Just how big is Saratoga Springs.

The Eighth Dwarf

Mouseketeer
We`re looking to go to Saratoga Springs for two weeks in October.
We did quite fancy POFQ but with SSR getting the full Dining Plan free it seems better value for our money.
We`ve read loads of reviews and looked at various photos but we still don`t really have a true sense of how big the resort is.

I`ve seen people say its a 10 minute walk to Downtown Disney or 10 minute walk to the lobby. But I`ve only got wee short legs so I don`t get too far in 10 minutes :)

Where should we be asking for if we ask for a preferred location, we would ideally like to be close to bus stop and the shop/food court.

Just how far away is the furthest out location to the shop/food court.

Can anyone sort of put the distances in perspective for me.

I know I`m going to sound like a right lazy so and so, but we do quite a lot of walking in the parks and are all cream crackered by the time we get back to our resort, the thought of a two mile hike doesn`t appeal to me.

I'd request The Springs section. Saratoga Springs is HUGE. If I were you, I wouldn't plan a stay there in hot weather. Our trip was at the end of May and it was so blasted hot that we had to drive to the main building to eat. The heat coming off the sidewalks was unbearable and we live in south Louisiana, so we know about high humidity and high heat.
Here's a link to a map:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/Saratoga.htm

The springs is closest to the lobby, food, checkin, main pool.
We stayed at Congress Park, which is right across the water from downtown disney. We loved it, and my daughters liked the DTD access. This was in early April so it wasn't too hot. We are planning on staying there again in June of 2011 for our anniversary.
The farthest point from what I could tell was grandstand, which has a cool pool for kids but seemed far from the other bus stops. It was, however, the first bus stop, which could be good if you have kids.
Daisyx3

It is a huge resort. I did the DVC tour there a few years ago and couldn't believe the size of it. Much larger than Beach Club and Boardwalk, and Villas at Wilderness Lodge.

We stayed there in November in the Congress Park section. You could walk to DD, the main pool and the food court from that section. If we had been assigned a villa in some of the other sections, a car, or a bus ride would have been required to get to those locations. The section by the Treehouse villas seemed to be the most removed from the amenities.

SSR is like a small community with multiple buildings. There are also multiple bus stops around the community, so you can hop a bus to get to the Springs. But there are also walking paths that criss-cross the property so you aren't walking as far as vehicles are driving.

One of our favorite things to do at SSR is to get up early and take a walk around the property.

SSR is large. We lucked out on our stay there as we were assigned to the Paddock area. But we were right across the street from The Carousel. Their bus stop was almost right outside our door.
DH did walk to the food court and pool a few times. It's a walk, but not far.
But your room could be way out somewhere. We had a car, so either way it was not bad for us.
But again, SSR is a large resort.

I have stayed here 2x with no car. Both times with little kids. While the resort is latge I really didn't feel that way about it. Both times we were lucky enough to stay at the Grandstand and we loved it! Not sure how the new treehouse villas are affecting the bus service. We never had an issue with the buses and were first stop on and off which was great. I loved being close to the springs but far enough away from all the hustle:) We loved it adn I would certainly saty here againm if you are getting a deal, even better:)

I stayed in Grandstand and there is a short cut past the pool to get to the main pool/community area. It took me about 2 days to find it but it was a really short walk. I LOVE SSR, its quite and beautiful. They also have trams that will take you from your building to the main area. Oh yeah, we had dinner at the Turf Club both times we stayed there and it is soooo good and really a beautiful restaurant overlooking the water.

1) SSR is the largest DVC resort.
2) Thus, some buildings are far away from the action.
3) As with some others, there is a
. . . central eatery and check-in building
. . . main pool area
. . . satellite pools
. . . activities area
. . . several bus stops

NOTE: It is relatively new, but with the exception of different style roof cupolas, the buildings all look alike and are laid-out alike. Reminds one of a large apartment complex.

SSR is my home resort and I love it but it is huge ! We always stay in Congress Park because it is only a short walk to DTD and an even shorter walk to themain building :wizard:

Springs is the closest to hospitality house, but there are a couple of buildings in Grandstand that are even closer than some of the Springs buildings. We stayed in the closest Grandstand building to the main building twice and we only had to cross the street (golf cart street) If you want to walk to DTD a lot, choose Congress. I don't think that SSR is "huge" like other people are saying, but everyone is different in their perceptions. I agree it is hard to judge by a map.

We stayed right across from the main pool ....we'd walk to downtown disney in the morning for breakfast at WPE....it was a really nice walk....oh and I have wee short legs too....lol.
It is a huge resort...I would also request near to main pool or if you plan on walking to downtown disney ...Congress Park. Also great view of DD from there.

We have stayed in Springs, Grandstand, Congress Park and Paddock (twice). We have walked to DTD from each section; my husband goes to the main area every morning for breakfast and I go later to the spa. I don't mind the walking and I've never felt that any section was too far away.

We do not have children and we prefer to stay in Congress or Paddock. It's quieter there; the quiet pool is very nice.

If you don't want to do a lot of walking and you are going to rely on WDW transportation, I would pick request Grandstand. It's the first bus stop within the resort. Springs can be a bit closer to the main area, but it's the last bus stop and often the bus will be croweded with SSR guests from other locations by the time it stops for the pickup at Springs.

If you have your own car; then I'd request Springs first and Grandstand second.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter