• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Home from 4 Day Wonder, Any Questions?

MTMom

Disney Addict
Just got home from a wonderful four day cruise on the Wonder. Our children really enjoyed the Oceaneers Club. We felt like the food was improved from our cruise last February. The weather was mild, but the slight breeze kept us a little cooler than we'd have liked. Just wondering if anyone has any questions, while the cruise is still fresh in my mind.

We are going on our first cruise in August on the WOnder for 4 days. I am glad to hear you thought the food was improved. I have heard that the food was ok but not execellent.
Have the menu selections changed or are they still the same?
Thanks.

Well I'm glad the food is getting better, I am not expecting anything exceptional from Disney. When we go to WDW we always say the Mesquite BBQ flavor is everywhere even in the air. If anyone has gone to the Hoop De doo revue you'll know what I'm talking about.
We do live in New York, so we are accustom to good food.
I primed DH that it will be "Disney" food, but the kids club is second to none. So he's excited about going.

How long did it take you to get to airport after disembarkation?

Well I'm glad the food is getting better, I am not expecting anything exceptional from Disney. When we go to WDW we always say the Mesquite BBQ flavor is everywhere even in the air. If anyone has gone to the Hoop De doo revue you'll know what I'm talking about.
We do live in New York, so we are accustom to good food.
I primed DH that it will be "Disney" food, but the kids club is second to none. So he's excited about going.

How long did it take you to get to airport after disembarkation?

Glad u had a great time

A couple questions:
1. What temp were the evenings, light jackets necessary?
2. What's the earliest you can board the ship?
3. What's the earliest you can make Palo reservations?
4. Anything you wished you had brought but didn't?
5. Buying stuff (ie. Disney autograph books,shirts etc) on board, is it expensive?

Thanks, only 11 more days!!:bounce:

mystery mouse
1) Most of the evening activities (except sailaway parties) take place inside. But, they keep it cool (about 65), so I'd bring a light jacket or sweater. The women in the sexy spaghetti strap tops always seem extremely cold to me. If you do want to stroll on the deck at night, I'd definately bring a jacket. Also, it's very windy.
2) Not exactly sure, but I think it's noon.
3) When you get to your stateroom, you will find your Navigator and your dining rotation. The Navigator will list the times that you can make Palo ressies and it is usually 1:30 to 3:30 in Wavebands.
4) Wished I had brought an extra seasickness patch (mine came off in the shower). We had 10 foot seas the first night out, and lots of people got sick.
5) From what I can tell, the prices on board are the same as in WDW, so yes, they are expensive. I recommend purchasing a Disney photo album to keep your vacation pics in.

Mjasp
Good news here. We walked off the ship at 7:45 (we stood in line about 10 minutes until customs cleared the ship and the doors opened). We couldn't check our bags at the NW counter because our flight left before noon, but it was no problem to have the porter put them onto the airport bus. We arrived at the airport at 9:10, stood in line at the counter to check our bags, and made it to our gate by 10:10. Our flight left at 10:45.

mystery mouse
I think that some of the items have changed, but not many. The menu at AP is the same, except if you get to eat there two times (4 day cruise) they offer the WDW Chef's menu, which is OK. I don't go to AP for the food. Palo's offers different choices each evening, but the menu appeared similar to last year's. Be sure and order the chocolate souffle for dessert. I'm sorry but I can't remember what Triton's offered last year, but we enjoyed our meal very much. Everything else, including the BBQ at Castaway Cay is the same. If you are interested in more specifics, I'd post a separate thread inquiring about the menus. Oh, and be prepared with seasickness medicine in August. I've been told that the seas are rougher in the summer months than the winter/spring months.

Heading to Poly in three days and the Wonder in seven!!!

I would like a few more details about the weather... was it shorts and t-shirt weather during days? Was it cool when you started out in the morning and needed jackets? And did it cool off considerably during the evenings? I am trying to figure out how many long sleeves/pants to pack.

Also, how was the water at Castaway Cay?

Finally, did you do anything special while at Nassau that you could recommend? We are planning to go to Nassau for an hour or so but plan to spend the rest of the day on the ship... nothing is tempting us too much on shore at Nassau.

Thanks for offering your experiences and advice!! We are so excited for this weekend!

Temps were mild (mid to high 70s), we wore shorts and T shirts during the day. Even so, I'd bring a wind breaker if you are cold natured. By the pool, when the sun was shining, laying out in a bathing suit was popular. But when the sun went behind a cloud, and there was a breeze, it was uncomfortable. We packed about half and half; half for warm temps and the other half for cool temps. We also stayed at the Poly for 3 days prior to our cruise, and it was quite cold at WDW (we had rain). I'd check the weather report, but be prepared for anything. I'm sorry I can't help you out a whole lot, just make sure you have a little of everything.

The water at Castaway Cay was cold (<80 degrees I heard), but it didn't keep too many people (children) from enjoying it. I swam out to the rope drop platform and back (so my 5 year old could jump), and it was fine once I was in.

We swam with the dolphins at Nassau, and I highly recommend it. Apart from that, just pretend it's a day at sea. The ship clears out and there are a lot less people on board.

And I know that you didn't ask about WDW, but I just have to tell about the wonderful experience we had dining at Epcot in the World Showcase. It was called Bistro de Paris (not to be confused with the cafe downstairs called Chefs de Paris) and it's in the France showcase at Epcot. Superb! Excellent service, absolutely DELICIOUS food, great view of Illuminations (trees slightly block view). It's very expensive, but worth every penny.

Have a great trip! Enjoy the new pool at Poly, and I'll say a little prayer for you for sunny weather!

Hi:Wave:
Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Do you happen to remember if they offered any future cruise discounts while you were on board? If so, were the savings offered significant? Thanks

We just got back from the same cruise....

The movies I can remember were
Return to Neverland
Snow Dogs
Legally Blonde
Count of Monte Cristo
Monsters, Inc

Are you posting a trip report? I would like to know more about your dolphin swim. My girls 8 and 6 would love to do it, but for the expense and time, is it worth it? I've also read where you take the time getting there, standing in line, then only have a few minutes while they snap your picture with the dophin and it's someone else's turn.

Do you by chance have the Navigators for the Children's programs. I am particularly looking for age 10-12. Would it be possible to e-mail or fax to me? We are on the 4/14 Wonder and DS is asking lots of ???s Thanks!

Joe and Joanne - I never asked about this, but I believe that they offer on-board credit, as opposed to savings, to book a future cruise while still on the ship. I suggest posting a separate thread asking this particular question. There are plenty of people who know EXACTLY what this incentive is, and will be able to advise you on whether or not it's a good deal. In my experience, I think that booking directly w/Disney is not the cheapest way to go. Most travel agents will discount Disney rates AND offer on board credit (Dreams Unlimited, for example).

DaltonsdoDisney - I don't think I'm going to get around to a trip report, since I'm leaving for Europe in less than a week. But I'll be happy to fill you in on the Dolphin Encounter. There are actually two different excursions, that both take place at Blue Lagoon Island with Dolphins Encounters. One is offered by Disney as one of their "official" excursions, it is the "Encounter". The other needs to be booked directly thru Dolphin Encounters (website) and is the "Swim". We did the "Swim". This is where you actually get into the water with the dolphins while they are swimming all around you. It was really fun! It lasted about 30-40 minutes, and you get to "dance" with the dolphins, kiss the dolphins, feed the dolphins, have the dolphins jump over you and your family, and also the INCREDIBLE foot push (see photos on website). This must be booked in advance, if you wait too long, they'll be all booked up. We were not able to do this last year, but I booked early this year and got in (two months).

I was able to watch the "encounter" group the entire time (the platform was right next to ours), and they were all having a great time too. You just don't actually get into the water and swim, but stand in waist deep water with them. You get to touch, hug, feed (I think) etc. the dolphins. It seemed to me that it was much more than just a quick pat and a picture. Their group was on the platform about the same length of time that ours was.

The "swim" is $150 pp, quite high, but worth it. I'd be happy to answer any other questions about this experience. I highly recommend it. Have fun! They take great photos and also video.

Did you do the land/sea package? If not how long was the check in line at the port and what time did you get there.
Im assuming on the shorter cruises the check in may not be so long as the 7 day because some passesngers have done the l/s and have already checked in. Last cruise we got to just walk right on, but Im curious how it will be checking in this time.
Thanks and glad you had a good trip!

YES! Did you meet Jack Diamond or anyone else from MIX107.3?

Our local radio station's morning program was broadcasting live from the Wonder this week! We were so jealous!

Kathy

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :pinkbounc :pinkbounce

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter