• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just injured Achilles tendon

zippermom

Earning My Ears
Oh my goodness ...... I injured my Achilles tendon Friday and I am barely able to walk. I've read that this could take a long while to heal and we're supposed to be at Disney on the 31!! What am I going to do?? Anyone been in a similar dilemma ? I can't imagine doing Disney in a wheelchair but I might have to. I would hate the thought of the looks I might get - I don't look injured! Iceing my heel daily and praying for the best, I've been looking forward to this vacation for so long. Phooey!!

forget about those "looks". You know you need the mobility aid, as does your family. The wheelchair won't get you into rides any faster, so those people with the "looks" are very much mistaken.

Unless you have someone willing and able to push the chair all day, I recommend an ECV instead. Wheelchairs are exhausting to someone not used to them.

Renting off site is cheaper and you will have it for the resort and to and from the buses. Last thing you want to do is aggravate the injury through overuse.

consider heading over to the disabilities board here for further advice and a list of reputable rental companies.

good luck!

Have you been to a Dr?? If not, get it checked out!! and maybe they can help with a brace at least to keep things stable. Or maybe a walking boot And dont worry about what people think with a wheelchair... disney is the land of people not walking!

You will be much more comfortable (and so will whoever would have had to push you) if you rent an ECV. rent offsite - that way you will have it with you from the resort to the parks and back. I really like Walker Mobility. :moped:

The PP is right. An ECV gets you no special privileges. It does give you a prime view of butts, and it gives you the opportunity to hone your reflexes as people dart out in front of you, stop in front of you, and seemingly can't see you at all! Ignore stupid people and whatever looks they give you or ridiculous comments they make. Insensitive a**holes seem to come out of the woodwork at Disney, especially at bus stops. As they complain because I get on first, I sit there knowing I get off last. I'm thinking about making a sign that says that for this trip...either that or "give me your kidney and I'll get off this ECV", LOL. :lmao:

Whatever you do, don't stress the injury for the sake of the trip. Don't walk on it when you shouldn't, don't overdo, and follow Doctor's orders!! :crutches: Did I sound like an RN? Good. And seriously, if you have questions, we deal with this kind of thing a lot over on the disabilities board. Had this very thing a couple of weeks ago I think. You might want to do a search.

I hope your trip is still wonderful! pixiedust:

As for you looking healthy but still needing a wheelchair and getting "looks", it's not an issue. Last year, I was in the hospital for two weeks with a severe vitamin issue. Once I was released, I needed a walker and then eventually a cane until all my issues were resolved. But we went to Disney World anyway and my husband pushed me in a wheelchair. I looked perfectly normal except my balance was all messed up so walking was NOT an option.

During the entire time, I didn't get one single strange look, not even when I could get out of the wheelchair, hold onto it and push it myself into the rest rooms.

If you are nervous about getting looks, make a sign for your device. It could say something like, "Just following what Achilles did and injured my tendon".

I injured both achilles tendons in high school, my ankles have been weak ever since. My best recommendation -- don't overdo it, allow it time to heal. Assuming you are at least 18 yrs old, I suggest an ECV; it will allow you independence around the park without impacting others in your party for pushing (which can get tiring). Do an off-site rental so you have it to/from the parks and around your resort as well. Don't worry about what others think -- you'll never see them again, and most aren't really paying attention to you anyway.

Enjoy your vacation!

I feel your pain- literally and figuratively! I have just come up with a heel spur- ironically from starting a walking plan to be in better shape for Disney- and boy, does it hurt! If it doesn't go away by the time we travel (October, so I'm optimistic), there's no way I'll be able to walk the parks all day. A friend suggested a kneeling scooter, as they are easier to maneuver than an ECV. Would this be a possibility for you? Does anyone know if they can be rented in the area?

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF and don't over-do it. Follow your doctors recommendations so you'll get better- and have a WONDERFUL trip!

I had an insertional tear of the Achilles last winter. I was in a boot for about a month- 6 weeks and it was still tender for a LONG time. I did Disney in April with no issues but I still had to take the 800 Motrin and ice it every night to prevent inflammation. I am still not allowed to take stairs because it is still vulnerable to re-injury. I say rent the ECV and make sure that you see a doctor asap because you can really cause more damage if it needs to be immobilized and you don't. No one even bats an eye at people in ECV's and wheelchairs. 99% of the people at WDW are too busy trying to figure out where they're going next and why they can't find the back of the line for A&E to care what anyone else is doing! Hope it gets better!

My sympathies OP. I have been having problems with mine since Feb 2013. I took it easy and did stretches and calf raises like "dr. Google" said. I went to dr in Jan and still am having problems. I have gone to PT, had prolo therapy shots, isotophersis (sp?) and am now in a boot. I *think* the boot might be helping. I had it off for a bit yesterday and it didn't bother me.

What I found works best for me as far as walking was to wear shoes with a wedge heal and don't ever walk barefoot.

If you can get to the dr, I would def do so. They might want to do an mri to see how bad you have injured it.

FWIW, I went to Disney last December when I was having problems wi th my achilles and was able to walk the whole time open to close. Not sure if it was just being in the World that made the difference, but it wasn't horrible pain.

Also, you can try massaging the area. I use essential oils (a blend with lemongrass, wintergreen and peppermint, but if I didn't have the blend, I would use straight wintergreen) and rub my achilles morning and night. It's hard for tendons to heal b/c lack of blood flow/oxygen, but the oils and massaging bring oxygen to the area. Best of luck! And if you need an ECV get one.

leebee said:
I feel your pain- literally and figuratively! I have just come up with a heel spur- ironically from starting a walking plan to be in better shape for Disney- and boy, does it hurt! If it doesn't go away by the time we travel (October, so I'm optimistic), there's no way I'll be able to walk the parks all day. A friend suggested a kneeling scooter, as they are easier to maneuver than an ECV. Would this be a possibility for you? Does anyone know if they can be rented in the area?

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF and don't over-do it. Follow your doctors recommendations so you'll get better- and have a WONDERFUL trip!

I also have a heel spur on the back of my heel. I think that is causing some of my achilles issues. I have read that taking a shot of apple cider vinegar (needs tonhave the mother) helps and have started to do this. I mix a shot with some water, cinnamon and honey. Well no honey for now since I'm doing a Whole30 and no sugar is allowed. But I'm hopeful this will help dissolve it.

I broke my ankle just a few weeks before a Disney trip. I'm an otherwise healthy looking 27 year old, and I used a wheelchair without many dirty looks. We also hooked crutches onto the side for getting into and out of the rides that I could. The CMs were VERY helpful -- slowing down the omnimover rides so that I could get in without rushing, making sure my boyfriend knew where they were stowing the wheelchair while we were on the ride, etc. Just know that they cannot physically help you onto or off a ride; they can only slow it down. I found other guests to be very kind and understanding for the most part. I was also grateful I had the wheelchair so that my bad foot wasn't getting stepped on; I can imagine it being even worse for an Achilles injury. I can't count the number of times someone has stepped on or run over the back of my foot!

A few tips -- I brought one of those first aid cloth bags for holding ice, and would ask for ice at counter service places. They were more than happy to give me multiple cups of ice to fill it up; this was much easier than going back and forth to first aid. I refilled the ice a few times during the day, and of course iced and elevated at night.

Also, keep in mind that rides that have never bothered you in the past may bother you now. Space Mountain, for example, was not a good idea for me. I foolishly thought I would be able to keep my leg still, but it got banged around anyway.

Looking back, it's actually one of my favorite trips! It was obviously a slower pace than we are used to, but we ended up experiencing things we otherwise would have skipped over.

I want to encourage you that it's entirely possible to still have an amazing trip, just be sure that you think ahead and understand your limitations beforehand.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! for the responses. I really feel encouraged! Ha- might even do the sign thing if I'm feeling concerned about the looks. I suppose in a strange way this might make it easier for my family; I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been warning them I would be moving slow but I was totally unwilling to get a wheelchair because of my arthritis. Can't surrender to that, don't-cha-know-it!!! You all have really lifted my spirits!!

I was treated for Achilles tendonitis last year. No tear just overused due to a bad knee on the other leg.

Healing will take weeks/months even with physical therapy. The PT strengthens the calf muscles above that ankle to help stabilize it along with any other weak leg muscles. Also lots of stretching. They also massage it aggressively to breakdown any scar tissue. I would go see a therapist for some strategies at least.

Ask the doctor for some heel inserts. The add just a little lift and relieves some of the strain. But ask the doctor to make sure they will help.

Also, if you see a physical therapist they may be able to apply Kenesio Tape which also helps. It did for me. You can't tape it yourself as it requires training to do properly. This is the bright colored tape you see in wild patterns on various athletes. It sometimes looks like a large spider on their shoulder.

But in the end, if you need an ECV/wheelchair, then get one. This injury is really painful at times.

zippermom said:
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! for the responses. I really feel encouraged! Ha- might even do the sign thing if I'm feeling concerned about the looks. I suppose in a strange way this might make it easier for my family; I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been warning them I would be moving slow but I was totally unwilling to get a wheelchair because of my arthritis. Can't surrender to that, don't-cha-know-it!!! You all have really lifted my spirits!!

Fyi - I saw a HUGE improvement in my joints (osteoarthritis) when I started eating gluten free. I have Hashimotos thyroiditis too and that is the reason I went GF b/c there is a big correlation b/t gluten having an impact of auto immune diseases. But was happily amazed at the improvement in my joints too. Again...best of luck to you.

Go see a doctor, see if a boot will help! Or even one of those knee scooter things. You don't have to resign yourself to walking OR a wheelchair. There are things in between that might be better for you.

And don't use a cane (like my DH did) because the one-sided nature of that can go up the body and cause more issues. DH ended up with knee problems then hip then shoulder and back, because he didn't insist on a boot (the doctor wasn't listening to him), REFUSED to rent some wheels, and just used a cane. It's been almost 2 year and his achilles still twinges.

Google knee walker or knee scooter. Saw one waiting for parade atop the train station a couple of years ago. I approached the guest and asked about it. They'd had a recent ankle injury and said it was a great help.

Get the ECV!!!

The masses will not think twice about anything you are or are not doing. If there are some that do, who cares! It's your vacation -- do what is right for you!

Off topic a bit, but I got kicked by a horse and had soft tissue injuries up into my knee (fully healed now) several years ago. I ended up going to DL in a wheelchair and it was not a fun experience. Anyone that thinks someone would fake an injury should spend a day that way and see that any perceived advantages are well outweighed by the sheer inconvenience of it all (as well as the aforementioned view of butts!). I was thrilled when I could go back to touring on foot thereafter.

Don't spend your life (or your vacation) letting others make decisions for you!! Have fun -- achilles injuries can be extremely painful and chronic (especially if you don't take care of them).

And I was worried about my fractured hand. I did it last Wednesday. 3 1/2 weeks before we leave. Sorry to hear about your heel. Check out the knee scooter. My friend had one for when she broke her ankle. Just be aware that they are work. You are completely using your other leg to push you everywhere. Think uphill.

Please don't try to walk - you'll only injure your Achilles further! I have had surgery on both of my Achilles' tendons over the past five years. They take a long time to recover, so don't push it and try to do too much. WDW can easily be 8 to 10 miles of walking per day, so there's no way you'll be able to walk. It's hard enough for an able-bodied person to do, much less someone with an injury!

I second everyone's advice to rent an ECV. It's much easier than a wheelchair, and you'll be happy you did. Don't worry about what kind of "looks" you might get; you have a medical issue and it's no one's business why you have an ECV. Go onto the DiSabiilties board and research how to rent one off-site. It's much cheaper that way.

And I know others have recommended renting a "knee scooter", which I had with both my surgeries. But it's pretty exhausting to use a knee scooter for any sort of distance - they're great for getting around a home or office, but not the distances at WDW. Get an ECV instead - trust me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter