Just Made My Reservations... Thoughts?

ptsst7

Earning My Ears
Hi Guys.. Just made reservations for a group of 9 for the following restaurants (all for dinner) this coming March. Its going to be 3 couples each with a 3 year old!

The Crystal Palace (Sunday)
Sci-Fi Drive in Theater (Monday)
Shutters (Tuesday)
Chef Mickey's (Wednesday)
Ohana's (Thursday)

I have never been to any of these restaurants.. any feedback is much appreciated.

I'll be the first to jump in!

Get rid of Shutters. Eat anywhere else but there :)

Otherwise... it looks good!

I'll be the first to jump in!

Get rid of Shutters. Eat anywhere else but there :)

Otherwise... it looks good!

Oh wow.. so Shutters is no good? We picked that one cause we're staying at CBR and we're going to Animal Kingdom that day.. thought it would be convenient at the least....

Hi Guys.. Just made reservations for a group of 9 for the following restaurants (all for dinner) this coming March. Its going to be 3 couples each with a 3 year old!

The Crystal Palace (Sunday)
Sci-Fi Drive in Theater (Monday)
Shutters (Tuesday)
Chef Mickey's (Wednesday)
Ohana's (Thursday)

I have never been to any of these restaurants.. any feedback is much appreciated.

I've never eaten at Shutter's so can't comment on the food, but it does sound convenient! You could try an AK TS if you plan on being there all day - we like Yak and Yeti.

Honestly, I would be cautious about Sci-Fi Drive In for dinner with 3 year olds - it is fairly dark and the film can be sensory overload for some children, plus the food was really bad the last time we were there. We have taken my DS there twice when he was 3 and 4 - it was not successful. I would look into another TS at DHS. We really enjoy HBD even with young children. It's very relaxing and the food is great. My DS faired much better there!

We love Crystal Palace! Chef Mickey's food is not so great, but both restaurants are so much fun. Just be prepared, the buffet lines can be LONG so be prepared to tag team with your spouse or other adults to get your food, seconds, etc. Buffets are so tricky with little ones!

I think O'Hana is a fabulous choice. It's a great combination of a relaxed atmosphere, fun games for the kids, good food AND table service. So much easier than a buffet with little ones.

Have a great time!

Crystal Palace and Chef Mickeys are great choices! 'Ohana for breakfast is lovely and great fun- however we didn't like the dinner much- but I believe a lot of others do enjoy it. Great entertainment for kids, too!
I would steer clear of the Sci Fi Dine In. We ate at it in August and the food was bad. My six year old brother had nightmares after seeing the 'scary' clips on the screen. :lmao: I would try Hollywood and Vine or Mama Melrose instead- Prime Time cafe is meant to be good but we haven't been.
Good luck! :goodvibes

PLEASE steer clear of Shutters!! We thought they would be a convenient stop on our last trip too, but there really was nothing convenient about it. The service was AWFUL. The waitress was short with us and basically felt like she wanted to be anywhere in the world but there. And the food was not good at all. In all honesty, it was without a doubt the worst Disney food I've had.
Everything else sounds good, although I've never been to Sci-fi. Looks like a really cool place, though! From what I hear your best bet is with the hamburgers.
O'Hana is hands down our favorite character meal. Stitch is a riot and I love that it's not a buffet so there's no worry with trying to time your food trips. Enjoy!

Also, I don't know if it fits in your schedule, but if you're going to Animal Kingdom that day, you may want to think about Yak and Yeti. We went for lunch in August and LOVED it. The Tusker House breakfast is very good too and has decent character interaction.

Looks great! Like others have said, Shutters needs to go.... many options in AK that you could hit up or head over to AK Lodge and go to BOMA! You will love Ohana, and the 2 character meals you have scheduled. Have a blast, should be a great trip.

The Crystal Palace (Sunday) N/A
Sci-Fi Drive in Theater (Monday) Love this place. good shakes & burgers :)
Shutters (Tuesday) N/A
Chef Mickey's (Wednesday) going there NEXt Saturday! Excited to try as well
Ohana's (Thursday) It is hit or mis honestly GL!

Happy to help!

I know I've said this a zillion times, but the hallmark of Disney restaurants is inconsistency. (There ARE exceptions, but IMO, few.) We've only eaten at Shutters and Sci-Fi once each, but the food was fine both places. Would I rather have Boma than either place, sure. But if you have a night when you want a convenient meal at CBR (which we did, before turning in super early before a race), give it a shot. If you think it's totally inedible, send it all back and hit the food court. Sometimes you just want to grab something and be done. And my kids liked Sci-Fi at 4 and 6, but younger might not--you know the kids in your group best.

I have not done Shutters but my inlaws have and they did not like it either. I second the suggestion of Yak-n-Yeti or Boma...we liked those places. I love all your other choices. We did Sci-Fi when our twin girls were young and they loved it. Ohana for dinner is one of our family's faves and a must do for us. We did Chef Mickeys the very first trip we had the dining plan...when our kids were young...and we liked it and can't understand all the bad reviews. We have not yet done Crystal Palace, but want to...it's on our list to try (along with Garden Grill, Kona, Kouzzina, Via Napoli, Yachtsman, Tusker House, Citricos, Raglan Road, 50's Prime Time, Chefs De France). Gosh...we have so many still to try. Good luck and enjoy!

If I was in your shoes, given my past experiences at these restaurants, there isn't 1 on your list I would go to.

If your basing things purely on food, the only one we have had a decent meal at is Sci-Fi. The problems with the food at the other restaurants ranges from having hot dishes served cold (CP), the food being dry and over-cooked ('Ohana), the dishes being very bland (CM) and just having an overall subpar experience (Shutter's).

If your basing things on experience, I would drop Shutter's and Sci-Fi. As others have said, Shutter's is pretty bad, even if it is convenient for you. While Sci-Fi has the all around best atmosphere and theming of all the restaurants, IMO, may not be the best for your particular party. As others have said, it's dark in there and small kids may be freightened a bit from the trailers. However, if you ignor the food aspect of the meal you can't really go wrong with either character meal and you may enjoy the atmosphere at 'Ohana (although we find it to be really loud and obnoxious).

I would dump Shutters and 'Ohana - very bad food at both.

DO NOT get rid of Sci Fi!!!!! We LOVE this place!!! We have a 4 and 1 and 1/2 year old boys. We just ate here in Sept and the boys LOVED sitting in the cars watching the cartoons!! They were not scared, even though they were scared of some of the "darker" rides. If you like shrimp have the shimp pasta..it was so yummy!!! My husband really liked his burger. I know in the past it was just okay but this time it really was great! We also loved the shakes and those were included in the Dining plan if you have that.:woohoo: We also really liked Crystal Palace. Probably my favorite buffet. Also loved Ohnana's. We have never been to Shutters or Chef Mickey's. We had breakfast at Tusker House and really enjoyed that. I would say your choices look great! Have a wonderful trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter