Just left...first timer thoughts

texasgingerbread

DIS Veteran
Just left...thoughts from a first timer (WDW vet):

FOOD:
Best Drink: Pomegranate Piranha Lemonade from Bengal Barbecue and Raspberry Mango Lemonade at Blue Bayou
Best Grab and Go: Chile Lime Corn on the Cob & Turkey Leg from Edelweiss Snacks
Best Snack: Bacon Wrapped Asparagus at Bengal Barbecue, Churros, and of course Mickey Bars
Best Food: Breakfast at Plaza Inn (I know it's odd to put breakfast on here but the omelets here were amazing) and Beef Gyro Platter at Paradise Garden Grill
Worst Meals: Pizza from Village Haus (no flavor) and Spicy Steak from Bengal Barbecue (I wouldn't recommend the chicken either but it's not the worst)
Worst Drink: Mint Julep (sorry guys it takes like Scope to me)
Worst Grab & Go: Kids Burgers anywhere...make sure and order them the adult Angus burger or you'll get processed meat (I think...it's gross whatever it is.)
Worst Snack: None...all were good.
Disappointment: Never made it to Cafe Orleans.

RIDES:
1. Pirates and BTMRR are sooooooooo much better than WDW! And when I say better I mean you just cannot compare them. Totally different rides! Amazing.
2. Not impressed with how much the rides went down. I get that it's old.
3. Hyperspace Mountain was amazing!
4. I never want to ride Roger Rabbit again! Puke. Not good for motion sickers.
5. Cars Land theming is so fabulous!!!!!!!!
6. Loved riding Toad and the all the classics. It brought back my childhood!!
7. Park hopping and sending runners for FP was exhausting. Between 24,000-31,000 steps on the fitbit and these were short hours!

CROWDS:
Not too bad, obviously heaviest on Friday. I expected Thursday to be slower than it was. Still ride times weren't bad but the sidewalks were so jammed packed. I don't ever want to experience "busy" here.

DINING RES:
I would do Mickey's at PCH Grill and Minnie's at Plaza Inn again in a heartbeat. We loved doing the 10:40am on a 9:00 opening because we had gotten to gates at 8:00 that day so boys were ready to eat again and then we ended up eating in the off hours the rest of the day which helped tremendously with lines. We also felt more rested taking that break at that time. BB is a once for us. The food was meh, atmosphere amazing though! WCT was meh. They did cook my scallops to perfection. Food was just average overall which was our expectation so no let down there.

JEDI TRAINING:
If you are wanting to do this I would plan on being there in the first cluster of people at rope drop. You can do this two ways. 1. Line up with Tomorrowland people but cut into the ramp at Galactic Grill and go down the steps and turn left. 2. Line up with castle walkthru (Peter Pan people) but cut right and walk by Matterhorn. NO ONE is on this route and you could really book it and beat the masses coming from Tomorrowland IF you are a fast walker. We were about 10th to sign up and it took 20 minutes! Meeting Chewy and Kylo Ren at this time were both walk ins (not a single person in front of us) and my hubby ran and got Space and Buzz FP. Space return time was 10:50.

LINING UP:
There are lines obscured by trees outside turnstyles. Sometimes that people have not even started a line for. This helped us every day. One day that line was splitting into 3. It goes so much faster!

ENTERTAINMENT:
1. Loved Mickey and the Magical Map!
2. Loved all 3 parades!
3. Loved fireworks but Wishes still has my heart.
4. Loved WOC - would see this again and again. Fab!
5. Tangled super cute show. Boys really enjoyed.
6. Newboys show was great! Loved Mickey and a quick Minnie sighting.
7. Green Army Men show was a little disappointing. What happened to the costumed faces? They just painted their faces green.

OVERALL:
I really, really enjoyed DL and don't feel like it's a "one time thing". I would definitely return here without hesitation. On the "off season" only though. Watching the projections on IASW was probably one of my favorite things...I didn't expect it to be so awesome but that is my huge favorite takeaway. I would skip Main Street and def view from here but that's me and what I thought unique to DL. Since the castle is so different I didn't find the draw here so IASW holds my heart. The nice thing about DL is combining it with all that California has to offer. Lovely state and great trip!

Thanks for all your help disers!!! You expertise, input and answering my many, many questions made this such a smooth trip. We LOVED Disneyland and cannot wait to return. Seriously yall are amazing and I'm so grateful for this forum.

Thanks SO much for all the info - another WDW regular heading to DL next month and tips like this are invaluable. Was planning on skipping BTMR but will try to fit it in (not certain of our dates yet since it's work related and know it's closed several days mid-April). I LOVED Bengal BBQ on our last trip in 2012 (especially the Bacon Wrapped Asparagus) and glad to know it's still there - will have to try the Pomegranate Piranha Lemonade! Thanks again!

Sounds like a great trip! I was there on Friday and it seemed very busy to me, just like it was a weekend day. Didn't you stay at the new Homewood Suites? How was it? I'm thinking of staying there if we go on a big family trip around Thanksgiving.

What!?!?! :upsidedow I can see where it would be bad if you aren't used to it. I think I only like it because I used to get it with my mom when I was a little girl. Now, I get it with my adult daughter. However, while I love buying one to share, it actually makes me light headed if I drink too much. I think it's too chock full of chemicals for me or maybe it's the high fructose corn syrup... idk.

Your overview was great. I've never had lemonade at Bengal Barbeque. Maybe I'll give that a try sometime. I tend to be a water person, but a little sugar rush now and again can be helpful.

What a wonderful trip and great report!! I'm so glad you had a fine time. I've been to Disneyland more times than I can count, but I still get great tips from reading what others have to say :) I now have to try the Pomegranate Piranha Lemonade, and I like your suggestion about making a breakfast reservation that allows for some early park time first.

Loved reading your thoughts! We're WDW vets heading west for the first time in June, so I love hearing about trips others doing the same thing have to say!!

Sounds so fun, and I can't wait for our trip!!

Excellent post! Did you enjoy the character interaction with the later reservation at the plaza? Did you meet a lot of characters? We have reservations for 10:00 on a Sunday in a few weeks but I am considering pushing it back a few hours... Kids are 2 and 6 though, don't want to be rushed, or miss anything... Let me know! Glad you had a a good trip!

FOOD:
Best Drink: Pomegranate Piranha Lemonade from Bengal Barbecue and Raspberry Mango Lemonade at Blue Bayou
Best Snack: Bacon Wrapped Asparagus at Bengal Barbecue, Churros, and of course Mickey Bars
Best Food: Breakfast at Plaza Inn (I know it's odd to put breakfast on here but the omelets here were amazing) and Beef Gyro Platter at Paradise Garden Grill
Worst Meals: Pizza from Village Haus (no flavor) and Spicy Steak from Bengal Barbecue (I wouldn't recommend the chicken either but it's not the worst)
LOL but I guess DLR just offers so much! I have never in my life had any of the things you did on your first trip!

Anyways, thanks for your nice mini-review!

:wizard:

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with your post, especially about it not being a "One time trip." I really thought during my first trip last year I would go once to say I did it and go right back to just WDW. I haven't been back since but I can't wait for the opportunity to go again. It really is a different and special experience. You'll definitely have to try Cafe Orleans your next trip back, it is very good!

I cannot imagine true Disney fans not loving both WDW and DLR and wanting to go to both - assuming they have resources to do so.

Before my first WDW trip in 2006 I never imagined I would keep going back - now six times in 10 years. I plan to go back in 2017 after the AvatarLand area is completed.

Yes, the two resorts have their differences. But the Disney magic is there in both places.

:wizard:

What!?!?! :upsidedow I can see where it would be bad if you aren't used to it. I think I only like it because I used to get it with my mom when I was a little girl. Now, I get it with my adult daughter. However, while I love buying one to share, it actually makes me light headed if I drink too much. I think it's too chock full of chemicals for me or maybe it's the high fructose corn syrup... idk.

Your overview was great. I've never had lemonade at Bengal Barbeque. Maybe I'll give that a try sometime. I tend to be a water person, but a little sugar rush now and again can be helpful.
I've never liked the mint julep either!

That was great. I also thought it was a one-time thing, and I had in my head that Disneyland was more for little kids but once they were older, we would naturally want WDW. Well, we are now taking our boys to DL for the third time and I can't wait. We still plan to do WDW but not until they are closer to 11 and 12 and have more stamina to stay at the parks all day. (From that standpoint, I guess DL is ideal for younger kids, since it's just an easy stroll to your hotel room, if you're staying on-site.)

Thanks for the review! I'm still kicking myself for not trying the corn cob. I walked by a stand with no line, but I had just eaten a pretzel, so I passed. I also have to try the mint julep now to see what the controversy is all about. I love mint, but I hate scope, so I will proceed with caution.

FOOD:
Worst Grab & Go: Kids Burgers anywhere...make sure and order them the adult Angus burger or you'll get processed meat (I think...it's gross whatever it is.)
Worst Snack: None...all were good.
Disappointment: Never made it to Cafe Orleans.

RIDES:
1. Pirates and BTMRR are sooooooooo much better than WDW! And when I say better I mean you just cannot compare them. Totally different rides! Amazing.
2. Not impressed with how much the rides went down. I get that it's old.
3. Hyperspace Mountain was amazing!
4. I never want to ride Roger Rabbit again! Puke. Not good for motion sickers.
5. Cars Land theming is so fabulous!!!!!!!!
6. Loved riding Toad and the all the classics. It brought back my childhood!!
7. Park hopping and sending runners for FP was exhausting. Between 24,000-31,000 steps on the fitbit and these were short hours!

CROWDS:
Not too bad, obviously heaviest on Friday. I expected Thursday to be slower than it was. Still ride times weren't bad but the sidewalks were so jammed packed. I don't ever want to experience "busy" here.

DINING RES:
I would do Mickey's at PCH Grill and Minnie's at Plaza Inn again in a heartbeat. We loved doing the 10:40am on a 9:00 opening because we had gotten to gates at 8:00 that day so boys were ready to eat again and then we ended up eating in the off hours the rest of the day which helped tremendously with lines. We also felt more rested taking that break at that time. BB is a once for us. The food was meh, atmosphere amazing though! WCT was meh. They did cook my scallops to perfection. Food was just average overall which was our expectation so no let down there.

JEDI TRAINING:
If you are wanting to do this I would plan on being there in the first cluster of people at rope drop. You can do this two ways. 1. Line up with Tomorrowland people but cut into the ramp at Galactic Grill and go down the steps and turn left. 2. Line up with castle walkthru (Peter Pan people) but cut right and walk by Matterhorn. NO ONE is on this route and you could really book it and beat the masses coming from Tomorrowland IF you are a fast walker. We were about 10th to sign up and it took 20 minutes! Meeting Chewy and Kylo Ren at this time were both walk ins (not a single person in front of us) and my hubby ran and got Space and Buzz FP. Space return time was 10:50.

LINING UP:
There are lines obscured by trees outside turnstyles. Sometimes that people have not even started a line for. This helped us every day. One day that line was splitting into 3. It goes so much faster!

ENTERTAINMENT:
1. Loved Mickey and the Magical Map!
2. Loved all 3 parades!
3. Loved fireworks but Wishes still has my heart.
4. Loved WOC - would see this again and again. Fab!
5. Tangled super cute show. Boys really enjoyed.
6. Newboys show was great! Loved Mickey and a quick Minnie sighting.
7. Green Army Men show was a little disappointing. What happened to the costumed faces? They just painted their faces green.

OVERALL:
I really, really enjoyed DL and don't feel like it's a "one time thing". I would definitely return here without hesitation. On the "off season" only though. Watching the projections on IASW was probably one of my favorite things...I didn't expect it to be so awesome but that is my huge favorite takeaway. I would skip Main Street and def view from here but that's me and what I thought unique to DL. Since the castle is so different I didn't find the draw here so IASW holds my heart. The nice thing about DL is combining it with all that California has to offer. Lovely state and great trip!

Thanks for all your help disers!!! You expertise, input and answering my many, many questions made this such a smooth trip. We LOVED Disneyland and cannot wait to return. Seriously yall are amazing and I'm so grateful for this forum.
Have our first trip in a few days!! Many many many wdw trips so I am looking forward to taking my daughter to where Walt walked!

I have been frustrated in finding DL info so thanks for taking the time to post:)

The is fantastic! I'm yet another WDW vet going to Disneyland this April for the first time in over 30 years. Thank you for your post!

I have to just comment on the ride closures - we found on prior trips rides actually went down more frequently - since you were there the same time as us, while you found it frustrating, it's actually better than it used to be. So that is a good thing, cause I can't imagine what you would have thought had you gone two years ago!!

And yes, being the fast runner is tiring but heh, if you have to walk, let it be walking in Disneyland!!

Enjoy the beach!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter