Just how much planning should I do.

Disney fan sandra

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are going on a couples only trip to Disney for 8 days in December. I am trying to figure out just how much planning do I need to do. I am a plan it all out kind of person but if my plans don't work as I think they should I panic. I have already cut some of the planning down to make the trip more relaxed as I want to enjoy the magic. My husband is a fly by the seat and don't worry about it person. I want this trip to be fun for us both. I am wanting So I ask in your opinion how much planning do I need to do to get the most out of this trip while keeping the magic?

Last edited:
I've done WDW many ways - from methodically doing every attraction to seat of the pants and everything in between. I'm a DVC member so I'll usually reserve rooms 7 or 11 months out.
But besides that, what works for me the best is:

1) Pick things I don't want to miss 7 to 8 months in advance.

This year I'm taking some noobs ("Kirk, party of 9!") so the list is rather long. Hoop-Dee-Do, Luau, Back-Yard-BBQ, IllumiNations Dessert Party, Pirates & Pals Fireworks, Royal Table, IllumiNations Boat Tour, Fantasmic!, Be Our Guest Dinner and all but 2 Character Dining.

2) Look at historic crowd data and plan the lowest or 2nd lowest park for the morning of each day. Sometimes I'll do Evening EMH but not in the AM.

Crowd Calendar

3) Make "Must See" and Hard-to-get reservations at 180 +10 days out. Some of these are Pre-pay so it gives me a chance to spread out cost. It also narrows the time windows to my choosing. Some of the more popular events are impossible to get otherwise.

4) Leave some flexibility in my plans. One event per day, sometimes two so we don't end up running from event to event and miss enjoying the parks

5) Now, use FP+ at 60 days out. Also includes buying tickets and/or passes which also spreads cost out.

6) A couple of weeks before check-in I'll purchase a dining plan using my Disney Vacation Account (DVA) which I opened more than 120 days previously. (See my cost savings strategy below.)

7) On check-in I'll upgrade my tickets to premium annual passes using my DVA and enjoy my vacation with very few additional costs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount strategy - the DVA and funding it:

DVA - You can open a DVA and fund it over time. For each $1000 that you spend towards a Disney Vacation (Transport, Resort, Tickets, Dining, etc.) more than 120 days after open you get a $20 gift card. (2%)

DVA

Funding it:

1) Open a Target Red Card - Free, gives you a 5% discount. Connects to your Bank Account like an ATM.

2) I used a discount gift card site to increase this 7% discount to about 12% but I don't know how long this will be available. Ask me offline if interested.

Plan your heart out in advance. But once you get there, be like Elsa and Let It Go. Your planning will give you a fantastic ability to change and adapt WITHOUT panicking. Trust your instincts and have a wonderful trip!

I would plan things that you don't want to miss. We just did that on our last trip. We planned several restaurants that we didn't want to miss - and the other times we took what was available. I found that you can get many restaurants the day before when people cancel. It worked out great. The same with rides. There were some rides we really wanted and others we didn't care about. Enjoy

Plan all you want.. :thumbsup2

Here are a couple of ideas... we have done when its just the 2 of us.

Appetizer & Cocktail night, We have found that DTD this is the easiest place to do this, we walk around listening to the live music that they have all over, and will pop in somewhere to have a drink at the bar, Rainforest, T-Rex, and Planet Hollywood, are pretty good. Raglan road is one of our fav's and listening to Drops of Green, and seeing the Irish dancers is a fun night.

You can ride the monorail, and have a adult beverage at each stop and check out the resort and then dinner somewhere on the route, Maybe Calli Grill and plan it for when the fireworks are going up. Romantic :love:

Carriage ride over at Port Orleans.

Plan a few pool days, just to sit relax and soak up some sun.

Must do a character meal, and Yes get your pictures with the character... :D

Overall make ADR's, And Fast Passes, Look at Park times, Parade and fireworks time. Sketch out a plan rough draft, then fine tune it, so it doesn't seem like you have planned it.
Another suggestion order some snacks for room and pool time, Garden Grocer is a great resource.

If somewhere along the way something comes ups just go with it. Sometimes those moments are the best memories.pixiedust:

Have a wonderful trip.

I am a planner and I have been planning our trip for a VERY long time.

My advice, if there is a specific restaurant and it's popular (V&A's, BOG, CG), you MUST go online or call at exactly the 180 day mark. I did, and was able to get all 3... but BOG was tough and we're dining at 9:05pm on the last night of our vacation.

I say... PLAN PLAN PLAN! Better to be more prepared and to change and do "on the fly" stuff, if you end up wanting to. If you don't, at least you have something to fall back on.

Since it's a couple's only trip... have you seen the new Amphicar's at The Boathouse, at Disney Springs? That may be a fun, grown up and casual, splurge!

Have a great time!

Tara

I think that it really depends on the crowds when you go. Don't get me wrong, meals definately need to be booked in advance, but I've been quite a few times over the past 10 years.

From one insane planner to another (you can subtract the "insane" from your title :-)) the funnest times I've had in the parks are the ones that were spur of the moment. Go ahead and plan what day you will visit each park - and throw in the fast pass for those days but depending on the crowd level I always find it fun to:

:earsboy:Hop parks on the fly

:dancer:Dance in the rain - if you get lucky enough to be there when it does. Everyone scrambles to go indoors. You have the entire park to yourself! What do you care if people watch you? Are you ever going to see them again?

:faint: Take a nap!

:drive:Visit other Disney Resorts that you've always wanted to go to.

:boat: Mouse boats!

All of these things can be done if you're when your schedule doesn't work out. Just have fun!

I am a planner and I have been planning our trip for a VERY long time.

My advice, if there is a specific restaurant and it's popular (V&A's, BOG, CG), you MUST go online or call at exactly the 180 day mark. I did, and was able to get all 3... but BOG was tough and we're dining at 9:05pm on the last night of our vacation.

I say... PLAN PLAN PLAN! Better to be more prepared and to change and do "on the fly" stuff, if you end up wanting to. If you don't, at least you have something to fall back on.

Since it's a couple's only trip... have you seen the new Amphicar's at The Boathouse, at Disney Springs? That may be a fun, grown up and casual, splurge!

Have a great time!

Tara
I had not seen those I will check them out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter