• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just off Dream... Disappointed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you happened to have quoted a post that was deleted your post would have been removed. Nothing wrong with your post but if it quoted a post in question the whole post gets deleted.

MJ

Gotcha :)
Thanks for the explanation.

I was a bit disappointed in the dining room dinners. I don't eat cooked vegetables. I wasn't able to get raw ones at any of the dinners-I asked every night. I also asked for the kid's menu almost every night to see if they ever got raw vegetables or sweet potato fries (was really looking forward to them) but never saw them listed.

Next time you might want to list this on your ressie so they can have veggies for you!

If OP had originally said she was vegetarian but she couldn't eat mushrooms (not that unusual of an allergy), it wouldn't have seemed as restrictive as listing out the meats/seafood.

I totally second the request for a vegetarian menu update! Though I do get the ribs on pirate night hehehe (I used to be veggie, but now I just don't really like most meats....except those ribs).

Another tip: the buffets in Topsiders, etc., almost always have raw veggies as in a salad bar. I always take baggies with me when I travel, so you could simply stop by there, bag some up and keep them in your fridge/cold box in your stateroom. Makes nice snacks to bring to the shows and movies on board as well.

We are on Weight Watchers and we found an abundance of good, healthy options on the pool deck of the Dream. There were fresh fruits, various salads, wrap sandwiches and more...and we often order the cheese and cracker platter from room service in the afternoons, too.

good to know!!

i'm very restricted - i can't eat anything processed, so i'm limited to fresh food....
it's good to know there are fresh fruits on board...
that will probably sustain me for 4 days.

i wonder if they have skim milk. Between fresh fruit and skim milk, i'll be fine.

good to know!!

i'm very restricted - i can't eat anything processed, so i'm limited to fresh food....
it's good to know there are fresh fruits on board...
that will probably sustain me for 4 days.

i wonder if they have skim milk. Between fresh fruit and skim milk, i'll be fine.

Yes, they do have skim milk on board! We have ordered it from room service, and I am pretty sure I have seen it at the buffets at Topsiders, etc. If we order coffee for the room in the morning, I usually order a couple of skim milks to keep in our room fridge for use that day. :)

Aren't those just show bands? Disney hires show bands too.

I'm not completely clear on what you mean by "show" bands. All bands put on shows, some as the primary act, others as backing for stage productions.

I don't think Disney uses any instruments for their main production shows[

You are correct, they do not. All the music in their showroom productions is recorded - just like at their theme parks. The good news about that? 100% consistency. The bad news? No spontaniety or improvisation whatsoever.

but from my understanding other cruiselines will have a few instruments in the pit along with the tape music.

Not on any of the lines I listed previously (Carnival, Celebrity, Cunard, Holland American, Norwegian and Princess). I am a trained, active musician so I always notice the details of any performance I go to. On all those lines, shows in the main theatre are backed by a live ensemble. Recorded audio is only used for special effects. The sizes of the ensembles vary, but you always have a bassist, keyboard player, guitar and several brass and woodwind players. The largest showroom groups I have seen have been on Carnival and Celebrity, each with about ten to twelve musicians.

Here's the music employment section for Disney:

Musicians:
Provides one-of-a-kind Disney entertainment. Those interested in becoming a Musician (Piano Players, Show Bands, Duos, Trios, and Quartets only) and/or be a Specialty Act (with a minimum of 72 minutes of material),

Thanks, again on my three DCL cruises the only staff I saw in these roles were trios doing relatively bland covers (certainly not "one-of-a-kind") by the adult pool, a decent pianist in the atrium and "dueling" pianos in a club. As stated before, that is somewhat sparse compared to most other lines I've been on, where a broad range of live music is a key focus of the entertainment offerings.

. . . Not on any of the lines I listed previously (Carnival, Celebrity, Cunard, Holland American, Norwegian and Princess). I am a trained, active musician so I always notice the details of any performance I go to. On all those lines, shows in the main theatre are backed by a live ensemble. Recorded audio is only used for special effects. The sizes of the ensembles vary, but you always have a bassist, keyboard player, guitar and several brass and woodwind players. The largest showroom groups I have seen have been on Carnival and Celebrity, each with about ten to twelve musicians.
I would add Royal Caribbean to the list of cruise lines that use a live ensemble for the production shows and headline performers.

The ensembles I've seen on multiple cruise lines also have a drummer.

Woody

On the slightly off topic of entertainment, I really wish Disney had some ballroom/latin dance lessons/opportunities. DH and I LOVE going dancing and the DCL ships are VERY lacking in this area.

I can see your point, but ........(yes theres always a but:lmao:).I find most food experts are like wine experts.............they feel they are the only ones who can offer a opinion that is worth anything!.WRONG!

Food like Wine is very subjective..........I really dont care what the experts say.......to my mind and the folks we travel with and many who have posted on the diz, the DCL food and for that matter most of the lines is good to great eating.

AKK

When Conde Nast Traveller polled more than 28,000 of its readers in 2012, the top large cruise ship overall was the Disney Magic. Second was the Celebrity Eclipse, third best was the Disney Dream and fourth best was the Disney Wonder.

Celebrity Eclipse had the best food of any large ship and Disney Dream had the second best. The next best large ships for food (in order) were Clebrity Solstice, QM2, Celebrity Equinox, Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Oasis of the Seas and Sapphire Princess.

While many on this board may be blinded by pixie dust, the belief that Disney ships provide superior food/dining experience among ships of similar size is not unique to those posting here. -- Suzanne

When Conde Nast Traveller polled more than 28,000 of its readers in 2012, the top large cruise ship overall was the Disney Magic. Second was the Celebrity Eclipse, third best was the Disney Dream and fourth best was the Disney Wonder.

Celebrity Eclipse had the best food of any large ship and Disney Dream had the second best. The next best large ships for food (in order) were Clebrity Solstice, QM2, Celebrity Equinox, Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Oasis of the Seas and Sapphire Princess.

While many on this board may be blinded by pixie dust, the belief that Disney ships provide superior food/dining experience among ships of similar size is not unique to those posting here. -- Suzanne

A. A magazine poll is not the same as the opinion of a professional critic or a group of amateur gourmands; the audience simply isn't the same.

B. If you conducted a poll to determine whether Macaroni Grill, Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory, or Red Lobster had the best food, it might determine who had the best food, but it wouldn't mean the food was good.

Is it possible that Disney is the depressing best of the lot in the mainstream cruise category outside of Celebrity? I guess, but I'm still not going to complement it.

I can see your point, but ........(yes theres always a but:lmao:).I find most food experts are like wine experts.............they feel they are the only ones who can offer a opinion that is worth anything!.WRONG!

Food like Wine is very subjective..........I really dont care what the experts say.......to my mind and the folks we travel with and many who have posted on the diz, the DCL food and for that matter most of the lines is good to great eating.

AKK

I'll go with your analogy...I drink wines from Costco in the $6-15 range, for the most part. Usually I'm very happy with them. For people with similar levels of experience with wine, I'm happy to offer my opinion of what I'm drinking--but I wouldn't assert that my opinion should or does mean anything to a oenophile who regularly quaffs bottles of Chateau Lafite- Rothschild!

Your opinion on food--like my opinion on wine--is worth something to people who share a similar set of experiences, palate, and expectations. As is mine.

I would add Royal Caribbean to the list of cruise lines that use a live ensemble for the production shows and headline performers.

The ensembles I've seen on multiple cruise lines also have a drummer.

Woody

Thanks for noting my omissions of drummers, which yes are always in ensembles for the main productions in showrooms. My husband is a drummer and he still references one we saw in a showroom band on a cruise we took on Carnival over a decade ago. He says that particular drummer was one of the best he ever heard and that his fills --especially in upbeat numbers -- were incredible.

Here is one from the showroom Band on the RCI Navigator of the Seas:

2bcda9f4c7c62cd01ee28466a040b1c8.jpg

I'm trying to think of what they could provide for someone who doesn't eat seafood, red meat or chicken. They should have provided vegetables if asked. And if there was pasta on the kids menu, not sure what difference that makes; I'm afraid I don't see the major objection to ordering from the kids menu, although it appears the OP expected something to be made especially for her rather than being told to look at the kids menu. Thinking there are other food preferences the OP didn't mention or the staff was really confused if all they could find to eat on the Dream was soup and pizza.

TDC Nala said:
I'm trying to think of what they could provide for someone who doesn't eat seafood, red meat or chicken. They should have provided vegetables if asked. And if there was pasta on the kids menu, not sure what difference that makes; I'm afraid I don't see the major objection to ordering from the kids menu, although it appears the OP expected something to be made especially for her rather than being told to look at the kids menu. Thinking there are other food preferences the OP didn't mention or the staff was really confused if all they could find to eat on the Dream was soup and pizza.

The kids menu only has mac and cheese or pizza ... Mmmmmm lovely for a whole week, NOT!

I've decided I'm definitely going to speak to the catering manager this cruise and ask why the menu hasn't changed in over 5 years for the veggies. I know it's not his decision, but he may be able to provide the answer.

Adults can order off kids menu with no issue. A guest can order from adult and kid menus at the same time. The staff will try to accommodate the guests when possible. Our table asked for a curry dish and it was provided the next night. I love the crab cakes ( don't know why ) and I usually have them 3 or 4 nights of the cruise and my son loves only Creme brûlée for dessert and he gets it every night. I'm shocked that better service and more accommodations weren't made since we have never had issue.

I read a similar poll where travelers voted on everything from their overall favorite ship to ships that offer best excursions. In the food category......none of the DCL ships made the top 10. Some people like DCL food while others do not. I personally enjoyed a FEW items on my 5 night cruise while other items I found mediocre at best. The items I did not enjoy, I simply sent back for something else or just didn't eat them. :)

Adults can order off kids menu with no issue. A guest can order from adult and kid menus at the same time. The staff will try to accommodate the guests when possible. Our table asked for a curry dish and it was provided the next night. I love the crab cakes ( don't know why ) and I usually have them 3 or 4 nights of the cruise and my son loves only Creme brûlée for dessert and he gets it every night. I'm shocked that better service and more accommodations weren't made since we have never had issue.

If you were not familiar with DCL or with this board you may not know that you can request a curry dish, crab cakes, creme brulee, etc. every night when it is not on the menu. Sometimes the servers are super busy or are just unwilling to bend over backwards like the servers you hear about on these boards. :)

Ha :) true, but I've only joined the board recently and we've been sailing with special requests since 06.

The kids menu only has mac and cheese or pizza ... Mmmmmm lovely for a whole week, NOT!

I've decided I'm definitely going to speak to the catering manager this cruise and ask why the menu hasn't changed in over 5 years for the veggies. I know it's not his decision, but he may be able to provide the answer.

The kids menus I've seen have more than just mac and cheese or pizza offerings.

The everyday offerings were:
Mac & Cheese
Mini Burger
Cheese Pizza
Chicken Strips

Then each day there were different other things on the menu:
Spaghetti & Meatballs
Sirloin steak
Veggie lasagna
Port chop
Baked cod
Veggie wrap
Pasta w/mushroom sauce
Fish nuggets
Turkey w/gravy
Mozzarella sticks w/ tomato sauce
Roasted filet of beef
Pasta w/alfredo sauce
Surf & turf (sirloin steak & grilled shrimp)
Salmon filet
veggie cutlet w/tomato sauce
Meatloaf
Breaded turkey breast w/ tomato sauce
Pasta & veggies in a cream sauce
Pasta w/marinara sauce
Roasted chicken breast w/gravy
Veggie croquettes
as well various soups & appitizers

:cutie:

The reality for the OP is that the vast majority of the 3000 guests aboard DCL eat chicken, beef and seafood, so the menus obviously cater to the majority. If someone makes a personal life decision to be a vegan or vegetarian, the further reality is that it is a lifestyle choice which results in complications at meal time (and this is true whether it is a purely personal decison or one made for medical reasons). The cruise line uses its limited resources deciding between making the vast majority of passengers happy at dinner service, or the relative minority - and ultimately chooses the majority.

My guess is that menus haven't changed for "veggies" in the last five years because there is no calling or need to make any changes given the relatively small number of guests who fit into this category. Again, there are negative consequences involved for choosing (or needing) dietary fare that is unique or not shared by the vast majority of the paying guests. Having said that, I have seen passengers approach head servers and even individual chefs in both the buffets and rotational dining rooms to explain their specific dietary restrictions and, so long as enough lead time is given to the kitchen, I have seen DCL (and other cruise lines) do whatever it is possible to accommodate their individual guests.

To criticize the food on DCL because one does not eat what nearly every other guest aboard the ship does appears a bit unfair and shortsighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter