• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just got off Royal Caribbean, nothing compares to DCL!

We are cruising both DCL and RCL now and find service and food similar. Actually our daughter likes RCL kids'club better for they (RCL) seem more flexable on what the group wants to do for activities as well as the group usuing more of the outside decks for activities. The Dreamworks part is such a small part of the cruise it really does not affect us much. We like the diversity of the entertainment on RCL better for we just got off the Dream and they still are running the same variation of shows we saw years ago. That gets tired after a while. For us the price difference is a plus for we can get a suite on RCL for the price of a room on DCL. Each has pluses and we have never been on a bad cruise........except for NCL.....:furious:...never again.

We have cruised the Disney Dream 3 times & every time it was fantastic with over the top service . We just did a week long Disney Fantasy cruise & the service was exactly the same , top notch .
The only thing I wish Disney would change is on the Dream is their shows , 3 cruises , 3 different years & still the same shows !!!

Short duration cruises are a whole different atmosphere with frantic pax trying to do everything. IMO this makes the CM's nuts too. ;)

Dream used for newbie CM's more than other ships.

I am curious about this. I do not doubt others opinions but I know our experience differed.

Now it was the DCL Wonder we were on for two 3 day cruises in different years but we thought the service and food was far better than three longer cruises on Carnival (5 day) and RCL (7 day).

I will readily admit food is very subjective and we have seen relatives we have cruised with shoveling in food with great pleasure while we were completely turned off by the same meal.

Having been on ships big and small we also like the smaller ships. I have to admit we would like to try the Oasis some day.

We are cruising both DCL and RCL now and find service and food similar. Actually our daughter likes RCL kids'club better for they (RCL) seem more flexable on what the group wants to do for activities as well as the group usuing more of the outside decks for activities. The Dreamworks part is such a small part of the cruise it really does not affect us much. We like the diversity of the entertainment on RCL better for we just got off the Dream and they still are running the same variation of shows we saw years ago. That gets tired after a while. For us the price difference is a plus for we can get a suite on RCL for the price of a room on DCL. Each has pluses and we have never been on a bad cruise........except for NCL.....:furious:...never again.

good information, thanks for sharing! It only takes one bad experience!

We have cruised the Disney Dream 3 times & every time it was fantastic with over the top service . We just did a week long Disney Fantasy cruise & the service was exactly the same , top notch .
The only thing I wish Disney would change is on the Dream is their shows , 3 cruises , 3 different years & still the same shows !!!

I can see why it would be a little frustrating to see the same shows cruise after cruise. We just saw Saturday Night Fever in February on RCI and it was fantastic! The kids weren't with us, but I think they would have loved it!

It does get tiring seeing the same shows over and over for frequent Disney cruisers, at least for me, but the shows on other lines are so sub-par that I can't quit comparing the quality. Especially when the show girls try to kick in unison, drives me nuts!!!!

The only show I enjoyed on our last Royal Caribbean was the ice show.

I hate to say this, but my reaction was the exact opposite. I got off the Dream and could not figure our how Disney continued to charge so much more for their product. Service was not good and ship had no charm.

My Disney cruises are all going to be on the older ships. If I want a megaship experience I can get the same or better for less on RCL

Said the same last month after I came off the Wonder. Not impressed. Not when I could go for a week in a balcony on another line for what was paid for 5 nights in an inside. Food was not that impressive, and what is with everything shutting down at midnight???

. . . We just saw Saturday Night Fever in February on RCI and it was fantastic!
I agree. We saw Saturday Night Fever on RCI in November and it was excellent. I was particularly impressed that the music is performed live by the ship's orchestra.

Woody

We (Dis fans) have all heard this before, but just got off a RC cruise (no kids this trip) and after being on the Fantasy - NOTHING COMPARES to the quality, staff, food, cleanliness, and beauty of DCL! We have cruised RC 6 other times, we had a great cruise don't get me wrong, but again, nothing compares. Most important thing for us to note as parents, is the the RC ships and environment in general is not what we would desire for our kids to be around - again, don't get me wrong, they would have a great time and it's safe, but after experiencing DCL, it would be like having McDonalds after eating at LeCellier - we like McD's, but we love LeCellier! Bottom line, DCL is the most family friendly and children friendly cruiseline. We enjoyed the Dreamworks characters on RC this time, but..... please, need I say more, not the same, no pixie dust.pixiedust:

So, they point is people, don't fret the small details and over planning of your DCL cruise, you will love it, you will have a blast, and you will be on a beautiful ship no matter which one you are on.:thumbsup2

Very interesting. Just read a super review of the Oasis vs. DCL - quite a different opinion than yours. That's why it's good that there are so many options out there!

Very interesting. Just read a super review of the Oasis vs. DCL - quite a different opinion than yours. That's why it's good that there are so many options out there!

actually, I agree with most of the content of that review, that reviewer also notes slight edges going to DCL for overall customer service and a few other areas. And my review of RCI was based on not sailing with our children. Overall, I agree they each have their pros and cons, my main point is the attention to the children and the family friendly environment on DCL was exceptional. We will be trying the Oasis/Allure with our children when my DD gets a little bit older.:)

I am curious about this. I do not doubt others opinions but I know our experience differed.

Now it was the DCL Wonder we were on for two 3 day cruises in different years but we thought the service and food was far better than three longer cruises on Carnival (5 day) and RCL (7 day).

I will readily admit food is very subjective and we have seen relatives we have cruised with shoveling in food with great pleasure while we were completely turned off by the same meal.

Having been on ships big and small we also like the smaller ships. I have to admit we would like to try the Oasis some day.

I have no doubt your short cruises with DCL were "better" than longer ones with "those" competitors. And if you try DCL on longer itineraries I'm confident you will notice a difference in service compared to those short sailings. IMO

I never mentioned food. I have to stay away from that subjective animal.

I was attempting to imply the longer the sailing the more relaxed the PAX and crew are. It offers time, to get to know each other, and allows for a more intimate and relaxed experience for the crew and PAX. Which somehow translates into a better experience than the shorter sailings.
That's all. :goodvibes

During my NCL cruise in Hawaii that starts a week from today :-)cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:) I will be wearing my navy DCL-T shirt and my black golf shirt with the DCL concierge keys on the chest that Rodrigo sold me on the Dream.

During my NCL cruise in Hawaii that starts a week from today :-)cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:) I will be wearing my navy DCL-T shirt and my black golf shirt with the DCL concierge keys on the chest that Rodrigo sold me on the Dream.

Have fun and good luck. Go easy on that US crew. ;)

I know it's a hotel, but ....

Just wait till the Breakaway. ;) I cant wait. One more DCL and we are on the Getaway. :thumbsup2

Ok so I only read about 2 pages but what struck me is the op said how bad the smoking was on rccl. Now my daughter has asthma and the smell of smoke repulses her. So bad that driving in a car ,windows rolled up we can smell the smoke of others smoking around us!!!! Now on Disney my kids obviously don't go to quiet cove so smoke doesn't bother them. Just wondering if rccl is worth going on???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter