Just got back - the highlights!

DharmaLou

Once a Princess, Always a Princess
And I'm happy to say it's 99% highlights with very little disappointment!

First, THANK YOU to all the DISers who answered questions and were so helpful over the past year. It's funny, during the trip DH found the DIS boards & was telling me all about it. I had to break it to him that you guys are the ones that pointed us in the right direction throughout the trip! :thumbsup2

Here are the lowlights: DD4 hated any and all indoor rides. She's somewhat sensitive to loud noises/high volume, and most all the rides are pretty loud. Combine that with a little fear of the dark, and most all indoor rides were out. Yes, even Small World (the little popping fireworks in the China section scared her. Sigh.). The indoor rides she went on were Small World, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Roger Rabbit, Pooh & Nemo. That's it. For real. Sigh.

Only other lowlight, and it wasn't enough to ruin anything or make us late but We were about 10th in line to get in to DCA yesterday. Lines were crazy long, so being 10th meant we got there EARLY. Well, the 3rd guy in line all of a sudden has his family of FIFTEEN (I'm not even kidding, sadly) join him in line 3 minutes before they opened gates. AND it was their first day and they had to sign all their tickets, so on and so forth. It took over 5 minutes.

That was IT for lowlights! For 4 days that's pretty good!

3 of the 4 mornings we started at Disneyland. The final morning we started at DCA.

4 days was a perfect amount of time, though two days in a row is tough. My feet want a divorce! I wear a FitBit and I averaged 10.5 miles walked each day!

The first day was spent getting used to the park and meeting characters. And realizing DD didn't like indoor rides. We took advantage of our Photo Pass + and had a lot of family photos taken and DD's photos with a dozen characters or so. I highly recommend the PP+! Our photographers were great - especially with our family photos! We stayed about 9 hours (it was our MM) and then went back to nap for a bit and returned in the evening and went to Cars Land. We ate at Flo's and watched some performances and walked around Paradise Pier.

Our 2nd day started out with Fantasyland, Matterhorn & more princesses - I was first in line to meet my girl-crush Merida, we rode Dumbo, tea cups and and the carousel 3 times each & then got our hair did at BBB. DH spent the first hour and a half riding Star Tours, Space Mountain, & Buzz... lather, rinse, repeat. We then headed to DCA for a lunch at Ariel's.

One thing I'll mention here, as we had 3 character meals is that they're GREAT - but I honestly didn't enjoy the MEAL part because I was spending all my time getting ready for characters, getting the autograph book ready, camera ready, etc. I just felt rushed. DD LOVED the experience, though.

After lunch we hit the Symphony Swings, Zephyr, Jellyfish & Fun Wheel over & over & over DD LOVED the Swings the best. We watched the Pixar parade then hit Mater's & some Bugs Land rides before heading back to the hotel for a while. That night we went back to DCA again and rode the PP rides again... and again... and rode Luigi's. DH and DD loved Luigi's, I thought it was ok but not worth a 40 minute wait. We ALL loved Mater's though - and honestly, Mater speaking spanish while in the queue was my favorite lol.

Our 3rd day DH & DD hit Fantasyland for the usual (teacups, Dumbo, etc) & I hit Star Tours & Space Mountain, then DD & I had breakfast with Minnie & Friends while DH went to POTC, HM & BTMRR. DD & I met him over there afterward & we finally met DD's favorite guy - Jack Skellington! I then hit up HM & we all went on Winnie the Pooh (DD hated it... sigh). Then we split up again and I did POTC & they went back to... the teacups lol. We hit a number of rides before heading back to the hotel to rest for a while, including Nemo, Astro Orbiters, Autopia and... the teacups. We returned to Disneyland again in the evening and DH and I used FPs for Space Mountain & Star Tours & also hit... you guessed it, teacups and Dumbo. Twice.

Our 4th day was Thanksgiving and we started at DCA. At rope drop I headed straight to the single rider line for RSR & DH/DD went to Soarin' for FPs and then to Paradise Pier for... swings, zephyr & jellyfish. I was about 30th in line in single rider & got on in about 5 minutes. I then met DH/DD & he left for Screamin' & TSMM & I took DD on the Fun Wheel, swings, zephyr & jellyfish. DH then left for single rider RSR and there was an hour 20 wait. DD got to dance in the Phineas & Ferb show and we hit up Bug's Land rides before getting a snack at Cozy Cones. DH & I then split up to use our FPs for Soarin' (it's an indoor ride, we didn't even bother with DD) & then headed back to rest up before Thanksgiving dinner at Goofy's. We had a GREAT dinner there, then headed to Disneyland in time for the parade. After the parade... guess what rides we hit? Teacups & Dumbo. I'm still dizzy. For real. We had a few last photos taken in front of the castle & bid our farewells.

Summation: We didn't see WOC, Fantasmic or Fireworks. DD would not have liked F! & hates the noise from fireworks. We just didn't get to WOC, though we wanted to. I'm bummed about all of these, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

YES, the week of Thanksgiving can get super busy. HOWEVER, if you can get yourself there at rope drop & hit up rides that aren't huge hits (or have someone head to get FPs for them) you can get on quite a few rides. Day 2 I rode Matterhorn 4 times in a row without having to get off. That was my first ride (while DD/DH did... teacups). At 9:30 on Weds I walked on HM at 10:00 I had a 5 min wait at POTC. Thanksgiving Day while everyone was at Cars Land, we were riding Swings, Zephyr & Jellyfish 3 times in a row without having to get off. We got to go arounnd 4 times on the fun wheel and DH had a 5 min wait at Screamin' at 9am. TSMM was also at 10 minutes then (but 40 minutes 30 minutes later). I highly recommend getting there at rope drop if you can because you'll get SO much done in a short time.

Finally, we stayed at HoJo. We had a great experience there and would definitely recommend it to anyone. We stayed in building 1 facing the 5 and we had no freeway noise. It was great!

Can't wait to get back!!

Sounds like a great trip! And you guys are great parents, and good sports, and deserve an award for most rides on the teacups in one trip! One trip we took my son loved Tarzan's Treehouse. Guess what we walked through every time we passed by! I think when you can just roll with things, and not sweat the small stuff, like you did, it makes the trips so much better. You'll just have to start planning another trip to take in the shows. DD may be older and not mind the noise so much. Thanks for the fun trip report :)

P.S. I love my Fitbit, but forgot to bring it last trip. I bet you had a huge number of steps if you went 10 miles!

Thanks for the great trip report! I'm happy to hear that the crowds were manageable! It sounds like you guys had a great time and a great attitude :)

Last year our DD was 5 and the only thing she wanted to ride was Space Mountain over and over and over and OVER. I never thought I could get sick of that ride until that trip LOL! But a million times on the teacups, wow. You guys are great sports! :)

Sounds like an amazing trip. My daughter is the same way with the dark and noises. She only goes on most dark rides b/c her older brother does, but she doesn't really enjoy them. Loved the roller coasters and even went on Tower of Terror. Crazy girl. Makes no sense!

We've never done F! at WDW, but I'm thinking of trying it since she'll be 6 for this trip. Not sure though... She still hates fireworks.

Your report has me even more excited though. We're the same way. We'll miss out on some stuff, but do the kids' current favorites more times than we can count!

Sounds like a great trip! I was watching the teacups on You Tube today, I was getting dizzy just watching it!!!!! We are going 2 weeks from this Sunday. We will sleep over Sat night to be there early on Sunday am. How early did you get to the gates? Like 30 minutes before opening, or earlier than that? We will be in the parks Sunday Dec 9th and Monday the 10th. I hope it is dead!!!! Wishful thinking! LOL
I am going to plan the must do rides, then kind of go with the flow. We are doing Ariels grotto, at 1pm on the 9th. DD is 5, she will be 6 in April, she may drop dead in shock!!!!! I am sooooo excited for her. Was your DD shy with the characters?

I plan on the parade, maybe the FWs and maybe the WOC. I am thinking since you can see it on You tube, up close, I will try but it is not going to be a "kill myself" getting there.

If you don't mind me asking how much was the bill at AG. For us it will be me, DH and DD. The CM said an automatic 15% is added for the tip. I'm thinking it will be around $130-$150 with taxes and tip?????

How early did you get to the gates? Like 30 minutes before opening, or earlier than that? We will be in the parks Sunday Dec 9th and Monday the 10th. I hope it is dead!!!! Wishful thinking! LOL

I am going to plan the must do rides, then kind of go with the flow. We are doing Ariels grotto, at 1pm on the 9th. DD is 5, she will be 6 in April, she may drop dead in shock!!!!! I am sooooo excited for her. Was your DD shy with the characters?

If you don't mind me asking how much was the bill at AG. For us it will be me, DH and DD. The CM said an automatic 15% is added for the tip. I'm thinking it will be around $130-$150 with taxes and tip?????

For our MM we got there before they even opened the bag check line. I want to say about 6:15! But for the other mornings we got there at about 7:15 for an 8am open. Thanksgiving a bit earlier because we knew it would be crazy & it was. They open the turnstiles at 7:45 and then have rope drop at 8.

I would think that week would be much slower than Thanksgiving week, though.

DD was pretty good with the characters. She talked to them all, but not a ton. Periwinkle commented that her voice must have shrunk to Pixie size when she came in to see her :cutie: But she and Aurora had a few good conversations, as she did with a few other princesses.

I believe the total came to $128 for Ariel's for 2 adults, a child and gratuity. We just had soft drinks, no alcohol with our meal.

Have fun!!!

Oh, and for the fitbit - I averaged about 21,000 steps a day. My feet still hate me :furious:

For our MM we got there before they even opened the bag check line. I want to say about 6:15! But for the other mornings we got there at about 7:15 for an 8am open. Thanksgiving a bit earlier because we knew it would be crazy & it was. They open the turnstiles at 7:45 and then have rope drop at 8.

I would think that week would be much slower than Thanksgiving week, though.

DD was pretty good with the characters. She talked to them all, but not a ton. Periwinkle commented that her voice must have shrunk to Pixie size when she came in to see her :cutie: But she and Aurora had a few good conversations, as she did with a few other princesses.

I believe the total came to $128 for Ariel's for 2 adults, a child and gratuity. We just had soft drinks, no alcohol with our meal.

Have fun!!!

Oh, and for the fitbit - I averaged about 21,000 steps a day. My feet still hate me :furious:

Your DD was probably speechless! So cute!!!! We will not be having alcohol, so that is good a little less than I expected. One more ? how long were you in AG? If we go at 1pm, thinking about an hour total?

Yeah, I'd anticipate an hour to be safe. You'll get 4 princesses + Ariel who is there at the beginning, and your meal is 3 courses.

We had a similiar experience in WDW. We took noise reducing headphones ($15 on amazon) for our DL trip this year and it made ALL the difference. While I don't think they reduce much noise DS does and he went on ALL the indoor rides.

Our 3rd day DH & DD hit Fantasyland for the usual (teacups, Dumbo, etc) & I hit Star Tours & Space Mountain, then DD & I had breakfast with Minnie & Friends while DH went to POTC, HM & BTMRR. DD & I met him over there afterward & we finally met DD's favorite guy - Jack Skellington! I then hit up HM & we all went on Winnie the Pooh (DD hated it... sigh). Then we split up again and I did POTC & they went back to... the teacups lol. We hit a number of rides before heading back to the hotel to rest for a while, including Nemo, Astro Orbiters, Autopia and... the teacups. We returned to Disneyland again in the evening and DH and I used FPs for Space Mountain & Star Tours & also hit... you guessed it, teacups and Dumbo. Twice.

Glad you had a good trip!

Where is Jack Skellington located? Is it a meet and greet?

Nightmare Before Christmas is my boys current favorite movie and they would LOVE to meet Jack Skellington!!!

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter