• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just off our first and counting down till our next

han1211

Earning My Ears
DW and I just returned from paradise on the Wonder. We did a 3 night from March 4th through the 7th. We parked at a park and ride near the airport and arrived at St Louis International (Lambert Field) at 5:45 for our 6:50 boarding and cruised through security in about 15 minutes and walked to our gate where we relaxed while eating some Cinnabons, funny how they have sprouted up everywhere. Our short flight to MCO was without incident and we were on the ground around 10:30.
We walked out of the terminal and were loaded on a bus headed to Port Canaveral within minutes of landing. We arrived to the Disney terminal about 11:45 and checked in as a first time cruiser. This was our first DCL cruise, we had cruised on RCCL once before.
The check-in was fast and easy. We then waited in line for about 5 minutes for them to begin boarding the ship. We boarded the Wonder around about 12:15 and were in line at the buffet in Parrot Cay before 12:30. What a difference between the 2 cruise lines. WOW Disney has its stuff together.
After a massive meal we wandered around the public areas until we could go to our room, which was available after 1:30. At 1:30 we went to our stateroom, 7631. Not bad for an inside room. We booked Cat 11 with GTY. We got a HUGE room; it was bigger then most because it is for handicapped passengers. Neither DW nor myself needed the special room, but we were happy to have it. We unpacked then explored the ship some more.
At about 3:50 we headed to our stateroom for the emergency drill. We had to sit in Animators Palate. Very nice, compared to packed in like sardines on the deck like RCCL does. We were back in the stateroom no later then 4:25 and put away our Vests and headed to Deck 9 for the Sailing party. What a blast it is to see all the kids having fun. Not long after 5:00 we were sailing. Around 6:00 we dressed for dinner then headed to the Walt Disney Theatre for the nights show, Hercules. It was great, the Cast was amazing, and Hades and his sidekicks were a riot. We then went down to Parrots Cay again for our rotation was PTA (Late) sat at table 23. A huge table, but we were just a couple, so DCL put us with other small groups. Our Waiter and assistant waiter were awesome. We had a fine meal and explored some more, but mostly we were beat. So we headed to the stateroom and locked the door. :tongue:

Around about 8:00 am, we woke to Mickey Mouse on our telephone. We had an excursion planned for Nassau where we would explore some of the Historic Forts around the city. Since we would be forgoing dinner at Tritons, we had Palo Reservations for this night, so we had Breakfast there. It was fabulous. We even got to meet Belle (my favorite Disney Character) After a great start to our day we headed to the Cadillac Lounge to get with the rest of our tour.
Nassau itself is a beautiful, and we had done the whole Paradise Island thing once before and really wanted to see some of the history of Nassau. The Tour was great. We saw Fort Fincastle and the Queens Staircase as well as Fort Charlotte and Cable Beach. Our driver dropped us off near the straw market and we headed to Hard Rock Café for a quick meal. Good thing they are sprouting up everywhere. We then explored some of the city on foot. We found a great Museum about Nassau’s Pirates. It was very nice. I highly recommend it to everyone. pirate:
We headed back to the ship for our 3:00 appointment at the Spa. We had booked a Romantic Escapes Package so this was for both my DW and me. It was amazing. I had never been to a spa before, nor had I ever had a massage of any kind, other then when DW is feeling saucy. I can’t wait to do this again.
We then sat around the Quite Cove pool for a bit and DW read a book and I swam. We dressed for our Dinner at Palo’s around 6:00 and headed down to The Theatre to see the Golden Mickey’s. What a great show, I don’t think anyone watching it could leave with out feeling his or her eyes water. We headed to Palo’s for our Dinner and had a marvelous time. I don’t think I have ever had a better cut of meat. We weren’t ready for bed after dinner and “Hidalgo” was just starting at the Buena Vista Theatre, so we watched it. It is nice to have premiering picture show at sea. We headed up to our stateroom and saw Dian, our attendant, arranged it magnificently. She arranged our towels like swans in love and spread rose petals all over our bed. It was beautiful.
We arranged for our Champagne Breakfast to be on CC day. So at about 8:00 a room service attendant brought up our breakfast. After eating, my bride and I decided it was too early so we went back to bed.
Around about 10:45 or so we finally got up and headed out to CC. Serenity beach is great for adults to escape the noise of kids. But after discovering the BBQ stand did not have Lobster Burgers, we headed to Cookies. What a great spread. After hearing all the kids and beginning to miss ours all the more, we headed back to the ship. We got back aboard about 1:30 and saw that “Master and Commander” was about to start in the Buena Vista Theatre. We had wanted to see this for a while.
After the Movie we headed down to get ready for Dinner once again. We then headed to our final show in the Walt Disney Theatre. How sad. L What a great way for DCL to say goodbye. Disney Dreams is a magnificent show and should not be missed. We had our final Dinner at Table 23 in Animators Palate and ate very well once again. After dinner we headed up to our Stateroom for our last night. We were all packed and had our bags out the door by 11:00 and were off to dream land.
We woke up about 7:00 and headed up to the Beach Blanket Buffet for a quick breakfast. We ate then headed ashore. We grabbed our bags and checked them in for our flight back to STL right there at the Port. The American Airlines Agent was very helpful. We got on the Bus and headed to the airport. Our flight wasn’t until 6:50, so we rented a car and spent the day at the Magic Kingdom. What a way to end a marvelous long weekend.
:happy1:

Thanks so much for your post han1211. It sounds like you and your DW had a wonderful time. I think I would find it very difficult to go without our kids. We were on our first DCL cruise last Nov. and the four of us had a blast. Maybe for our 25th Anniversary in 2006!

Karen from NJ

Glad you had such a wonderful time and I hope you'll have another trip soon.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does GTY mean in regard to your room? We are planning a cruise and was just curious . Thanks.

Good question, we did not know either till we read on the boards here. It means Guarenteed a Room. We did not have one assigned to us until our docs were sent. MOst times, when you are booking your cruise, you get a room assignment right away.

Sounds like you had a really nice time! :)

Thanks for taking the time to write a report!

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you and DW had some special time together.

Thanks for the report. DH and I also have only cruised once before and that was also with RCCL.(It was for our 25th anniversary) It was nice to hear your comparisons of the 2 crusie lines. We loved RCCL, so I am sure DCL will be a dream come true.

I am glad you both had such a magical cruise! We are taking our DGD who is 3 yrs old. She "Lubs da Big Boat!". So excited I'm about to burst!!

Thanks for sharing your memories and for making our wait much more tolerable!!

Good trip report! I enjoyed reading it... sounds like u had a "wonder"ful time... :Pinkbounc .. I liked ur lil faces to.....lol:tongue: pirate:

Thanks for the report! We are going on the Wonder for our first ever cruise on May 20th! Can't wait!!!!

Donna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter