Just Keep Swimming - A 2015 Disney Professional Internship [7/20 - 5x Update]

randinicole

just another girl working for a mouse.
Hello! :wave2:

My name is Randi and in exactly 10 days, I will be beginning my adventure as a Disney Professional Intern! I've been poking around on the boards (I've actually been a member since 2007, I just wanted a start a new username for this specific journey) and I realized that while there are a handful of really wonderful Cast Member Trip Reports there aren't any Professional Internship Trip Reports! And, after tons and tons of research, I realized that there aren’t even many blogs devoted to Disney’s Professional Internships and absolutely none that pertain to my specific role as a Conservation Education Instructor. I’m hoping that through this TR I’ll be able to connect with others who may be interested in a Professional Internship as I chronicle my experience as I take on the [Disney] world…again!

11401418_10152804780876126_2084587088465241178_n.jpg

Again?

Well, ya! I first began my career with The Disney Company as an In-Room Celebrations Hostess while on my College Program between January and May of 2015. My College Program was very unique compared to most - I was first selected as a Recreation Cast Member but was later invited to join a small group of seven CPs that were selected to help test the logistical presence and necessity of College Program Cast Members for Disney Floral and Gifts, a small sub-group that falls under the Disney Events Group (DEG). I spent every single day creating surprise magic in guests' hotel rooms while they were out having fun around the resort and parks! It was truly the most incredible experience and I would love to write a small backstory post on it if anyone is interested!

11390162_10152804779766126_1173241837671143466_n.jpg

Don't let the face fool ya, I swear I LOVED this job. :lovestruc

So, long story short, while on my Program, I realized I wasn’t quite ready to leave yet and decided to apply for two different Professional Internships on a complete whim - literally though, I was filling out the initial application just moments before it was due. :rolleyes:

Professional Internship Details

With a bit of faith, trust, and pixie dust (and some very nerve-wracking interviews), I was selected to join the Animal Programs team and will soon be calling EPCOT’s The Seas with Nemo and Friends home from the months of June 2015 to January 2016. As a Conservation Education Instructor, I will be spending my time both ‘on stage’ and ‘off stage.’ Although I’m not entirely sure of every responsibility I’ll be taking on just yet, I know that through this amazing opportunity, I will be able to combine my passion for teaching with my love for Disney! In December of 2014, I graduated from Penn State with a dual degree in both Elementary Education and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (more commonly known as ESL) and while my College Program was nothing short of wonderful, I knew that I was really missing daily meaningful and educational interactions with kids. Knowing that I'll be spending eight months teaching children at Disney World is literally my dream come true.

11133772_10152804815931126_7968775838170820457_n.jpg

If only I knew when I took this picture back in February that Bruce would soon become my new co-Cast Member!

Requisite Trip Report Information

a.k.a.: The Fun Stuff
the necessary facts:
  • Name: Randi
  • Home State: New Jersey
  • University: Penn State
  • Undergraduate Degrees: Childhood and Early Adolescent Education & Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
the Disney facts:
  • I was raised on the magic of Disney movies, characters, and parks. Before beginning my College Program, I had visited Walt Disney World resort 12 times and fell madly in love (and mildly in obsession).
  • Although I have only stayed at four on-property resorts (POFQ, CBR, CSR, and AKL twice), my role as an In-Room Celebrations Hostess allowed me to visit each resort and see inside of every type of guest room that property has to offer (I mean every type - from the cabins at Fort Wilderness to the luxury rooms at Four Seasons, the Bora Bora Bungalows at the Polynesian to the Cinderella Castle Suite in the Magic Kingdom and every kind of room in-between).
  • Favorite Park: Animal Kingdom
  • Favorite Ride: ‘it’s a small world’
  • Favorite Characters: Snow White and Mater
  • Favorite movie: Mary Poppins

11401065_10152804832456126_7463992975188975459_n.jpg

We're getting married someday.

So...if after all of that information (sorry, it was probably way too much) you're still interested in following along, I would love to have you join my Professional Internship journey!

I'll be updating this Trip Report with some background information over the next few days before I really begin getting into the daily adventures on June 14th! I also faithfully update my social media accounts (maybe too faithfully, it's an addiction) with all of my Disney shenanigans so if you're interested in those kinds of gizmos and gadgets, my information is as follows:

Okey doke, I think that's all for now!

I hope all you dudes and dudettes are onboard for a totally righteous Trip Report as Nemo's friends and I take on the big ol' blue (a.k.a. EPCOT's The Seas). See ya real soon! :fish:

[continued in next post]

Last edited:
Table of Contents

The Before:

The During:
The After:

Last edited:
Hi Randi! What a great opportunity! Your CP job sounds really interesting as does your professional internship. It is also a great fit considering your education and will look great on your resume!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

Definitely following along - this sounds like an amazing opportunity and I can't wait to read all about it :fish:

Fun! Congratulations on your new position. Excited to hear more - I'd also be interested in a backstory post about your time with Disney Floral and Gifts.

You have a great attitude, most recent college grads hate their jobs. You realize what type of work environment works best for you and that always leads to work place happiness. We are all living vicariously through you, I would love to hear about your job putting together flowers for Disney. Enjoy the ride and make sure to be careful (I'm a mom and cannot stop myself from saying that).

Sounds very interesting -can't wait to hear more! Count me in....

Please share your experience with the DEG!

I kinda recall a TR report on your CP experience....I think. Any who, I'm looking forward to your new adventure as a Professional Intern.

Hey Randi! I'm Lexi, and I'm currently on a Summer 2015 PI. This is my third PI semester (Fall 2013 and Fall 2014). I hope you're a part of the Facebook group and look forward to reading your TR!

Hi Randi! What a great opportunity! Your CP job sounds really interesting as does your professional internship. It is also a great fit considering your education and will look great on your resume!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

Hi Lessa! Thank you so much for following along! I really can't believe what a wonderful match this internship is with what I studied in school - I'm so excited for the day that I can talk about working for Walt Disney World while on a teaching interview; it's going to be so fun!

Definitely following along - this sounds like an amazing opportunity and I can't wait to read all about it :fish:

Yay! Thanks for joining in! I couldn't help but notice your upcoming trip in your signature - those two lovely little girls of yours will have to pay a visit to Nemo and his friends while you're visiting EPCOT! :goodvibes

Fun! Congratulations on your new position. Excited to hear more - I'd also be interested in a backstory post about your time with Disney Floral and Gifts.

Thank you so much - I'm excited to let you all know about it! I'm going to include a bit of my history with Disney Floral and Gifts in the next update!

You have a great attitude, most recent college grads hate their jobs. You realize what type of work environment works best for you and that always leads to work place happiness. We are all living vicariously through you, I would love to hear about your job putting together flowers for Disney. Enjoy the ride and make sure to be careful (I'm a mom and cannot stop myself from saying that).

Aww, thank you so much! I can't imagine spending every day doing something that I don't love - it's so great to hear a mom's support (and trust me, I sincerely appreciate your motherly advice after being away from my own for so long! :hug:

Sounds very interesting -can't wait to hear more! Count me in....

Please share your experience with the DEG!

Thanks GAN, I'll glad to have you apart of the journey!

I kinda recall a TR report on your CP experience....I think. Any who, I'm looking forward to your new adventure as a Professional Intern.

Haha guilty as charged! I did begin a TR for my CP experience but I just got a little too wrapped up in the Disney bubble to update the report - don't hold it against me though! :rotfl: I promise I'm not going to give up on this TR - I'm too excited about this opportunity and want to document every moment! Thank you for following again [again!].

Hey Randi! I'm Lexi, and I'm currently on a Summer 2015 PI. This is my third PI semester (Fall 2013 and Fall 2014). I hope you're a part of the Facebook group and look forward to reading your TR!

AHH, hi Lexi! That's so neat - how much longer is your PI for? I would love to meet up when we're both down there (assuming you're in Florida) if our paths cross. What is your internship? And yes, I am apart of the Facebook group, it's been really helpful and wonderful to meet so many people! Thank you so much for joining in the TR experience!

Congratulations, Randi! Can't wait to read more! And I'll see you in September!! :fish:

YAY DANIELLE! Cannot wait to see you in just a few months - the Garden Wing is calling my name! :lovestruc

Hi Randi, how exciting! Joining in!
-Lindsey

Hi Lindsey! I'm so excited to have you here - thanks for joining in!

Congratulations! This sounds like a great opportunity and I'll definitely be following along! Good luck!

Aww, thank you Mrs. Skellington! Hopefully you, DH, and adorable Calvin are able to stop by The Seas when you visit Disney World in just a few months! :fish:

Sounds like lots of fun! Can't wait to read more!

Hi Mandy! Thanks for following along! I noticed your ticker in your signature - what month are you visiting Walt Disney World? I hope I'm still there while you're vacationing!

I'm only here until August since my parents are forcing me to grow up soon lol. I'm an Industrial Engineering intern and would love to meet up!! My blog is lexidoesdisney.com, but I feel bad cause I've been so lax lately lol. :rolleyes1

Hey there! Joining in. Professional Internships at Disney is something I actually just started to look into! They have a biotechnology internship which is actually my exact field of study, or they at least used to. Can't wait to hear about your experience with it!

College Program Experience

So while this blog will be used to share my experience as a Conservation Education Instructor Professional Intern at The Sea’s with Nemo and Friends, I wanted to provide a bit of background information about my start with Disney and what inspired me to pursue this new journey. If it hadn’t been for my time as a College Program Participant, I’m not sure I would have found a passion for this particular PI and for that, I am very grateful!

So without further ado:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

College Program Timeline
After years and years of Disney vacations, I always knew that I wanted to be among the amazing Cast Members that helped to make the magic. I first found out about the College Program when I was in high school and promised myself that I would pursue the opportunity to work for The Disney Company as soon as I could. I began my freshman year of college in the fall of 2010 (We Are - Penn State!) and eagerly began researching and scheduling and figuring out when I could apply to work for the company. Well, long story short, 2010 turned into 2011 which became 2012, 2013, and so on and it seemed that applying for the program wasn’t going to be nearly as easy I as thought with my major. As an elementary education student, my classes were fairly planned out for me and it seemed almost foolish to take a semester off when everything was so nicely laid out. I began to think that the College Program was not in the cards for me until I realized that I would be graduating a semester later than anticipated because of a second education certification that I had picked up at school. So while I was completing my final semester of school and student teaching in inner-city Philadelphia in the fall of 2014, I applied for the Disney College Program with the hopes that I would be able to move to Disney World at the last possible opportunity - the semester after my college graduation.

In terms of dates and interviews and acceptances, my College Program journey looked a little something like this:

• August 20th, 2014: Completed the initial online application
  • August 21st, 2014: Completed the web-based interview
  • August 26th, 2014: Completed the phone interview
  • September 5th, 2014: Received my initial acceptance letter as a Children’s Activities Hostess
11377150_10152813474296126_2629028279312212901_n.jpg
  • November 17th, 2014: Received a phone call from a College Program representative who asked if I would be interested in changing my role to a newly offered position under the Disney Event Group. This was only the second program to offer a role to CPs in this department. I was hesitant to change considering how little was known about this new role but in hindsight, becoming a Disney Event Group Cast Member was one of the most wonderful experiences I could have had during my College Program. My new title became In-Room Celebrations Hostess and I got to spend every single day visiting any number of the Disney Resorts and setting up small surprise parties in guests’ hotel rooms! (I'm going to include a more thorough description of my role below if you would like to read.) :flower3:
11392844_10152813493176126_4615623440857975478_n.jpg

This adorable life-size Mickey greets you as you walk up to the Disney Events Group building.
  • January 19th, 2015: Began my College Program as an In-Room Celebrations Hostess
  • May 13th, 2015: Completed my final day as a College Program participant and flew home to New Jersey to spend some time with my family and friends before I move back to Florida to begin my Professional Internship
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professional Internship Timeline
I had never really considered a Professional Internship working its way into my Disney plans but I knew I had to “Trust [my] heart and let fate decide.” About halfway through my College Program, I began looking online and reading the descriptions of Professional Internships that would be beginning after my Program wrapped up. I ultimately decided to apply for two of them (the very night the applications were due…:rolleyes1): the Conservation Education Presenter Internship and the Conservation Education Instructor Internship. The internships are fairly similar and both had a really heavy focus on education and children which was exactly what I was looking for - combining my passion for teaching with my love for Disney was perfect!

In terms of dates and interviews and acceptances, my Professional Internship journey [so far] has looked a little something like this:

• March 4th, 2015: Applied for both the Conservation Education Presenter Internship and the Conservation Education Instructor Internship
  • March 12th, 2015: Interviewed via video-camera for the Conservation Education Presenter Internship
  • March 17th, 2015: Interviewed via video-camera for the Conservation Education Instructor Internship
  • April 7th, 2015: Received a call from a Disney Professional Internship Recruiter with the wonderful news that I had been accepted as 1 of 5 Conservation Education Instructors for the Fall 2015 semester
1524710_10152813474351126_794686874030077100_n.jpg
  • June 11th, 2015: Flying back to Orlando to move in to my apartment, meet my management, etc. before beginning my PI
  • June 14th, 2015: My first day as a Conservation Education Instructor Professional Intern
11406770_10152813493026126_5542199760051160489_n.jpg

My new home!
  • January 23rd, 2016: My final day as a Conservation Education Instructor Professional Intern
I'll be sure to include more information about my specific job details and responsibilities as a Conservation Education Instructor once I find out more (which should be on Friday when I meet with my new managers and on Sunday when I begin working).

In terms of right now, I'm in the process of packing for my flight tomorrow and wrapping up last minute goodbyes and see ya laters to my New Jersey friends and family. Luckily my car and all of my belongings are already in Florida (my past coordinator was gracious enough to keep my car and my things in her home for the few weeks that I was away) so all I need to do is hop on a plane and I'll be back in good ole' Florida before I know it! My two roommates have already moved into our apartment so it's been fun to vicariously live through them as they unpack and settle in! You can expect to learn more about these two lovely ladies in future posts! I can only imagine some of the crazy adventures we're going to get into together! :scratchin

Disney Floral and Gifts - College Program Experience
When I first applied to the CP in August of 2014, my top three roles were Children's Activities, Character Attendant, and Concierge. I was so lucky to be accepted as a Children's Activities Cast Member and thought that I was all set to begin my Program. Apparently someone else knew better than me though because sometime in mid-October, I received a phone call from Disney HR asking if I would consider changing my role to Floral. In all honesty, the Cast Member that I spoke with over the phone seemed just as unsure and uneducated about this new role as I was and after explaining that I needed to make a decision at the end of our phone call, I ultimately decided (with a little bit of pressure) to accept the role change! (THANK GOODNESS I DID. ::yes::)

When I began my College Program in January of 2015, I learned that myself and the 6 other CPs that had been chosen as Floral Cast Members were part of the second group of College Program Cast Members to ever work at the Disney Events Group (DEG) building (the building that houses Disney Floral and Gifts). I've now learned that College Program participants are able to apply and interview to be Floral Cast Members which is extremely exciting to me because I guess that means that DEG liked us and found our existence helpful! :laughing:

In terms of roles that we as CP Cast Members took on, there were 7 positions that we were trained to work:

• Set and Strike: Two CPs were trained in this role (although the rest of us got to experience it occasionally if we asked to). In this role, CMs helped to set up and tear down special events all across property (examples of these events include Disney Fairy Tale Weddings, conferences, banquets, etc.). I was able to participate in a few strikes (unfortunately no sets) and it was so much fun to see the different event spaces all across the parks and resorts. Any floral arrangement that is ordered for a wedding, banquet, etc. is made and sent out of our building and while CPs are not allowed to work firsthand with the floral, I was able to see and smell and oogle over all of the incredible masterpieces that our florists created!
    • Dock: Only one CP was trained in this role but CMs that work dock help to unload and load shipment trucks that come into the building and organize them within our warehouse.
    • Personalization: By the end of our program, I believe four CPs were well versed in personalization. This role includes learning how to use the embroidery machines (just like the ones you see at any of the hat shops in the parks) and stitch onto different textiles like ears, tote bags, towels, etc.
    • Basketeering: There were three CPs that were explicitly trained in this role but I found myself helping in this department the most when I had some downtime. CMs in this role learn how to build the standard gift baskets and personalized gift baskets/arrangements that guests buy online or over the phone.
    • Pulling: Three CPs were trained in this role. Pullers work in the stockroom of our building and collect the specific items that the Basketeers will need to build the gift baskets.
    • Driving: My friend Julia and I were the two CPs trained in this role (our management paired this role with the In-Room Celebrations role because it helped us to learn our way around property and about the specifics of each resort). In this role, Julia and I drove a company van around property as we made floral and gift basket deliveries to the parks, resorts, etc. I was only scheduled for this role for the first month of my Program until I had an understanding of property and would occasionally pick up shifts as a Driver on busy days and holidays.
    • In-Room Celebrations: Julia and I were also the only two CPs trained in this position. I worked as an In-Room Celebrations Hostess for nearly four consecutive months once I had completed my Driving training. Julia however alternated between the two roles almost weekly. There wasn't any rhyme or reason for this - it really just depended on where our managers needed us. In-Room Celebration CMs spend the first half of the day reviewing and preparing upcoming orders while also double and triple checking our orders for that day. Starting at 2:00 p.m., we then spend the rest of the day (until 8:00 p.m.) visiting the different resorts as we set up 'surprise' parties and celebrations in their hotel rooms. The different In-Room Celebrations that guests can order can be viewed here (I promise I'm not pushing for anyone to order an In-Room Celebration, I just want to give anyone who might be interested an idea of what In-Room Celebrations look like).
Like I mentioned, working for Disney Floral and Gifts was the most wonderful experience. I was able to learn my way around property without the use of maps, GPSs, or signs; adventure backstage at every park and resort and explore so many unseen sights; and meet the most incredible people I could have imagined. To any potential CPs that might be reading this - even if you do not have a background in floral or events (I absolutely did not), seriously consider this role! I learned more about the Walt Disney World Resort than I could have ever imagined and now I truly have a respect for this amazing place as not only a magical vacation destination but also a real world business and enterprise. People always warn you that working for the Resort might cause the magic to fade but I know that I love it just as much - if not more! Rather than the magic fading, I now see it differently - it truly is an amazing place to work and play!

11401308_10152813504346126_3023574669102241892_n.jpg

This isn't everyone but these are some of the CPs that I worked with at DEG. :lovestruc
Julia (in the middle wearing the pink Minnie ears) and Tim (in the gray sweater on the end) are, without a doubt, going to be some of my best friends for life.
So, if you've read this far, I applaud you tremendously! :worship:

And if you haven't and only skimmed to this point, I still love you and thank you for your support!
(It was a lot, I know!)

It's so crazy to think but by this time tomorrow, I'll be on my way to the airport to get back to Walt Disney World and the start of my newest adventure!

Last edited:
Almost time for your new adventure to begin! Good luck!!! I bet it will be a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter