was MOBBED when there were people around before and after the shows and dinner, so we snuck out right at the end of the show so we could make it over to the line before the masses came pouring out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter